Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

DevilRed

I think the club has decided that we aren't going to be fleeced anymore. You see clubs everywhere this summer getting reduced transfers but we still have Porto demanding 40mil for Telles and Dortmund demanding 120mil for Sancho. I'm happy enough that the club don't want to pay those silly fees anymore and in contrast to many others on here, I'm also happy to see us not panic and bring in alternative players who don't match the profile or quality of player we want to add to the squad. That approach is what got us the squad we have at the moment, full of overpaid mediocrity.

The issue is, that as much as I agree with this new approach - it doesn't help with the fact that we are starting a season in the Premier League in which all of our rivals have strengthened and we have maybe 6 outfield players in our entire squad who are good enough to play for the club. How do we fix this?

We can't now - it's too late. The time to fix it was before the summer and to change things now would only be to fix matters for next year. We need to start communicating that things have changed at United to fans, to agents and to other clubs. How do we expect the people we are negotiating with to take us seriously while we are still rewarding the people who made us into this mess with their positions? When those idiots like Woodward and Judge are still the other end of the phone with them today? The club needs to show that the instigators of the old failed model have been rooted out and that we are serious about this new direction.

Panicking now and throwing a load of cash at subpar alternatives is not the answer, it would just kick the can down the road for another year. If the club is serious about reforming, we need to hold the course now and be prepared to really struggle this season if Dortmund and Porto don't blink before the end of the window. Even if they do, and we start the season with a couple more of the reinforcements we badly need, there need to be changes made once it has closed. This can't be our summer every year.
On one hand I think its great that the club is trying to change the image in the transfer market. Too often have we been fleeced. Too often have we given bad contracts to players.

The Jadon Sancho deal though, is the one deal we should/could break the bank for. It really signals intent and we are signing one of the best young players in the world. An englishman to boot.

I'm happy with the haggling over Telles. I'm happy we walked away from reguillion and probably countless other deals that were just silly. Also, the price for DVB was fantastic. Considering he was quoted much higher when he was on the verge of making a move to real madrid.

I think if we don't manage to make anymore signings then OGS will just have to work magic again and ensure the players are motivated and ready to perform. We don't have a bad group. They are more than capable of attaining a top four position. What could derail us is injuries, although with DVB in the squad now that lessens the burden in midfield which we are looking very strong in depth. Its up front that worries me. At the back, with Bailly, Tuanzebe returning from injury I feel we will do much better.

DevilRed

Probably what Evra was alluding to the other day

Would be hilariously depressing if it was someone like Partey, Aouar or Alaba :lol:
Sounds like absolute horseshit IMO.

Where were these stories before evra said his piece?

Just the press stirring up shit as usual.

United Hobbit

Im watching the Sunderland documentary season 2 and they're in the January transfer window...

They look similar competence levels to us though on realising the money they're offering for their (only?) Target is being rejected the owner offers the asking price. He then offers above the asking price and get him.

It feels horribly familiar. The haggling. The lack of back up plan. Ending up over paying. Etc.

Im seeing more comparison through various parts of the documentary to a league 1 club than the City documentary.

I dont think we will make any more signings, the recent government update has given them the perfect get out clause

When will Woodward et al finally be held to account?

Fooza

Remember this guys, Ole in April:

"Who knows how the market is going to react to this? Who knows which clubs need to sell players? There might be just a situation there where you can exploit, and I know that we at Man United we are one of the biggest, and the biggest, financially well-off," Solskjaer told Sky Sports.
link

Biggest joke of 2020? Just give me an egg to smash it on my face, cause we looking real stupid right now from getting all hyped up before the window.

MrSingh2002

To think people thought the club did the right thing by not backing Jose in his 3rd season with us.

They're doing the same to Ole after another season of overachieving in the league.

What a bunch of cnuts Woodward and the Glazers are.

Gavinb33

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Im watching the Sunderland documentary season 2 and they're in the January transfer window...

They look similar competence levels to us though on realising the money they're offering for their (only?) Target is being rejected the owner offers the asking price. He then offers above the asking price and get him.

It feels horribly familiar. The haggling. The lack of back up plan. Ending up over paying. Etc.

