Wot, no transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We'll see movement after the world cup.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't think we can buy until we sell. Squad is already bloated.
Early to give a definitive opinion but it's troubling how poor we are at moving players on.
Other than Blind and Darmian who else can we sell? Those who looked nailed on the leave (Fellaini and Shaw) now look like they're staying

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
We won't be buying another RB, given that Valencia (club captain), is 1st choice and Dalot/Darmian and 2nd/3rd.
Back up to Lukaku - we already have Rashford and if necessary, Martial can step in.
CM - we bought Fred, to replace Carrick and Fellaini re-signed.

That leaves RW and LB - these are 2 players I so expect to see purchased in the next few weeks.
If we start the season without the above 2 players, we won't be fighting for the league title.
We need way more than those 2 players.

We can’t go into the new season with Valencia and young they just aren’t good enough anymore, full backs are such a vital position in teams now and they both offer nothing going forward we won’t even get top 4 never mind challenge for title unless at least one is replaced

A Quality RW, CM, LB and decent back up ST are 100% must buy positions If we want to achieve anything otherwise it’s going to be the same old story

Last edited:

wolvored

We have a young kid who may or may notbe the next Bale and a hard working addition to the middle. There is still a lot of room for improvement. This window will show if we are a football team after winning the league, or a business after finishing top 4. A RW and at least an attacking FB is required as a bare minimum if were still a football team going for the league.

Sanche7

LB, RW & Mandzukic and I'll be happy
Add a CB and a young CM, that would be fantastic but I expect us to sign only a LB and CB

Andersons Dietician

To me, everything points to a limited budget. The fact we have reportedly been haggling over the Darmian fee is an indicator of this. We also elected to give a new contract to fellaini rather than invest in another £40m+ CM, something City would not hesitate about doing.
I’m sure there is a budget but the likely hood is we are looking at a player like Bale or Dybala who are probably valued north of 120mil. If we are looking to do buisness elsewhere then we had to save money somewhere, hence Fellaini.

Also you mention City, they aren’t really shopping in that sort of market are they. For that sort of money they got Sane,KDB and Jesus for around 130mil (seen a few different prices)

Sparky Rhiwabon

I’m sure that Ed is enjoying the World Cup like the rest of us, give him a break!

It’s going to be difficult this year with the World Cup and the transfer window closing early.

MUFC OK

I’m sure there is a budget but the likely hood is we are looking at a player like Bale or Dybala who are probably valued north of 120mil. If we are looking to do buisness elsewhere then we had to save money somewhere, hence Fellaini.

Also you mention City, they aren’t really shopping in that sort of market are they. For that sort of money they got Sane,KDB and Jesus for around 130mil (seen a few different prices)
First part: I hope you are right, but I'm sceptical.

As for City my point is they would spend £40m on a squad option. They have signed the likes of Bernado Silva £45m, Laporte £58m, Sane £45m, Gundogan £25m, plus wages for all. All of which were squad players when bought, this is why they have strength in depth. They are likely to add mahrez this summer and he wont be a guaranteed starter.

Our unwillingness to deploy this kind of approach is why we have resigned fellaini.

Jezpeza

I think there will be more activity. Problem is when selling people like Darmian etc is when you buy from abroad as a Premier League team you pay premiums. When you sell abroad you get peanuts, unless to the Chinese leagues. Let's face it, I've seen fans on this forum speculating how we can get 15 million for Darmian, 25 for Blind. We won't. Neither of them will fetch over 10 mil. We'll hardly get anything for them it's more likely going to be a cheap sale to get them off the wage bill. And it's poor tactics to announce players as surplus to requirements all over the media and then expect bumper transfer fees

Castia

Looks like City are starting to move, reports claim both Mahrez and Jorginho will sign this week.

