Gaming World of Warcraft (PC, Mac)

sebsheep

I've played this on and off for around 12 years now (Since BC). I played it relentlessly from BC to Cata and then lost interest around Pandaland. Since then I've dipped in and out but now I've decided I want to enjoy Shadowlands. Well, what the heck is going on here then? :wenger: I did the normal route as a Human through Elwynn to Duskwood and then when i hit level 30 decided to try some of the new content I missed. Headed to Tiragarde Sound in Kul Tiras and did a bunch of quests there getting to level 40 and then they dried up although I'd only completed 2 story chapters. Tried googling what I have missed and apparently I needed to speak to someone in Boralus first, but when i go there (The Harbormasters Office) nobody is there and I can't click the scouting map. I've tried googling why and I can't find a definitive answer. Some people reckon it's because i'm classed as a 'newcomer' so need to get 30 hours on this character before it will unlock certain things which seems daft and a bit unfair considering I've just paid £40 (amongst the countless sub fees I've been paying over the years) to play.
Your first mistake is making an alliance character!
Other than that you may have missed one of the starter quests to unlock the area properly. Have a look in your quest log for any quests that might relate to it. Other than that you might have to make an in game ticket to see if they know what's wrong.
Never heard of that 30 hours thing but I've had my account since cata.

sebsheep

Retail sucks. It's DMF week on classic so loads of griefing and world pvp opportunities.
Why do that when you can spend over an hour in torghast only to realise you've done 18 floors on level 1 of 8? :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Your first mistake is making an alliance character!
Other than that you may have missed one of the starter quests to unlock the area properly. Have a look in your quest log for any quests that might relate to it. Other than that you might have to make an in game ticket to see if they know what's wrong.
Never heard of that 30 hours thing but I've had my account since cata.
:lol: I have both, on diff realms with different friends. I did think that but i tried to look for that and didn't work, I might create a ticket and see what's what. Cheers.

Castia

Played since vanilla, this game was my life for about 4 years between TBC and Wrath of the Lich King and I’ll always go back to it but I just cba with Shadowlands.

I booked a few days off work, reached level 60 within hours of launch night and hit it pretty hard for a week but I just hit a brick wall in terms of doing boring tasks (tower) for meaningless currencies and started wondering whats the point.

Real shame, I like the new zones and my class (windwalker monk!) is finally doing really well, I got my first legendary, ran all mythic dungeons and that’s me done for now. My guild is dead as well, I presumed everyone would be back for the expansion but most people haven’t bothered.

P-Ro

made his 2000th post in the 2019 caf awards thread
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I have completely no lifed classic wow in this pandemic. I have over 90 days /played since hitting 60 in February. Game is slowly dying as more people quit after having Naxx on farm for a few weeks. I'm now playing on a TBC private server called Smolderforge where you get instant 70 and access to the s3 arena gear and practicing in anticipation for classic TBC which is rumoured to be coming out in early May. I love playing the paladin so I'm trying out a few 2s arena combo's like resto shaman + ret pally. Unfortunately paladins are considered one of the worst pvp classes in arena so the options available to me are much more limited than I thought they would be.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I've played this on and off for around 12 years now (Since BC). I played it relentlessly from BC to Cata and then lost interest around Pandaland. Since then I've dipped in and out but now I've decided I want to enjoy Shadowlands. Well, what the heck is going on here then? :wenger: I did the normal route as a Human through Elwynn to Duskwood and then when i hit level 30 decided to try some of the new content I missed. Headed to Tiragarde Sound in Kul Tiras and did a bunch of quests there getting to level 40 and then they dried up although I'd only completed 2 story chapters. Tried googling what I have missed and apparently I needed to speak to someone in Boralus first, but when i go there (The Harbormasters Office) nobody is there and I can't click the scouting map. I've tried googling why and I can't find a definitive answer. Some people reckon it's because i'm classed as a 'newcomer' so need to get 30 hours on this character before it will unlock certain things which seems daft and a bit unfair considering I've just paid £40 (amongst the countless sub fees I've been paying over the years) to play.
Did you pick a timeline?
You can change timeline up to lvl 50 whenever you want.

