Gaming World of Warcraft (PC, Mac)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I’m back in. No idea how much I will commit to it but potentially for the first time since I first played 10 years ago, I might be able to enjoy content as it’s released.
Who are you kidding, you will commit to 8 hours a day 7 days a week, same as everyone :P

I will never fall for it again. I won't. I musn't.

Unless there's a vanilla caf clan? Is there?

No I don't want to.

I need help.

Simbo

Yeh I'm getting worrying hyped by this, everyone seems to be loving the beta.

I don't have the time for it, I don't, not even close :(

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Who are you kidding, you will commit to 8 hours a day 7 days a week, same as everyone :P

I will never fall for it again. I won't. I musn't.

Unless there's a vanilla caf clan? Is there?

No I don't want to.

I need help.
That is the single best idea I've heard on the caf since Attack The Space. I'm rolling Alliance because I love playing a holy paladin in raids and a shockadin (they were OP in patch 1.12) in PvP.

Kaos

That is the single best idea I've heard on the caf since Attack The Space. I'm rolling Alliance because I love playing a holy paladin in raids and a shockadin (they were OP in patch 1.12) in PvP.
If there’s a caf guild then please don’t make it an alliance one ffs.

The paladin raid armour in vanilla was pretty tasty though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If there’s a caf guild then please don’t make it an alliance one ffs.

The paladin raid armour in vanilla was pretty tasty though.
I ran around with lightforge(?) Pauldrons on my orc warrior until the might one dropped..:nervous:

Ekeke

Yeh I'm getting worrying hyped by this, everyone seems to be loving the beta.

I don't have the time for it, I don't, not even close :(
Honestly watching people play the beta, and playing the stress test myself it only made me appreciate retail WoW more.

Classic has so much annoying clunky stuff, bugs, bad itemization and class balance, and then watching people (mainly Asmongold) pretend PVE stuff is difficult when in fact my 6 year old brother was a molten core raider, yeah it doesnt work for me.

But I can log on retail and get through most of that stuff without as many bugs and issues far quicker and with less annoyances.

The only things I would take back from Vanilla are :

1) No crossed servers. In Vanilla the community was much better, because you actually needed the community. And toxic people ninja looting etc had a name and reputation. All good stuff.

2) 40 man raiding. When it went down to 25 man it just felt like the scale of the fights was a lot less exciting to me. Plus by that point I'd played with a lot of people I had enjoyed playing with.

I'd remove LFG I guess. Other than that theres not much to miss imo, as someone who has only been back playing for about a year and before that had an 11 year period where I didnt play, so I remember a lot of how WoW was in classic because I havent played much with the changes.

Cpt Negative

Never did get my boots of valor in Classic!

This can only be seen as a chance to redeem myself!

Hammerfell

Ugh Jesus, gross.

Ekeke

Anyone have any vanilla wow screenshots and vids?

I dont have my old screenshots from my old pcs, and my videos from the time were on google video which is now RIP. And my downloadable vids were on Filefront which is also RIP.

So I just have these from guild members' perspectives of Vanilla :

My Hunter was called Torres. Wasnt too happy to have the name 2 years later when Fernando signed for Liverpool :(:wenger::nervous:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I've been watching a bunch of streamers do an Amish challenge with the beta. It's a permadeath challenge, you can only craft your guilds gear (except dungeon weapons/jewelry) and your character can't be self sufficient.

Anyway, perhaps one of the best moments so far is this:

https://clips.twitch.tv/OddEagerAxeWow

He's watching a clip of one of his guild mates being killed, except the problem is that he's being attacked himself (top left). That's like 24 hours of leveling gone. :lol:

Oldyella

I am sure I will end up having a look, and will probably enjoy it. But nothing can recreate what was half the fun of original wow, discovering new areas, raids etc and basically learning the game with friends/guild mates.

Edit - can't see people raised on current editions being happy spending hours on the old instances which gave a real sense of achievement when you beat them.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Anyone have any vanilla wow screenshots and vids?

I dont have my old screenshots from my old pcs, and my videos from the time were on google video which is now RIP. And my downloadable vids were on Filefront which is also RIP.

