Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
So most clubs barring maybe Chelsea and Spurs are just going to sit on their hands for the next couple of weeks
I think this is a summer more than most, more than ever really, where clubs are going to want the maximum value for their players. We are doing it ourselves right now with Smalling. That means sitting tight. Bluff & counter-bluff. Things will go mental in the last week or two of the window

Dve

Yes, a Crystal Palace benchwarmer will really get the pulses racing.

Koulibaly is no longer flavour of the month. He’s too busy hanging out with Sean Longstaff and Ryan Sessegnon in the passé footballers hall of fame.
You have paid litte attention, my friend. Sørloth has not been playing for Crystal Palace this season. Instead he has scored 33 goals for Trabzonspor and are establishing himself as a starter for Norway on the cost of Joshua King. For me, he is the missing link in the United attack and would with his 6,4 be the perfect plan B to have on the bench. He has taken huge steps this season and is in my opinion not far behind Haaland in quality. There is a reason why he´s wanted by both Leipzig and Tottenham. This is his player profile on Whoscored, which is a bit surprising considering his height:

Finishing: Very Strong
Dribbling: Very Strong
Headed attempts: Very Strong
Key passes: Strong
Aerial Duels: Strong

Added to that, he´s quite fast as well. This is a player I´ve been "scouting" quite a lot this season, and I think he´ll have a great future.

Tel074

The only thing that shocks me is anyone is shocked anymore . We do this every single window since Gill and Ferguson left us .
I'm not even sure I blame Ed and co. The blame lays at the door of the owners for me they have been short changing us since the Ferguson days but his genius won us trophies .
We have needed a Chelsea like window any window the past 7 years and we get drip and drabs from the parasites.
Our greatest rivals won the league and are favourites to win their 20th title this coming season while we do absolutely nothing to try and narrow the gap to them .

Our owners are happy with CL football and anyone who is close to the club knew we wouldn't go and spend 150/200 million in this transfer window .

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Would be CB & RW for me,maybe a LB if an opportunity presents itself that doesn't involve buyback clauses.

Much as I wanted to buy into the Thiago stuff again it's pretty clear that he is waiting for the scousers to firm up interest.
Thiago is another example. By all accounts he is available at a bargain price right now. Why haven't Liverpool signed him yet? It looks completely nailed on right? Liverpool probably believe they can reduce the transfer fee, and probably even the players salary demands (not to mention the agents), by simply waiting. Its not only clubs that will feel a sense of urgency, its players when they see a move they want slipping away, and agents with their fat commissions.

United doing the same with Sancho, and who knows what other players

Dve

Sorloth? He must have progressed a lot this year, because he wasn't even outstanding in the Belgian league.
He left the Belgium league 5 years ago, at age of 19. And yes, he really has progressed a lot.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yes such a shame that the window closed earlier today.
I just needed to vent. You’re right. They could still turn it around but I have very little confidence that they will. We’ve been lulled into thinking we’d turned some kind of corner on and off the pitch when we signed Bruno but it’s just been more of the same off the pitch since. Indecisive and reactionary at best.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The reality check where half the premier league outspent us this summer?
Who knows how much of a financial risk these clubs are taking with their expenditure. Maybe none, maybe a lot. We could potentially go another whole season without a full stadium anywhere in the country.

Ronaldo's Love Child

I just don’t get how we always manage to drag things out to the very last minute. What’s so hard about identifying targets early, work on an agreement with the clubs before the window opens and be ready to go when the window opens? Why is it made to look so disjointed by United? Every season
Exactly!

The Sancho "deal" could have been sorted ages ago when it became clear that we were not going to pay full price for him and clear that Dortmund would not settle for less. I'm still not even sure we put a bid in for him yet???

Most clubs in the PL have now already spent the same as us in this transfer window. Our spending power appears to be on a par with Newcastle

croadyman

Thiago is another example. By all accounts he is available at a bargain price right now. Why haven't Liverpool signed him yet? It looks completely nailed on right? Liverpool probably believe they can reduce the transfer fee, and probably even the players salary demands (not to mention the agents), by simply waiting. Its not only clubs that will feel a sense of urgency, its players when they see a move they want slipping away, and agents with their fat commissions.

Yeah I know they are a pretty garbage source but that's exactly the point they were making about them in that Talksport tweet

yamo123x

Simple facts, we have no clear strategy and are so naive in the transfer market.It certainly comes across this way.
Ole clearly has no presence to push the board for signings either, he comes across as a bit of a yes man.

Donny van de beek ... was he a primary summer target? Was he on Ole’s List? Or was it a value for money option that became available even though we didn’t need to recruit in that position. ?

Maybe Woody just loves to wait for deadline day, sitting in front of the tv with a curry and a glass of vintage red

Falcow

I just needed to vent. You’re right. They could still turn it around but I have very little confidence that they will. We’ve been lulled into thinking we’d turned some kind of corner on and off the pitch when we signed Bruno but it’s just been more of the same off the pitch since. Indecisive and reactionary at best.
Fair enough, I hear you. Would be great if we got Sancho but if it cant be done, it cant be done. I think it is prudent not to spend so much on a player in the midst of what will probably prove to be the worst crisis football has faced since perhaps WW2.

We dont have owners with pockets as deep as Chelsea's owners unfortunately but that doesnt mean Woodward is incompetent. This window was always going to be busier towards the closure due to the nervousness in football at present.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Who knows how much of a financial risk these clubs are taking with their expenditure. Maybe none, maybe a lot. We could potentially go another whole season without a full stadium anywhere in the country.
Come on, nobody can seriously defend them this summer. Before the season ended the talk was signings were dependent on finishing top 4, Ole was saying targets were dependent on that. Guess what, we finished 3rd. Where the are the signings? You can always judge a market based on what many other teams are doing. We're being outspent by loads of clubs, yet we're up there with the richest clubs in the world. And have the added Champions League income. If you want to improve, if you want to even stay where you were at, you need to invest in your club. There were discount deals to be had earlier in the summer, there still are. Get players on loan, free transfers etc. Most of those options are now gone because the group in charge of player recruitment is just fecking inept.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yeah I know they are a pretty garbage source but that's exactly the point they were making about them in that Talksport tweet
Transfer tweeters are the modern tabloids. People will get bored of them soon enough. They get the vast majority of their 'info from agents, who are usually using them for their own purposes.

Hammondo

Wow.
One whole season we strive to get into CL, just to start the next season with "not bothered, if we crash out on early stage".

United has to be at a level where we compete with the worlds best.

And that is why the frustration here, as we seem to be just a few good signings away from starting to challenge. Still doesnt meant we put our our tools down even before the proverbial first kick of the ball.
3 Semi Finals
3rd Place

....and he didn't have a full strength squad for the best part of a season.

Some sub-par manager that is.

Let me guess you're a Poch fan? A man who has won nothing and has done nothing of merit. The man has been out of a job for a while now and no - one has approached him.

This guy gets it.
How is that better than poch? Is it not basically the same?

Nori-

This transfer window now has the potential to be a absolute disaster :lol:

No CB, beaten to a LB by Spurs, priced out of Sancho and no new striker to compete with Martial.

Every time we feel like were not far from competing again we have a summer like this. F*** off Glazers.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Come on, nobody can seriously defend them this summer. Before the season ended the talk was signings were dependent on finishing top 4, Ole was saying targets were dependent on that. Guess what, we finished 3rd. Where the are the signings? You can always judge a market based on what many other teams are doing. We're being outspent by loads of clubs, yet we're up there with the richest clubs in the world. And have the added Champions League income. If you want to improve, if you want to even stay where you were at, you need to invest in your club. There were discount deals to be had earlier in the summer, there still are. Get players on loan, free transfers etc. Most of those options are now gone because the group in charge of player recruitment is just fecking inept.
Wait for the window to close. Judge it then. How hard is that? At least then you'd be arguing with some semblance of fact behind it. Trust me ill be as disappointed as you are if we add nobody else, I just don't see that happening

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

And on the other side clubs will wait until the last minute to make offers on our 'deadwood'. They would be daft not to.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So far, after we spent the most in January and 2nd most last Summer.
Last summer we were outspent by City, Arsenal, Wolves and Aston Villa in net spend. Yeah January we spent on Bruno which we should've done in the summer. Its a classic routine where we are always a window or 2 late on when we should actually buy the player and as a result can't ever catch up properly to strengthen properly. Shouldve bought Maguire/CB in 2018 summer, didn't and then waited til the last week of summer 2019 to spend 80m on Maguire. Shouldve bought Bruno in the summer, got him in January after an injury crisis (of only 2 players) and by loads of luck he managed to still salvage the season. Shouldve bought a leftback and right winger this summer, guess we'll leave it to January/next summer when we inevitably suffer an injury crisis this season that could've been so easily prevented.

The owners need to be clear. Do they want to compete for trophies? Do they want to build a squad that can fight for the top? If so, make the required signings to at least give us a shot in building a squad that can be competitive. My annoyance is at the fact that year after year, they only spend that bit extra when we need to get into the Champions League because we fell out of it. This summer is yet another example of that, where since we are now in it, the board tighten the purse strings and watch us struggle through the season. We won't ever progress from being a fringe top 4 team with that attitude, and that's fecking embarrassing for a club the size of Man United.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Exactly right. Its a buyers market, more than ever before
It could be for us if some of our players are willing to take a big paycut. Then you find out who actually wants to play football and who is just happy to sit tight, pick up the money and play in the Carabao Cup/

90 + 5min

They could try selling some players. Pity they are on such high wages that nobody wants them.
Lot of clubs are doing what we are doing. That is taking it very carefully in this period of time. Almost everybody is sitting still in the boat. And with the wages our players are on it will be hard to find club willing to pay. If we want decent money for our players.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Lot of clubs are doing what we are doing. That is taking it very carefully in this period of time. Almost everybody is sitting still in the boat. And with the wages our players are on it will be hard to find club willing to pay. If we want decent money for our players.
I can't believe some of the flaming contracts we have handed out.

Fitchett

Last summer we were outspent by City, Arsenal, Wolves and Aston Villa in net spend. Yeah January we spent on Bruno which we should've done in the summer. Its a classic routine where we are always a window or 2 late on when we should actually buy the player and as a result can't ever catch up properly to strengthen properly. Shouldve bought Maguire/CB in 2018 summer, didn't and then waited til the last week of summer 2019 to spend 80m on Maguire. Shouldve bought Bruno in the summer, got him in January after an injury crisis (of only 2 players) and by loads of luck he managed to still salvage the season. Shouldve bought a leftback and right winger this summer, guess we'll leave it to January/next summer when we inevitably suffer an injury crisis this season that could've been so easily prevented.

The owners need to be clear. Do they want to compete for trophies? Do they want to build a squad that can fight for the top? If so, make the required signings to at least give us a shot in building a squad that can be competitive. My annoyance is at the fact that year after year, they only spend that bit extra when we need to get into the Champions League because we fell out of it. This summer is yet another example of that, where since we are now in it, the board tighten the purse strings and watch us struggle through the season. We won't ever progress from being a fringe top 4 team with that attitude, and that's fecking embarrassing for a club the size of Man United.
Sadly, I think it's clear that the owners (parasites) will pay enough to secure a top four PL place and hence, CL income, but no more. Their business plan is based on maximising profits, which they can then give themselves dividends, rather than winning the big trophies, such as the CL or PL.

90 + 5min

I can't believe some of the flaming contracts we have handed out.
That is one sideeffect when you are changing lot of managers ín short period of time. You give big conracts to players that are liked by managers. And the more managers you change the more you spend on players they need and that results often in bigger wages because you want to give every manager "big" players.

Leftback99

We need to wait and see what happens by October 5th yet before complaining.

For all the money spent in the league so far how many signings would have seriously improved us? One of Havertz/Ziyech/Havertz straight into our first XI. Chillwell probably. Some useful squad options maybe. It's not easy because we aren't in as bad a shape as previous seasons first XI wise.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So as of now it's looking like;
No sancho
No regullion
No bale (might be a good thing)
No CB
I'm waiting till oct but this is looking like a disaster right now.
Was thinking this earlier on. This summer we've been closely linked with Sancho, Upamecano, Thiago, Regullion and ended up signing Van de Beek!

Still a way to go, but I sometimes get the shocked and horrified feeling from the final day of Moyes first window in 2013 ....

Mindhunter

Sadly, I think it's clear that the owners (parasites) will pay enough to secure a top four PL place and hence, CL income, but no more. Their business plan is based on maximising profits, which they can then give themselves dividends, rather than winning the big trophies, such as the CL or PL.
So based on what you are saying any team who has spent the amount we have on transfers and wages in the last 8 years shouldn't be expected to challenge for titles? That amount is only enough for a top 4 finish?

Leftback99

Imagine back in July someone told you there would be outrage here because we weren't buying Reguilón.