Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

AlexUTD

Even if Chelsea are spending lots after a transfer ban, the fact that they're still getting the deals done in an expedient manner is impressive. If United was spending after a two window transfer ban it doesn't automatically follow that we'd have anywhere near the same efficiency as Chelsea have done thus far.
Exactly mate! United`s transfer dealings are so slow i want to bang my head in the wall every transfer window.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Remember last year when Ole wanted all business done before the lads came back for pre-season?

That was cool.

eire-red

Agree with a lot of the sentiment on here, we've had months to prepare and work on deals in the wake of coronavirus, so ideally you'd like to see us get our deals early. You also have that fear that we're going to have another disappointing summer after such a promising end to the season. It felt like we had momentum as a club again, but not strengthening the squad would be a real kick in the teeth.

On the other hand, I have to say our transfer strategy as of late does seem to be a bit more meticulous and considerate of the ethos of the club. If it takes a couple more weeks, but we end up getting our top targets and not moving down the list for the sake of bringing numbers in, then surely in the long run that's preferable.

Of course, a lot of ifs and buts, but I think we have every right to be angry if two weeks before the season begins and it looks like the panic buttons are being hit once more. But for the moment, I'm pretty relaxed about it.

A lot of comparisons to Chelsea and their business, Ziyech was confirmed months ago, and Werner had a release clause. Thiago Silva looks a done deal, but not exactly a game changer at 34. Can't really compare those deals to one of the magnitude of Sancho. Look at the Havertz deal, that has dragged on now for what feels like months.

Deals of this magnitude take time, but I agree that if we don't strengthen the squad after our finish to the season, then it opens Woodward and the Glazers for both barrels. A lot of talk about the Bruno money coming from this budget, without him, we miss out on CL so in essence we've already recouped our investment. Now is the time to go again and close that gap.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
If it was that simple it would already be done. Maybe we don't have the money some of our fans think we do.

And for the love of god can people stop going on about Chelsea. They are making up for a transfer ban this summer. Stop thinking we can compete with them in this window because we can't. Nobody else can either.
It really is that simple, I'm using Chelsea as the example as they are going out and spending obscene amounts of money this window.

To put it into context and describe how simple it is, think of the amount of money the Glazers have taken from the club each season, which if I'm not mistaken is from cash reserves. We are at a point where we need to build and capitalise on last seasons form and improve.

Godfather

If it was that simple it would already be done. Maybe we don't have the money some of our fans think we do.

And for the love of god can people stop going on about Chelsea. They are making up for a transfer ban this summer. Stop thinking we can compete with them in this window because we can't. Nobody else can either.
Difference is, Chelsea almost beat us to 3rd place and are now doing very well in the market. Arse also spent money. If we do feck all we will again struggle to get top 4 which can't be our ambition season in season out. We should progress not regress. It feels the same as it was With mourinhos second season when he was hung dry.

MrSingh2002

We just about finished above Chelsea and now they've got around 7 new players. How are we going to retain 3rd or improve on it?!

Even if Woodward was to get the number 1 target in Sancho it means feck all unless we get the CB and LB we need too.

Reiver

It feels like it's in the balance. I think we all hoped that the momentum of securing a Champions League spot would be quickly followed by the signing of Sancho. Unfortunately this was unrealistic but we couldn't help hoping.
You can only know if a transfer window is successful with hindsight when you've had plenty of time to see how the signings have done. Of course, that assumes we make some signings.
I got the feeling that there was a level of self congratulation at the club after the acquisitions last summer. Maybe this was justified. But it takes more than one good window to say you've got a good transfer committee with a good policy on signings.
Overall, I'm still hopeful the club are going to back Ole and make some good signings.

croadyman

I have to say overreacting, in the rare case that we have some crazy end to the window and buy all our top choices and strengthen in the areas we need to plus adding to squad depth. Although who am I kidding here, Bruno was a drag, Maguire was a drag. Sancho will end up being a drag, we may get him or not. But I think that'd be it if we do.
We could get a cheap backup AM and maybe a CB if we didn't have deadwood on such ludicrous wages who we cannot shift at all

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Difference is, Chelsea almost beat us to 3rd place and are now doing very well in the market. Arse also spent money. If we do feck all we will again struggle to get top 4 which can't be our ambition season in season out. We should progress not regress. It feels the same as it was With mourinhos second season when he was hung dry.
Chelsea are going to spend 200m to still not be in the top 2. Will they finish ahead of us? They probably will yes. Is that enough though?

