Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

Jamie Shawcross

Its not even a surprise any more is it? For the last 8 years our board has been completely inept, so I am annoyed at myself for believing it might be different and we may have actually woken up and turned a corner. It is evident we have not. The most infuriating thing for me is how groundhog day our transfer windows have become. Granted we have signed some decent players in recent windows, but every single deal was handled terribly and we have absolutely zero tact in the market. We are a legitimate laughing stock and we deserve to be. Even if we do get Sancho on the last second of deadlines day (the board will have to concede defeat and just pay the bloody fee), this transfer window will have still been a complete shambles. We have months to plan for this, months of time to focus on our next moves in the market, we should have had them sealed when the window opened. Would it be too much to ask just for once, for United to be going into a season looking prepared. I absolutely love united but I despise our board and the ineptitude running our beloved club at the moment. I despise it.

roonaldo78

We often left things till the last day of the transfer window under Fergie, Berbatov signing springs to mind, we didn't always get what we wanted as the Ronaldinho cock up proved late in one window. We've spent 200 million in 1 year on Maguire, James, De Beek, Wan-Bissaka and Mejbri.

I think 100 million Euros is a fair offer for Sancho during a pandemic. We took a gamble and it didn't pay off. I think 120 million euros for a player who looked lost at international level so far is a bit much.

Ousmane Dembele on loan would be a very good plan B. Ismaila Sarr could turn out to be just as good as Sancho. I guess on Monday we'll find out who we're getting.
A lot of us accept that 100 million Euros is excessive for any player during these uncertain times. The issue is why have we not activated plan B or C knowing full well that Dortmund are not going to reduce the asking price. Instead we are a couple of days before the window closes and with no plan in sight.

A lot of us accept that 100 million Euros is excessive for any player during these uncertain times. The issue is why have we not activated plan B or C knowing full well that Dortmund are not going to reduce the asking price. Instead we are a couple of days before the window closes and with no plan in sight.
No plans in the public domain.

Did you see DVDB coming? We all have such a limited insight into what is actually going on.

Champagne Football

Yeah but do you just blow 80 million on another Nicolas Pepe just to keep the fans happy? Sometimes the Plan B and C is not worth the price being demanded. You run the risk then of not only signing a flop but wasting the opportunity to keep that money and use it in January for when the next Haaland or Sancho emerges.

Rooney1987

No plans in the public domain.

Did you see DVDB coming? We all have such a limited insight into what is actually going on.
Insight? Think your giving Ed and his team too much credit. Only real transfer we’ve signed/loaned without any media circus was Ighalo. Even Dan James had media rumours too wasn’t exactly quick to finish a deal either, took a few months. Over last 7 years Ed runs to media to play these games and they follow same path. They won’t have a list of players or secret deal lined up at, I’d love to be wrong. DVDB might have signed without a circus but didn’t exactly come out of nowhere, we had been linked to him before.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It feels like we've been the ultimate losers from the covid situation, as though we have no money. Kind of puts to bed the notion of Woodward being good at the business side of things. Basically feels like we've been living on credit, leveraging purchases on future incoming etc. Now we've lost a lot of them our low cash reserves and debt have come to bite us in the backside.

If February comes and they take those dividends then it's time to turn things up on these leeches. They shouldn't feel safe at OT.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
We will make the Biden Trump debate look civil, well mannered and uplifting.
At least none of us will be wearing wires to that debate. Anyway wonder what the calm brigade would say to us muppets when we end up with no more transfers. I remember a few weeks back they told that panicking is high drama.

Shiva87

One of the weirdest feelings as a football fan is to know that your club is not ambitious! The lack of transfers this time, with the levels of activity even at Spurs (forget Chelsea), is putting sharp focus on what we want as a club.