So I just have these from guild members' perspectives of Vanilla :

My Hunter was called Torres. Wasnt too happy to have the name 2 years later when Fernando signed for Liverpool :(:wenger::nervous:
Thought you were "Rouge"...
People who couldn't spell rogue properly, was the worst thing about vanilla.

Grylte

I am sure I will end up having a look, and will probably enjoy it. But nothing can recreate what was half the fun of original wow, discovering new areas, raids etc and basically learning the game with friends/guild mates.

Edit - can't see people raised on current editions being happy spending hours on the old instances which gave a real sense of achievement when you beat them.
That's not the most important part of the original, though, that was the community. If someone ninjaed, or was being toxic, everyone would know, in live, people join the lfg/lfr and act like dicks, cause they will probably never meet again.
You also teamed up with randoms, just because you needed help with a quest... you actually communicated with people ingame that you didn't know.

Loved how you had to use cc to complete many dungeons, atleast before you were wearing raid gear. Had to actually plan, and play together, not just yolo through with everyone, including tanks, fighting for "winning" damage.

This guy explains it pretty well. Never heard of him, but aparantly got quite a few followers...

Ekeke

That's not the most important part of the original, though, that was the community. If someone ninjaed, or was being toxic, everyone would know, in live, people join the lfg/lfr and act like dicks, cause they will probably never meet again.
You also teamed up with randoms, just because you needed help with a quest... you actually communicated with people ingame that you didn't know.

Loved how you had to use cc to complete many dungeons, atleast before you were wearing raid gear. Had to actually plan, and play together, not just yolo through with everyone, including tanks, fighting for "winning" damage.

This guy explains it pretty well. Never heard of him, but aparantly got quite a few followers...

Yeah Preach is great.

And I completely agree about the need for community and communication being the main thing missing now from Vanilla.

I stopped playing shortly after The Burning Crusade came out. I had beta access, played it a bit, didnt like the look of it and wasnt too into it when it came out on live too. So I actually quit until a month before Battle for Azeroth came out. So I played the end of Legion and now BFA.

And I couldnt recognize the game when it comes to the community part. Sometimes that appeals to me, when I just want to play and not have to turn on my mic and talk to people. I do appreciate having that option. But it also feels quite hard to do the other side of things and have a conversation with someone you just met in a dungeon or something. Its something you absolutely can still do, but the culture is completely different because its not needed so a lot of people you meet don't want to talk at all and just rush through the dungeon.

Grylte

Yeah Preach is great.

And I completely agree about the need for community and communication being the main thing missing now from Vanilla.

I stopped playing shortly after The Burning Crusade came out. I had beta access, played it a bit, didnt like the look of it and wasnt too into it when it came out on live too. So I actually quit until a month before Battle for Azeroth came out. So I played the end of Legion and now BFA.

And I couldnt recognize the game when it comes to the community part. Sometimes that appeals to me, when I just want to play and not have to turn on my mic and talk to people. I do appreciate having that option. But it also feels quite hard to do the other side of things and have a conversation with someone you just met in a dungeon or something. Its something you absolutely can still do, but the culture is completely different because its not needed so a lot of people you meet don't want to talk at all and just rush through the dungeon.
I did that some times in vanilla, just didn't log on to ventrilo or teamspeak, or whatever we were using at the time, and solo queued for bgs.
Was farming AB rep for some shoulders and.... i think it was a caster dagger(?) on my mage.

Oldyella

Very true about the community. Hopefully they can get that back. Looking forward to that and talent trees! Levelling up actually meaning something again.

Simbo

Thought I'd try out a private server to get over some of the hype for Classic. What a mistake that was, lost my entire weekend to it.

There's a server called retro-wow which gives you instant lvl 60 + your choice of starter gear. Every raid instance is 5-man and tune for it, so Molten Core, AQ40, Naxx, etc all done in an 5man party so its easy to find grps once you get going and progress. Its good fun.

Ekeke

Thought I'd try out a private server to get over some of the hype for Classic. What a mistake that was, lost my entire weekend to it.

