Film Worst Oscar snubs of all time?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The Shining looked good but missed the point of the book and Jack Nicholson hit peak over acting.

Full Metal Jacket was great for half the film them got really really bad. The mock-up of Vietnam in the second half was terrible.

Everything else I hated. A director with the emotional depth of a McDonald's advert.
I agree. 2001 is also really overrated.

The only Kubrick film I have liked is Eyes Wide Shut.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No way was Lagaan better than No Man's Land let alone Amelie which was a great movie.
I think it was comfortably better than both. No film sends shivers down my spine as much as Lagaan did.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I don't have a list but 6 films I think are great off the top of my head are

Godfather 2
Apocalypse Now
Blade Runner The Final Cut
3 Colours Blue
Spirited Away
Brazil

But also lots of popcorn fluff that are great entertainment if a bit short of truly great film status but tend to have rematch value. Shawshank wouldn't make this list for me as it was enjoyable but with no rematch value at all for me.

The Thing
Gladiator
T2
Good Will Hunting
Raisers of the Lost Arc
Truly Madly Deeply
Star Wars (the first 2 or 3)
The best 2 or 3 Tarentino films

And there are loads more particularly in the second category. Truly great films are very rare indeed.
Why the Godfather 2 without the Godfather? One doesn’t work without the other.

Blade Runner is overrated IMO (as is Ridley Scott, mostly. Alien is good)

The other flicks in your ‘great’ six are all good to great films though.

Re the popcorn flicks, I’ve grown to hate all the Indians Jones films, especially Temple of Doom.

Gladiator is overrated IMO (Scott again)

I like T1 more than T2

Good Will Hunting has one of the most unrealistic protagonists in the history of cinema.

Tarantino is very patchy and has kind of become a parody of himself, but you have to say that his early films are good.

Star Wars is basically a kids’ flick, but its cultural impact cannot be denied.

Last edited:

reddevilchennai

Apocalypse Now losing to Kramer vs Kramer. I love Kramer vs Kramer but Apocalypse Now is on another level. It's such a difficult movie to make even now but Coppola did that movie in 1979.

Ennio Morricone should have won it few times before he was finally given for The Hateful Eight. The Mission is one such masterpiece, it deserved academy award for sure. The same goes with Western movies he combined with Sergio Leone. Those tracks are still so fresh to hear even now.

Al Pacino not winning for all those wonderful performances in 70s. Godfather 2, Serpico, Dog day afternoon.

Last edited:

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Snubs are snubs.

Ralph Fiennes not wining Oscar for Amon Goth is a crime. Beyond any comprehension.

edit: And Al Pacino should have won several Oscars. Scent of a woman is not even in Top 3 of his best performances. It is still fantastic though.
This.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I don't have a list but 6 films I think are great off the top of my head are

Godfather 2
Apocalypse Now
Blade Runner The Final Cut
3 Colours Blue
Spirited Away
Brazil

But also lots of popcorn fluff that are great entertainment if a bit short of truly great film status but tend to have rematch value. Shawshank wouldn't make this list for me as it was enjoyable but with no rematch value at all for me.

The Thing
Gladiator
T2
Good Will Hunting
Raisers of the Lost Arc
Truly Madly Deeply
Star Wars (the first 2 or 3)
The best 2 or 3 Tarentino films

And there are loads more particularly in the second category. Truly great films are very rare indeed.

Not a bad list by any means. Great to see Spirited Away get a mention as that's just a remarkable film.

But I'd place a handful of movies from each decade up against that list or even above any of those movies. Of course, we all have our preferences (I love crime movies and find war movies a bit overrated in general).
Rashomon, North by Northwest, Dr Strangelove, Chinatown, Godfather I, Blue Velvet, Stand by Me, Stand and Deliver, Reservoir Dogs, Mystic River, Fight Club, Usual Suspects, Memento, Seven, No Country for Old Men, Inherent Vice, Hell or High Water, Grand Budapest, Nocturnal Animals, The Florida Project, etc are all as good as any on that first list for me. Plenty of other underrated greats too like Werckmeister Harmonies or Wild Goose Lake that might not be for some people's tastes. Anderson, Refn, Noe are all amazing directors that have advanced the brilliance of cinema.

For your "popcorn" list, I quite enjoyed most of those. But, I find your inclusion of Good Will Hunting over Shawshank (and dozens of others) truly baffling, especially with the whole "rewatchable" factor. Good Will Hunting has little rewatch value and it's really not even entertaining as a film in reflection since it plays on so many unrealistic American fantasy tropes, to say the least (Damon and Affleck are also hella annoying in that one but hey personal preference). Tons of other great popcorn flicks in the class of those movies though from Boondock Saints to all of Taylor Sheridan's movies, Drive, Nolan's Batman and Inception, Oldboy, Hero, and House of Flying Daggers, etc. The Thing is a meh movie for me as well. I'd take the Japanese Ringu over The Thing.

Last edited: