Worst Transfers of all Time

BrownRecluse

Supports
Liverpool
Christian Poulsen. Didn’t hate the guy but man was he bad.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Without a doubt.

Using these criteria, in what world is Ibra worse than Sanchez?
Young - No, supposedly in his prime
Injury - No, just washed up and finished
Different leagues - No, Ibra at least went from Italy to Spain, Sanchez stayed within the league

Ibra for Barcelona - 46 matches, 23 goals, 13 assists. Sold for 24 million after one season.
Dog Walker for us - 45 matches, 5 goals, 9 assists. Impossible to get rid of, rotting on the bench while being one of the highest paid players in the world.
The thing with the Zlatan transfer is that Barca paid €40M (huuuge at the time) and gave Inter a better player in the deal, which was totally perplexing.

Last edited by a moderator:

pawanraj

Nobody mentioned Veron for us? At the time, the most expensive English transfer - flattered to deceive in our midfield.

I personally even sported a Veron like shaved head and a goatee. Much disappointment resulted on all accounts.

The only thing I remember is his volley against Newcastle in his first(?) season for us

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
Dmytro Chygrynskiy to Barcelona for €25 million in 2009, about £21.5 million back then. Only Pepe and Ferdinand had been more expensive centre backs prior to this.

In a career spanning two spells at Shakhtar Donetsk, a year on loan at Metalurh Zaporizhya, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk and now AEK Athens, a year at Barcelona the year after they did their first Treble stands out almost as much as he didn't. 14 games and one year later, he was sent straight back to Shakhtar, recouping a respectable €15 million in the process. The previous year, they had bought Piqué for a quarter of the price, so... not a good investment, all things considered.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Andy Carroll for £35 million was just staggeringly bad business. Followed up by spending £20 million on Downing to try and get the best of him!

Liverpool played such great football with a front four of Maxi, Suarez, Kuyt and Meireles, but then had to tear it up to try and accommodate Carroll on his return from injury. Not only was Carroll not suited to our style of football, but also he has admitted to not watching football, and going out on the piss etc during his time at the club. The thing that made it even more infuriating was that at the time we signed Carroll, I really wanted us to get Aguero, who signed for City for the exact same fee 6 months later!

I often wonder how things would have turned out if Liverpool had signed Suarez and Aguero in that January 2011 window!

Bole Top

among more obvious and expensive ones, Iturbe. he was highly rated once and joined Roma in 2014. for about 25-30 mill., but his career really went nowhere. they loaned him to Bournemouth but he couldn't even start there and now he's playing in Mexico. he recently turned 26 so he's still fairly young but it looks like he's already closer to leagues like MLS than ever doing anything in Europe.

Sulejmani for Ajax? 17 mill. was a pretty big fee in 2008. for club like Ajax and they didn't get anything for him as he left as a free agent.

I also heard Taarabt is on a high contract at Benfica and almost impossible to offload. after they bought him in 2014., they put him in their reserve team and never played him, but he actually managed to make his debut about 4 years later (!).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I remembered the existence of Arda Turan, he virtually put an end to his career at top level by forcing a move to Barcelona.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Darko Pancev to Inter
Luther Blissett to Milan
Ian Rush to Juve

ravi2

I remembered the existence of Arda Turan, he virtually put an end to his career at top level by forcing a move to Barcelona.
I believe SAF had laid the groundwork for Turan's transfer as well as Garay and Moyes vetoed them both.

MiceOnMeth

Strange transfer by Barca, Turan just didn't seem like a barca player at all

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Shevchenko from Milan to Chelsea for 30m in 2006. Fabulous player in his day.