Gaming World of Warcraft (PC, Mac)

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I on purposely leveled slowly. I wanted to quest in every area to get the full classic experience and do every dungeon as a healer. I initially did 13 ret to get SoC and +8% running speed and then invested my points in holy until I got holy shock. Consequently my solo questing took twice as long but I didn't mind. I even bothered to read most of the quests fully this time over.
I played prot till lvl 30, planned to tank my way up in instances, since i already quested with 2 characters to 60.
Takes longer to get group as tank than i expected, so respecced to ret the other day. Will quest and heal instances instead.

Grylte

A girl in my guild, who i never met before, came to visit me yesterday, she's staying till sunday ;)
And people say you need to go out to meet girls.. :lol::angel:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
A girl in my guild, who i never met before, came to visit me yesterday, she's staying till sunday ;)
And people say you need to go out to meet girls.. :lol::angel:
I met my first girlfriend on world of Warcraft. 8 years we ended up together. The cheating bitch.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I met my first girlfriend on world of Warcraft. 8 years we ended up together. The cheating bitch.
Out of interest how did she cheat at World of Warcraft?

Castia

Well, driving to Cambridge to feck one of the hunters in our guild seemed to do the trick....
You wasn’t on the Zenedar server was you? Sounds like something that happened in my old guild.

Ekeke

Been playing on Zenedar since vanilla myself, still there now!

Servers pretty dead these days.
Yeah I had to server transfer my main a while ago.

In Vanilla I was in an Alliance raiding guild on Zenedar called Exiles of Fate, also Silvermoon before that. I remember zenedar had zenedar.com, a community forum before Bliz made its forum for each server

Castia

The WoW: Shadowlands alpha is live so loads of new information available.

The game looks amazing and is getting universal praise from streamers and alpha testers, it looks like Blizzard are getting WoW back on track after the disaster of BfA.

On live there’s currently a double xp bonus, I’ve levelled 2 characters to 120 then logged out because the end game is shite.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I wonder if the success of Classic has influenced their direction with live.

Ekeke

Raiding is still good fun in wow with a guild. Other than that...

Shadowlands is not going in a direction that fixes the vast majority of issues I would say the game has, as someone who still plays it. In fact the covenant system is likely to be the next can of worms that Blizzard take ages and several iterations to find some kind of balance just like corruption and azerite did before it in BFA.

Shadowlands thus far gives - A couple of new abilities to each class that you will pick based on covenant, faster more simple and immersive levelling of new characters, a new thing or two to pick with character cosmetics ie. tattoos, human race, etc but still far behind the kind of options you'd have in a modern mmo. Obviously New story which will be a bit different based on which covenant you pick. And thats about it...

To me these are minimal additions that could make the current game a bit better but arent much of a change of direction away from problems in BFA

tenpoless

I don't like how players' character is now the main hero of the story.
We literally blew up Nzoth with Kamehameha and I can see similar thing being repeated with Shadowlands' end boss.
That's the main complain really as I'm shite at the game and don't mind abilities pruning. Less buttons to press = better as long as it's not only 3 buttons.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I don't like how players' character is now the main hero of the story.
We literally blew up Nzoth with Kamehameha and I can see similar thing being repeated with Shadowlands' end boss.
That's the main complain really as I'm shite at the game and don't mind abilities pruning. Less buttons to press = better as long as it's not only 3 buttons.
Its always been one of the sticking points of an MMO - how to make the player character into a hero, whilst still maintaining some sort of feasible storyline. WoW has tried a few tricks over the years, but recently seems to have just thought "feck it, lets make the player characters into all powerul demigodlike beings". Power in itself is OK - its when you are handing out supposedly "unique" artifact weapons like Ashbringer, and then you see half the server wielding the same weapon. Or when your character is the main general/commander.... but so is everyone else.

Its a difficult one to get around, but I wish they werent quite so liberal with handing out unique titles/equipment/whatever to every character on the server simultaneously.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Its always been one of the sticking points of an MMO - how to make the player character into a hero, whilst still maintaining some sort of feasible storyline. WoW has tried a few tricks over the years, but recently seems to have just thought "feck it, lets make the player characters into all powerul demigodlike beings". Power in itself is OK - its when you are handing out supposedly "unique" artifact weapons like Ashbringer, and then you see half the server wielding the same weapon. Or when your character is the main general/commander.... but so is everyone else.