There's a server called retro-wow which gives you instant lvl 60 + your choice of starter gear. Every raid instance is 5-man and tune for it, so Molten Core, AQ40, Naxx, etc all done in an 5man party so its easy to find grps once you get going and progress. Its good fun.
Yup, just remember it's all tuned differently to classic and wont be exactly the same. It was done with guesswork based on old videos. And people who played on private servers for years are claiming theres bugs and incorrect things going on in the Classic Beta, and Blizzard are telling them they're wrong because they went back and tested it on the old client.

Hammerfell

I've been watching a bunch of streamers do an Amish challenge with the beta. It's a permadeath challenge, you can only craft your guilds gear (except dungeon weapons/jewelry) and your character can't be self sufficient.

Anyway, perhaps one of the best moments so far is this:

https://clips.twitch.tv/OddEagerAxeWow

He's watching a clip of one of his guild mates being killed, except the problem is that he's being attacked himself (top left). That's like 24 hours of leveling gone. :lol:
I've been watching the same! Highlight being Crendor/Spy dying because he forgot he was Alliance and clicked on the Horde flightmaster in Booty Bay. :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don’t think this will be a success long term as I think people will lose interest fairly quickly. I do however hope it highlights some of the mechanics which they have moved away from and shouldn’t have and leads to better decisions for the next XPs.

Grylte

I don’t think this will be a success long term as I think people will lose interest fairly quickly. I do however hope it highlights some of the mechanics which they have moved away from and shouldn’t have and leads to better decisions for the next XPs.
Many will lose interest, but i'm sure there'll be enough people who wants to play for a long time, to keep a couple servers going.

I don't think the ones who are negative to classic understand why we want to play it. We want to play with a community, we want to finish what we couldn't finish back in the days, and when that's done, we make and alt and do it again.
Atleast that's my thinking. I want to try to clear the content and do a lot of pvp, make rivalries between the factions on the battlegrounds or in wpvp.

I was fury warrior last time, now i want a mage, then i want to be a healer, and then i want to... no, i don't want to tank, feck off, then maybe melee dps, actually, i might try all classes :lol:
As long as the community is good, i'm going to have fun, and i know many big Noggie guilds already plan to play on the same server, should make the Noggie classic discord great fun :D

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
It seems weird to me that people are getting super hyped for an almost unplayable version of the current iteration, that takes months to level, full of bugs and missing any decent quality of life changes that make the game feel actually playable. I think it'll get a burst of population at the start and then it'll dwindle fast when people realise 'oh yeah these things were actually super annoying and shitty to deal with and it was patched ages ago in the retail version and I'm used to them now.'

R'hllor

Hype is a bit mental atm, it will die down. Everybody will try it and plenty will quit it after some period, things will level up and classic will run on stable number of players and thats ok. Even if i was one of those who talk shit nonsense about classic, i would be glad for those who fought for it.

Overall, think vanilla is better game than current (some prev exp included) ffa anti social single player piece of shit called BFA (retail in essence). Ever since ending part of wotlk, Blizz made a decision to cater to certain type of players and here we are today, wf, tf, enforced pl, cgk, playing a patch and the not game etc.

The only folks i feel sorry for in retail dev. team are the art guys, must be really shitty feeling trying to produce some of best looking raids when you already know that when next patch comes, that place will be outdated and forgotten by design.

Simbo

It seems weird to me that people are getting super hyped for an almost unplayable version of the current iteration, that takes months to level, full of bugs and missing any decent quality of life changes that make the game feel actually playable. I think it'll get a burst of population at the start and then it'll dwindle fast when people realise 'oh yeah these things were actually super annoying and shitty to deal with and it was patched ages ago in the retail version and I'm used to them now.'
I've a sneaky feeling it might actually do pretty well.

Its not going to be an unplayable version. They are releasing the most complete polished version of vanilla, with a few improvements. You've gotta remember this was one of the most successful online games of all time, a game no longer playable except private servers, and they are poor copies. It is worlds apart from current retail WoW, its basically the release of a new game, tried and tested, with more content in it than any other new release since... ever? i dunno. People literally died playing this thing cos they couldn't pull themselves away from their pc's.