Jezpeza

Looks like City are starting to move, reports claim both Mahrez and Jorginho will sign this week.
Yeah that's been coming for a while. I expect a lot of announcements of deals that had been agreed in principle now the 1st of July is behind us.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We renewed Fellaini's contract and will soon sign Grant.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We renewed Fellaini's contract and will soon sign Grant.
Grant is a 3rd choice keeper, behind DDG and Romero.
I think what we want to see are exciting signings which can take us to the next level.
A 3rd choice GK, who probably won't ever play a game for us, is a non story.

Alfie092

Most likely not going to happen, but say we only added Bale or Ronaldo to our squad, would you guys be happy or disappointed?

IrishMcD

Most likely not going to happen, but say we only added Bale or Ronaldo to our squad, would you guys be happy or disappointed?
Don't think anyone would be happy. Ronaldo, as amazing as he is, wouldn't fix any of our problem positions as he is a number 9 now. Bale, while he would be brilliant when fit, has injury issues and we could be back to square one if he picked up another long term injury. We need a starting LB, RB, CB, CM and RW in my opinion. Not gonna happen but it's what I feel we need to be one of the big teams (not talking about club size before someone accuses me of that) in real contention for the big prizes again.

Fer

Don't think anyone would be happy. Ronaldo, as amazing as he is, wouldn't fix any of our problem positions as he is a number 9 now. Bale, while he would be brilliant when fit, has injury issues and we could be back to square one if he picked up another long term injury. We need a starting LB, RB, CB, CM and RW in my opinion. Not gonna happen but it's what I feel we need to be one of the big teams (not talking about club size before someone accuses me of that) in real contention for the big prizes again.
IMO Mourinho signed Fred to start him next to Pogba and Matic. Also, he re-sign Fellaini to use him with Herrera as a cover. McTominay and Pereira would have some minutes too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mou uses Lingard as the most advanced midfield in some games. Lingard could be better through the center than on the wing.

IrishMcD

IMO Mourinho signed Fred to start him next to Pogba and Matic. Also, he re-sign Fellaini to use him with Herrera as a cover. McTominay and Pereira would have some minutes too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mou uses Lingard as the most advanced midfield in some games. Lingard could be better through the center than on the wing.
No doubt that's what Jose feels but I think we need another CM that is a starter in most games, just my opinion. Think Matic faded badly during the previous season. Fred is an upgrade on Herrera but not by much. McTom and Pereira aren't good enough if we have real aspersions of making it back to the top. They wouldn't be rotating in and out of PSG, Madrid, Barca, City, Juve, Bayern etc

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Grant is a 3rd choice keeper, behind DDG and Romero.
I think what we want to see are exciting signings which can take us to the next level.
A 3rd choice GK, who probably won't ever play a game for us, is a non story.
I have mixed feelings on this tbh

On a positive note the Dalot, Fred and Grant signings stinks of Juventus transfer policy during its golden age. What does that consist off? Well its simple. Juventus would sign players whpm they believe they could fit in a role they need irrespective of age or origins as long as they are financially viable. You'll see them sign nobodies with potential like Pogba or Coman, rising stars like Dybala and Rugani, golden oldies on a free or ridiculously cheap like Alves, Evra or Pirlo and players on loan like Morata and Howedes. No one is too low for Juventus.

On a negative note I see little wisdom in this signing. We've got so many promising keepers so there's nothing wrong in keeping one of them at least until Romero gets fit.

Hamadovich86

With about 5 weeks left in the transfer window there is still time to bring in players but considering that the team should be back together on the 15th (non world cup players) for the tour I am surprised by the lack of persistent rumors about incoming transfers. There is some news on the potential outgoing players but pretty much nothing on the opposite front. This is simply strange for United who used to be linked with every player and was the case until the start of the world cup.

All I know is the players that we brought in so far will not bridge the gap between us and city, especially when they are going about strengthening themselves (Jorginho, Mahrez). The direction of the club in this window seems uncertain and its making me nervous tbh.