Im seeing more comparison through various parts of the documentary to a league 1 club than the City documentary.

I dont think we will make any more signings, the recent government update has given them the perfect get out clause

When will Woodward et al finally be held to account?
Agree with you. No more signings are going to happen this year and Woodward will never be held accountable.

"Club" is fecked on account of shite business men

NJM78

This club is going in one direction, until these owners go and football people are hired to oversee transfers I can see us going many, many years before we get back to the top.

Even rivalling the 26 years wait we had, we are already on our way to 8 years, a third of the way there.

buckooo1978

the really stupid thing for me is that if the Glazers aren't willing to spend the kind of money to bring in talent why are we not working incredibly hard to secure players like Bellingham.

What the hell is going on with our Scouting. If we are using a data driven system then I'd expect our targets to be dominated by established players, like Sancho, who cost a lot of money which Glazers are unwilling to spend

meanwhile a side like Dortmund snap up Bellingham, Haaland, Reyna, Sancho etc

a team like Liverpool, relatively cash strapped can sign Thiago

when you think about it its fecking ridiculous... one of the most disjointed recruitment strategy in the world

Shark

@NotShark
This club is going in one direction, until these owners go and football people are hired to oversee transfers I can see us going many, many years before we get back to the top.

Even rivalling the 26 years wait we had, we are already on our way to 8 years, a third of the way there.
We'll go the way of Arsenal, hoovering around 4th-6th for the next decade, maybe winning the odd FA Cup. Those that think United are too big for that to happen will be in for a rude awakening.

Ronaldo's Love Child

We'll go the way of Arsenal, hoovering around 4th-6th for the next decade, maybe winning the odd FA Cup. Those that think United are too big for that to happen will be in for a rude awakening.
I'm sick with myself for constantly visiting Sky Sports Transfer page to see if there are any updates or news.
Starting to feel that our business is done.

NJM78

Yep, I'm almost resigned to it now.

My excitement for football is at an all time low and I'm no spring chicken.

yamo123x

Ed is saving up the drama for deadline day.

As far as I can see if we have ambition we must invest now, Umpeceano and Sancho will end up at Madrid Barca or PSG if we don’t take the plunge now. Invest now and if Ole can’t deliver with those 2 additions then he will need to be replaced by Poch or Nagelsman

Drifter

American
"What is going on?!?" | Man United fan Flex fumes over Jadon Sancho situation & transfer activity

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Mitten covers the scourge of transfer muppetry, tiers of transfer journalists and getting abused for telling the truth about transfers :lol: (from 4m 15s)
He covers every issue Redcafe posters have stated about the state of our transfer window (ins and outs).

Last edited:

Crustanoid

A public flogging of Ed on deadline day might just abate fans anger, these cvnting grasping vagrants running the club know that no fans will be in stadiums to publicly show their anger about how they have shat from a great height on our club this year, so they have chanced their arm to royally feck us over and not build on 3rd place whilst still taking massive dividends knowing there won’t be any public protests to tarnish their public image.

Ronaldo's Love Child

What would Ole do if there are no additional transfers? Would he pressure the board? I mean he would be walking into a lion's den especially with the CL games. With no quality apart from the first XI, I suspect we'd be lucky to make it out of the group stages. Hopefully we don't finish third in the group as I can't stomach another Europa journey.
Ole is an interesting one. I'm not sure he has the ambition of other coaches who care more about their CV than the clubs they manage. If he gets sacked by United he would probably be happy to manage a club in Norway again.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Ole is an interesting one. I'm not sure he has the ambition of other coaches who care more about their CV than the clubs they manage. If he gets sacked by United he would probably be happy to manage a club in Norway again.
Definitely agree. Doesn’t have the top level ambition and “selfishness” to succeed. In many ways the antithesis to Jose

Strelok

6 days till the deadline. We'd probably get Telles at max. And even that is too hopeful I think.

Atm no team would consider selling their first team players unless we overpay a lot. And Ed and the Glazers definitely won't do that given the current financial climate.

So, imo our windows has effectively concluded.

