Worst Shirt Numbers

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Henry was a little weird with 14 but he made the number significant. I'm sure that's why Lingard took 14 at United too.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Not weird at all. Keane with 16, and Scholes with 18 must freak you out.
16 and 18 are midfielder numbers, like 6 and 8 only more varied role, a striker would have ‘10’ added on and be more 19 or 20 like Yorke or Ole.
14 is not a striker number.

*I only just thought and made all that up but it actually makes sense

16 and 18 are midfielder numbers, like 6 and 8 only more varied role, a striker would have ‘10’ added on and be more 19 or 20 like Yorke or Ole.

Anything between 12 and 24 (or whatever arbitrary cut off), is fair game for any player. 12 and 14 were the traditional outfield subs, and 13 the reserve keeper.

Hernandez wore no 14.

When we compare this to Sidwell having no 9, or Davids having no 1, it’s very normal!

miked99

Years ago, before all this new fangled squad numbers thing became all the rage, I'm sure there was an Argentina goalkeeper who used to have something proposterous like number 5 as his shirt number. Must be one of the earliest examples of this nonsense

EDIT - maybe it was 8. Which is even worse

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
I can't post images but Adolfo Bautista wore 100 for my team Chivas Guadalajara. He even wore #1 during Copa Libertadores matches as they didn't allow 3 digit numbers and our keeper at the time wore an odd number himself

Red Stone

Years ago, before all this new fangled squad numbers thing became all the rage, I'm sure there was an Argentina goalkeeper who used to have something proposterous like number 5 as his shirt number. Must be one of the earliest examples of this nonsense

EDIT - maybe it was 8. Which is even worse
Argentina gave out squad numbers alphabetically at the '82 World Cup, which gave midfielder Osvaldo Ardiles the number 1 shirt and keeper Ubaldo Fillol the number 7 shirt of all things. The only exception was El Diego, who was naturally given the number 10 shirt because anything else would have been heresy.

Chipper

Adulterer.

You just listed my Football Manager game number picking convention. Thought I was the only one who came up with that. :lol:

Initially 1-11 as normal, then second choice outfield players are 12-21 with the second digit of the number corresponding to their playing position, just with a 1 or 2 at the front. Second choice right back = 12, second choice #9 is 19 etc. The only one that makes me feel uneasy is the second choice left back getting 13 which when used is mostly a goalie number in the real world. I just give 22 to the second choice 'keeper instead and make an exception there.

Youth players I have to assign numbers to then go by the same format. A 9 will always have a number ending in a 9 even it's 39 or 49. I sometimes run into problems with further goalies and left wingers ending in a 1 and have had a 51 or 61, maybe the odd 71 at times. Players keep their numbers for the entirety of their career at the club as I don't want to disappoint the 'fans' in case they bought a shirt with a name/number on only for me to change it.

Last edited:

MemphisThePie

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Unpopular opinion but I liked Buffon’s 88 at Parma.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Unpopular opinion but I liked Buffon’s 88 at Parma.
I wasn't aware of that, is there a story behind it or just random?

There was a bit of trend with players having their year of birth as their shirt number at one point, but he was born in 78 so it's not that.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I wasn't aware of that, is there a story behind it or just random?
"I have chosen 88 because it reminds me of four balls and in Italy we all know what it means to have balls: strength and determination," he said. "And this season I will have to have balls to get back my place in the Italy team." The plot, though, thickens. "At first I didn't choose 88," he explained. "I wanted 00 but the league told me that was impossible. I also considered 01 but that was not considered a proper number. I liked 01 because it was the number on the General Lee car in the TV series the Dukes of Hazzard."
Buffon in trouble for choosing the wrong number at Parma.