World rapid and blitz

NM

Rapid: Carlsen

Blitz: Carlsen / Hikaru

Who I want: Nihal Sarin

SinNombre

Nihal, or one of the other young guns, finishing top-3 would be very cool indeed.

I am curious to see how Fabi does in rapid, he has put in a lot of work since his WC tiebreak loss.

NM

Nihal, or one of the other young guns, finishing top-3 would be very cool indeed.

I am curious to see how Fabi does in rapid, he has put in a lot of work since his WC tiebreak loss.
Nihal has no shot in rapid. Blitz he might get a top 10.

SinNombre

Nihal has no shot in rapid. Blitz he might get a top 10.
Nihal finished T8 (11th on tiebreaks) at blitz as a 14-year old, not finishing in the top 10 would be a bad result for him if his recent form at the SCC in blitz is any indication.

Agree that he is worse at rapid and someone like Arjun or Nodirbek might be a better shout there. Biggest issue with Nihal is he takes draws in strange positions (where you would expect someone of his potential to press for a win), including just now against Fedoseev.

Obviously, not including Alireza in all of this when talking about the next gen.

NM

Nihal finished T8 (11th on tiebreaks) at blitz as a 14-year old, not finishing in the top 10 would be a bad result for him if his recent form at the SCC in blitz is any indication.

Agree that he is worse at rapid and someone like Arjun or Nodirbek might be a better shout there. Biggest issue with Nihal is he takes draws in strange positions (where you would expect someone of his potential to press for a win), including just now against Fedoseev.

Obviously, not including Alireza in all of this when talking about the next gen.
Yeah agree on Nihal drawing some weird positions. I think he still needs to mature though. Arjun hasn't had a good start either I think.

NM

Yeah agree on Nihal drawing some weird positions. I think he still needs to mature though. Arjun hasn't had a good start either I think.
Scratch that. He's board 8

SinNombre

Nodirbek leading after Round 10 after beating Magnus in an endgame :lol:

2899 TPR so far !!

Abraxas

Great to see one of the vaunted next generation do so well. Also pleased Nepo fought back with an impressive tournament. Not really surprising as he's a beast in all formats, especially when he can play quickly.

Also thought v.Foreest had a notably good tournament considering the pairings he got.

NM

@SinNombre called it!

Now I hope Sarin does well in blitz. Gukesh did amazing in the rapid too!