Its a difficult one to get around, but I wish they werent quite so liberal with handing out unique titles/equipment/whatever to every character on the server simultaneously.
Haven't played WoW in literally ages but I'm mostly of the vanilla days and an endgame MT for eventually a T3 guild doing Onyxia clears just to have something to do and taking randos through T1 and T2 for fun for reference.

At least back then it seemed like you could still have a lot of rarity in items. I. E. I tanked with Quel Serrar 95% of the time and even though there were a handful others around who had one - I would literally have people gawking and wanting me to stand still to take screenies with me etc.

Sounds like what you're describing the way it is now is more or less what killed Star Wars Galaxies very quickly - once everyone had maxed out Bounty Hunters and lightsabers.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

sebsheep

I have no lifed classic a bit. Next week I will be getting my rank 11 black war tiger mount and because I got lucky in MC tonight I'll have a legendary mace to boot :)

Nice, now you'll be able to put out some mid-tier dps!

Been playing a bit of retail with the missus recently so I've just had the classic advert for the gate contributions starting up.

Dion

Downed M N'Zoth last night after 275 pulls... progress was a bit rough and involved a server/faction change but we did pretty well all told.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
People play this for lore?

I play for the do this to get that loot x100

The could do better with addressing us as champion because they cant input our name. At least make it vary according to our class. Or some random algorithm where bran called you cnut if you say killed x number of critters.

That'll be fun

Or townfolks starts saying get a bath champion if your logged in hours reach certain points.

My greatest fun is amassing 5m gold in 1 month to buy that badass longboi AH mount. Worth every goddamn copper

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I've played this on and off for around 12 years now (Since BC). I played it relentlessly from BC to Cata and then lost interest around Pandaland. Since then I've dipped in and out but now I've decided I want to enjoy Shadowlands. Well, what the heck is going on here then? :wenger: I did the normal route as a Human through Elwynn to Duskwood and then when i hit level 30 decided to try some of the new content I missed. Headed to Tiragarde Sound in Kul Tiras and did a bunch of quests there getting to level 40 and then they dried up although I'd only completed 2 story chapters. Tried googling what I have missed and apparently I needed to speak to someone in Boralus first, but when i go there (The Harbormasters Office) nobody is there and I can't click the scouting map. I've tried googling why and I can't find a definitive answer. Some people reckon it's because i'm classed as a 'newcomer' so need to get 30 hours on this character before it will unlock certain things which seems daft and a bit unfair considering I've just paid £40 (amongst the countless sub fees I've been paying over the years) to play.

sebsheep

I've played this on and off for around 12 years now (Since BC). I played it relentlessly from BC to Cata and then lost interest around Pandaland. Since then I've dipped in and out but now I've decided I want to enjoy Shadowlands. Well, what the heck is going on here then? :wenger: I did the normal route as a Human through Elwynn to Duskwood and then when i hit level 30 decided to try some of the new content I missed. Headed to Tiragarde Sound in Kul Tiras and did a bunch of quests there getting to level 40 and then they dried up although I'd only completed 2 story chapters. Tried googling what I have missed and apparently I needed to speak to someone in Boralus first, but when i go there (The Harbormasters Office) nobody is there and I can't click the scouting map. I've tried googling why and I can't find a definitive answer. Some people reckon it's because i'm classed as a 'newcomer' so need to get 30 hours on this character before it will unlock certain things which seems daft and a bit unfair considering I've just paid £40 (amongst the countless sub fees I've been paying over the years) to play.
Your first mistake is making an alliance character!
Other than that you may have missed one of the starter quests to unlock the area properly. Have a look in your quest log for any quests that might relate to it. Other than that you might have to make an in game ticket to see if they know what's wrong.
Never heard of that 30 hours thing but I've had my account since cata.

sebsheep

Retail sucks. It's DMF week on classic so loads of griefing and world pvp opportunities.
Why do that when you can spend over an hour in torghast only to realise you've done 18 floors on level 1 of 8? :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Your first mistake is making an alliance character!
Other than that you may have missed one of the starter quests to unlock the area properly. Have a look in your quest log for any quests that might relate to it. Other than that you might have to make an in game ticket to see if they know what's wrong.
Never heard of that 30 hours thing but I've had my account since cata.
:lol: I have both, on diff realms with different friends. I did think that but i tried to look for that and didn't work, I might create a ticket and see what's what. Cheers.