We may still end up above a number of these teams in the league - if the current squad really performs well through the season. But, I don't know if that's good or bad for us in the long term. We won't win anything major without reinforcements, and we won't get reinforcements as long as we are finishing top 4. It's a vicious circle.

maximus419

It feels like we've been the ultimate losers from the covid situation, as though we have no money. Kind of puts to bed the notion of Woodward being good at the business side of things. Basically feels like we've been living on credit, leveraging purchases on future incoming etc. Now we've lost a lot of them our low cash reserves and debt have come to bite us in the backside.
This is my take on the situation as well.
For the last few seasons the deals Utd have done have been largely about housekeeping, getting the wages off the books and loaning out numerous players and trying to keep to a budget of around £70m net on transfer fees.

This summer has been no different, I wouldn't be surprised if the net spend turns out to be less than £40m due to covid situation. I guess though, being prudent at this time might just turn out to be the right decision. I mean how many clubs can afford to have a period of 15 months without any gate receipts and still spend the same on wages/transfers?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I think gate receipts are a very small fraction of TV and Online broadcast money. There's close to 4 billion being paid by BT, AMAZON, Sky and foreign broadcasters to the PL. Also the UK TV rights alone were sold for close to 6 billion in 2018. I am sure PL will negotiate a much bigger deal now in 2021. Also merchandise sales have not been hit that badly.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
One of the weirdest feelings as a football fan is to know that your club is not ambitious! The lack of transfers this time, with the levels of activity even at Spurs (forget Chelsea), is putting sharp focus on what we want as a club.

We may still end up above a number of these teams in the league - if the current squad really performs well through the season. But, I don't know if that's good or bad for us in the long term. We won't win anything major without reinforcements, and we won't get reinforcements as long as we are finishing top 4. It's a vicious circle.
You know what will probably happen though, right? We'll probably get backed in to a corner and sign someone out of desperation, probably paying more than we should, and they'll be like "see, we are spending". No plan, no ambition, no trust in the manager. Feckin idiocy. Embarrassing.

ti vu

I think gate receipts are a very small fraction of TV and Online broadcast money. There's close to 4 billion being paid by BT, AMAZON, Sky and foreign broadcasters to the PL. Also the UK TV rights alone were sold for close to 6 billion in 2018. I am sure PL will negotiate a much bigger deal now in 2021. Also merchandise sales have not been hit that badly.
The atmosphere is not the same. Attending games experience can't be replaced by streaming, TV broadcasting. If it gets too expensive, then since you're stuck at home not seeing anyone, you can avoid spoiler of the result and just borrow a recording of the game and watch them game at later time. You lose nothing. Thing with attending game is you have harder time to avoid spoiler since you interact with people around when you're out.

Next thing is right now many high demanding games from different leagues got overlapped. Normally they were able to spread the coverage keeping the attraction. It's getting to the point too much and too boring following from the screen. It's used compelling to check out many other games from different leagues in that live football sleep football spirit. Now it feel like watching game the team you like is enough, and you rather just check highlight on YouTube of other teams = less subscriptions.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There always seem to be an excuse for this club to not spend money. We're becoming excuses FC

RedBanker

I love you Ole
The atmosphere is not the same. Attending games experience can't be replaced by streaming, TV broadcasting. If it gets too expensive, then since you're stuck at home not seeing anyone, you can avoid spoiler of the result and just borrow a recording of the game and watch them game at later time. You lose nothing. Thing with attending game is you have harder time to avoid spoiler since you interact with people around when you're out.

Next thing is right now many high demanding games from different leagues got overlapped. Normally they were able to spread the coverage keeping the attraction. It's getting to the point too much and too boring following from the screen. It's used compelling to check out many other games from different leagues in that live football sleep football spirit. Now it feel like watching game the team you like is enough, and you rather just check highlight on YouTube of other teams = less subscriptions.
That's more from the fans/public perspective. The money men have worked out alternatives. All over the global sporting events will carry on. Anyway society was distanced even before the virus. Perhaps the end of fans at stadia is just another chapter in that book.

red_de_pologne

Such a shame.. finally back in with the big boys in the CL and we are outspent by just about everyone including Leeds, Aston Villa, Wolves, Tottenham, absolute madness. The second half of the season will get really ugly.

ti vu

That's more from the fans/public perspective. The money men have worked out alternatives. All over the global sporting events will carry on. Anyway society was distanced even before the virus. Perhaps the end of fans at stadia is just another chapter in that book.
Society distanced is different than match going experience. Sport is escape spot for people to connect. Even if it's not going to stadium, going to pub, fan club is way to connect, socialize for like minded.