The assumption that the hype is just about nostalgia seems to have been completely quashed by anybody playing the beta. They are realising what actually makes a game good - Those shitty annoying things and the constant struggle to get anything done. As long as the potential rewards are there to make it all worth it players forget the struggles and just enjoy the highs when they they level up, get a good piece of gear, or start dominating in pvp, etc.

Still, It'll be a shock to players just how long everything takes, its miles away from what gamers are used to nowadays. Will be interesting to see how many stick with it.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.

Its not going to be an unplayable version. They are releasing the most complete polished version of vanilla, with a few improvements. You've gotta remember this was one of the most successful online games of all time, a game no longer playable except private servers, and they are poor copies. It is worlds apart from current retail WoW, its basically the release of a new game, tried and tested, with more content in it than any other new release since... ever? i dunno. People literally died playing this thing cos they couldn't pull themselves away from their pc's.

The assumption that the hype is just about nostalgia seems to have been completely quashed by anybody playing the beta. They are realising what actually makes a game good - Those shitty annoying things and the constant struggle to get anything done. As long as the potential rewards are there to make it all worth it players forget the struggles and just enjoy the highs when they they level up, get a good piece of gear, or start dominating in pvp, etc.

Still, It'll be a shock to players just how long everything takes, its miles away from what gamers are used to nowadays. Will be interesting to see how many stick with it.
It is nostalgia, everything you've said is true of other MMO's that have long since died but they wouldn't thrive if brought back. It wasn't that shitty annoying things made a game good, that's an absurd statement to read out loud it was just that we thought it was good at the time because that was the state of games back then in multiple MMOs so it was normal to us. It was a different time, and games have come a long way since then and giving up quality of life changes that make total sense is gonna feel awful. People are already reporting a shit load of bugs that were actually just features at the time. It was objectively a worse game than it is now. It's literally a massive regression of the current game only with a 60 level cap that takes months to hit, less to do at end game, no flying, only 2 continents, entire classes that are unplayable with the balancing, down to super annoying things like no mage tables, rogue combo points not transferring to other targets etc and having to spend hours grinding mobs that have a much lower respawn rate than the current game just to get your weapon skill up so that your attacks didn't miss.

WoW died when they introduced cross sharding and took the community feel out of it and classic will bring that back for people but then the population will die off when there's literally nothing to do at the end of 2 continents.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Many will lose interest, but i'm sure there'll be enough people who wants to play for a long time, to keep a couple servers going.

I don't think the ones who are negative to classic understand why we want to play it. We want to play with a community, we want to finish what we couldn't finish back in the days, and when that's done, we make and alt and do it again.
Atleast that's my thinking. I want to try to clear the content and do a lot of pvp, make rivalries between the factions on the battlegrounds or in wpvp.

I was fury warrior last time, now i want a mage, then i want to be a healer, and then i want to... no, i don't want to tank, feck off, then maybe melee dps, actually, i might try all classes :lol:
As long as the community is good, i'm going to have fun, and i know many big Noggie guilds already plan to play on the same server, should make the Noggie classic discord great fun :D
The community is there because we're forced to. There's no lfr lfg nothing in vanilla, you really have to spam in capitals to create group. It's like saying smartphones destroy communities and let's go back to the time before that.

There's nothing to stop having a community in retail. People just arent into community by nature.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

If the same people that plays retail tries vanilla they wont be there for long.

Imagine never killing anything because you cant fill the raid. Custom lfg for world boss while ruining the fun in retail and seems instantaneous gratification is still better than not actually having enough people to kill something.

There's a good reason majority of fhe vanilla players never get to see raids.

Retails mythic runs are already breaking apart due to guilds cant fill 20 men rooster, let alone 40 needed for vanilla. 40 people raid with 4 loots. I dont think thencurrent players mentality can tolerate that

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It is nostalgia, everything you've said is true of other MMO's that have long since died but they wouldn't thrive if brought back. It wasn't that shitty annoying things made a game good, that's an absurd statement to read out loud it was just that we thought it was good at the time because that was the state of games back then in multiple MMOs so it was normal to us. It was a different time, and games have come a long way since then and giving up quality of life changes that make total sense is gonna feel awful. People are already reporting a shit load of bugs that were actually just features at the time. It was objectively a worse game than it is now. It's literally a massive regression of the current game only with a 60 level cap that takes months to hit, less to do at end game, no flying, only 2 continents, entire classes that are unplayable with the balancing, down to super annoying things like no mage tables, rogue combo points not transferring to other targets etc and having to spend hours grinding mobs that have a much lower respawn rate than the current game just to get your weapon skill up so that your attacks didn't miss.

