Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

shahzy

The rot started when the Glazers and Ed took over, since we replaced Ronaldo with Valencia in 2008 its been a steady downward trajectory.
I specifically meant for the first year or two when they weren't trying to rock the successful boat. But I don't disagree with your sentiment either

MrSingh2002

Woodwards good old "only bid for players we won't actually agree a deal for" trick again....

If Ed even spent a fraction of the time bidding for scouted players instead of briefing fake news to the media to try and control the media. We'd have done the overhaul by now.

Can't/won't sell a player. Can't/won't buy a player.

WPMUFC

Always good to see your top 4 rivals bolster their squads with quality talent and MUFC fans having to defend a rotation/squad signing as some kind of second coming.

We battled Chelsea for months to get back in the top 4. The result of that was Chelsea going out and buying Europe. MUFC get a rotation player and continue to do nothing else. I can't find the link, but someone posted a stat that everytime we get Champions league qualification, we half our spend the following window. The club is content with just getting top 4 and then sacking the coach when they drop out. That is MUFC post SAF

WPMUFC

We've done nothing to close a 30 point gap and the quality gap will once again show over a season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Some dicks on here excusing the owners saying Bruno came out of this summers budget. He should’ve come out of the previous summers budget but owners were too tight
I don’t think those people (I’m also saying it) are dicks excusing your owners, so you can cut that shit straight away. We are saying what was said at the time Bruno was purchased. Whether we like it or not the net budget appears to be around 75-80m more often than not.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
My honest view is, if we come 6th, woodward should be fired ahead of Ole
We could get embroiled in a tapping up scandal where Woody is caught red handed doing dodgy shit, the club docked 50 points as a result, relegated to the championship and that Teflon fecker still wouldn't be sacked.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Always good to see your top 4 rivals bolster their squads with quality talent and MUFC fans having to defend a rotation/squad signing as some kind of second coming.

We battled Chelsea for months to get back in the top 4. The result of that was Chelsea going out and buying Europe. MUFC get a rotation player and continue to do nothing else. I can't find the link, but someone posted a stat that everytime we get Champions league qualification, we half our spend the following window. The club is content with just getting top 4 and then sacking the coach when they drop out. That is MUFC post SAF

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We've done nothing to close a 30 point gap and the quality gap will once again show over a season.
Instead the gap has widened.

At the end of the day success for glazers is how much profit utd makes instead of trophies and titles. Woody's job is to ensure the former rather than the latter.

There's no other explanation other than believing that every person from the manager to the owner is thoroughly incompetent and an utter moron and i dont think thats the case.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I honestly don’t think we’ll win another PL or CL title until these parasitic Goblins feck off.
Two more seasons and we'd have gone a decade without winning the league. I expect us not to win the league for atleast another decade at the minimum. Most fans who are in there late teens or twenties will get married and have children and see them also get married before we see the trophy being lifted at old trafford.

Greasy fecks aren't leaving anytime soon until were on the brink of financial ruin.

Strelok

Tbh I'm not 100℅ sold on this yet. The season with Jose there were valid reasons for the board to slap an embargo on him. And this season it's Covid.

But the biggest reason is if this is true, imo the strategy is just too dumb. Failing CL means we lose money. Good players would be more reluctant to join us due to the lack of CL football. And selling clubs know we're in dire needs to strengthen with good cash. All that would lead to us overpaying or panic buying. Or both. Which is really stupid. Also after a bad season many of our players would be considered deadwoods, manager changing, squad rebuilding etc. Which all would cost a lot of money to fix.

If we spend big and wise enough for 2-3 consecutive seasons we should be able to build a good squad. Which would result in CL football or even title contender on a regular basis. Which make us much more attractive to players and sponsors. Selling clubs would not abuse us as well.

Building a good squad then improving from that is actually much more cost effective than the spend until we get top 4 then stop, rinse and repeat. If that's true then whoever comes with that idea, Ed or the Glazers is just completely dumb imo.

Suvvernmanc

No top 4 without 2 more players in my opinion. RW is the obvious one. Who's going to play LW if Rashford is out/playing shit? CB and LB is one we could strengthen as Shaw wont play every game.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Are you really that naive (to put it in nicer terms)? Who would ever publicly say they are willing to negotiate? What would they gain from that? Think a bit before going to those conclusions...
so we are back to the fact that you walk into a shop and offer £150 for a Porsche, expecting to the sales staff to agree. admit it, Woodward ha screwed up time and time again by thinking he can get a player on the cheap

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
:lol: “Just pay the asking price” is easily said when it’s not your money. Dortmund have been quite unreasonable. They probably didn’t want to sell up this season.
It's not Woodward's money either. You pay the asking price or you don't get the player: that's how Dortmund have always behave. But if you think Woodward is a canny businessman, so be it

georgipep

so we are back to the fact that you walk into a shop and offer £150 for a Porsche, expecting to the sales staff to agree. admit it, Woodward ha screwed up time and time again by thinking he can get a player on the cheap
You negotiate a Porsche too...omg...you are making all salesmen that meet you so happy! Bless you.

