World Cup punditry and commentator watch

VivaRonaldo85

ITV has to be more bearable with less harmless presenters, Tyldsley & McCoist on comms and Neville & Keane as pundits. The BBC is all woke led by Lineker, Jenas & Scott, more interested in off field politics than the football itself.

Chief123

I really can’t stand John Hartson co-commentating. He’s shocking. He sounds like a kid who’s joined his dad at work for the day and constantly mithering the commentator who’s trying to do his job. Offers absolutely no insight other than stating the obvious and often the ridiculous.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
ITV has to be more bearable with less harmless presenters, Tyldsley & McCoist on comms and Neville & Keane as pundits. The BBC is all woke led by Lineker, Jenas & Scott, more interested in off field politics than the football itself.
oh yes, god forbid anyone speaks out about unfairness and injustice... and, as ever BBC's coverage is about 100 times better than ITV's waffle. Surprised they don't go to ad breaks every time there's a break in play. Never forget who showed us a repeat of Animals Behaving Badly (or whatever) instead of staying with the celebrations in Barcelona in 1999...

Gopher Brown

Hal Robson-Kanu with a cracking bit of insight this morning, "Y'know, for Cameroon, it's going to be very important to score goals." Thanks for that, Hal, glad your experience at Euro 2016 makes you qualified to say controversial statements like that.

I'm fed up with these uniformed, ignorant twats polluting the football coverage with their bland utterings. They are so afraid to say anything negative about any player or team that it just becomes a grey ooze dripping into your ears.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Had Vincent Kompany arrived to the game last night on his way home from a funeral? He looked and sounded utterly depressed. Has Burnley done that to him?

BBC need to add the no commentary feature, like Amazon have, because listening to nothing is better than Jermaine Jenas.

But at least I think we can all agree that Ally McCoist is the co-commentary king.

Chief123

Keep away from children
Wow he really is a clown!

Saka has literally done nothing of note in an England shirt so far. In the last 2 tournaments we got as far as we were expected to get with the routes we were given yet weren’t overly impressive in doing so. No way he justifies getting in England’s best ever. :lol:

Ole'sgunnarwin

Wow he really is a clown!

Saka has literally done nothing of note in an England shirt so far. In the last 2 tournaments we got as far as we were expected to get with the routes we were given yet weren’t overly impressive in doing so. No way he justifies getting in England’s best ever. :lol:
He barely played in them tournaments.

Nero

Someone needs to call Talkport's premium number and tell him he's wrong.

whitbyviking

The commentator last night in Belgium vs Canada was terrible, think it was the co-commentator

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I used to hate Pearce when he was on Capital Gold Sport but he's much better these days. He is really good in the WSL, shows respect to his pundit/co-commentator who played a game he didn't. Fast becoming my favourite although I'll always miss David Coleman (and to a lesser extent Motty, before he went Talkshite mad, and Barry Davies)
You are quite right about the WSL.

Edit. Tell you who I miss the most. Alan Green.
Not everyone cup of tea I know. But I just loved listening to his commentaries.
I saw Didier Drogba during the French match and it reminded me of his unforgettable commentary of the Chelsea CL final when Drogba scored the winning penalty.

Last edited:

Dan_F

I’d rather listen to the majority of the ITV pundits and commentary. Give me Ian Wright, Keane, Neville, Tyldsley, McCoist etc over Shearer, Jenas, Murphy any day.

Oranges038

Pat Fenlon on RTE sounds like he has to get all his words out before he runs out of air.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You are quite right about the WSL.