Godfather

Chelsea are going to spend 200m to still not be in the top 2. Will they finish ahead of us? They probably will yes. Is that enough though?
It's about showing fight and ambition. Give that young squad a few years and they might fight for the title again while we are still plugging squad holes left and right whilst fighting it out with Arse for the famous 4th place

Fooza

We just about finished above Chelsea and now they've got around 7 new players. How are we going to retain 3rd or improve on it?!

Even if Woodward was to get the number 1 target in Sancho it means feck all unless we get the CB and LB we need too.
We will have to hope for two things:

Our first 11 players turn it up a notch by at least 3 times as good as they playing at the moment, consistently.

Our first 11 players don't get injured at anytime, especially Bruno/Pogba and the front 3

I won't hold my breath

croadyman

Even if Chelsea are spending lots after a transfer ban, the fact that they're still getting the deals done in an expedient manner is impressive. If United was spending after a two window transfer ban it doesn't automatically follow that we'd have anywhere near the same efficiency as Chelsea have done thus far.
Yeah if we were in their situation Woody and Judge would just dither around until the end of window.

Marina truly shows up these two for the complete transfer frauds they have always been

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It's about showing fight and ambition. Give that young squad a few years and they might fight for the title again while we are still plugging squad holes left and right whilst fighting it out with Arse for the famous 4th place
We spent 200m last year so going off that logic we showed ambition and fight yet We finished with 66pts and nowhere near the top spot though in reality.

croadyman

Don't forget Matic replacement and backup AM for Bruno as well. I won't mention ST as Ighalo is still here until January.

Hoof the ball

We spent 200m last year so going off that logic we showed ambition and fight yet We finished with 66pts and nowhere near the top spot though in reality.
At the end, it's not the amount of money you spend, it's about the quality you purchase relative to the money spent. A lot of people on here waxed lyrical about Pereira at Leicester as an example of a great FB going forward who could do it at the back too. This season he was in the top three for over offensive production again. The choice to go for AWB over someone like Pereira explains United's issue. Recruitment is poor.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
At the end, it's not the amount of money you spend, it's about the quality you purchase relative to the money spent. A lot of people on here waxed lyrical about Pereira at Leicester as an example of a great FB going forward who could do it at the back too. This season he was in the top three for over offensive production again. The choice to go for AWB over someone like Pereira explains United's issue. Recruitment is poor.
I totally agree but that's a whole other argument. We still invested £200m and we didn't even get more Pts than the previous season.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that we don't get the right players. And nobody had been more critical of AWB than I have. I just don't rate him. He's a good tackler and not a lot else.

Okey

Another day gone. Soon to be another week. Slowly but surely I'm losing the will...

croadyman

Looks a certainty now it's a choice between Sancho and nothing or 3 squad players instead. I am finding it very hard to believe we are going to make anything at all from sales.

croadyman

Another day gone. Soon to be another week. Slowly but surely I'm losing the will...
Yeah while Chelsea notch up two Romano HWG in one day,god this is such a depressing time for the club

joedirt87

Pogba new contract to be announced in October, back healthy to start the season. Bruno from the start, Greenwood from the start after having a great end of the season. All 3 are LANS. tranfer business concluded.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I am getting pissed off, but also asking... who are Real Madrid buying? Who are Barca buying? Juventus?

Only Chelsea and City are really splashing the cash - clearly the sugar daddies aren't affected much by the global economy.

Fluctuation0161

Top clubs have historically struggled. Also how can you plan on the basis of the person you have just appointed will fail? It's like planning your next wife on your wedding day......only way you can succession plan is when you appoint from within.
Top clubs have not struggled as badly as we have, especially when you consider our financial advantage and previous positions. Champions league football has been a rarity since for us 2013!

For a start, you plan by having a style of play that you want to stick to, and a number of managers who could facilitate that broad vision. Think Brendan Rodgers transitioning to Klopp. Or even Pellegrini to Guardiola. Then, you look at the average time at a club for Premiership managers. What is it, 2 to 3 years max as an average. It is hardly choosing a wife on your wedding day with those stats. Don't be ridiculous.

It is evident from my previous post to you, how we lacked any semblance of forward planning by lurching between 2 managers with totally contrasting playing styles, investing heavily with each on and having to start the rebuild from scratch each time. Massive mistake from Woodward, sackable offence.

Last edited:

nainaisson

Pogba new contract to be announced in October, back healthy to start the season. Bruno from the start, Greenwood from the start after having a great end of the season. All 3 are LANS. tranfer business concluded.
A Harry Maguire hardened by Greek prison is like a new signing.

