Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

romufc

They have sold Hazard and Morata for big money, and haven't spend anything last year. We in the meantime signed Maguire, Bruno Fernandes, AWB and James for about 180-190 million and hardly sold anyone, except for Lukaku. They'll sign Werner, Ziyech and Havertz for about the amount they got from Hazard and Morata.
This again... have you not been watching what is happening in football?
Chelsea signed Pulisic and Kovacic = £90m spent.

Manutd spent £180m but you do realise we sold Lukaku for about £70m? Sanchez wages are gone saving us £50m odd

GoldanoGraham

Surely if there was going to be no activity then we would have been hearing stories in the press to that effect......

maybe, just maybe, we are trying to be a bit more stealth like this year and keeping our mouths shut and in discussion to sign a couple of players....

we haven’t actually said anything on the Sancho front for several weeks, we have NOT told the press it’s not happening this year or anything - the only noises are what journos are making up as assumptions - then there is the likes of the Gabriel from Lille - at no point where Utd ever discussing this - we were just used to squeeze some more cash out of Arsenal - again we never responded to any rumours......

the fact that there are so few rumours about us is also very different from the norm - this then creates absolute panic among the fans - id rather this than hear we are in for players and then miss out on players that we were never even negotiating for as like most windows....

it certainly would be good to have a signing in the bag soon, before we start training, and preferably our main target (Sancho). I can only hope that this has been held up because of Dortmund’s need to sort out their replacement....seems like everyone is keeping their powder dry on this one at the moment which is why I certainly don’t think its dead in the water

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Pretty obvious we are signing absolutely no one in this transfer window. It was Sancho or bust.

Giggsy13

I'd say that success on the pitch is a major condition for financial stability
This is precisely it. The Glazers could milk the sponsors even more if we were actually good and winning things. Right now they’re making money simply on our name and past history of winning things. That will only last so long. Fenway sports for the dippers are tight fisted as well and financially responsible but they’re actually committed to winning, which shows in the way their club is run.

Redcy

Surely if there was going to be no activity then we would have been hearing stories in the press to that effect......

maybe, just maybe, we are trying to be a bit more stealth like this year and keeping our mouths shut and in discussion to sign a couple of players....

we haven’t actually said anything on the Sancho front for several weeks, we have NOT told the press it’s not happening this year or anything - the only noises are what journos are making up as assumptions - then there is the likes of the Gabriel from Lille - at no point where Utd ever discussing this - we were just used to squeeze some more cash out of Arsenal - again we never responded to any rumours......

the fact that there are so few rumours about us is also very different from the norm - this then creates absolute panic among the fans - id rather this than hear we are in for players and then miss out on players that we were never even negotiating for as like most windows....

it certainly would be good to have a signing in the bag soon, before we start training, and preferably our main target (Sancho). I can only hope that this has been held up because of Dortmund’s need to sort out their replacement....seems like everyone is keeping their powder dry on this one at the moment which is why I certainly don’t think its dead in the water

Hmm not convinced we are going to get Sancho right now. Dortmund have basically walked away unless we offer a different structure. On the other hand we are starting to see "soft" articles on how agents fees are an issue, how salary demands will break the wage structure, all the typical things you see as we eventually come out and say we are not buying. I think over the next week we will see more articles by the bigger united journos talking about "insiders" at the club.

I would guess we cannot find a structure that suits us. My guess would be that we try and get Costa on a loan, Brooks as a cheap Grealish alternative for £30m, and then don't loan Smalling out, keeping the rest of the dross. We will then hear how Ole thinks we are in good shape for this season, and he is going to give our young players, and the likes of Pereira and Lingard a chance to fight for their place.

croadyman

Ighalo on a permanent five year contract. Serious question though, if Chelsea are able to afford signings this summer why aren't we? I mean it's the same pandemic for everyone and we make significantly more than them.
Because they are being bankrolled by a Russian oil Oligarch whereas our owners are more concerned by the NFL than MUFC

romufc

I am sure they weren't expecting to pay at the price of a Fiesta. More like some Porsche 911 Carrera price due to Covid.
Well, that goes out the window when the Chelsea are about to pay 100m euros for Havertz in total.

croadyman

Chelsea are almost certainly a lock for 3rd now. United could be returning to training without a single signing. Ole should be infuriated if that’s the case after delivering what the owners wanted.

