Worst United signings of the past decade

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The best signings thread is a lot harder to judge.

Nanook

So who all makes your Top 10?

1. Di Maria
2. Sanchez
3. Bebe
will post rest later...

Does Zaha, Falcao, Depay etc make your list?
How can anybody say Di Maria was worse than Sanchez? Di Maria had a very good start and turned shit, Sanchez was always shit. We also sold Di Maria for about 75% of what we bought him for.

Tel074

How can anybody say Di Maria was worse than Sanchez? Di Maria had a very good start and turned shit, Sanchez was always shit. We also sold Di Maria for about 75% of what we bought him for.

Completely agree with you . To say Di Maria is the worse signing is madness . Sanchez was way way worse as was Falcao . Fred so far has also been a shocking signing for 50 odd million

Irwin99

I think it's because that for all of Sanchez's awfulness it seemed that he did actually try to make things work here whereas a few months into his only season many got the impression that Di Maria completely gave up and just wanted to get the hell out ASAP (also he never actually wanted to be here in the first place). His application in the final few months was absolutely shocking and I think that's why he's so disliked by our fan base. I dislike him a lot more than Sanchez I have to admit.

fps

Obviously Sanchez, obviously Fellaini because of the precedent it set, obviously DiMaria because he didn't want to come to the club.

After those....

It's not his fault, but Falcao. United paid a lot there and should have got someone else in.

I'd also mention Depay, who was instantly given the number 7 shirt and promptly did nothing to justify it while generally acting like a big-time Charlie.

Di Maria was probably the most exciting signing we've had post SAF, for the first few months. It was only when the Manchester winter set in that it all went to shit.

Edit: other than Pogba

SAFMUTD

Considering the cost and wages, the impact they have/had on the team and the resale value my list is the following:

1-. Alexis Sanchez
2-. Matic
3-. Mhikitaryan
4-. Fred
5-. Bailly
6-. Rojo
7-. Schneiderlin
8-. Scweinsteiger
9. Mata
10. Kawaga

There were other bad transfers like Di Maria, Depay, Darmian, Falcao, Blind but we were able to recoup most of the transfer when we sold them thats why I didnt include them on that list.

OverratedOpinion

Schneiderlin or Alexis depending on who cost more when taking wages and whatever we could have sold Mhikitaryan for into account.

Both did essentially nothing whilst all other signings I can think of apart from maybe Falcao contributed in some way. I think Alexis might actually win due to displacing Martial.

simplyared

Agree there has been numerous threads with the same title. Ok if you push me.
Fred is the worse signing. Watching the guy just annoys me. Con merchant!

fps

Considering the cost and wages, the impact they have/had on the team and the resale value my list is the following:

1-. Alexis Sanchez
2-. Matic
3-. Mhikitaryan
4-. Fred
5-. Bailly
6-. Rojo
7-. Schneiderlin
8-. Scweinsteiger
9. Mata
10. Kawaga

There were other bad transfers like Di Maria, Depay, Darmian, Falcao, Blind but we were able to recoup most of the transfer when we sold them thats why I didnt include them on that list.
While Sanchez is the undisputed number one, the value in terms of resale and wages isn't that important compared with what they do or don't contribute on the pitch. A different player could have been signed in the place of many of these players, a player who might have fit the club and style and got United back up at least into regular CL contention. That to me is where the signings really need to be judged, on the pitch. The money isn't the most important thing, it's the opportunity cost versus other players who could have been brought in, and the way they've played.

Lentwood

1. Sanchez

Not only was he absolutely terrible, he massively upset our wage structure which resulted in further ludicrous contracts being awarded to disgruntled teammates.

2. Fred

I do feel sorry for the bloke at times because he clearly tries and it’s not like he’s absolutely terrible beyond all hope. The problem is, we paid £52m for him and he doesn’t look particularly good at anything.

3. Bebe

A bad player and a baffling fee, given he was available for a fraction of that weeks earlier.

4. Mata

Controversial I know! Firstly, I think Mata has been garbage for us, for the most part, bar the odd moment of class. Secondly, he cost nearly £40m. Thirdly, his style is completely at odds with how we supposedly want to play. He’s infuriatingly slow and cautious. Finally, he smacked of a thoughtless panic buy.

5. Matic

Again more the fee and value for money delivered than me thinking he’s a terrible player. Also, we’re talking about “bad signings” - I think spending £40m on a 29yo who’s best years were behind him is a great example of the short-term thinking that has plagued the club. Even if he had been a God-like genius for three years we have then needed to spend another wad of cash to replace and we don’t have that luxury with so many holes to plug

Dishonourable Mention - ADM

Would have been in the five but he is undoubtedly a good player so I can’t criticise the thinking behind the signing too much, plus we recouped most of the fee.

