Worst debuts?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Which players have had the worst debuts?

Didn't Evra have a pretty lousy debut against City?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Evra was subbed at halftime on his debut. That's pretty bad. Taibi was awful, too. Vidic wasn't much better if I remember correctly.

Siorac

Massimo Taibi
Evra was subbed at halftime on his debut. That's pretty bad. Taibi was awful, too. Vidic wasn't much better if I remember correctly.
Taibi was awful overall but he was awarded Man of the Match on his debut despite an early mistake.

Everyone seems to remember the Le Tissier goal but that wasn't his debut: his first appearance was at Anfield, in the game where Jamie Carragher seemed determined to score as many own goals as we need to win.

GlasgowCeltic

Woodgate's will never be topped.

Recovered pretty well from it though if I remember right, an excellent defender.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Which players have had the worst debuts?

Didn't Evra have a pretty lousy debut against City?
Patrice Evra said:
You might remember that I made my debut away to Manchester City. Big derby. The game kicked off at 12.45 pm, which was unusual for me as a Frenchman. I’m not big on traditional breakfasts, so I didn’t know what to eat to get ready. I went for pasta and beans. I got sick. I was vomiting. I went to my room wondering what to do.

Should I tell Ferguson that I can’t play, that I’m sick?

No Patrice, you can’t! You’ll look soft and scared. You
have to play.

On the bus to the stadium, I was feeling dizzy. It was sunny, it felt hot. In Manchester! Come on … I went up for a header against Trevor Sinclair. BOOM! An elbow in my face. Blood everywhere. I was losing it. You know the cartoons where you have a bubble that says what the character is thinking? My bubble was saying, Oh my God, these guys are so fast, so strong. It was so nice in Monte Carlo.…

At halftime, we were 2–0 down. Ferguson was raging. “And YOU, Patrice,” he shouted. “That’s enough for you! You sit down and watch now, because you have to learn English football.” I took off my boots, wiped away some blood. We lost 3–1. I was really down.
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/e...ll-you-why-i-love-this-game-manchester-united

Bocca9978

Not sure if debut but Schmeichel had a nightmare early on.
Heard on the radio he had let one in through his legs. I wasn’t confident he’d be any good.

Bole Top

Ali Dia obviously. also, Messi's debut for Argentina :lol: I mean, straight red after 2 minutes on the pitch...

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Recently, CL debut for Vandevoordt GK for genk against Napoli:

paulscholes18

Woodgate had to wait a season due to injury to play for Madrid then bangs in an OG and gets himself sent off

DavidDeSchmikes

Marcos Antonio debut for Nuremberg (blunder for a goal, nearly gifted a second, subbed after 16 minutes)
Jason Crowe was sent off 33 seconds into his Arsenal debut
De Gea in the 2011 Community Shield

Irwin99

We’ve sadly had quite a few. Mkhitaryan was horrendous against City (him and Lingard were hooked by Jose at half time)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
De Ligt for Oranje. His feck up let to a goal which cost us a tournament in the end. He was subbed at half time.

Biggest fault was Blind's though (Danny not Daley) for doing that to a 16 year old. Might be one of the worst coaches of all time that. And a cnut to boot.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
For us, Evra comes to mind.
We’ve had some shitty buys in the last 30 years or so and he looked right up there.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He got a lovely assist on his debut. If the memory serves it was Wolves away. There's a common myth that he was as bad as Evra at the beginning, probably because they both came in the same January window.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Not sure if debut but Schmeichel had a nightmare early on.
Heard on the radio he had let one in through his legs. I wasn’t confident he’d be any good.
Clean sheet on his debut against Notts County. He did have some problems at the beginning, though, I think against Wimbledon away (who didn't, mind:lol:).

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
There was a guy that Souness picked for Southampton I think - made out he was related to an awesome player (mind escapes me the name now).

But he got a game and was never seen again.

Thiagoal

Recall some mentioned Prunier in past threads.
This is who immediately sprung to mind! Was a weird signing (loan I think) and I’m pretty sure he only played one more time in his whole United career!

SerenityValley

This is who immediately sprung to mind! Was a weird signing (loan I think) and I’m pretty sure he only played one more time in his whole United career!
He was on a trial after being recommended by Cantona. Fergie wanted to extend the trial but Prunier didn’t want to, so he left.

montpelier

Glen Keeley for Everton. Sent off after 32mins as efc lose five nil at home to liverpool

He was on loan and sent straight back I think

Ian Rush scored 4

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Martin Pringle for Benfica. Not only he made a terrible game, but he passed the ball behind in the kick off, which was not allowed back in the day. He was a terrible player through.

Djuricic also at Benfica. He was a wonder kid at FM but he pretty much sucked in every department. Looked like someone from Sunday League

GJNJ

Messi's Argentina debut against Hungary, sent off after 40 seconds coming on as a sub.