Worst you've felt after a football match

Red_Aaron

The arsenal Fa Cup final

To dominate our biggest rivals to such an extent and yet still have to watch them dancing around with the trophy was sickening. Most undeserved cup win I've ever seen.

I wasn't sick last night, annoyed at the manager, annoyed at the missed opportunity but all things considered Italy deserved the win so it is what it is

predator

Youth NITK
Tonight was the worst for me to be honest because I probably won't ever see England win a tournament in my life now.

Rome and Wembley against barca was horrible because we got pulled apart but those barca teams were that good you just had to accept it. Also we won the 08 final and were in pretty decent shape in the leagues etc.

Nothing hurt me more than when fergie announced his retirement though.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The Aguero one for me, probably. This felt high up there though.

Each to their own but I personally don’t quite understand the 09 and 11 CL mentions. Yes, it’s a CL final and we lost so for sure it feels like crap. But I always feel worse after games I really felt we could have won. Whereas those CL finals, we were simply outclassed.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
1. Doncaster Rovers 1 Leeds 0 - League 1 play off final. 91 points with a 15 point deduction meant play offs. Bottled it
2. Watford 3 Leeds 0 - 2006 Championship play off final. Absolutely shite.
3. Leeds 1 Wigan 2 - 2019. This was the game that screwed up promotion. Winning 1 - 0, they get a bloke sent off in the 14th minute, we have 36 shots and lose. Most. Frustrating. Game. Ever.

AFC NimbleThumb

It wasn’t ‘Post Match’ but I remember the complete emptiness I felt watching John Terry walk up to take that penalty.

He missed, we won but I was watching the game alone after a break up so was headed to a dark place had he scored.

Judas

Open to offers
Worst three without thinking too deeply; Aguero moment. Arsenal Fa Cup final because we battered them. AC Milan semi final in 2007 because I just thought it was never going to happen for us in the CL again after that, I was gutted to see us just taken apart.

slored1

Slovenia losing to England in 2010. USA knocked us out of the World Cup knockout in the last minute - would be our biggest achievement ever. Felt sad for a long time.

OverratedOpinion

Fully agree with those saying Barcelona 2009.

In 90 minutes I went from thinking that we were by a mile the best side in Europe to questioning how we could possibly ever beat them. The final in 2011 was not as bad as I put them as quite strongly favourites already.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Switching over to QPR vs City when, at that point, we were winning the league, only to see QPR gift City the win in the space of what felt like seconds is number one. Such a sudden change of emotions.

Parma Dewol

The Nani red card against Real Madrid always stands out for me. Really thought we had it that year, and felt we were controlling the game up until that point. Lost our heads completely, and ultimately lost Sir Alex at the end of the season. Would have loved to have seen him go out with another Champions League.

Ugh, brings back horrible memories even today.

AaronRedDevil

The Nani red card against Real Madrid always stands out for me. Really thought we had it that year, and felt we were controlling the game up until that point. Lost our heads completely, and ultimately lost Sir Alex at the end of the season. Would have loved to have seen him go out with another Champions League.

Still makes me angry. Even worse when Pepe did the exact same thing in the next round and he only got a yellow..

mu4c_20le

Do you think we could've beaten Bayern that year?

I'm probably the only one in the world to think this, but Ronaldo hat trick was worse, made me sick that night while everyone else was on their feet celebrating. Ruud finished top scorer that year despite us going out in the quarters, he deserved better. Also thought we would've twatted the italians.

Oldyella

Euro 96 vs Germany. Had spent the previous 2 weeks enjoying some amazing games while on the lads holiday in Ibiza. Came home that morning and we decided to keep going. Safe to say the magic had been lost. Been a ton of worse results since as I'm not normally bothered about England but that one always sticks in my mind.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
CL Final 2011 at Wembley. We won the PL quite comfortably and our route to final was a breeze. I knew, we were up against it versus Barcelona, but the gulf was so big, it was a really humbling experience.

Rome hurt too, but we had our moments in that match. Early on Park had a massive chance, Ronaldo also hit the post. They capitalized on the break with Vidic slip and VDS wrong-footed. From there on, they controlled the game. We didn't do too bad once Scholes came on, enjoyed 52% possession in 2nd half (49% overall in the match) but just didn't get the right break. 2 years later was vastly different, we basically didn't fashion any chances. Had only 33% possession and Barcelona basically had their way with us.

Honorable mentions to:

FA Cup Final 2005: feck Arsenal and feck Vieira, that's it.