Cavani’s deal to Benfica has reportedly broken down. He would be a shrewd signing on a 2 plus 1 deal, as we could use his experience up front. Don’t be fooled into thinking there no deals to be made that could make us better, there are plenty if we operated more intelligently.
Yeah would want big money but worth it for the big experience he offers to our front line and gives us a different dimension as well

Tony247

Because they are being bankrolled by a Russian oil Oligarch whereas our owners are more concerned by the NFL than MUFC
I don't think Roman is pumping his money since last few years. Seems they have been balancing their books and have better academy grooming and transfer strategy. May be he is not taking lot of profit from the club which could be leaving more money in chelsea's kitty to spend. I remember chelsea became advocate of FFP once they started booking annual profit.

Tony247

I foresee another possible issue if we go and do panic buying of leftovers towards the end of the window. Given Ole's nature and style he needs best possible starting 11 so that he can loyally play them week in week out. And I am not sure how buying some leftover will change his mind to rotate the squad...it would not help if we go and buy leftover.......just a hunch.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I'd say that success on the pitch is a major condition for financial stability
I would agree. Football is the product the business sells so you would think it must be of a sufficient quality.

Cleary though, the lack of big time success hasnt been a show stopper. We have not been successful relative to big titles on the pitch, but revenues are still massive. Yeah they might post a loss from time to time on a quarterly basis but in the grand scheme of things the business side is healthy. Very Healthy.

Houdini

I'm afraid that we can't get rid of deadwood. We need to make our future signings wisely or we'll end up with the likes of Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Sanchez, James, insteaad of players like Sancho.

Giggsy13

Yeah would want big money but worth it for the big experience he offers to our front line and gives us a different dimension as well
Cavani would ask for a lot of money but we saw the impact of Zlatan for one year. Having that experienced world class striker would have inevitably helped against Sevilla as well. I don’t see why Cavani wouldn’t give us a serious look where we can offer champions league football this year. Again it demonstrates the sheer lack of incompetence of our club that we aren’t exploring these types of deals where they’re clearly needed.

croadyman

I'm afraid that we can't get rid of deadwood. We need to make our future signings wisely or we'll end up with the likes of Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Sanchez, James, insteaad of players like Sancho.
Yeah and the reason for that like many have already said is because they are grossly overpaid by this club and we end up getting lumbered with them

croadyman

Cavani would ask for a lot of money but we saw the impact of Zlatan for one year. Having that experienced world class striker would have inevitably helped against Sevilla as well. I don’t see why Cavani wouldn’t give us a serious look where we can offer champions league football this year. Again it demonstrates the sheer lack of incompetence of our club that we aren’t exploring these types of deals where they’re clearly needed.
Yeah but Bruno aside Ole just will not allow himself to look outside out of that british mid 20's and looking to make that step up bracket

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
The "there's 6 weeks left in the window" argument doesn't really hold this year. By the time the window closes, some leagues such as Ligue 1 will have played 6 games, teams aren't going to sell important players at this point of the season.

OT1214

Usually, we get linked to every player on earth once the silly season begins. This time its quite the opposite. The optimist in me thinks we are working quietly in the background to get deals done. I know thats very unlike Woody. But one can always hope.

RedNed77

*Looks for white text

Oooook then.
I think its pretty obvious he's being sarcastic given his comment from an hour before. That or seriously schizophrenic

That is literally my dream job.

Huge pay cheque.
Get to play football with my idols every day.
Limited amount of pressure.
Free tickets to every game.

That would be so amazing. I'd take a 5yr contract with United over winning the lotto.

Edit:

There's a few weeks to go yet, ye fecking simpletons. Stop overreacting.
There is absolutely no way we'll finish in the top half of the league this season. Not with this squad.

EVERY single other team is massively upgrading and rehauling their squad.