Edit. Tell you who I miss the most. Alan Green.
Not everyone cup of tea I know. But I just loved listening to his commentaries.
I saw Didier Drogba during the French match and it reminded me of his unforgettable commentary of the Chelsea CL final when Drogba scored the winning penalty.
I was just thinking about Green the other day. What's happened to him - I really liked his commentaries even if he was a Liverpool fan... I know he courted controversy on occasions but fair play to him over refusing to work at the Russian World Cup and for not being a huge of Mark Saggers!

hodgey123

Does anyone have any idea why the pundits and co-commentators are all just cliche machines? Do you think it is because they cannot be bothered to do any more in-depth research/preparation beforehand so just wheel off what they know, or do you think it's because they are just so boring that that is the extent of their insight, or is it because they are afraid to be controversial?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Does anyone have any idea why the pundits and co-commentators are all just cliche machines? Do you think it is because they cannot be bothered to do any more in-depth research/preparation beforehand so just wheel off what they know, or do you think it's because they are just so boring that that is the extent of their insight, or is it because they are afraid to be controversial?
It's not easy to always comes up with insightful infos doing something you have little time to prepare.

That on top of actually having to commentate live and looking for many small things that's happening real time.

At times they'll resort to few basic same old boring lines just to keep the commentary flowing.

There's only so much you can dig if you're doing like 30-40 session a year

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't think Gary Neville does that, which is one of the reasons I like him. If you hate this lot, I presume you are too young to remember the utter bollox Jimmy Hill used to spout...

RUUD_10_LEGEND

Did Danny Murphy seriously just ask why shots that hit the post aren't counted as shots on target?

CallyRed

Danny Murphy analysing the moment a player slipped. We have eyes mate.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The commentators are mostly decent, without anyone reaching the heights of a Barry Davies or a Brian Moore.

Co-commentators have been patchy - hardly anyone has that combination of enthusiasm and insight (aside from McCoist).

In the studio, most of the British lot are poor. Admittedly they're a lot better than the nadir about 10-15 years ago when they used to boast about how little they knew about foreign countries. Better prepared now, but I think the best contributions have been from Keane (around the politics), De Jong and Kompany (though he is a bit tentative).

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don't mind Shearer that much. But Jenas and Murphy are terrible. Bring back Lawro for the shitty morning games. His complete lack of interest and moaning was great.

studs

Haven't seen any games. Has Neville had his spill yet?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Murphy sounds like he’s forced to be there. Give me McCoist any day. Anyone who doesn’t take it too seriously and still has that joy of watching football. I love Ian Wright too. He’s great.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Hal Robson-Kanu with a cracking bit of insight this morning, "Y'know, for Cameroon, it's going to be very important to score goals." Thanks for that, Hal, glad your experience at Euro 2016 makes you qualified to say controversial statements like that.

I'm fed up with these uniformed, ignorant twats polluting the football coverage with their bland utterings. They are so afraid to say anything negative about any player or team that it just becomes a grey ooze dripping into your ears.
He’s inexperienced. Let him grow.

If you’re interested, he had a solid podcast with Kate Mason of The Football Ramble. He knows his onions. Just not quite there as a broadcaster yet. He’s not long retired.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I was just thinking about Green the other day. What's happened to him - I really liked his commentaries even if he was a Liverpool fan... I know he courted controversy on occasions but fair play to him over refusing to work at the Russian World Cup and for not being a huge of Mark Saggers!
His contract with BBC was not renewed, effectively sacked after such a long career commentating not just football but rowing at the Olympics. I complained to the BBC and they said that they wanted to appeal to younger audience.
Lots of people disliked him because he was too honest. But I thought he was great and treated extremely badly by the BBC.
Anyway. Good to hear that I was not alone.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
His contract with BBC was not renewed, effectively sacked after such a long career commentating not just football but rowing at the Olympics. I complained to the BBC and they said that they wanted to appeal to younger audience.
Lots of people disliked him because he was too honest. But I thought he was great and treated extremely badly by the BBC.
Anyway. Good to hear that I was not alone.
I guess at 70 that's not the worst thing that come happen to you, but yeh, I miss his honesty: especially when the game was awful and he dared to say so!

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

It’s actually been a very poor opening round if you take away the two massive shocks.