I'm currently lvling my 3rd char, and i picked Cata, since i never played it, took med little under 4 zones to hit lvl 50.

It's much easier if you read what they tell you on your way ;)

Grylte

I booked a few days off work, reached level 60 within hours of launch night and hit it pretty hard for a week but I just hit a brick wall in terms of doing boring tasks (tower) for meaningless currencies and started wondering whats the point.
The meaningless currency that you craft legendaries with? :lol:

I have always been loud about how stupid retail is, and that classic is much better, but i'm really enjoying Shadowlands, to my surprise... i just wanted to try to lvl to 50 cause i got tired of Classic.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Did you pick a timeline?
You can change timeline up to lvl 50 whenever you want.

I'm currently lvling my 3rd char, and i picked Cata, since i never played it, took med little under 4 zones to hit lvl 50.

It's much easier if you read what they tell you on your way ;)
I did read, it just doesn’t come up for me. It’s also a messy way of doing everything by making it so you can just quest wherever you like.

Castia

The meaningless currency that you craft legendaries with? :lol:

I have always been loud about how stupid retail is, and that classic is much better, but i'm really enjoying Shadowlands, to my surprise... i just wanted to try to lvl to 50 cause i got tired of Classic.
It feels like there’s a currency or grind to everything....Torghast and ash for legendaries
Mana crystals (or whatever they’re called) for the covenant currency
Renown levels for covenant’s
The grind in the Maw
Daily callings....

It’s just all pointless nonsense imo. Maybe I’m just burned out and need a break but the game feels like it’s bloated with systems that just aren’t that interesting.

Grylte

It feels like there’s a currency or grind to everything....Torghast and ash for legendaries
The grind in the Maw
Daily callings....

It’s just all pointless nonsense imo. Maybe I’m just burned out and need a break but the game feels like it’s bloated with systems that just aren’t that interesting.
I know what you mean, levling a healer and caster now, to cover all types, but not looking forward to doing Torghast 4 times every week :lol:
Guess i'll just prioritize my main.

Doing dailies and m+, plus 2 days of raid isn't too much, except for altoholics like me.

Grylte

I did read, it just doesn’t come up for me. It’s also a messy way of doing everything by making it so you can just quest wherever you like.
I guess it's aimed at those who have played forever and have levelled 600 chars by now :P
Maybe they should make an alternative for returning players.

The Cat

Doesn't know his own mobile number
This time around I feel quite comfortable just dipping in and out which is what I want these days.

You can only equip 1 legendary at a time I think? And I nearly only ever play healer so I'm quite happy just playing LFR and world bosses right now.

Toad

I don’t think WoW has really been that great since Lich King. What happened to good old gearing up through dungeons and raids and not much else. I still play quite regularly but just hate the beginning of new expansions because everyone is so sweaty and im there focusing on dailies and everyone else is already 30 ilvl above me.

Toad

The grind in the Maw
Daily callings....

I know how you feel. I used to play it every day. Now sometimes I can’t bring myself to play it. I took a few years out between cataclysm and BoA then enjoyed BoA but just feel there’s too much to do at the moment. Dailies and weeklies take up a huge amount of time as it is without even starting on mythics to gear up further.

sebsheep

The grind in the Maw
Daily callings....

A few of the things you don't need to do as the stuff you spend your anima on is cosmetic or upgrading your covenant armor, which is lower than the gear you get from other sources anyway.

Getting your renown up is easy, 2 quests a week and a bit of storyline. The only thing that I don't like so much about it is sone of the stuff they have gated (honor pvp gear can't be upgraded past 184ilvl until next week when you have lots of people who pve in over 200ilvl stuff). Torghast is a bit meh, don't like grinds like that. It's also not that fast when you play solo with a waddling ret paladin. :lol:
They did at least limit the amount you can do in the maw each day, I'm not a fan of walking around it either way so I haven't bothered even if I probably should.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'm really enjoying this new expansion. Lockdown had kinda led me back into this.

