Worst players we’ve been linked with

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Seems to be the biggest “thank god we didn’t sign him” of recent memory. What on earth were we thinking. As average as they come and extremely injury prone. Would’ve been a disaster.
It was probably something to do with Ole's plan to only sign British players, which he has given up on now by the looks of it. Thank god we didn't waste 50mil on him

FatTails

Yohan Cabaye. To be fair, this one looks terrible in hindsight but that happened when he was doing very well in the PL.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yohan Cabaye. To be fair, this one looks terrible in hindsight but that happened when he was doing very well in the PL.
Everyone screaming that we didn’t sign him in January 2014 when he went to PSG. Turned out meh for them and decent enough for Palace.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If you go back there’s so many. I remember us being linked to Carlton Cole.

Then there’s basically anyone who played for Holland in 2014 other than Robben who was obviously sensational.

James McCarthy is a great shout. I actually wanted him at one point.

Delano

Maybe not the right one for this thread; and definitely a sad story, Matt Jansen.

By all accounts, we'd triggered a clause in his contract before he had a motorcycle accident and his career never really recovered. Good to see he is in a better place these days.

Di Canio is another interesting one, Fergie really wanted him but apparently he wanted too much money.

Raredaredevil

Felipe Anderson
Mahamadou Diarra
Didier Zokora
Alvaro Morata
Andrea Belotti
Sebastian Haller
Harry Kewell
Cicinho
Van der Vaart
Aaron Lennon
Samir Nasri
Morten Gamst Pedersen
Half of these players were actually pretty decent players to be fair. I mean Nasri played a key role in City winning the league and I remember we got caught in a transfer war with them over him and he chose City because of wages.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe not the right one for this thread; and definitely a sad story, Matt Jansen.

By all accounts, we'd triggered a clause in his contract before he had a motorcycle accident and his career never really recovered. Good to see he is in a better place these days.

Di Canio is another interesting one, Fergie really wanted him but apparently he wanted too much money.
Jansen definitely belongs on the list. Di Canio was good, probably a bit past it when we were linked, but doesn’t really belong on this list.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
We were linked to Joey Barton at one point - not the worst player probably, but no. Absolutely no.

It was during the great central-midfielder signing drought of the last six years or so of Sir Alex’s time, so there actually was genuine discussion in the transfer forum over whether he would be better than nothing in central-midfield :D

Solskjær's Red Army

Supports
United & Rot-Weiss Essen
Ivan Perisic
Ben White
Saido Berahino
Matteo Darmian
Anderson Talisca
Renato Sanches
Sean Longstaff

snk123

We were linked to Joey Barton at one point - not the worst player probably, but no. Absolutely no.

It was during the great central-midfielder signing drought of the last six years or so of Sir Alex’s time, so there actually was genuine discussion in the transfer forum over whether he would be better than nothing in central-midfield :D
Ah yes Joey Barton, touted as the next Roy Keane for us. Turned out he only had Keane’s anger issues, not the footballing ability.

GueRed

Kewell and Pedersen were decent players too. Would have been bench players at best in our teams during that period though.
Yeah Kewell was an exciting young talent early days at Leeds. Was outstanding during the 1999/2000 season.
Won Young Player of The Year.

By the time he moved to Liverpool in 2003 he had dropped a few levels though.