Worst Performances In Premier League History

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Off the back of the below tweet, what are the worst actual performances (as distinct from results) you can remember in the PL? Arsenal's 8-2 loss is the one that has stuck in my mind but there might be others I'm forgetting.

Raw

From what I remember, Arsenal had quite a few players out from injury and suspension in the 8-2. We had a near full strength team FFS.

Caesar2290

4-0 down at half time. 5-0 down with 11 men. All of this at OT with a near full strength 11. And to top it off, it's against Liverpool.

This for sure has to be one of the worst ever performances by Manchester United. Ever

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The City & Spurs games also at least had a mitigating sending off at 2-1…. Our sending off today was at 5-0.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

I'm 31 and I have memories of Cantona playing... this is the worst i can think off for or against us.

We beat ares 5 or 6 1 and Yorke got a hat trick might be the only one that comes close.

The 6 1 against City had a sending off and a few late goals, arsenal 8 2 they had a second string team out.

EtH

Today was worse than the 8-2 for Arsenal or any result I can recall in my time supporting United. Liverpool literally quit playing less than an hour in.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We were 4-0 down at the Etihad at HT under Sarri a few years ago. Lost 6-0.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Worst united performance and result of my lifetime. I've never stopped watching before full time i think ever.

Oldyella

From what I remember, Arsenal had quite a few players out from injury and suspension in the 8-2. We had a near full strength team FFS.
Liverpool were missing more players than us.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Didn’t Norwich once need a win against another shit team to stay up, and lost 6-0? That must have been bad. Can’t have been much worse than today though

Ranchero

4-0 down at half time. 5-0 down with 11 men. All of this at OT with a near full strength 11. And to top it off, it's against Liverpool.

This for sure has to be one of the worst ever performances by Manchester United. Ever
The humiliation is complete when Liverpool take their foot off the gas after Pogba was sent off and played with us cruelly as a cat does with a mouse before the final kill.

EtH

As far as PL goes Southampton’s performance in the 9-0 drubbing by Leicester surely takes the biscuit.

Zoo

No idea. But this performance has come in a season of awful ones so far where there is a real end of days feel with the manager.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The context of who you were playing and your recent few results makes this performance feel worse than it actually was, I would imagine.

But yeah, it was a stinker.

SAFMUTD

It the worst performance from ManUtd that I've seen in my life that's for sure.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Didn't Wigan concede 8 twice in 09/10.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In terms of United, I mean yeah it's up there. Definitely the worst of the hammerings we've received

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Given the cost of United's starting XI and the quality of players within that side, it's certainly up there. The first 45 minutes were tactically horrific by United. There have been worse results but there's normally mitigating circumstances (Southampton getting players sent off against Leicester/United, Arsenal's injury crisis in the 8-2 etc), but United don't have that excuse today.

I would say our 7-2 at Villa was pretty horrendous though. Tactically dreadful that day, playing a high line that Villa exploited over and over again.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If they hadn’t taken foot off the gas they would have won this 7-0 or 8-0 comfortably. And it was at home. This must have been the worst, cannot imagine anyone doing any worse than this.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
The 8-2 is more remembered because of the score but Arsenal had kids and third string players on the pitch. Today, on paper, you had a "normal" squad and 100M+ on the bench.
Salah not even celebrating his second goal at Old Trafford was rough to watch (but very funny).

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
The context of who you were playing and your recent few results makes this performance feel worse than it actually was, I would imagine.

But yeah, it was a stinker.
Losing 0-5 to Liverpool at OT in any context would be horrible.

Josh 76

If they hadn’t taken foot off the gas they would have won this 7-0 or 8-0 comfortably. And it was at home. This must have been the worst, cannot imagine anyone doing any worse than this.
Not sure about that. It may have looked like the took their foot off the gas, but Utd knew they couldn’t get anything from the game and just tried to keep the score down.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The 8-2 is more remembered because of the score but Arsenal had kids and third string players on the pitch. Today, on paper, you had a "normal" squad and 100M+ on the bench.
Salah not even celebrating his second goal at Old Trafford was rough to watch (but very funny).
Szczesny
Jenkinson
Djourou
Koscielny
Traore
Ramsey
Coquelin
Rosicky
Walcott
RVP
Arshavin

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Some of Arsenal's performances at the end of the Wenger era were abject.
I remember we were 3-0 up after 30 minutes in front of a 30% full Emirates and we took our foot off the gas knowing full well that they had no interest in a comeback.

Moby

Dick
This was bad, but the 1-4 at OT vs Liverpool in 09 still remains my most hurtful memory of watching United. We were under Fergie's best possible spell as manager, going into the stride to win the title, the team was filled with quality players and the game felt as the one we would decide the title race in given Liverpool was the other contender.

We took the lead from the penalty - but then that Torres goal leaving Vidic flat on his ass who was probably the best defender in the world and something that still gets brought up when he is discussed, and after that it just kept going bad to worse. Gerrard scoring and kissing the camera, then Vidic sent off and we concede from the resultant free kick and to end it all the absolute kick in the nuts with fecking Dossena scoring a chip from distance over Van Der Sar. It's one thing having Mo Salah scoring, quite another having an absolute no mark player embarrassing one of the best keepers we had who had set league records that year.

I think for Liverpool fans as well that would probably be a better memory than today. Especially as it gave them title hopes, and given they got it with Fergie in charge and dishing out a humiliation at OT at that time would have been a lot more satisfying.

Oranges038

Ipswich v Utd - 0-9
Forrest v Utd - 1-8
Newcastle v Wednesday 8-1
Southampton v Utd & Leicester - both 9s
Spurs v Wigan 9-1
City v Boro - 1-8
Utd v City - 1-6
Everton v Sunderland 7-1
Utd v Barnsley 0-7
Utd v Spurs - 1-6
Liverpool v Villa - 2-7
Utd v Newcastle- 0-5
Utd v Southamton - 3-6
Utd v Arsenal - 6-1 and 8-2
Chelsea for half a season
Derby for a whole season
Norwich 2 years ago
Norwich this season
Today
And maybe next week.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Strange as it sounds irrc Arsenal weren't actually THAT bad in the 8-2 and had enough chances to score 5 or 6 themselves if they were more clinical.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The 8-2 still makes me cry in the middle of the night.