I am reasonably optimistic that we'll avoid relegation at least but it might be a dogfight coming down to the final day.

Who's our last match against?

Giggsy13

We’re so shit at getting rid of deadwood that I had to do a double take and confirm whether Darmian was still in the squad.

Thiago and Cavani are available and just looking at fees alone for €30 million. We are in need of these type of experienced and world class players in our squad. Mata and Ighalo just don’t cut it. Our lack of depth may have a huge impact on our ability to get out of the group stages of the champions league.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am sure they weren't expecting to pay at the price of a Fiesta. More like some Porsche 911 Carrera price due to Covid.
An efficient club go for players they can afford. They would also have a plan B and a plan C just in case things go wrong

EwanI Ted

It’s gone very quiet. Normally our transfers are trailed long in advance in the press. Since the Sancho one went cold we’ve heard almost nothing about any player. Quite odd. Does make me think that, beyond a potential Sancho move, any incomings will be very low key.

Jam

We’re so shit at getting rid of deadwood that I had to do a double take and confirm whether Darmian was still in the squad.

Thiago and Cavani are available and just looking at fees alone for €30 million. We are in need of these type of experienced and world class players in our squad. Mata and Ighalo just don’t cut it. Our lack of depth may have a huge impact on our ability to get out of the group stages of the champions league.
No thank you to either, we’ve been and done with those types of transfers.

jem

Pretty obvious we are signing absolutely no one in this transfer window. It was Sancho or bust.
I'm not sure it's obvious at all. I mean we all fear an underwhelming window, but I'd bet money on us bringing somebody in.

RedDevil@84

At this rate, we will probably give contract extensions to Lingard, Mata and some more old guard and call it a day. And Ole will be forced to say something about how he thinks we have enough and everyone is raring to go into the new season.

RedDevil@84

An underwhelming window will just prove, once and for all, that the Glazers and Woodward have no intention to make United top dogs in the near future. They want mediocrity and no amount of managerial merry go round will fix that.

I don't know what will be worse. An underwhelming window where we don't buy enough players or a window, by the end of which we panic and buy 30M level of players for 60M and give the impression Ole has been backed with a huge amounts of money.

Zoo

So I read that we’re back in training next week but are yet to do any business. Am not impressed, it’s just going to hamstring, the squad and any prospective new signings.

dasty

Wolves are close to signing Maitland-Niles and Newcastle had just confirmed their signing of Hendrick. That means it's only us and Leicester that have yet to sign a player this transfer window.

croadyman

Wolves are close to signing Maitland-Niles and Newcastle had just confirmed their signing of Hendrick. That means it's only us and Leicester that have yet to sign a player this transfer window.
Will soon be just us out on our own in that stat because club thinks we have all the time in the world

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Transfers Outgoing:

Alexis SánchezInter MilanFree Transfer
Cameron Borthwick-JacksonOldham AthleticFree Transfer
Angel GomesLOSC LilleFree Transfer
George TannerCarlisle UnitedFree Transfer
Ethan HamiltonPeterboroughFree Transfer
Tahith ChongWerder BremenLoan
Aliou TraoréSM CaenLoan

We've had a shit window so far, we're almost a month since it opened (27th July) and the above is all that's occurred despite it being clear as day that we've struggled with lack of quality in our squad. I normally call for patience but this has been abysmal, given the schedule for next season and the lack of pre season it's honestly been terrible. Covid isn't something that jumped out at us and caught us by surprise, we've had enough time to prepare for this window and the owners have so far produced sweet feck all.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Little hope we'll get anything of note over the line.

How depressing is it, we finally see some hope with a good crop of young players potentially maturing together and we need some additions to build on that and push forward and we get nothing.

I'd argue we've never needed a loud and vocal protest against the hierarchy of the club more than ever. Need to go full angry protests style. Where are the dudes that attacked Woodwards house?

tjb

Honestly, our aim should be to simply improve our depth in certain positions if we aren't going to spend on Sancho. A third winger who can offset the inexperience of Rashford and Greenwood, a left back who can deputise for Shaw and a centre back.