My guild is super casual though so only starting HC Nathria tonight and I already nearly outgear it.

Kaos

Tempting to jump back in. I levelled my Priest to lvl 60 in classic last year, but then quit again after I started doing the whole second job thing with raid nights. I'm currently playing SWTOR casually (they've added a crap load of content tbh), but tempted to try Shadowlands with a new character, likely a Rogue.

hellhunter

Supports
Karlsruher SC
Tempting to jump back in. I levelled my Priest to lvl 60 in classic last year, but then quit again after I started doing the whole second job thing with raid nights. I'm currently playing SWTOR casually (they've added a crap load of content tbh), but tempted to try Shadowlands with a new character, likely a Rogue.
I absolutely loved the idea and setting of that game. Is it still being played?

Kaos

I absolutely loved the idea and setting of that game. Is it still being played?
Yep! Though everything is crazy dumbed down and easy now. It's pretty much only good for the extra story content they've added (lots of it since launch btw). Just don't expect an active raiding/gearing scene, it's all secondary to the social/story side of things.

P-Ro

Supports
Anyone else going to be watching the TBC Classic announcement at Blizzcon online tonight?

sebsheep

Anyone else going to be watching the TBC Classic announcement at Blizzcon online tonight?
Might have a peek, late TBC was when I actually started playing wow. First max level was a shaman I did as deep resto, took me ages. :lol:

P-Ro

Supports
Might have a peek, late TBC was when I actually started playing wow. First max level was a shaman I did as deep resto, took me ages. :lol:
That was when I quit for the first time. I then came back for Cataclysm. One of the big questions to be answered today will be if they're going to allow you to level alliance shamans and BE paladins to 60 before the release of TBC in May.

sebsheep

That was when I quit for the first time. I then came back for Cataclysm. One of the big questions to be answered today will be if they're going to allow you to level alliance shamans and BE paladins to 60 before the release of TBC in May.
You missed Wrath? Was one of my favourite expansions.
Haven't really kept up with the news on TBC, are they making stand alone servers or advancing things from classic?

duffer

Scout
They are. Although it's not coming out in may (no date set but zero chance it's as soon as may). Most of the community are predicting end of summer.

Last edited:

duffer

Scout
You missed Wrath? Was one of my favourite expansions.
Haven't really kept up with the news on TBC, are they making stand alone servers or advancing things from classic?
The current classic servers will automatically move on to TBC. If you want to also copy a character to a "classic era" server, you can. You'd have two versions of the same character on different servers, one in TBC on whatever server you're on now and another, stuck forever in the current classic patch.

sebsheep

The current classic servers will automatically move on to TBC. If you want to also copy a character to a "classic era" server, you can. You'd have two versions of the same character on different servers, one in TBC on whatever server you're on now and another, stuck forever in the current classic patch.
I'll have to decide what I want to play in TBC soon I think. Want to get myself onto a normal server and my main characters were on pvp initially. Kinda ended up way behind and got ganked out of existence before the introduction of bgs.

Ralaks

I'll have to decide what I want to play in TBC soon I think. Want to get myself onto a normal server and my main characters were on pvp initially. Kinda ended up way behind and got ganked out of existence before the introduction of bgs.
Heh, we're (my friends and I) are going to do the same. We've been playing PvP realm the whole of classic being the less played faction. The amount of griefing and pathetic behavior has made us want to change, it's just not worth it to stay anymore. Negatives far, far outweigh the pros (as if there was any for me). Only shame is we've been in a very nice guild, and it does not seem like all want to go PvE..

In general I am very excited for the changes coming in TBC, shows they want to change the game for the better to remove some of the shit mechanics like leatherworking drums, etc.

Anyone recommend any of the 3 PvE realms?