Alfie092

Fully agree with you on that! If I was to be honest, I am done with signing marquee names, they just tend to flop for us! I want us to fix our problem positions first. That includes RB, LB, CB, CM and a RW as you said. Dalot isn't ready as yet I think and hope I am proved wrong and he can become our number 1 RB this season. LB is needed especially if Young is to remain our number 1 LB! Would love us to sign an experienced CB, ideally with leadership qualities. Don't think we will sign another midfielder now, especially with Fellaini staying. RW, we need a player there and that's probably the position where if we were to sign a marquee player then that would be it.

So from the positions we need signings to come straight into the starting lineup, then only CM is filled but then I believe we need 2 CM's. Think from still needing a RB, LB, CB and CM, only 2 of those would be filled. If that was the case then I would go for a LB and a RW as higher priority.

Jezpeza

Fully agree with you on that! If I was to be honest, I am done with signing marquee names, they just tend to flop for us! I want us to fix our problem positions first. That includes RB, LB, CB, CM and a RW as you said. Dalot isn't ready as yet I think and hope I am proved wrong and he can become our number 1 RB this season. LB is needed especially if Young is to remain our number 1 LB! Would love us to sign an experienced CB, ideally with leadership qualities. Don't think we will sign another midfielder now, especially with Fellaini staying. RW, we need a player there and that's probably the position where if we were to sign a marquee player then that would be it.

So from the positions we need signings to come straight into the starting lineup, then only CM is filled but then I believe we need 2 CM's. Think from still needing a RB, LB, CB and CM, only 2 of those would be filled. If that was the case then I would go for a LB and a RW as higher priority.
I agree with what you say about marquees. I would rather we spend our funds buying decent young prospects like tierney and odriozola, for some names I've seen linked. Looks like juve want crazy money for Sandro so think we've been priced out. Wing backs are priority.

Do you not think Fred, matic, mctominay, Herrera, Fellaini, pogba, blind, lingard and Mata is enough stock in cm? That's 9 players for 3 positions? Even though I know some of them are not ideal

dannyrhinos89

It’s so depressing. We should’ve been all over mahrez for our RW, if they sign Jorginho and him city will walk the league again and probably shatter all their records from last season.

We better have some deals pre-agreed or it’s going to be a terrible season.

Infra-red

It’s so depressing. We should’ve been all over mahrez for our RW, if they sign Jorginho and him city will walk the league again and probably shatter all their records from last season.

Likely would have happened anyway.

I don't think Mahrez is a massive upgrade on Sterling/Silva, nor Jorginho on Fernandinho.

Jezpeza

I don't think Mahrez is a massive upgrade on Sterling/Silva, nor Jorginho on Fernandinho.
Not saying they will line up like this but:

Ederson

Walker kompany otamendi Mendy

Gundogan silva

Sterling de brunye sane

Ageuro

Bravo

Danilo stones Laporte Delph

Jorginho Fernandinho

Mahrez foden b silva

Jesus

That's if they only buy those two. That's some strength in depth in my opinion, not really full of square pegs in round holes And to topple them without much of a pre season because of World Cup will be some ask for any team

Alfie092

I agree with what you say about marquees. I would rather we spend our funds buying decent young prospects like tierney and odriozola, for some names I've seen linked. Looks like juve want crazy money for Sandro so think we've been priced out. Wing backs are priority.

Do you not think Fred, matic, mctominay, Herrera, Fellaini, pogba, blind, lingard and Mata is enough stock in cm? That's 9 players for 3 positions? Even though I know some of them are not ideal
Well Mata normally plays at RW, Blind never plays, let alone in midfielder, so I expect him to be sold. I think we would be better off sending McTominay out on loan and getting in another CM but don't see it happening.

dannyrhinos89

True but Liverpool are only a keeper away from being nearest challengers. Spurs will be thereabouts. I think us, Chelsea and Arsenal are going to be fighting for 4-6 place next season.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
True but Liverpool are only a keeper away from being nearest challengers. Spurs will be thereabouts. I think us, Chelsea and Arsenal are going to be fighting for 4-6 place next season.
Let me guess, Liverpool play amazing football and got to the CL final with Milner so theyll be amazing next season right?

