Worst you've felt after a football match

SATA

Also the FA Cup against Arsenal in 2005? We absolutely battered them for ninety minutes but somehow just could not score and we lost it on pens. Absolute travesty :mad:

SATA

Nah the one when we threw it away against Bayern under Fergie. 2 late goals at their ground then lost a 3-0 lead at ours. Robben scored a volley. IIRC we had a criminal sending off in that game too
Rafael on Ribery for the red card. Gibson, Nani and Wayne scored and gave us a 3-0 lead at OT only to lost it to a brilliant Robben goal

noodlehair

"It's like..."
When we beat Newcastle 4-3 but I had nuru virus so threw up 5 times between the end of the game and very slowly making my way back to bed to continue dying.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rafael on Ribery for the red card. Gibson, Nani and Wayne scored and gave us a 3-0 lead at OT only to lost it to a brilliant Robben goal
Rafa got fecked over by refs a few times. Remember Clattenberg having a mare giving Leicester a pen for Vardy shoving into him.

FatTails

I’m sure I’m not remembering some glaring ones, but the two that come to mind right away is the “Agueroooo” PL title and the home game vs Madrid in the UCL under SAF.

Hester_manc

The worst I have felt after a football match was when City won the PL in the last minute instead of us. That hurt.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Aguero goal was painful. We stormed the league the following season though which made up for it.

El-Manos

Aguero moment.
That Nani red card against Madrid, we should have beaten them.
Belgium vs France at the World Cup.

Eternitiy

Aguero goal was painful. We stormed the league the following season though which made up for it.
I truly believe that if that goal hadn't been scored and we'd have won the title, Ferguson would have retired that year and we would have secured Pep Guardiola. Sergio Agüero changed the course of history dramatically that day.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I truly believe that if that goal hadn't been scored and we'd have won the title, Ferguson would have retired that year and we would have secured Pep Guardiola. Sergio Agüero changed the course of history dramatically that day.
I still think he would've done another year. We went out in the group stages of Europe that year. He wanted another crack at it.

Robertd0803

Aguero.
Barca 2009.
EL final this year.
Both Chelsea games in 2009/2010.
Fa Cup Final 2005.
Portsmouth 06/07 (the Rio own goal).
Porto CL 2003/2004.
West Ham final day 94/95.
Bayern 2009/2010.

Jesus coming in to this thread was a bad idea for my mental well being :(

ROFLUTION

Bayern as Nani's sending off was great injustice and our team was great. Somehow injustice hits me more, as it's only fair if we don't win by normal means.

If we're not good enough, then we simply don't deserve it and then I feel less dissappointed, i.e. Barca x 2.

Somehow I hadn't counted the Aguerooo one as much as it'd mostly be a huge uproar if we'd won it. But was pissed.

manutddjw

Rome 2009. I thought with Alves and Abidal both suspended Ronaldo would have a field day attacking either flank. When you support this club you always expect a goal from us, but we couldn't get near the ball. First time ever feeling feeling like we had no chance in a match. Aguero wasn't as bad because I figured we'd just win the league next season. Rome hurt more because it was the Champions League and we really should've had a few more with Sir Alex. 2011 didn't hurt as much because I knew we didn't belong on the same pitch as Barcelona at the time (very few clubs did).

Shark

@NotShark
Aguero wasn't as bad because I figured we'd just win the league next season. Rome hurt more because it was the Champions League and we really should've had a few more with Sir Alex. 2011 didn't hurt as much because I knew we didn't belong on the same pitch as Barcelona at the time (very few clubs did).
Considering this it's still a bit baffling to me that SAF tried to play them, rather than hit them on the counter Jose style.

0161_UNITED

'97 United - Dortmund - This match always has a strange place in my mind, as it's both one of my favourite matches of all time, and I probably felt the worst after. United were majestic and we peppered their goal for 90 minutes, it was Cantona's last season, and after the match I went on an epic rant that we'll never f*cking win in Europe, we're just f*cking cursed. Pally missing that goal! Cantona missing those goals! It was like a magnet kept the ball out of the net. Cue 2 years later when I lost my voice in '99, when all seemed lost. I've never been able to mentally separate now I felt from that match from '97 to the final in '99. They are intrinsically linked.

'90 England - Germany - Enough has been said about this, but I remember crawling into bed and staying there. For days. We knew we were cursed.

'92/93 United - Crystal Palace - Dion Dublin's leg break. People don't remember this before we knew Cantona was coming, I think Dion Dublin was our record signing, and so promising. We had no idea what was coming after then. It seemed like the end of the world. We knew we were cursed.

'16 England - Iceland. It's rare I completely lose my temper and composure, but I remember throwing a plastic cup full of beer in anger into a trash can, I think I was in Slovakia or Slovenia. I think I am still more upset with myself and my reaction, than the match itself. It was a quiet beer pub and I was the only foreigner, much less an England supporter, and all eyes were on me the entire match - the staff also only served me in plastic cups, all the locals got glass pints - fair play, I suppose. I was cool and calm until the final whistle, everyone started laughing and snickering, and I just exploded with anger. I suppose we all have to play to the pantomime stereotypes at times and perform for the audience. We were shit though. Embarrassing. F*cking losing to Iceland.

'11 United - City - I'd taken the missus to the Caribbean and ended up in a beach bar with Sky.

Me: "Oh! Look, they've got the match here. Go and do a bit of shopping, dear, I'm just going to nip in and watch the match, I'll be here."
Her: "Alright, but I want to have a nice dinner tonight and I don't want you completely pissed."
Me: "No problem..."