ReallyUSA

Definitely agree. Doesn’t have the top level ambition and “selfishness” to succeed. In many ways the antithesis to Jose
How did you get there? He is saying we need players, he's allowing players to say we need players, and he's talking to Sancho. This has nothing to do with Ole, and if he does get the sack he will be given the benefit of the doubt but probably won't get another shot at a big club. So to say he doesn't have top-level ambition is wild.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

The owner won't go, as long as the Club keep getting money for them. Money from sponsors, and from fans who moan a lot about them, but still keep buying products and/or buying game tickets. I don't know if these fans are oblivious to where their money go, just stupid, or don't care about the owner.

Maybe this is a worthy/interesting poll to make.

Russky14

Just picked this up from the Beeb site

OGS

On transfers: "I can't give you any news. We are working with what we have got. We have a big squad. We changed 10 players from Saturday. If there is any update, we will let you know.

"I don't comment on other teams' players. I can't concern myself with other clubs. I know the club is working well and hard to have a strong squad as possible. Sometimes speculation is there and we can't control that."

FFS - tepid beyond belief. "We are working with what we have got. We have a big squad". There you go. Hopefully, to be proved wrong but all the speculation is just hype. We aiin't getting anyone else.

laughtersassassin

I expect next to nothing from this club as the Glazers and Ed are absolute jokes but even still they have managed to have the worst window imaginable.

Truly feck them. Slowly but surely making sure this club is never at the top again.

Last edited:

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I expect next to nothing from this club as the Glazers and Ed are absolute jokes but even still they have managed to have the worst window imaginable.

Truly feck them. Slowly but surely making sure this club is never at the top again.
Feeling oddly optimistic this evening tbh, expecting 3 signings. LB, ST + RW.

BorisManUtd

Couple of interesting days ahead of us, surely. Expect few players to come in and few going out (Smalling, Pereira on loan, maybe Dalot/Romero too). Just a shame we left it this late in the window, with season well under way.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
As long as the Glazers own the club, we're fecked. There are many here who don't quite believe it, but we'll see.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Couple of interesting days ahead of us, surely. Expect few players to come in and few going out (Smalling, Pereira on loan, maybe Dalot/Romero too). Just a shame we left it this late in the window, with season well under way.
This is the reason why I dislike it when people say "you can't blame them for trying to save a few quid" or comparing waiting to buy a player to waiting for the Christmas sales. We're regularly leaving our business late when other clubs (this season not the best example) get their squads sorted in time for the new players to be involved in preseason training and build relationships with their new teammates.

Woody doesn't help himself by usually saying "we're well mint and got loadsa dish innit" a week before the transfer market opens.

It’s difficult when we need to shift those players. We have a bloated squad, and clearly it’s difficult to get rid.

We can get money for Smalling. The rest are loans or free - Dalot and Perrera on loan potentially, the former we might be able to get a few quid for. Rojo, Romero on free transfers if we are lucky.

This is the reason why I dislike it when people say "you can't blame them for trying to save a few quid" or comparing waiting to buy a player to waiting for the Christmas sales. We're regularly leaving our business late when other clubs (this season not the best example) get their squads sorted in time for the new players to be involved in preseason training and build relationships with their new teammates.

Woody doesn't help himself by usually saying "we're well mint and got loadsa dish innit" a week before the transfer market opens.
It is an unusual year. We also need to move players on, or at the very least be confident we can sell or loan them. The only one I’m confident of selling is Smalling.

Fooza

:nervous: nervous, how on earth we left it this late to get signings in? Shambles of a club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just picked this up from the Beeb site

OGS

On transfers: "I can't give you any news. We are working with what we have got. We have a big squad. We changed 10 players from Saturday. If there is any update, we will let you know.

"I don't comment on other teams' players. I can't concern myself with other clubs. I know the club is working well and hard to have a strong squad as possible. Sometimes speculation is there and we can't control that."

FFS - tepid beyond belief. "We are working with what we have got. We have a big squad". There you go. Hopefully, to be proved wrong but all the speculation is just hype. We aiin't getting anyone else.
Did you expect him to say something like "we're going in hard late doors, and i'll be greasing myself up in expectation tonight, baby"