Fluctuation0161

United fans are among the most accommodating and patient people in the world. All they had to do is to be honest with fans and then go on and sign 3-4 low key players (like the likes of Gabriel, Regulon, VDB, Willian/Fraser etc) which would have strengthened the team without breaking the bank. Instead we went for Sancho.

If a man walks into a Ferrari store then you can't blame the people around him if they think that he's loaded and he is willing to spend big.
Fair points.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
United fans are among the most accommodating and patient people in the world. All they had to do is to be honest with fans and then go on and sign 3-4 low key players (like the likes of Gabriel, Regulon, VDB, Willian/Fraser etc) which would have strengthened the team without breaking the bank. Instead we went for Sancho.

If a man walks into a Ferrari store then you can't blame the people around him if they think that he's loaded and he is willing to spend big.
We're the guy who brags to everyone how we can afford a ferrari and talk it up for ages, walk in the store but then leave when we see the price as if we were surprised it was expensive.

croadyman

Ugh all that needs is Ole coming out with crap about Pogba being like a new signing

Cloud7

It is a bit annoying facing the prospect of the new season starting soon without getting any significant new players in. It feels like this team is on the cusp of something great, and just needs one or two more pieces. Considering how soon the season starts, it’s hard to imagine many clubs will be looking at selling their players when a chunk of the season will have already gone.

I would love to be proven wrong and we manage to get a couple people in before the season starts but right now I’m not feeling hopeful.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Ugh all that needs is Ole coming out with crap about Pogba being like a new signing
If he does he'll be entirely blameless. He's already made it clear that we need reinforcements and has left the ball in United's court. I have a bad feeling that he's not going to be backed this window and will be hung out to dry when the shit hits the fan next season.

RedDevil@84

If he does he'll be entirely blameless. He's already made it clear that we need reinforcements and has left the ball in United's court
Wouldn't stop the Ole out brigade from saying he is out of depth, when things will go south, and they will go south if we refuse to strengthen the team

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
5th October is an age away, but I do not envisage transfers in the next couple of weeks. You would hope that we would reinforce with at least one or two players before the restart.

Okey

Let's assume we truly had a £150m transfer kitty for this summer. What if we paid what Dortmund asked for within days of the season ending, concentrate on moving out players over the next couple of weeks, add whatever we get to what's left of the 150 and pick up a couple solid squad players for 60 - 70m. Anyone think that wouldn't represent a good window? Sancho (or a similar level) is the signing that signifies intent to progress. We really need such a signing this summer, even if we have to bite the bullet to do it. Another summer like that and we could actually be challenging.

MrSingh2002

Don't forget Matic replacement and backup AM for Bruno as well. I won't mention ST as Ighalo is still here until January.
You have the right idea for a full squad. I have zero belief in Ed Woodwards skills or motives after what he did to Jose ahead of his 3rd season. That was after finishing 2nd too.

Chairman Steve

I'll start to be concerned if nothings happened after two weeks from now. I'd like to think as soon as this Sancho business is sorted, the rest of it is more straightforward and won't be as protracted.

I'm hoping we can get three players altogether. We shouldn't go apeshit like Chelsea are doing who are only doing it because they have a serious case of transfer blueballs after getting banned, and good luck to them trying to get 5-6 new players integrated into their team at once and managing to get good results.

MrSingh2002

I'll start to be concerned if nothings happened after two weeks from now. I'd like to think as soon as this Sancho business is sorted, the rest of it is more straightforward and won't be as protracted.

I'm hoping we can get three players altogether. We shouldn't go apeshit like Chelsea are doing who are only doing it because they have a serious case of transfer blueballs after getting banned, and good luck to them trying to get 5-6 new players integrated into their team at once and managing to get good results.
Wouldn't you rather take your chances with signing 6 good players? Than worry about integrating signings... We need to be integrating signings....

cj_sparky

Knowing us we will most likely sign someone, just as their country gets added to the list of places where you need to quarantine and lose him for 14 days before he even steps foot at Carrington.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
In my mind we had since July 26th with 100% knowledge that we were in the CL, so total clarity of the finances.

No excuses other than no one at the top end of this club care about winning Leagues and CL. All they care about is top 4 CL money and fecking official pillows.

Last edited:

kirk buttercup

I'm still pretty calm . I reckon we will bring in 3 signings and I think one of them will be Sancho. Dont Panic!