Famous f*cking last words. Cue her return, and I have multiple semi-collectable empty jumbo plastic test tubes hung around my neck from drinking some blue-green frozen concoctions and after an impassioned afternoon of explaining the intricacies of the local derby to all within earshot, I am standing on the legs of my barstool leading a chorus of a bar consisting of random Texan and Canadian tourists, as well as the local bar staff, in an endearing and, frankly, tear inducing version of "Build a bonfire". It did feel like the torch had been passed to the noisy f*cking god d*mned bitters from Stockport. Little did I know what the next decade would hold in store for us. I should have stayed in paradise.

Her: "I see you've made friends." [To be fair, we did make some friends that day, but I was wrecked for dinner.]

C'est la vie.

Honourable mentions that could hopefully start to heal this f*cking place, and possibly this world.

2010 - Ireland - France. Believe it or not, even as an England supporter, I also have Irish mates as well. I was living in Austin, Texas for work at the time, and got to know quite a few of the Irish fans who support United. That was an outrageous robbery, and I've never felt worse for supporters of a team that I didn't actively support. They were absolutely gutted. It reminded me of Maradona in '86. I bought those lads a round of drinks and quietly slipped out the back of the pub. No words were necessary, we implicitly understood each other.

2016 - Hungary - Belgium. I was living in Hungary for work, and the Hungarian missus was all up for it.

Her: "We're going to win tonight, I can't wait.... I finally understand why you like football. We have never been this good my entire life, only my dad remembers when we were good."
Me: "It's football, and anything's possible, but remember ... Belgium's a good team. I've seen the best England and United teams I've ever seen lose, so be careful."

We all know what happened after. Football, bloody hell. It really does bring us together much more than it tears us apart. Love, and Giggs, will tear us apart. Again.

Last edited:

redMundo

Definitely the 2009 CL final.
We’d been the best team in the world for a couple of years and never expected any team to be able to dominate us like that. Although Barca were a growing team and had potential, first 10 minutes looked good and then they took control. Was also the first time I’d ever seen us lose a European final.

Second would be losing to Portugal at the 2006 World Cup.
Was the first time I’d actually believed we had a chance before the tournament with some world class players. All the drama of Rooney coming to the rescue after being injured and then getting sent off, Ronnie winking, down to ten men and then of course losing on Penalties AGAIN to Portugal for the second tournament in a row.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Barcelona 2009. 2011 we had no chance, but 2009 could have went any way.

Barca 4 - 0 United.
Camp Nou, 1994.

Huge test for United, could we start to transfer our new domestic dominance to the European big time? No, we got battered, albeit by Cruyff's 'Dream Team'. It was sickening and sad that's the image the world got of our team, when it was a much weakened team due to suspensions and the 3 foreign player rule.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Losing to Croatia in the World Cup semi in 2018. I was supposed to stay in Moscow for another week but I cancelled my flights and booked new ones leaving the next day on the way back from the stadium. This involved a change over in Cologne for 12 hours from 9pm to 9am where I just walked the streets of this unknown city at night with my suitcase like a zombie not knowing what the feck to do.

Josh 76

2009 CL final
1-4 loss to scousers at OT in 2009
1-0 loss to Westham at Upton Park 1991
2005 CL final…. Still don’t know how Milan fecked that up

alsabi

Sunday was the worst I've felt after an *England* game because it seemed as though we lost it twice, first by not holding on to the lead/momentum from the first half and then again during the shootout. And we know finals don't come around for England very often.

In terms of United it's probably the 4-4 with Everton in 2012 - not on a par with that but I also remember being really annoyed about the 5-5 vs West Brom in Fergie's last game and that we didn't send him off with a win (albeit in an otherwise meaningless match).

Moriarty

Worst feeling after an England game would have to be the loss to West Germany in Mexico in 1970. Threw that game away. Poland at Wembley in 1973 was a downer too but not unexpected as England were on the slide at that time.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Bayern 2010. Looking back it feels even worse because that Van Gaal's Bayern wasn't that good/solid, and it was the only window to win a UCL during the era of "peak Messi". Of course, we could have lost the final against Mou's Inter (nearly flawless team).

madzo2007

Its the 2005 FA Cup final for me. We absolutely tore Arsenal apart and still lost on penalties. I was gutted after that.

A few other games spring to mind such as getting tanked by Middlesbrough 4-1 in 05/06 and going out of the CL to Benfica in 2005, I was thinking it was going to be long way back to get back to being contenders in Europe again.

luke511

Nani sending off vs Madrid got me the angriest, didn't help that I was living with three scousers at the time :lol:

GuyfromAustria

That Nani one was such an outrageously bad decision it's still amazing now.
Made even worse by going back to watching lower league football and seeing such incidents only given as fouls, not even a yellow the weeks after.

Made even worse by seeing Fergie absolutely losing his beans, when he knew it was his last season in the job, and cruelly denied the chance of a Scottish venue final.
Wembley is Scottish? :D

mancsarered

As random as it sounds, probably losing in the EL to Midtjylland in 15/16 in front of about 10,000 spectators in Denmark. It just felt like the club I supported throughout the Fergie years was no longer the same.

Of course the legend of Marcus Rashford was born in the 2nd leg.

Red Daz

Also the FA Cup against Arsenal in 2005? We absolutely battered them for ninety minutes but somehow just could not score and we lost it on pens. Absolute travesty :mad:
This, and a similar story against Dortmund CL semi in 97’ , we absolutely battered them, still don’t know how we didn’t get to the final, I’ve never been so gutted

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Motherwell
Raith
Hibs 0-0
Cadete ibrox ( cheatin bas linesman)
Any game involving Goram

Pickle85

Probably that Madrid game in the CL where we were knocked out and Nani was sent off. It all seemed so unfair. One of the few times I've given in to the 'they're all against us' tinfoil hat outlook.