Withnail

Have you ever bought a house?

Just straight up paid the asking price did you?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We must surely have a sizeable chunk of the Sancho money in a piggy bank, and if we are not prepared to spend that on Sancho, my worry is, that we have a last day panic and blow tens of millions of a couple of mediocre stop gaps, players that were never in our plans anyway...

So instead of ending the window with one of World football's hottest prospects, we end up spending £70M on Josh King and David Brooks....!!

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Lots of houses and Porsche’s out there so there’s plenty of wiggle room in the deal. Only one Sancho so you have to pay the full fee.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Some dicks on here excusing the owners saying Bruno came out of this summers budget. He should’ve come out of the previous summers budget but owners were too tight
Solskjaer himself has said that signing Bruno lessened the Summer funds, but then what happened to the funds from the sale of Lukaku?
£70M quid at the end of last Summer, we were told that didn't fund the signing of Maguire, so why didn't it fund Bruno...?

Zen86

It's not Woodward's money either. You pay the asking price or you don't get the player: that's how Dortmund have always behave. But if you think Woodward is a canny businessman, so be it
“Pay the asking price”. Sure. That’s a good strategy to transfers. No club could possibly take advantage of that philosophy :rolleyes:

acrebo

Paying the price of a good you want is usually how it works yes
Professional footballers aren't "goods" in a retail outlet, FFS.

Multi-million pound contracts are massively complex and always negotiated to death, that's just the way it is. I'm as frustrated as everyone else that we're here, yet again, staring at the season beginning without a clear view as to what our squad looks like, but it's never (very rarely, unless we're talking about peanuts or an absolute bargain...) as simple as just paying the quoted price.

Okey

Instead the gap has widened.

At the end of the day success for glazers is how much profit utd makes instead of trophies and titles. Woody's job is to ensure the former rather than the latter.

There's no other explanation other than believing that every person from the manager to the owner is thoroughly incompetent and an utter moron and i dont think thats the case.
Simple, straightforward explanation of United today. The owners and the fans define success differently. We're stuck, basically. Something will have to give at some point...

pacifictheme

The united Instagram has quote oles comments around new signing and how much the fans want them. Makes me think we will sign someone because why would they highlight it if we weren't?

Godfather

Maybe when your buying your tin of beans from Aldi, yes. Perhaps football transfers for hundreds of millions are slightly more complex though.
We knew exactly the amount Dortmund wanted from the start. Couldn't bring it up and therefore should have looked for alternatives. I suspect though we never intended to spend more money after VdB anyway.

Godfather

Professional footballers aren't "goods" in a retail outlet, FFS.

Multi-million pound contracts are massively complex and always negotiated to death, that's just the way it is. I'm as frustrated as everyone else that we're here, yet again, staring at the season beginning without a clear view as to what our squad looks like, but it's never (very rarely, unless we're talking about peanuts or an absolute bargain...) as simple as just paying the quoted price.
Thanks for stating the obvious. Point is Dortmund said from the start what they wanted for him. And if we can't pay it he stays. We obviously can't and still haven't looked for alternatives to strengthen our right side leaving us with a paper thin squad again. It's just terrible management all around and there's simply no two ways about it.

Baneofthegame

There’s an odd piece on SSN about the Bale transfer where James Cooper said we weren’t interested due to Bale being a left sided player and he would be taking Rashfords place.

What sort of madness is this claim?

Withnail

Thanks for stating the obvious. Point is Dortmund said from the start what they wanted for him. And if we can't pay it he stays. We obviously can't and still haven't looked for alternatives to strengthen our right side leaving us with a paper thin squad again. It's just terrible management all around and there's simply no two ways about it.
You can't say that with any certainty.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
:lol: “Just pay the asking price” is easily said when it’s not your money. Dortmund have been quite unreasonable. They probably didn’t want to sell up this season.
TBF it's not the Glazer's money either. They bought us on debt using the club as a collateral.

Irrespective of that, no one expected us to buy Sancho. All we expected is for the club to invest on decent players that would improve the squad. It's called progression. The Glazer's bought United when we were the best club in the UK and one of the best clubs in Europe. They have a moral obligation to make sure that we invest on enough players to one day return to that level once again. The club's money is not all about paying their debt, their salaries and their dividends.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Leverkusen said they wanted more for Havertz than what Chelsea paid, Bayern with Thiago etc etc.

Would you always pay the asking price for a house, car etc? Are you that easy to negotiate with?

How do you know we haven't looked for alternatives when we're still most likely chasing the first choice?