Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

Thisistheone

Quite depressing when you think back to the joy of clinching that CL place on the final day and the positivity & feeling of 'right then lets push forward and close the gap'

That was July. Imagine that day someone telling you it would be October and we'd only bought Van de Beek.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hes being hung out to dry. Not getting backed whatsoever. This club is fecking pathetic.
When they brag about us being the biggest richest club, maybe people will start taking it with a pinch of salt. We certainly aren't the best run. It is now up to Ole to keep his job, all the pressure is on him. I feel really sorry for him.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The owners don't care. Managers are expendable. If it goes wrong it is the managers fault.
Hes being hung out to dry. Not getting backed whatsoever. This club is fecking pathetic.
And it’s about time he learned of self preservation. They’ll sack him regardless of what he says. He’s not Sir Alex and it’s not going to magically happen for him every season. We’re going to get bummed this season and the knives will be out. When the axe swings, it’ll be for Ole’s head not for those cnuts’ unfortunately.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Does Ole look and sound like a coach who knows players will arrive over the next few days..?

Raw

I remember about 4 weeks ago thinking yeahhhh we got plenty of time, no worries. Just signed VDB, all good, let's keep the momentum rolling and move onto more signings.

4 weeks later, absolutely feck all happened. Not even any outright departures. Mind boggling how inept we are.

hungrywing

Can any amount of protest get rid of them? I just don’t see it, they’re disconnected from the club on an emotional level and probably don’t give a feck what the fans do. It just seems as if our only choice is to wait however long it takes for them to sell up, and hope whoever they sell to knows how to run a football club.
Based on pre-CoVid19 financials, about two years of a widespread, coordinated protest should be enough to put them under immense pressure to sell and also give any potential buyers a large amount of financial/social leverage.

ti vu

Why does this sound familiar to Mourinho's "I gave a list to the club"?

Raw

As a ST holder, I feel like this would have been the season that supporters started to make a stand with the way its going and the predictable poor season that will follow. Covid has saved them.
I really really want the protests to be out in full force once fans return. What better stage to do it than the first game back for the fans?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
To be honest, I can’t see how we won’t get him. We’ve bid £91m so the money is there for us to spend. We’re close to selling a couple players so the £108m they want isn’t out of reach. It just wouldn’t make sense for us to drop out at this stage.

Raw

To be honest, I can’t see how we won’t get him. We’ve bid £91m so the money is there for us to spend. We’re close to selling a couple players so the £108m they want isn’t out of reach. It just wouldn’t make sense for us to drop out at this stage.
Will Dortmund even be willing to sell so late though? I'd hope they have a few options lined up and ready to go if the bid does go in, but it does seem incredibly incompetent to leave it so late. If they need to sell a couple more players, why not do it a couple weeks ago?

Unless Sancho kicks up a fuss, Dortmund could just reject it.

Reynoldo

Thats my only clinging hope too, they have to factor in the damage done and backlash if they dont get it over the line and also gauge the negative impact on finances by any other glazer & woodward out campaigns etc when things do inevitably go pear shaped due to squad depth again this year.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Does Ole look and sound like a coach who knows players will arrive over the next few days..?
Yeah, we’re definitely not close to signing anyone. The owners are rodents.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Sancho is the magnet of all the attention. Arguments could be made that BVD are demanding too much in the current climate but what is REALLY irking me is the Telles saga. Presumably we identified as LB as a target early on so why are we still quibbling now with 4 days to go. Yes, I know they want more money than we have offered but the negotiation dance could have have taken place a few months earlier as that would at least accelerate the final outcome.

Paxi

Oh dear in what sense? What else can he say? If he criticizes them he'll get sacked.
That would probably be good, because he’s getting sacked anyway. Just when he’s getting sacked next year all the blame will be on him like it always is. People forget what the underlying issue is. If he got sacked now over that, there would be mass protests.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Will Dortmund even be willing to sell so late though? I'd hope they have a few options lined up and ready to go if the bid does go in, but it does seem incredibly incompetent to leave it so late. If they need to sell a couple more players, why not do it a couple weeks ago?

Unless Sancho kicks up a fuss, Dortmund could just reject it.
We are the Delboy of football clubs, will get the odd gem, but more often than not get taken for a ride and end up looking a bit stupid. Other clubs know it as well.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That would probably be good, because he’s getting sacked anyway. Just when he’s getting sacked next year all the blame will be on him like it always is. People forget what the underlying issue is. If he got sacked now over that, there would be mass protests.
I won't blame him one bit. The club is a disgrace. Part of me would like him to walk out of the job just so the heat turns up on the muppets in charge. Won't happen but I can dream.

croadyman

I won't blame him one bit. The club is a disgrace. Part of me would like him to walk out of the job just so the heat turns up on the muppets in charge. Won't happen but I can dream.
Yeah was thinking that too but we both know it won't be happening in a million years

Paxi

I don’t want him to go all Jose and spit the dummy out but sometimes just being silent on the matter can say a lot. People can draw their own conclusions. I won’t blame him either but what feels like a bit of kick in the face is that he’s getting primed for the chopping block yet he still chooses to defend them. Some might call it admirable but I think he should just stay quiet and get Gary and Roy on the case to turn the heat up in the media.

