Worst United XI of PL era?

slored1

Relative to the amount of playing time, expectations, ability and since I started watching games (2007) mine is:

Kusczak
AWB - Maguire - Blackett - Buttner
Schneiderlin - Schweinsteiger - Pereira
Bebe - Falcao - Sanchez

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Players like Obertan, Bebe, Manucho, Varela even Buttner shouldn't be included.

They should come up with some criteria, like number of league games or something like that.

Was Varela worse than random kids we gave debut to, like Blackett? Dont think so.
Agree with, definitely with the likes of Bellion who cost about £1m so was a cheap punt on a young player with potential who didn't kick on, similar to Obertan. Manucho and Bebe were just bizarre signings.

Schneiderlin was massively underwhelming, but more meh, than shocking I guess.

Lee565

Mcnair was far worse than rojo
Think I would take djemba and kleberson over mctominay too

Bobski

No point picking players with only 2/3 appearances in this, other than Taibi.

Taibi
John Curtis
Ronnie Wallwork
May-The proto-Jones
Rojo-Decent CB, beyond abysmal LB
Obertan
Liam Miller
Schweinsteiger- "the watch Ana Ivanovic play tennis retirement year"
Bebe
Jordi Cruyff
Sanchez

tentan

Poor man's poster.
----------------De gea
AWB----Varane----Maguire-----Shaw
--------Bruno---Fred---Pogba
-----Sancho---------Ronaldo------Rashford

Blood Mage

---------------------------- Taibi ---------------------------------------

Darmian ---- Silvestre ---- Blackett ------ Buttner

--- Powell --- Schneiderlin --- Djemba-Djemba--------

Obertan ---------------- Manucho ---------------------- Bebe

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Imo, Fellini should not be on any of these teams as he bailed United many times and was liked by multiple managers. Probably the most effective Plan B United had in their recent period.

paulscholes18

Didn't Donald Love play a game for us at right back?

He's far worse than Varela or Darmian for me
Yes vs Sunderland and I think also Midtjylland.

Taibi
Love McNair Blackett Williams
Oberton Kleberson Djemba-Djemba Bebe
Sanchez Falcao

haru krentz

what is the criteria though? calling the likes of bellion, manucho, prunier worst signings didnt sit quite well with me considering nobody bat an eye when we signed them. worst signings should only be players who came with big money or big reputation in the first place, with the fans having high expectation on them, so my pick will be:

Taibi/Barthez:
Darmian
Jones/Maguire
Lindelof/Baily
Rojo:
Schneiderlin
Veron
Anderson:
Sanchez
Lukaku
Di Maria

*Barthez cost us CL for 2 seasons in a row!

I always find it funny that Prunier gets on these lists. Signed as a trialist had one decent game, set up a goal. Followed by a shocker where he was part of a team where half of the normal defence was missing. And Fergie wanted to keep him for longer.

I wouldn't just go for players who were just plain shite, but also players who have been utter shite but should have been a lot better than they were. I also would find it hard to include youth players who were given a shot but just weren't good enough in the long run, otherwise you could fill a team with the likes of Spector, Wallwork, Eagles, Gibson, Dong etc..

Carroll

Wan Bissaka
Jones
Rojo
Buttner

Veron
Kleberson
Djemba x2

Sanchez
Miktharian
Di Maria

Subs.
Bellion
Manucho
Bebe
Miller
Taibi
Darmian
Telles
May
Poborsky
Cruyff
cant believe your forgot Schneiderlin :lol:

Oranges038

what is the criteria though? calling the likes of bellion, manucho, prunier worst signings didnt sit quite well with me considering nobody bat an eye when we signed them. worst signings should only be players who came with big money or big reputation in the first place, with the fans having high expectation on them, so my pick will be:

Taibi/Barthez:
Darmian
Jones/Maguire
Lindelof/Baily
Rojo:
Schneiderlin
Veron
Anderson:
Sanchez
Lukaku
Di Maria

*Barthez cost us CL for 2 seasons in a row!

cant believe your forgot Schneiderlin :lol:
To be honest I forgot he even existed. I've luckily been able to blank out most of the LVG era. Probably because I fell asleep for most of the games.

Josep Dowling

I’m going for expectation and cost compared to reality:

Barthez

AWB
Maguire
Jones
Rojo

Schweinsteiger
Schneiderlin
Pogba

Di Maria
Lukaku
Sanchez

432JuanMata

If it is just the players level then our current players wouldn’t get in as they are better than they show.
We had some trash that SAF made look good

Patrick Astwood

Schweinsteiger was not a completely incompetent player himself, although not a good one either in his time for us, but he believed totally in his manager's negative and depressing football, was his representative in the team, and embodied and promulgated his ideas on the pitch. Schweinsteiger should be shite captain of the shite team.
Bayern got the best of him.

Dansk

William Prunier had a trial for us. He played two games and was never legitimately a United player, he was never signed. Seems silly to put him in there.

Rojo wasn't particularly great but he was by no means the worst one. He's a 5/10 player.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Harsh on players who played a handful of games. Also Rojo had a nice purple patch at one point.

For me, going by amount of games played

Carroll - lower prem level goalkeeper who cost us against Milan. Also the hilarious Mendes blunder he got away with.

Darmian - awful in attack and defence. Maybe the weakest defender we have ever had in the EPL

Blanc - terrible debut season, okay the second season but way past his prime

McNair - kept Lukaku quiet though

Telles - He’s basically Darmian

McTominay - awful player, doesn’t do a lot on both ends

Gibson - long range merchant. Scored a few bangers then decided to shoot every time he had the ball

Schneiderlin - a ghost of a player. Did nothing of note

Sanchez - it was painful watching him, he seemed to be out on his feet every time he played but did try hard

Falcao - couldn’t stand up for longer than 5 minutes it seemed. Fell over constantly

Obertan - the fact his previous club were amazed we signed him should have been enough to warn the club.

vlad93

Football is a cruel game. Donny is out with a thigh injury at everton fc so that shows you can't bulk up if you want to protect yourself. Probably took a knee to the thigh. Depth of the muscle injury which sucks. So don won't make the world cup squad. Don will probably get another loan this summer

el3mel

I always find it funny that Prunier gets on these lists. Signed as a trialist had one decent game, set up a goal. Followed by a shocker where he was part of a team where half of the normal defence was missing. And Fergie wanted to keep him for longer.

I wouldn't just go for players who were just plain shite, but also players who have been utter shite but should have been a lot better than they were. I also would find it hard to include youth players who were given a shot but just weren't good enough in the long run, otherwise you could fill a team with the likes of Spector, Wallwork, Eagles, Gibson, Dong etc..

Carroll

Wan Bissaka
Jones
Rojo
Buttner

Veron
Kleberson
Djemba x2

Sanchez
Miktharian
Di Maria

Subs.
Bellion
Manucho
Bebe
Miller
Taibi
Darmian
Telles
May
Poborsky
Cruyff
Di Maria ? He was our top assists maker in the season he played in. He might ended up a disappointment for his caliber but definitely not in our worst XI.

And Mikhi was also quite decent.

Hell, no way AWB is worse than Darmian and I have problems with Bissaka.

Terrible lineup.

Lentwood

Interesting that when you look back at players like Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson that they only played like 20 games each for us - felt like much more at the time.

These 'worst XIs' are pretty meaningless generally, because most of the players selected rarely played.