Worst Injury you've seen on a football pitch?

dirtygringo

Winner of the 150 Posts in 11 Whole Years Award
Was playing 6 a side last night when a player on the opposition team went steaming into a tackle against the boards and ended up snapping his leg in two. The bottom half of his lower leg was left facing a different direction. I heard the snap and was looking straight at it when it happened. It was grim.

The poor lad went into shock immediately. The rest of us could just stand around him trying to keep him sane while we waited half an hour for the ambulance to arrive.

Found out that he was due to head off on his stag weekend this Saturday and is getting married in about six weeks. As if the injury isn't bad enough I bet his fiance will fecking kill him.

What's the worst you've seen first hand?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Was playing 6 a side last night when a player on the opposition team went steaming into a tackle against the boards and ended up snapping his leg in two. The bottom half of his lower leg was left facing a different direction. I heard the snap and was looking straight at it when it happened. It was grim.

The poor lad went into shock immediately. The rest of us could just stand around him trying to keep him sane while we waited half an hour for the ambulance to arrive.

Found out that we has due to head off on his stag weekend this Saturday and is getting married in about six weeks. As if the injury isn't bad enough I bet his fiance will fecking kill him.

What's the worst you've seen first hand?
Very similar experience to yours. Keeper came rushing out in an 11 a-side game and went absolutely clattering into the on rushing striker completely snapping the lower part of his leg. I could see bone. It was fecking horrible. The striker was perfectly fine and astonishingly got sent off.

Gannicus

Was playing college soccer against UCLA one year when they went on to win the national championship and the ball got smashed into my face.

No permanent damage but it broke my nose and blood spewed everywhere, firehose style, even down to my feet.

Pain, yes, but nothing like what was described above in David Busst fashion.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not seen anything bad first hand, but Busst is the worst I recall seeing generally.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Half an hour for an ambulance? Are you posting from a hut in the Amazon?

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
This is going back 30yrs, was playing a Sunday league game. One of the boys was putting the nets up prior to kick off. He jumped up to get the net on a hook but instead he hooked his wedding ring. Pulled his finger off, just hanging by skin. I can still hear him screaming now.
The tire tracks from the ambulance were still there weeks later.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I've lost count of the number of broken legs I've seen in games. It's not nice.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Not seen anything bad first hand, but Busst is the worst I recall seeing generally.
First one that came to my head too, I remember the sun or the mirror doing a close up shot of the break and it looked like his lower leg had detached from the top and was hanging by a piece of skin

Tarrou

Around 98/99ish, the Welsh league. My strike partner was on the edge of the box facing the goal, his foot planted in the mud, the ball changed direction quickly and he tried to turn to run back. His body turned but for some reason his leg stayed facing forward and something snapped somewhere around the knee. I still remember the noise quite vividly. Darren Campbell (former sprinter) was playing for the opposition, he called an ambulance as he was the only one who had a mobile. The wait was horrible. Took him a few years to get back on the pitch, but he was fat as fook by then.

NWOntario

The worst I've experienced was re-injuring a previously torn ACL, which resulted in not one but two additional surgeries. Haven't played since (this was October 2013). The worst I've seen was a friend breaking his femur: he literally went to kick the ball, did, and fell over. The perfect storm, basically...but it didn't puncture his femoral artery--although it came close (and had that happened he'd have died on field). Ended up driving him to hospital and having to call his parents, who didn't speak English. Helluva night.

In university my best mate broke his leg rushing into the keeper. I didn't realize he'd gone down, so I chased the ball behind the call shouting "get the damn ball!" and ran it to the corner. Set up to take, then noticed he was immobile on the ground. Ended up in hospital that night, too :p

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Playing 5 a side at school on a slick, solid wooden floor like a basketball court. One lad had his leg taken out from under him in a tackle, face hit the wooden floor with some force. Totally messed up. Nose smashed in and mouth busted open, teeth knocked out, but he had one tooth dangling from his mouth by a string of severed gum. Utterly grotesque.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
This

From personal experience, I jumped up for a header and landed right on my ankle. I was 16 stone at the time and imagine that weight falling on your ankle. The crack/snap was ridiculously loud

Ligaments gone, bruise went all the way up to my shin...Painful

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
In school, a guy went in pretty harshly on another guy. Thought the noise was one of them crushing a coke-can. It wasn't. Lower-leg facing in a total abnormal way.

Grim stuff.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It’s interesting that I used to watch all those leg-breaking injuries of people playing football, skateboarding etc when I was younger. I remember they had a dedicated show on MTV back then. But now when I see a replay of anything remotely dangerous I usually look away, I can’t stand it.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I can't even read these posts.