Rolaholic

Guess that's that...

Embarassing from the club setting him up to fail like this after he accomplished last seasons aim and deserved backing

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Oh dear in what sense? What else can he say? If he criticizes them he'll get sacked.
If he got sacked for making negative comments about the owners then I think media, ex players and more importantly fans would erupt - I would love to see them recovering from it.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
You might have a point there.
Goodness knows what the fallout would be for the board to do absolutely nothing in the final few days.
They have invested months on getting this deal done, the player and agent are good to go, and the funds must surely be available, you'd think.

Alternatives are falling by the wayside, and we are only realistically dealing with Dembele and Telles at the moment as far as we know.
The board might have painted themselves into a corner, and have no other option than to cave in to Dortmund, unless they panic buy another Fellaini, ie Josh King.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If he got sacked for making negative comments about the owners then I think media, ex players and more importantly fans would erupt - I would love to see them recovering from it.
He earns £8m a year. Would you upset your boss on that money? Nobody in the right mind would. Only Jose is ballsy enough to do that

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He earns £8m a year. Would you upset your boss on that money? Nobody in the right mind would. Only Jose is ballsy enough to do that
You can show your frustrations without being sacked

Rolaholic

Embarassing really and Ole's going to be the one made to take the fall when we evidently have a poor campaign

Brophs

The One and Only
There'll be transfers. I'm just guessing they won't be players Ole actually wants, rather deals that the club can get done relatively easily.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You can show your frustrations without being sacked
He's trying to keep the players we do have motivated. That's where Jose went wrong. He was understandably upset with the owners but then he threw players under the bus. That's not the right way to go either.

Nobody should turn on Ole. Get on Woodward and the parasites. We need to end this madness now and boycott the club.

humdinger

A lot of us accept that 100 million Euros is excessive for any player during these uncertain times. The issue is why have we not activated plan B or C knowing full well that Dortmund are not going to reduce the asking price. Instead we are a couple of days before the window closes and with no plan in sight.
This is what bothers me too. Not spending our entire budget on a player we think is overpriced is fine. But then not doing anything else is such bad planning. It’s not like Sancho is the only attacking player who would improve us.

romufc

240m in 18 months is being backed. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have added more though. Just wanted to dispel that myth
Its actually £155m if you consider the players we have sold. If someone gives takes £50 off you and gives you £100, they are not giving you £100 are they?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
240m in 18 months is being backed. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have added more though. Just wanted to dispel that myth
Yes, last season we spent as we shouldve spent last season (even though Bruno should've been last summer) (and lets not leave out we got 70m for Lukaku in addition to getting Sanchez off the wage bill, as that's pretty significant). But its a common pattern. We finish outside the top 4, we spend big. We finish in top 4, we cut back spending and fail to do enough to even maintain our level, causing us to drop out of top 4. The level of ambition from the owners is top 4. Thats it. Nothing more. Thats where the frustration lies. We had a chance to push on this summer, like any proper football club should do. We have a good group of players that is missing some key pieces. Unfortunately, itll continue to lack these key pieces because they don't care about doing what's needed to challenge.

What we spent last season should be the norm for a club of our size and ambition. Every single season (though at the same time, would be nice to have someone competent in charge of transfers so we don't throw money away like we do when we actually decide to spend). You can excuse some of the big clubs from not spending big this summer if they're already at the top. They can get by with skipping a transfer window in 7ncertain circumstances (yet even they did more than we did). But a club thats rebuilding? We've done less than Spurs and Arsenal. Liverpool won the title and finished 33 points ahead of us, and they've spent more than we have. Its a disaster of a summer from us and failing to strengthen will set us back even further than we were. This summer is a missed opportunity. Wonder how long it'll be until the players start questioning the level of ambition showed by the club and start looking to leave.

croadyman

Forgetting about the shitshow situation at LB & RW for the moment,which do you feel is more important cover out of

ST

DM

red4ever 79

Its actually £155m if you consider the players we have sold. If someone gives takes £50 off you and gives you £100, they are not giving you £100 are they?
Well he has been allowed to sign 5 players which is half a team added to already established stars like De Gea Matic Pogba Martial and Rashford. So we should be doing better than what we are. Of course we still need more players, just wanted to debunk people saying Ole has had no backing because that's not at all true

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We had 4 or 5 months to do transfers. And now we will be all over transfer market to do it in 3 days. No matter what we do in this 3 days, this was true horror show by Ed and company