Josh 76

1-. Alexis Sanchez
2-. Matic
3-. Mhikitaryan
4-. Fred
5-. Bailly
6-. Rojo
7-. Schneiderlin
8-. Scweinsteiger
9. Mata
10. Kawaga

This looks a great team on paper pre Utd.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Moyes
Mourinho
Sanchez

Fosu-Mens

Based on cost/wage and abilities.
1. Fred. I seriously doubt the scouting done and what they saw in him. Bought him to spite City.
2. Sanchez. A systematic scouting approach would have highlighted the out of form/declined problem. Bought him to spite City.
3. Schweinsteiger. See Sanchez. Bought him based on past merits and abilities.
4. Lukaku. If Inter was not so stupid, we would have not gotten £50m for him next summer. Technical abilities far below whats needed.
5. Schneiderlin. Limited.

I think in 12 months time Maguire will be on a top 5 list of worst post-SAF transfers.

Canagel

1. Sanchez
2. Jones
3. Schweinsteiger
4. Schneiderlin
5. Matic
6. Rojo
7. Fellaini
8. Mkhitaryan
9. Lukaku
10. Young

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The order is tricky:

1. Sanchez (not much to be said)
2. Schweinsteiger (Scholes back out of retirement would have been more use)
3. Bebe (still doesn't make any sense)
4. Rojo (replaced Evans who was a far better player + gave away Nani on loan, still the best RW we've had in the last decade)
5. Darmian (never trust Caf transfer experts, Rafael was far better)
6. Mata (a major reason our attack has been poor for so long, zero threat to the oppostion)
7. Di Maria. (top player but badly used, another LVG transfer disaster)

Jury's out but could move up/down the list:

8. Bailly (has always been rash, error and injury prone)
9. Fred (he's been no use whatsoever until recently)
10. Lindelof (I still don't know what he's good at, bought for £30m+ the same summer we could have had Maguire for £15m)

Cloud7

Sanchez is the worst signing the club made in my 27 years of life. No one even comes close to him.

el3mel

Every one bar RVP, Fellaini, Mata, Martial, Zlatan, Herrera and Romero were in one way or another terrible signings.

The jury is still on the current 3 new additions but James and AWB will probably end up as good signings for their value. Not sure about Maguire though, for the most expensive defender in the world he doesn't seem like one so far, decent but not outstanding. Let's see what will happen.

el3mel

1. Fred. I seriously doubt the scouting done and what they saw in him. Bought him to spite City.
2. Sanchez. A systematic scouting approach would have highlighted the out of form/declined problem. Bought him to spite City.
4. Lukaku. If Inter was not so stupid, we would have not gotten £50m for him next summer. Technical abilities far below whats needed.

I think in 12 months time Maguire will be on a top 5 list of worst post-SAF transfers.
He flopped here of course but not sure how they can be so stupid when he has scored 7 goals in 10 league games for them so far. I think they are getting their money worth it. Each club can view players in different ways than other clubs.

Seven Seas Sardines

He flopped here of course but not sure how they can be so stupid when he has scored 7 goals in 10 league games for them so far. I think they are getting their money worth it. Each club can view players in different ways than other clubs.
Inter and Conte played a blinder realising his real potential was in stat padding against the farmers of Lecce and Brescia.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
He’s a goalscorer. Don’t think he flopped at United, it’s just that with City and Liverpool so good he’s not the forward to win you the league... 10-20 years ago, you’d win the league with him but wouldn’t get past the CL QF/SF.

Obiorahking_

Di Maria was a bad signing. Talented player who produced for us but wasn't ideal given the coaching scheme. Fred is a horrible signing.

jem

What makes you say that?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Sanchez - highest paid, high expectation, but no end products, very poor performances. I am afraid we will loss 60m in salary for this piece of shite.
2. Fred - 50m worth of investment, 5-10m worth of performance.
3. Di Maria - high fee and high expectation, big reputation, flopped, 15m+ loss in just a year
4. Bebe - 7m totally wasted, worst ever performance I've seen from Man Utd player, he belongs to 3rd division.
5. Falcao - very expensive loan fees, but joke of performances. We wasted all the loan money on him (around 6m)
6. Matic - Cost us around 40m, his first season is decent, but after that he is not good, too slow, and becoming a deadwood.
7. Bailly - he is always injured or rash, and we've spent 30m. Seems like bad business.
8. Darmian - we only signed him for around 12m, its cheap for Italian international, but he has spent 4 years here playing bit part role or on the bench or reserve, offering us nothing.
9. Bastian - to be fair we get him fairly cheap, and its not his fault LVG didn't play him much. But with such big reputation, he is a disappointment.
10. Rojo - Cost us around 16m, not really that expensive for squad player, but he stay here for too long and becoming a deadwood.

Web of Bissaka

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sanchez, worst signing in PL history maybe.

Fosu-Mens

Lukaku had 10 goals after his first 9 matches for us if I'm not mistaken.
It was Conte that made a fuss about not getting Lukaku, thus almost forcing Inter to sack him or get Romelu.

What makes you say that?
We have already seen his problems when playing against mobile attackers(Batshuayi), or when forced to make quick movements(Yarmolenko). If/when we are going to play less park the bus and counter (we will not get far by continuing doing this) and trying to implement a higher press and more possession oriented approach, we will allow more counter-attacks and Maguire will be more isolated or in situations with more space. His lack of mobility is a big weakness in our defence unless we park the bus or play extreme possession.