They're trying to allow limited amount of attendance here and there. It's not like they can change the game where sport is just part of TV broadcasting, streaming of a bigger entertainment industry. There is fierce competition. No one want to lose their pieces.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
For those keeping score, now West Ham have signed some random RB, we're now the club in the Premier League that has brought in the least amount of new players.

laughtersassassin

Debt and the Glazers is and was the road to ruin.

Club is never going anywhere under their ownership.

Maybe if they binned their pet Ed their would be a bit of hope but he will be here as long as the Glazers are.

Once again it's time for revolt. A lot of other clubs fans wouldn't sit silently while this happens.

Wish United fans would do more to vocalise the issues. It can't do any harm.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Debt and the Glazers is and was the road to ruin.

Club is never going anywhere under their ownership.

Maybe if they binned their pet Ed their would be a bit of hope but he will be here as long as the Glazers are.

Once again it's time for revolt. A lot of other clubs fans wouldn't sit silently while this happens.

Wish United fans would do more to vocalise the issues. It can't do any harm.
As a ST holder, I feel like this would have been the season that supporters started to make a stand with the way its going and the predictable poor season that will follow. Covid has saved them.

Shiva87

You know what will probably happen though, right? We'll probably get backed in to a corner and sign someone out of desperation, probably paying more than we should, and they'll be like "see, we are spending". No plan, no ambition, no trust in the manager. Feckin idiocy. Embarrassing.
Couldn't agree more.

laughtersassassin

Liverpool just sold Brewster for 23mil + 15% sell on and a buyback clause. That's two players who haven't played in the Prem they have sold this season for near a combined 40 million.

What a fantastically run club. Remember they sold Ibe for 18 million and Solanke for the same.

All fairly useless players I might add.

The issue with this club is the fact it is not interested in changing. If the Glazers or Ed Woodward cared one bit the correct people could have been hired to run the football side of the club. It could easily result in less net spend and better results. But no they care so little they'd rather not put the effort in and do nothing.

Disgraceful. Just one example of why we are going nowhere long term. A Liverpoolesque drought is a guarantee. Wouldn't be surprised if ours is worse. We certainly have worse owners.

El Zoido

As a ST holder, I feel like this would have been the season that supporters started to make a stand with the way its going and the predictable poor season that will follow. Covid has saved them.
Can any amount of protest get rid of them? I just don’t see it, they’re disconnected from the club on an emotional level and probably don’t give a feck what the fans do. It just seems as if our only choice is to wait however long it takes for them to sell up, and hope whoever they sell to knows how to run a football club.

laughtersassassin

Can any amount of protest get rid of them? I just don’t see it, they’re disconnected from the club on an emotional level and probably don’t give a feck what the fans do. It just seems as if our only choice is to wait however long it takes for them to sell up, and hope whoever they sell to knows how to run a football club.
Bad attitude to take tbh. Sitting in silence is pointless. At the very least protests for a long period not time should be able to oust We Woodward or at least get some stuff changed.

The defeatist attitude by so many fans ensures nothing will ever change.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I have ignored this thread up to now because I thought surely they will make a few signings but now it’s clear that they have no intention of doing so and never had.

We are never winning anything with these owners. I can see us falling to the petrodollar, it’s really just a matter of time and when that happens I’m done.

Anyone got any good news?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I have ignored this thread up to now because I thought surely they will make a few signings but now it’s clear that they have no intention of doing so and never had.

We are never winning anything with these owners. I can see us falling to the petrodollar, it’s really just a matter of time and when that happens I’m done.

Anyone got any good news?
Better don't look at today's press conf

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
When does the window close?
Is it monday?

Considering how long it takes from United considering a move to it actually happens, any deals now won't be done before january.