World Cup punditry and commentator watch

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
John Hartson said during the game the other day that the hottest he has ever been was during a qualifier against Tunisia where they were 4 nil down at ht. Have I missed something, when and why did Wales play Tunisa in a qualifier??

Jenas is painful, and Andros Townsend has been poor (which is strange as he is usually decent on the radio).

Dion Dublin is quality always liked the big man. Not long before he steps into the presenter role, wouldn't be surprised to see him present MOTD once Lineker goes.

Good to have Tyldsley on, just reminds me of growing up with us playing in the CL.

CallyRed

Martin Tyler probably can't get too excited incase he has an accident. At that age you have to take it easy.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
John Hartson said during the game the other day that the hottest he has ever been was during a qualifier against Tunisia where they were 4 nil down at ht. Have I missed something, when and why did Wales play Tunisa in a qualifier??

Jenas is painful, and Andros Townsend has been poor (which is strange as he is usually decent on the radio).

Dion Dublin is quality always liked the big man. Not long before he steps into the presenter role, wouldn't be surprised to see him present MOTD once Lineker goes.

Good to have Tyldsley on, just reminds me of growing up with us playing in the CL.
I don't think Townsend has been poor and Hartson meant a friendly.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never. The match did happen though, but it was a friendly.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The relentless ramblings of Jonathan Pearce

" *incoherent mumbling for first part of sentence*...A mind coach, the players don't have to talk to him but they can if they want"

"All over 6 feet tall which is unheard of these days"

"Jackson Irvine"

"Jackson Irvine"

"Jackson Irwin"

After not talking for approx 0.4 seconds "sorry was just choking to death there"

"A lot of emotional working the game"

"AUSTRALIA 0 DENMARK 0!!"

Chief123

Genuine question, is there anyone who actually enjoys the commentary when it’s a female? Do you find it better than a male commentator?

I just find it painful to listen to. It sounds so artificial as the voice really isn’t geared up to loud emotions when there’s a goal. Having just watched the Australia goal, the commentary was so cringe.

El Zoido

Danny Murphy is an idiot. He really can’t get his head around this fair play tiebreaker rule.

Steffa Barnesa

Danny Murphy is an idiot. He really can’t get his head around this fair play tiebreaker rule.
Poland were going through because they have fewer yellow cards, and he basically suggested they should start getting some more!

Add that to his bafflement that shots that hit the post aren't counted as shots on target the other day. I just wanted to be there beside him and ask him, when lining up to take a penalty do you aim to hit the post and have it bounce out?

El Zoido

Poland were going through because they have fewer yellow cards, and he basically suggested they should start getting some more!

Add that to his bafflement that shots that hit the post aren't counted as shots on target the other day. I just wanted to be there beside him and ask him, when lining up to take a penalty do you aim to hit the post and have it bounce out?
He also seemed to also think that Poland planned for a 2-0 loss prior to kickoff, apparently not comprehending that the only reason 2-0 was relevant was because Mexico were winning 2-0 in the other game. He just didn’t get it at all.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Genuine question, is there anyone who actually enjoys the commentary when it’s a female? Do you find it better than a male commentator?

I just find it painful to listen to. It sounds so artificial as the voice really isn’t geared up to loud emotions when there’s a goal. Having just watched the Australia goal, the commentary was so cringe.
It’s terrible. But in todays age people can’t seem to accept that certain jobs/roles are better geared towards one gender or another. So instead we get women’s commentary.

Honestly all of the Fox announcers besides Ian Darke I’ve hated.

Chief123

It’s terrible. But in todays age people can’t seem to accept that certain jobs/roles are better geared towards one gender or another. So instead we get women’s commentary.

Honestly all of the Fox announcers besides Ian Darke I’ve hated.
I honestly think people have become afraid to call it out for fear of being called sexist or non inclusive. The bare truth is women are just shite at commentating. It’s dreadful to listen to and sounds so fake and them over trying.

We’ve had some iconic football moments which leave lasting impressions often due to the commentary. Like “…and solskjaer has won it!”. Let the men commentate!

Judas

Open to offers
They were waxing lyrical about Spain about 5 seconds before Japan scored their first. Talking about how they hadn't lost a game in normal time in about 6 million years and could go all the way...
So? What's your point? The atmosphere and emotion they add is head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe you care more about that sort of shite, I don't. Commentators look like mugs with moments like that all the bloody time! Never heard of the commentators curse?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
So? What's your point? The atmosphere and emotion they add is head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe you care more about that sort of shite, I don't. Commentators look like mugs with moments like that all the bloody time! Never heard of the commentators curse?
Sorry I was just trying to say it was ill timed. I enjoy their commentary too

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I've not fact checked this but :nervous:

Pretty sure this is true. Its always been a thing that England play better when the BBC show their games.

Parma Dewol

I give up. So much incredible football to talk about and all these pundits can do is complain. May as well bring back Lawro.

I want to see more reaction from the fans and players.

Amarsdd

have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by the American commentators in Fox and FS1.

cyberman

ITV the worst pundits I've ever seen
The problem is it’s only noticeable now when we have no skin in the game but two of these are Sky presenters who routinely set the talking points every weekend.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
That was genuinely one of the worst things I've just witnessed from Itv. And it wasn't just souness, the presenter and Gary Neville were at it too. Not a word on Japan, just ranting about conspiracy theories. Absolutely bizzare

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
That was genuinely one of the worst things I've just witnessed from Itv. And it wasn't just souness, the presenter and Gary Neville were at it too. Not a word on Japan, just ranting about conspiracy theories. Absolutely bizzare
Total shitshow, they needed to just allocate a minute to it and move on to other talking points

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Absolutely. Why anybody employs Souness is beyond me. He’s as outdated as they come.

Yorke to Cole

France v Australia BBC1, Jonathan Pearce. Best commentator so far by a mile.
Not just who passed to who. And not talking non stop for the sake of it. But such a treat to listen to him.
Excellent.
Absolutely, agree. There's a tone his voice that makes you concentrate on the match, especially when it is tight and tense.

Best pundits have been Pablo Zabaleta and Gilberto Silva, with Klinsmann being consistent.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Absolutely, agree. There's a tone his voice that makes you concentrate on the match, especially when it is tight and tense.

Best pundits have been Pablo Zabaleta and Gilberto Silva, with Klinsmann being consistent.
Yes indeed, especially Zabaleta who is excellent.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Martin Keown on talksport still can't get his head around the fact that the entire ball wasn't over the line. "from the images I've seen, it was out".

Chief123

Martin Keown on talksport still can't get his head around the fact that the entire ball wasn't over the line. "from the images I've seen, it was out".
Martin Keown after Memphis opening goal today…

“Steve, this is one of the best goals you’ll see in football….in this World Cup.”

I didn’t realise they were also playing Golf and Snooker in this World Cup. :nervous:

He basically realised he went super hyperbole over it so had to tone it down in the same sentence.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
BBC commentary in this France vs Poland game is awful.

You could pick any two old men to commentate that have never played football before and they'd do better

68cob

BBC commentary in this France vs Poland game is awful.
You could pick any two old men to commentate that have never played football before and they'd do better
I watch on Iplayer and tried to sync the radio 5 commentary to it, as Vicky Sparks sounds awful to me, just as bad as Chris Sutton ... who just happens to be on radio 5! Can't win.
I did learn that the radio commentator is more knowledgeable though , as within minutes of him stating that Poland hadn't got out of the groups since 1986, Vicky Sparks said this was their first knockout game since 1982.

An hour later and she's corrected herself :D ... sort of, declaring this to be progress from 1986, even though they look like they're falling short at the same stage.

Last edited: