Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Last summer we were outspent by City, Arsenal, Wolves and Aston Villa in net spend. Yeah January we spent on Bruno which we should've done in the summer. Its a classic routine where we are always a window or 2 late on when we should actually buy the player and as a result can't ever catch up properly to strengthen properly. Shouldve bought Maguire/CB in 2018 summer, didn't and then waited til the last week of summer 2019 to spend 80m on Maguire. Shouldve bought Bruno in the summer, got him in January after an injury crisis (of only 2 players) and by loads of luck he managed to still salvage the season. Shouldve bought a leftback and right winger this summer, guess we'll leave it to January/next summer when we inevitably suffer an injury crisis this season that could've been so easily prevented.
The owners need to be clear. Do they want to compete for trophies? Do they want to build a squad that can fight for the top? If so, make the required signings to at least give us a shot in building a squad that can be competitive. My annoyance is at the fact that year after year, they only spend that bit extra when we need to get into the Champions League because we fell out of it. This summer is yet another example of that, where since we are now in it, the board tighten the purse strings and watch us struggle through the season. We won't ever progress from being a fringe top 4 team with that attitude, and that's fecking embarrassing for a club the size of Man United.
I empathise with all you say, but the first sentence is disingenuous as those clubs didn't acquire Pogba, Lukaku, Maguire, AWB or Bruno type signings in last 3 summers! One summer is too short a comparative time period to beat the stick with.

Also, I thought we had all made peace with the fact that the Glazers are happy with top 4, and won't invest what is required to become champions via a quick fix? That was clear during Mourinho's final window and last summer too. The only way we can win the league is to build a team over several seasons, make sure every single big acquisition 100% delivers, and hope some of our youth prospects also make it.

Acting out every window seems a waste of energy when we all already know this?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We need to wait and see what happens by October 5th yet before complaining.

For all the money spent in the league so far how many signings would have seriously improved us? One of Havertz/Ziyech/Havertz straight into our first XI. Chillwell probably. Some useful squad options maybe. It's not easy because we aren't in as bad a shape as previous seasons first XI wise.
Our first 11 isn't even the problem, that's the annoying thing. We need depth signings, generally those are much easier to make. Signings that can come in and rotate/compete with some of our starting 11 players so we can withstand multiple competitions (let alone one with this upcoming seasons schedule). We need left back cover because Luke Shaw will break down since we're playing twice a week every week the entire season, as he does every year in busy periods (only now that busy period lasts all year). Greenwood is an 18 year old who we have no cover for. Rashford got a stress fracture last season due to a situation like this one. If we don't sign actual usable depth, our starting 11 players will break down. At least we got some competition and cover for Pogba/Bruno, but that was far from the only issue. Need the same level of reinforcement in attack and at full back, otherwise we'll be fecker over very quickly.

Fitchett

So based on what you are saying any team who has spent the amount we have on transfers and wages in the last 8 years shouldn't be expected to challenge for titles? That amount is only enough for a top 4 finish?
There was an article posted recently, which showed our summer spending was much more in the years we finished outside the top four, compared to when we finished in the top four.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I empathise with all you say, but the first sentence is disingenuous as those clubs didn't acquire Pogba, Lukaku, Maguire, AWB or Bruno type signings in last 3 summers! One summer is too short a comparative time period to beat the stick with.

Also, I thought we had all made peace with the fact that the Glazers are happy with top 4, and won't invest what is required to become champions via a quick fix? That was clear during Mourinho's final window and last summer too. The only way we can win the league is to build a team over several seasons, make sure every single big acquisition 100% delivers, and hope some of our youth prospects also make it.

Acting out every window seems a waste of energy when we all already know this?
I know we're doing a slow build and that's the right thing to do. But to actually get there, you need to be aggressive on occasion. Chelsea won't win the league this year, but will likely be up there next season after their aggressive summer. We're moving so slow that its just a maintaining pace, and we'll miss our window and just stay at the same fringe top 4 level. Next summer we'll likely need to replace Matic as the CDM, the Pogba issue will probably become a very real thing, Shaw will get his injuries again and maybe we'll decide to do something about it, our centerback will be considered weak (but probably ignored), right wing/attacking depth will just be wrong again, etc. Eventually you need aggressive windows, now is the time for us to do it and get ahead of the game and cut the gap, and then really take those last steps next season. Instead, we'll struggle for top 4, lose some players next summer and just need to spend big to maintain whatever we had but fall behind on where we want to be because we wasted a summer.

Stretender

Simple facts, we have no clear strategy and are so naive in the transfer market.It certainly comes across this way.
Ole clearly has no presence to push the board for signings either, he comes across as a bit of a yes man.

Donny van de beek ... was he a primary summer target? Was he on Ole’s List? Or was it a value for money option that became available even though we didn’t need to recruit in that position. ?

Maybe Woody just loves to wait for deadline day, sitting in front of the tv with a curry and a glass of vintage red
Top post. We have no clear strategy. Appointing Ole was a dream decision for the Glazers because they know he is not someone who would question them. Lets get real here. Our transfer targets this summer could not have been Reguilon, Bale and Sancho. Sancho yes. The first two seriously NOT. I want to see what Targets United had in mind beyond Sancho. I also think Sancho will be signed. I dont see why not.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Wait for the window to close. Judge it then. How hard is that? At least then you'd be arguing with some semblance of fact behind it. Trust me ill be as disappointed as you are if we add nobody else, I just don't see that happening
I'm sure we will make two late signings.
King & Bale, sure as eggs are eggs...!!

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Not optimistic at all about any more incomings now. Almost wishing for the window to shut so that we can focus on the football

klsv

We didn't sign anyone in 1977 so we're already in a better place now with van de Beek :drool:

sp_107

Grealish gone / Sancho gone / Bale gone / Reguilon gone / Thiago gone / Upamecano gone

Anyone left ?

Jonesno.8

19 days left, I genuinely believe we'll get at least 1 more. Possibly Reguiilon but I still believe outgoings is what this whole window hinges on for us. In the current market a genuinely good window is knocking down our wages and minimising net spend while bringing a couple, hopefully 3. We all want a CB yet were arguably paying at least 6 already. Midfield is not wildly different in Lingard, James and yet we all want 1 more. Not an unreasonable ask to move lads on but board need to be realistic on the money we need back either low sale price or pay in lieu of over wage. Were doing OK, we were never going to go from top 4 to title challengers overnight.

croadyman

Grealish gone / Sancho gone / Bale gone / Reguilon gone / Thiago gone / Upamecano gone

Anyone left ?
Presume you are referring to just this window in regards to Upamecano,just remember we haven't briefed on walking away from Sancho yet

The White Pele

I think Ole has every right to feel let down by the inertia of our transfer business. We are leaving very little time to move on to other targets if we fail to land our primary ones. Concerned this will lead to stop-gap signings which is not what you want in a summer window.

WPMUFC

Our club actually briefed about Sancho a month after BVB shut the door, just for social media clicks didn't they? :lol: didn't think Woodward could fall any deeper in my estimation but that brief takes the cake. What an embarrassment.

Matthew84!

We might still sign sancho but I bet its for the asking price, which we could of done ages ago, if we sign no one else we'll probably sign someone in Jan but that's just not good enough,

Leonzo1

Rojo
Jones
Smalling
Dalot
Mata
Andreas
Lingard

We need to ship out at least 4-5 out of this list and we have less than 3 weeks to do it. We'll see more movement with incomings when we start shipping out some players. This lot is sitting on around 600k a week for doing f**k all.

Infra-red

Rojo
Jones
Smalling
Dalot
Mata
Andreas
Lingard

We need to ship out at least 4-5 out of this list and we have less than 3 weeks to do it. We'll see more movement with incomings when we start shipping out some players. This lot is sitting on around 600k a week for doing f**k all.
It's a shambles. Failing to sign Sancho for £108m can be forgiven, but allowing the club to go through yet another season of those cloggers stealing a wage is just ludicrous.

I keep forgetting Jones and Rojo are even still at the club.

Morpheus 7

It's grand everyone listing of players to get rid of. The reality is that the people in charge aren't up to it, I'm not saying to lower standards. Just face the fact that this window has been a disaster, highly likely we will not get anyone out. I have no trust in the board and them thieves in charge.

Mindhunter

There was an article posted recently, which showed our summer spending was much more in the years we finished outside the top four, compared to when we finished in the top four.
Yes, it most definitely was. Overall though we have spent enough for a title challenge. In fact, in some cases we have spent more than the league winners. People on this forum believe that spending money is the solution to our problem but I am not convinced that we will be able to compete even if we spend more than City.

Bottomline is that money is not what is keeping us from a title challenge. The fact that we had too much money in the first place was the reason why we were throwing money at the problem and ignoring all the other structural issues that were holding us back.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Yes, it most definitely was. Overall though we have spent enough for a title challenge. In fact, in some cases we have spent more than the league winners. People on this forum believe that spending money is the solution to our problem but I am not convinced that we will be able to compete even if we spend more than City.

Bottomline is that money is not what is keeping us from a title challenge. The fact that we had too much money in the first place was the reason why we were throwing money at the problem and ignoring all the other structural issues that were holding us back.
True and the fact that the financial gatekeepers and owners are themselves part of the structural problem that needs addressing.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Why is it hard? We were 6th in one of our worst season when Ole came in. Then spent ~220m since then, while others below us have been quite. I'd really question his management if he can't get at least 4th.
Our squad depth is terrible. Ole basically ran his first team to the ground towards the end of last season. He clearly doesn't trust the likes of Mata and Pereira. Matic started the post lockdown matches decently but dropped off towards the end. Rashford was pretty much half injured the whole time and still Ole didn't use his squad.

He was probably counting on Woodward not being the incompetent prick that he is and to bring in a few players for us.

As it stands, 7 weeks into the off season, we've only had 1 incoming transfer and 0 outgoings.

Ed Woodward is an incompetent cnut.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If there isn’t an attacking signing of note and another proper option at left back, it’s going to be a disappointing season.

Shaw can’t stay fit and Willians isn’t up for it on the left. It showed at the end of the season that it’s just not his position.

But if we really do start the season with only 3 decent options for the 3 forward positions, I would be gobsmacked.

There is no point playing it down or sugar coating. It condemns us to a season of struggle where we can’t make effective attacking changes in games and have to rely on the same three players all season long.

It would be a massive oversight and it would be completely unacceptable.

Two and a half weeks left and we need at least two quality options. Let’s get Telles in and focus on a signing that wouldn’t see a ridiculous drop in quality any time we make an attacking sub.

UpWithRivers

Wasnt Fernandes supposed to count as a summer signing? So we have bought Fernandes + VDB, spending around 85 mill so far? If we get Sancho thats nearly 200 mill! Just saying....

For me United have made the right moves.
1. Reguilon was not a priority but RM offered him around and we rightly inquired about him but pulled out because of buyback clause. Good moves.
2. We rightly went in for Sancho. We're still in for Sancho. It depends whats the truth but if Dortmund want 108 straight up cash or the agent wants 20 mill or whatever then its not exactly surprising that we are trying to get a better payment plan/deal. Literally every club is struggling bar Chelsea. For me Dortmund are being ridiculous and yes its their right to be. They dont need to sell. But I cant see any other club throwing around 110 mill straight up cash. Plus this is the most complicated transfer in the world. Simply because of the fee, the quality of the player and the fact he is not at a small club that needs to sell. Havertz for instance would have been a much easier deal.
3. DVB was a good signing at the right price.
4. We cant sell anyone. But how can we when no one wants our players.

Its frustrating but I would rather sign no one then keep screwing up transfers. Everyone blames Woodward and the Glazers. But a major part of our problems has been buying 600 mill plus of players that have been useless. The other problem is giving huge contracts to players that dont deserve it. We need to stick to our values and principles and not just buy anyone at any price. We also need to have a plan B. Even if that plan B is buy no one. If we cant get to an agreement by early next week for Sancho then we leak to the media and say Sancho not coming. We shouldn't let it drag on until the last few hours of the transfer market. Lets set a deadline and tell Dortmund here is our final offer. If he comes great if not then lets move on.

acrebo

I was actually naive enough to believe that the club wouldn’t possibly make a mess of this window, particularly after such a promising end to the season with a clear idea of positions that needed strengthening.

Seems I was wrong, we’re fecking it up again...

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That is one sideeffect when you are changing lot of managers ín short period of time. You give big conracts to players that are liked by managers. And the more managers you change the more you spend on players they need and that results often in bigger wages because you want to give every manager "big" players.
Did anybody actually like Phil Jones? Did any of them actually get to meet Phil Jones?

romufc

It's funny how some think we will do business in the later parts of the window. We take 2/3 weeks generally to complete a transfer, VBD was an exception.

We are always just "monitoring" players rather than doing anything.

We agree personal terms but hardly can agree the fee.

I wouldn't be surprised if we only get VDB this window.

A complete lack of ambition shown by this board.

GoldanoGraham

Wasnt Fernandes supposed to count as a summer signing? So we have bought Fernandes + VDB, spending around 85 mill so far? If we get Sancho thats nearly 200 mill! Just saying....

For me United have made the right moves.
1. Reguilon was not a priority but RM offered him around and we rightly inquired about him but pulled out because of buyback clause. Good moves.
2. We rightly went in for Sancho. We're still in for Sancho. It depends whats the truth but if Dortmund want 108 straight up cash or the agent wants 20 mill or whatever then its not exactly surprising that we are trying to get a better payment plan/deal. Literally every club is struggling bar Chelsea. For me Dortmund are being ridiculous and yes its their right to be. They dont need to sell. But I cant see any other club throwing around 110 mill straight up cash. Plus this is the most complicated transfer in the world. Simply because of the fee, the quality of the player and the fact he is not at a small club that needs to sell. Havertz for instance would have been a much easier deal.
3. DVB was a good signing at the right price.
4. We cant sell anyone. But how can we when no one wants our players.

Its frustrating but I would rather sign no one then keep screwing up transfers. Everyone blames Woodward and the Glazers. But a major part of our problems has been buying 600 mill plus of players that have been useless. The other problem is giving huge contracts to players that dont deserve it. We need to stick to our values and principles and not just buy anyone at any price. We also need to have a plan B. Even if that plan B is buy no one. If we cant get to an agreement by early next week for Sancho then we leak to the media and say Sancho not coming. We shouldn't let it drag on until the last few hours of the transfer market. Lets set a deadline and tell Dortmund here is our final offer. If he comes great if not then lets move on.
I agree with what your saying.

I think people need to realise that we are not as inept at transfer dealings as they perceive - I’ve read that people are in meltdown ove Reguilon and Bale - that we’ve lost out to Spurs etc etc....

the reality is if we had wanted to pursue these deals then I’m sure they would have been done....

clubs offer their players out through intermediaries and they then all talk and try and drum up some business - it’s really easy to associate Utd with any player and this then feeds into all the Twitter reporters who start to drum up a non story.....in the case of Reguilon I’m sure via an intermediary we asked the details - heard what RM were asking and moved on or just went back and said not interested in discussing further if those clauses are included....end of story - meanwhile RM intermediaries know that Spurs are suckers and tell them we’re in advanced discussions - they leak this out and rush to get a deal done against themselves.....

we can do a deal quickly - look at DVB - what the club doesn’t do is give its fans any kind of hope that there is a strategy in place or what they are actually working on......therefore the grapevine is ripe and everyone thinks we don’t know what we are doing......

we haven’t said we are not doing anymore business......

Smores

The only position where we desperately need reinforcement is up front. Williams is better than most backup we've had in the LB position down the years and everywhere else is covered.

If we don't get Sancho then Ole will need to work on alternative formations should we hit injuries or get the most of our squad players like every other manager.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Our first 11 isn't even the problem, that's the annoying thing. We need depth signings, generally those are much easier to make. Signings that can come in and rotate/compete with some of our starting 11 players so we can withstand multiple competitions (let alone one with this upcoming seasons schedule). We need left back cover because Luke Shaw will break down since we're playing twice a week every week the entire season, as he does every year in busy periods (only now that busy period lasts all year). Greenwood is an 18 year old who we have no cover for. Rashford got a stress fracture last season due to a situation like this one. If we don't sign actual usable depth, our starting 11 players will break down. At least we got some competition and cover for Pogba/Bruno, but that was far from the only issue. Need the same level of reinforcement in attack and at full back, otherwise we'll be fecker over very quickly.
Agree. Strong squad depth is what has you challenging for titles. Most of these players have no serious competition for their places, so know they are safe even if they put in a half arsed performance. That should never be the place. Also think there should be an overhaul of our loan system, we seem to have problems getting our younger players game time.

DevilRed

It's a shambles. Failing to sign Sancho for £108m can be forgiven, but allowing the club to go through yet another season of those cloggers stealing a wage is just ludicrous.

I keep forgetting Jones and Rojo are even still at the club.
If you had to take an educated guess, Rojo and Smalling are likely out the door as they have been training seperately.

Whether or not we will announce this before making any new signings is another matter all together. Especially one where we are negotiating what would likely be a british transfer record. I could be wrong on this and that the deals haven't been agreed yet, but I doubt we are in any hurry to announce that we have extra cash lying around.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The only position where we desperately need reinforcement is up front. Williams is better than most backup we've had in the LB position down the years and everywhere else is covered.

If we don't get Sancho then Ole will need to work on alternative formations should we hit injuries or get the most of our squad players like every other manager.
Trusting Williams is only asking for trouble. Shaw can't stay fit. He will definitely be out for a few weeks and then we will drop points because we didn't have a better backup.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It's funny how some think we will do business in the later parts of the window. We take 2/3 weeks generally to complete a transfer, VBD was an exception.

We are always just "monitoring" players rather than doing anything.

We agree personal terms but hardly can agree the fee.

I wouldn't be surprised if we only get VDB this window.

A complete lack of ambition shown by this board.
Yep. Very hopeful muppets on here. Nothing is gonna happen. This board has let another manager down.

SirScholes

You’re off your rocker mate we barely improved last season and got found out during the final few games
We are 1 injury away from trouble in every position apart from gk

if we don’t sign anyone it’ll be 1 step forward and 3 back

DevilRed

Trusting Williams is only asking for trouble. Shaw can't stay fit. He will definitely be out for a few weeks and then we will drop points because we didn't have a better backup.
To be fair, alot of people were championing for Williams to take Shaws place last year. Precisely because he was such a revelation at left back during Shaw's injury.

We really do have short memories on here.

GoldanoGraham

Signing VDB will ensure our over reliance on Bruno and Pogba doesn’t happen as much as last season - it’s just that right side that needs something....if it ain’t Sancho then it needs to be someone

Denis' cuff

If you had to take an educated guess, Rojo and Smalling are likely out the door as they have been training seperately.

Whether or not we will announce this before making any new signings is another matter all together. Especially one where we are negotiating what would likely be a british transfer record. I could be wrong on this and that the deals haven't been agreed yet, but I doubt we are in any hurry to announce that we have extra cash lying around.
I think the club are merely letting the two players know their place. They can't force other clubs to buy them or the players to accept lower wages.would like to be wrong here, but yes, any signings might well hinge on players leaving.

Im sure Ole is superficially compliant because he appears not to h@ve an aggressive nature but just remember Fergie’s “if there is a cow in a field...” and “no value “ remarks. He was equally compliant.

it appears “briefing” has replaced “DOF” as the latest buzz word around here. There are a lot of presumptions considering the club haven’t always “briefed” and are under no obl to do so.

just saying.