Castia

Played since vanilla, this game was my life for about 4 years between TBC and Wrath of the Lich King and I’ll always go back to it but I just cba with Shadowlands.

I booked a few days off work, reached level 60 within hours of launch night and hit it pretty hard for a week but I just hit a brick wall in terms of doing boring tasks (tower) for meaningless currencies and started wondering whats the point.

Real shame, I like the new zones and my class (windwalker monk!) is finally doing really well, I got my first legendary, ran all mythic dungeons and that’s me done for now. My guild is dead as well, I presumed everyone would be back for the expansion but most people haven’t bothered.

Grylte

Did you pick a timeline?
You can change timeline up to lvl 50 whenever you want.

I'm currently lvling my 3rd char, and i picked Cata, since i never played it, took med little under 4 zones to hit lvl 50.

It's much easier if you read what they tell you on your way ;)

Grylte

I booked a few days off work, reached level 60 within hours of launch night and hit it pretty hard for a week but I just hit a brick wall in terms of doing boring tasks (tower) for meaningless currencies and started wondering whats the point.
The meaningless currency that you craft legendaries with? :lol:

I have always been loud about how stupid retail is, and that classic is much better, but i'm really enjoying Shadowlands, to my surprise... i just wanted to try to lvl to 50 cause i got tired of Classic.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Did you pick a timeline?
You can change timeline up to lvl 50 whenever you want.

I'm currently lvling my 3rd char, and i picked Cata, since i never played it, took med little under 4 zones to hit lvl 50.

It's much easier if you read what they tell you on your way ;)
I did read, it just doesn’t come up for me. It’s also a messy way of doing everything by making it so you can just quest wherever you like.

Castia

The meaningless currency that you craft legendaries with? :lol:

I have always been loud about how stupid retail is, and that classic is much better, but i'm really enjoying Shadowlands, to my surprise... i just wanted to try to lvl to 50 cause i got tired of Classic.
It feels like there’s a currency or grind to everything....Torghast and ash for legendaries
Mana crystals (or whatever they’re called) for the covenant currency
Renown levels for covenant’s
The grind in the Maw
Daily callings....

It’s just all pointless nonsense imo. Maybe I’m just burned out and need a break but the game feels like it’s bloated with systems that just aren’t that interesting.

Grylte

It feels like there’s a currency or grind to everything....Torghast and ash for legendaries
Mana crystals (or whatever they’re called) for the covenant currency
Renown levels for covenant’s
The grind in the Maw
Daily callings....

It’s just all pointless nonsense imo. Maybe I’m just burned out and need a break but the game feels like it’s bloated with systems that just aren’t that interesting.
I know what you mean, levling a healer and caster now, to cover all types, but not looking forward to doing Torghast 4 times every week :lol:
Guess i'll just prioritize my main.

Doing dailies and m+, plus 2 days of raid isn't too much, except for altoholics like me.

Grylte

I did read, it just doesn’t come up for me. It’s also a messy way of doing everything by making it so you can just quest wherever you like.
I guess it's aimed at those who have played forever and have levelled 600 chars by now :P
Maybe they should make an alternative for returning players.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
This time around I feel quite comfortable just dipping in and out which is what I want these days.

You can only equip 1 legendary at a time I think? And I nearly only ever play healer so I'm quite happy just playing LFR and world bosses right now.

Toad

I don’t think WoW has really been that great since Lich King. What happened to good old gearing up through dungeons and raids and not much else. I still play quite regularly but just hate the beginning of new expansions because everyone is so sweaty and im there focusing on dailies and everyone else is already 30 ilvl above me.