CL QF 09/10: This match cemented Carrick as a giant pussy in my eyes. Was never able to impose himself in big matches. We threw away a 3-0 lead, and a chance at making another CL Final. We had Lyon waiting for us in the SF.

I see plenty of these takes for that particular year and it doesn't make sense to me. Our team that year wasn't really special. Bayern were invincible that year, no one was beating them.

Parma Dewol

Do you think we could've beaten Bayern that year?
I see plenty of these takes for that particular year and it doesn't make sense to me. Our team that year wasn't really special. Bayern were invincible that year, no one was beating them.
You're both probably right, Bayern were good that year, but of course I'd loved to have given them a go. After all, we don't have to be the better side in a final against Bayern to come away with the trophy. :devil:

Part of it was the decision itself. Still can't believe he gave a red card. I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid had he given Nani a yellow. But a straight red... agh, so annoying!

Would have loved to have seen RvP play that final. If I remember right, I think Sir Alex didn't even do the post-match interview. He delegated Phelan, who said the manager was too distraught to speak. I do think Ferguson thought he could go out on top and, conjecturing somewhat, I wonder if the manner of that defeat had any bearing on his decision to retire that season.

Strelok

I'm struggling between:

1. The Aguero goal, we lost the title and having to watch those cnuts celebrating. Still can't stomach it till today.

2. The Sevilla match: the worst shit show I've had to witness, we looked so cowardly and hopelessly. Then the infamously stupid speech from Jose to help enlightening the next day. Still angry whenever I think about that today.

3. The Nani red card. I started to hate Madrid from that day.

I don't mind both the Barcelona CL finals. We lost because simply they're much better.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Home tie v Real Madrid in 12/13. That was such a tough one to swallow.

But that was more anger than anything. In terms of feeling absolutely gutted, the 08/09 CL and 04/05 FA Cup finals were pretty grim.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Mine has to be the Aguero moment.

Personally United always comes before the country.
It was my 30th birthday, the missus planned an absolutely epic meal at one of the best restaurants on Earth and I was fuming through the whole thing. Damn you Sergio.

That's presumably going to be a lot of ours.

Lelouch geass

Argentina loss vs Holland. Batistuta shot hit the crossbar and Ortega got red. I used to support Argentina those days. At club level many like Barca final, Auguero moment. 6 goals City scored vs us.

Last edited:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
It would have been the 2012 CL final had that match ever happened....

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
For Chelsea it would have probably been the 2011 defeat at Old Trafford in UCL, Moscow was hard but i could ration that with we will have more chances to get it, however after the 2011 loss it looked for all the world that it was the last chance for Drogba/Lampard etc to get that elusive medal gone.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Losing champions league finals to Barcelona. The first one more than the second one as we ahould have won the first one against them (Ronaldo's last game for utd i think).

Nothing more horrible than losing a CL final.
This game for me is my worst experience too. It was the cowardly approach to the game that still eats me up. Its also the game that broke me and now I'm actually not bothered in how a game of football pans out. Just watch it now for the tactical battle.

Acole9

Outstanding
Losing the league to City in 2012 or the two Champions League final loses.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Aguero, QPR deserves to rot and burn for what they did that day.

I hope one day United can return the favor somehow. :mad:

Paul_Scholes18

Aguero moment. I was so depressed for weeks. I was really damaged I think. When Persie scored that freekick against them though next season that was epic.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
All the big European losses hurt. England never hurt as much until we started getting close in recent years. Today was one of the few times football has broke me to tears of sadness. Growing up, United won so much. I'll never take any silverware for granted again.

Bokito

The 1998 semi final: Netherlands vs Brazil. We should’ve gotten a penalty kick after Van Hooijdonk was fouled in stoppage time… Instead we lost the penalty shootout. 1998 was when we could’ve become world champions, not 1990, 2010 or 2014…

Euro 96. Easy. We were so good and came so close.

Rome 2009. Felt like we were going to beat them and then Eto'o scored.

Very oddly, i still remember the 2-2 against Rotor Volgograd where Schmeichel scored as a huge disappointment.

Chairman Steve

2005 FA Cup Final was the worst I felt. Feck that match. Even non-football people made mention of how we got robbed in that match.

I remember being half cut and out drinking with friends when the Aguero QPR moment happened (wasn’t even watching any form of football), and I‘ve vowed never to see it in full, even though the following season we won the league by Xmas and City got humiliated by Wigan in the cup final.