WoW died when they introduced cross sharding and took the community feel out of it and classic will bring that back for people but then the population will die off when there's literally nothing to do at the end of 2 continents.
2 minute buff. Try raiding as the only paladin in a 40 men raid. You're literally a buffbott

Lastwolf

It'll be fine, there are private servers live right now with thousands of players and very active communities and half of that is pure guess work.

Every QoL change, steals something from the game, Dungeon and raid finder, made it objectively easier to do that content but robbed you of community and difficulty. Because its easy to re-queue people just quit groups because feck it, you'll never see those people again.

Why people like Classic is that it allowed you to fail, things are difficult so when you overcome them they feel more rewarding. It forces you to communicate.

I leveled in from 1 to max post cataclysm and I didn't talk to one person over the course of that 4-5 game days.

I leveled very recently from 1-60, I talked to somebody random everyday just cause you had to as there are objective you can't do on your own. We had two groups helping each other clear out a cave that felt like an instance in Stonetalon, that just doesn't happen now.

Sure the gfx aren't as good, the rotations are simple and the some of the boss mechanics are pure shit (we killed Shazzarah, on average, in 22 seconds), but there is more of a communal game going on than current live has, even with all it's bells and whistles.

Emergent gameplay can't manifest if there is no room to do so.

---
Problem: Travel time is annoying.

Solution: Make portals or self flight at max level.

Cost: World is smaller, anything that isn't instant teleportation feels like chore and you rarely see or interact with other players while travelling.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Got a free bit of time from my mate. Deleted all my characters (haven't properly played in around 2 years) and started a new Horde char on a fresh server. It's changed so much, it's bloody weird. I remember when i first started I randomly met a bloke in Stranglethorn and we started chatting and it turned out he was playing WoW because he had his eye removed as he got bottled on a night out and had nothing to do during his recovery but quickly we became good mates and quested through the game together. Currently i'm only getting chat out of guild members but it feels forced and seems like nobody has patience to make mates anymore, it's just a "help me with this group quest and if you die you're shit and i'll tell you that you're shit". I'm having an okay time by myself but I know that I won't have any fun with other players anymore until end game.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
So anyone planning to do some levelling on EU realms in the first week? I hear we're being asked in advance of the classic release what realm you would like to be on to stagger the first couple of weeks to make sure the realms arent over or undercrowded. Thinking of making a caf guild on a chosen realm and getting a ventrilo up and running if there are a few of us.

Grylte

So anyone planning to do some levelling on EU realms in the first week? I hear we're being asked in advance of the classic release what realm you would like to be on to stagger the first couple of weeks to make sure the realms arent over or undercrowded. Thinking of making a caf guild on a chosen realm and getting a ventrilo up and running if there are a few of us.
Would need quite a few people if you want to raid.
The Caf already have a discord, i'm sure it could be used instead of Ventrilo ;)

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Would need quite a few people if you want to raid.
The Caf already have a discord, i'm sure it could be used instead of Ventrilo ;)
Yeah that's why I said leveling. Doesn't have to be in the same realm or even faction tbh. Just some conversation and banter to pass the time when grinding. Questing alone won't get you levelled so inevitably there will be a fair bit of grinding to do.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Potential guild names.
<Redcafe>
<Generals>
<Listen cockface..>

Oldyella

Still not sure whether to pick it back up or not. I enjoyed classic and loved tbc, wotlk but have been less and less invested since. Bfa I only played a month or so past launch.

I don't know if that's me changing, having less time to commit to the game, less friends playing and if coming back for classic would be exactly the same after the initial wave of nostalgia.

And the big decision, dwarf paladin or undead priest!