World Cup 2018 - General discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Just did one of those simulations and got England in group H with Germany, Iran and Nigeria. Brazil and Spain were in group G!

Guess that's pretty much nightmare scenario number 1?
Not really, even England should be beating Iran and Nigeria

diarm

Not really, even England should be beating Iran and Nigeria
More in terms of Brazil or Spain in the next round. There really isn't anyone in Pots 3 and 4 England shouldn't be able to beat. Except Iceland obviously.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
BBC two is showing it live.

Can't believe Lineker is hosting it, what a hypocrite. :lol:

Angelinho

Lineker's response:

The golden boot winner defended himself. “There is a new guard,” he said. “If it were still Blatter and his brigade I would not have done it. I was approached by [Fifa’s technical development director] Marco van Basten and [deputy general secretary] Zvonimir Boban. They are two good football people. I hope and think Fifa is changing. New people deserve a chance to prove it is, we will see.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/30/russia-2018-world-cup-draw-shadow-olympic-doping

Charles Miller

Rubbish competition for rubbish people, means nothing, a big waste of money, a non-entertaining circus. This world cup malarkey should just be abolished

Should play the world cup of curling is instead, now that's a real competition everyone wants to watch
In the olimpics i started watching Curling to mock it but sadly in the end i became a fan.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
They'll do everything in their power not to let England be drawn in Russia's group or play in the same cities as Russia do after the trouble in 2016.

The Purley King

Hi caf,
I made a World Cup quiz for a work thing tonight.
28 points to get....
Link is here don’t worry it’s not dodgy or anything just the easiest way to share it.
What do you think? Too easy/hard?
http://jmp.sh/A94NmYV

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I want England from second pot so much. South American teams usually mean boring games against us (based on friendlies), Switzerland are boring, Spain would spank us and I just don't feel Croatia that much although I would definitely prefer them over remaining 6 teams other than England.

Then Senegal/Costa Rica and Australia/Japan/Nigeria and it would be a perfect draw. I don't really want a boring group in the mould of Peru, Egypt and Saudi Arabia etc.

AshRK

I want to see Argentina England in the Sam group. Always loved their rivalry. France Senegal rematch from 2002 would he tasty. Belgium-Spain for de gea v. Lukaku

Judas

Open to offers
So the draw starts at 3pm, what time do we think it'll ACTUALLY start though? I can't be bothered to sit through dull montage after montage.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
France
England
Sengal
Australia

Would be a fun group to watch at least for me personally, best case scenario for Australia would be imo.

Russia
Switzerland
Egypt
Australia.

Needham

Iran football fans' advice for presenter's dress
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-42107916
"I urge you avoid to wearing a sexy dress during the draw so it is possible for us to watch the draw completely. We cannot watch when you wear revealing clothes."
"This is very important. We would like see you live without censor and this matter depends on your dress."
An approvingly quoted tweet from that BBC report:

Hamid‏ @hamidoddin 11 18
Please dress yourself in a appropriate way acceptable for every culture. Thanks.

There's another viewpoint on that guy's timeline, thankfully:

the living mortal‏ @Keyumars2
@hamidoddin @komandnaya
As an iranian i think that what u r doing is shameful and u r collaborating with our dictators by repeating and ligitimizing their point of view. Iranians love football but remember that there are many things that are so much more important for us than watching a ceremony.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
For Spain I'd like Brasil/Argentina.I think that they would see a good Spain instead the one of confederations Cup,although Poland could be nice too,to beat them and make fun of my brothers in law for years :devil:.
Not too worried about the pot C and D.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
In the olimpics i started watching Curling to mock it but sadly in the end i became a fan.
I even looked up the Curling rules and the scoring system on Wikipedia so I could understand the tactics :D.

I assume the World Cup is the same thing for people who don't normally watch football, and even for me personally, this and the Euros are probably the only time I really pay attention to international football.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
So the draw starts at 3pm, what time do we think it'll ACTUALLY start though? I can't be bothered to sit through dull montage after montage.
They'll do a couple of hours of build-up musical extravaganza then we'll get down to business and they'll switch to the team who did the League Cup draw, and the screen will go blank. The groups will suddenly appear on Twitter a couple of hours later.

YetAnotherCityFan

Supports
Manchester City
Whoever we draw, the results will be as follows:

A 1-0 win from a late header from a corner by one of the CBs
A 1-1 draw with a country we really should be beating
A dull 0-0 draw in which Kane misses a penalty

We'll then get knocked out in the next round by the easiest team we could've faced.

:)

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Whoever we draw, the results will be as follows:

A 1-0 win from a late header from a corner by one of the CBs
A 1-1 draw with a country we really should be beating
A dull 0-0 draw in which Kane misses a penalty

We'll then get knocked out in the next round by the easiest team we could've faced.

:)
:lol: Yep, nailed it!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Came in to ask this. Think I'll tune in an hour later than scheduled.

devil in me

Hopefully England draw Brazil or argentina in the groups. Gives us chance of a big game to look forward to, and seeing as its highly unlikely we get out of the groups then that's our only chance.

Blind

So much for those stick it to the man leftie tweets eh Gary, what a thunderous hypocritical twat.

Status
Not open for further replies.