Unfortunately for them, the league isn't decided using moral victories but on winning points. Jurgen Klopp has produced a Liverpool team that shits it's arse whenever pressured, regularly capitulating. And no, Van Dyke has not solved this, because defense is not about individuals but a good structure (Liverpool capitulated against West Brom with Van Dyke).

Until Klopp sorts out his game management and organization, Liverpool will regularly concede late goals. He doesn't have the luxury of spending £300m on a whole new backline to cover up his weaknesses.

Last edited:

roseguy64

Think we'll only make 2-3 more signings. One being Grant. We'll also sign either a RW or a ST. The other potential signing is a LB or CB depending on outgoings.

Canagel

I am now starting to feel concerned about our transfer business. There's been nothing after Dalot and Fred and tbh we still need a lot of strengthening to do otherwise we will fall behind very quickly. We need to wake up. Right now this squad is not good enough to win the PL and instead Chelsea and Arsenal will close the gap on us and we will have a fight to remain in top 4. Attacking LB and RW are minimum requirements to keep our position in the table let alone to catch City. To really improve and challenge for the PL and CL we need to add another CB and CM but I don't see that happening.

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

They're gonna walk the league anyway, it's what Pep does. Monotonous winning of leagues.

City not winning it isn't dependant on them, it's dependant on the rest of the league learning the lessons from last season and approaching them differently and that won't happen so they'll win most games in exactly the same fashion.

It's only Europe that really matters with Pep and that's where he falters (at least, at the minute).

Infra-red

They're gonna walk the league anyway, it's what Pep does. Monotonous winning of leagues.

City not winning it isn't dependant on them, it's dependant on the rest of the league learning the lessons from last season and approaching them differently and that won't happen so they'll win most games in exactly the same fashion.

It's only Europe that really matters with Pep and that's where he falters (at least, at the minute).
Agreed, I fully expect a double-digit points margin of victory for City again.

Of the rest of the 'big six', Liverpool have arguably made the biggest upgrade to their side in the summer thus far, but it's still relatively early. As things stand I'd expect a pretty close battle for 2nd-6th.

ROFLUTION

I like Fellaini renewing, but it's also a conservative sign that signals we're playing it safe and maybe also that we're moving on to other (big) targets.

Gonna be an intense and chaotic ending with a lot of clubs getting disappointed or getting desperate with the skewed deadlines and possibly a PSG's FFP bomb.

FIFA has a lot of responsibility in how and WHEN they announce potential FFP regulations on PSG. It could push Neymar to Real Madrid due to Spain and their later deadline England, but also leave a lot of holes / left over players, that has a butterfly-effect on other things. It can get very political behind the scenes.

ROFLUTION

At the moment: City looks the winner. No one's gaining any ground transfer-wise on them. Woodward must be sending a lot of ridiculous e-mails to Gareth Bale right now :lol:

ROFLUTION

As a football-player, I still think Ronaldo's great. But how many years does he have in him? Is it worth all the bullshit focus with him, we'd have to suffer? I don't think it is.

The guy has his own CR7 hotel in Madeira where the toilet-mirrors looks like this :lol:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Right 2 days without world cup football. Now we need a good transfer to start up.

Sanche7

Right 2 days without world cup football. Now we need a good transfer to start up.
Calm down you Muppet, we just signed the best third GK in the world yesterday
Don't think we will be seeing any action till the WC ends.

Zlatattack

First part: I hope you are right, but I'm sceptical.

As for City my point is they would spend £40m on a squad option. They have signed the likes of Bernado Silva £45m, Laporte £58m, Sane £45m, Gundogan £25m, plus wages for all. All of which were squad players when bought, this is why they have strength in depth. They are likely to add mahrez this summer and he wont be a guaranteed starter.

Our unwillingness to deploy this kind of approach is why we have resigned fellaini.
Agree. Thats why we won't catch them this year, probably not next year either.

Status
Not open for further replies.