I still play football and when on the pitch I don't ever worry about getting injured but hearing about or seeing nasty injuries freaks me out. Broken jaw is the worst I had so I've been lucky so far

Phurry

Furry Fecker
At junior school, football pitches were the far side of the playground and up a couple of stairs. One of my mates slipped on the stairs (we were wearing out studs obviously), he came to rest at the bottom of the stairs with his fibula poking out through the front of his leg, I'll never forget it, I've seen worse on a rugby pitch though.

Adcuth

Very similar experience to yours. Keeper came rushing out in an 11 a-side game and went absolutely clattering into the on rushing striker completely snapping the lower part of his leg. I could see bone. It was fecking horrible. The striker was perfectly fine and astonishingly got sent off.
I got a full blast goalkeeper clearance straight in the plums once. Didn't look gruesome but it fecking hurt for a while. Our keeper had one hell of a strike on him

Member 39557

Worst visibly was a guy in my old team who managed to dislocate his knee. His knee cap was basically pointing sideways! He was shocked more than anything and the ambulance took ages too.

The worst actual injury was another teammate who tore his cruciate. He was mid sprint and just collapsed in a heap. A couple of my teammates claim to have heard it snap!!! He didn't have to wait long though. We had an air ambulance land on the pitch which was quite cool. He was only a young lad about 19/20 and he was very talented. He never played again. :(

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Yeah a couple of my mates were behind our goal when that happened. Said there was a pool of blood on the pitch when he was taken off. Bleurgh.
Worst I've ever seen was at our teams game and one of our lads was just launching himself it's tackles. Not sure what happened but his bone came through his leg and there was blood everywhere. It was like the Busst tackle but they came head on. We had to pull down the chain link fence so the ambulance could get on the pitch. The game was stopped as no one wanted to play it was that bad.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Funniest was watching a mate completely Phil Babb a post in similar fashion.

Worst was probably a shocker of a tackle I laid on Mr Keating our IT Teacher in the annual Year 11's Vs Teachers game. He was done for a couple days then on crutches for an ankle injury. Not my proudest moment, that came later in the game (Giggs Vs Arsenal-esque goal, I'll die happy)

pacifictheme

Yeah a couple of my mates were behind our goal when that happened. Said there was a pool of blood on the pitch when he was taken off. Bleurgh.
Yeah grim. Luckily we were behind the other goal in the front row so couldn't see that. My brother was only 6. Big pete had councilling after. Must have been awful.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This is going back 30yrs, was playing a Sunday league game. One of the boys was putting the nets up prior to kick off. He jumped up to get the net on a hook but instead he hooked his wedding ring. Pulled his finger off, just hanging by skin. I can still hear him screaming now.
Oh Christ!:(

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I once broke my leg and knocked myself out whilst defending on the post in 11-a-side in one move. No sympathy, everyone just pissed themselves, it was described at my school as an "elegant feck up".

Flying Fox

Last week in SA Second Div, Adelaide United II played Cumberland.

Fella below collided with the AU keeper, and royally fecked his arm up

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Worst one I saw was in a game I was playing in when I was about 11 or 12. One of my team mates went in for a 50 50 and dislocated the lads knee cap, the gash was so deep it didnt bleed at first. First time Id ever seen something that bad

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I had a bad one (seems minor compared to some stories here). I went up for a header and got elbowed which broke my nose, but some twunt also took me out and I had an awkward landing which snapped my left arm.

I just laid there helpless with blood everywhere. I think it may have looked funny until people realised I was broken.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I think this is the worst injury i have ever seen. :eek::(

WARNING: EXPECT TO SEE A HORRENDOUSLY BAD INJURY

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I've never seen anything like that. Crazy awful.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I've seen it all in terms of blood and guts and even once saw someone delivered to the morgue in two separate bags. Strangely though, bone fractures, particularly in videos, still impress the hell out of me. I haven't watched that video yet and usually don't shy away from seeing violence in the internet.

Also had one, was ran over when I was 10 years old and broke my femur. Still remember sating on the ground and having what looked like two knees on my right leg.

Woodzy

Initially this one made me cringe... then I started to wonder what they did with the finger and I just can't get the thought out of my head.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Playing a 5-a-side game, immediately from kick-off the ball got passed to my brother and a guy came steaming into him and caught him high on the shin. Broke his shin pad and his leg in two places... When he jumped his leg below his knee was completely floppy (no ones leg should ever be floppy) and then when he went down, his leg was pointing in the completely wrong direction. Absolutely horrifying.

I missed an 11-a-side game 3 weeks ago where our player manager broke his leg, apparently that was pretty grim... and this weekend our centre back went for a high ball with his foot, whilst our left-back went for it with his head, and he ended up getting kicked right in the neck/shoulder... that made a horrible sound.