Would Ander Herrera get in this team?

shahzy

He does Mctominay's role, except better. So yes he would get in. Not sure why people are doubting this.

mu4c_20le

I was never a big fan of his. I always felt he wasn't strong enough defensively or good enough on the ball. He wasn't bad just not great. In the end his mobility was used to play as a defensive mid to cover our other defensive mid in matic who couldn't run.Hed of been a good player to have more so under ole than jose. Although not great in the tackle he nipped away at players heels. He had a good tempo he played at. Not a regular for me but certainly would have played a part this season before we upgrade.
This. People tend to remember his best performances, yet forgetting the 10 or so average ones in between where he goes quiet. Both Fred and Mctominay seem to have a better engine than him, are influential for the entire match, and more importantly they are actually hard and not just act like it. Fred's passing is getting better and better so I don't really miss Ander, though I appreciated his time here. Poor guy has been warming the bench over in France, they are playing a 17 year old over him.

Strelok

At the moment no, maybe the big matches imo.

I really like him however he's pretty no good going forward tbh. Most of his passes were backward or sideway. And he can't dribble.

He offered us energy, good pressing and was really good at winning the ball back and intercepting counters. Which is what McT and Fred can adequately offer now, maybe not as good as him but they're doing fine I think. And they're much better than him at moving the ball forward imo.

Champagne Football

Fred and McTominay are a level above Herrera, maybe not in terms of skill, but in terms of consistency. Fred looks lost when McTominay is injured.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
How’s Herrera doing at PSG anyway?
Decent with limited appearances and mostly a squad player in his time at the club, Paris Saint-Germain have a wealth of options in midfield positions after this year's business/fortification. Verratti, Gueye, Paredes, as well as Di María, Marquinhos, Sarabia and Draxler in certain setups. Also, Ander has suffered a few injuries, so he's been a transient figure in the team wrt. availability...

via: transfermarkt.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin would get minutes currently.

If we had Pogba, McTominay and Fred all fit and playing he’d be on the bench ahead of Matic for McTominay’s spot. Pereira as limited as he is would still be ahead of him if Fred or Pogba were out because he has a much better delivery in the final third.

izec

Fred and McTominay are a level above Herrera, maybe not in terms of skill, but in terms of consistency. Fred looks lost when McTominay is injured.
That is a weird opinion. Herrera was usually consistent in the last few seasons. Much more than Fred or McTominay, who are both still improving.

Herrera was not the greatest in attack, but in terms of winning the ball back, pressing, keeping possession, decision making and intelligence, he was lightyears ahead of our current options. Has also something to do with age and experience

Champagne Football

You just torpedo'd your own point. Fred's consistency is terrible, he can only play well next to McTominay
Exactly what I said. Fred has been very impressive of late, and consistent when he has the warrior McTominay to share the workload with. Playing next to Matic is like playing next to a poor man's Fellaini.

Like Herrera, neither one of them offers a goal threat or a killer pass that can unlock a defense, but I'd have Fred and McTominay above Herrera easily, as they are both physically built to handle the demands of playing 2 games a week in the Premier league in Central midfield, whereas Herrara is not, hence being brilliant 1 game then disappearing for the next 4 in a row, as he always did.

Ekeke

Exactly what I said. Fred has been very impressive of late, and consistent when he has the warrior McTominay to share the workload with. Playing next to Matic is like playing next to a poor man's Fellaini.

Like Herrera, neither one of them offers a goal threat or a killer pass that can unlock a defense, but I'd have Fred and McTominay above Herrera easily, as they are both physically built to handle the demands of playing 2 games a week in the Premier league in Central midfield, whereas Herrara is not, hence being brilliant 1 game then disappearing for the next 4 in a row, as he always did.
Ander scored some goals and was our best big match player. He was on fire 9/10 times in the big matches

The playing next to Matic isnt an excuse when Ander was doing his job for him every week, so never got to play next to a better player

Champagne Football

Ander scored some goals and was our best big match player. He was on fire 9/10 times in the big matches

The playing next to Matic isnt an excuse when Ander was doing his job for him every week, so never got to play next to a better player
The current version of Matic, is a shadow of the average player he was back then.

Ander had some great games. He's a very talented player for a less demanding league. I just personally feel that he didn't have the mental strength or physical attributes to be a consistent performer at a club like Utd. PSG have brought him in to play the less important games, when their first teamers need a rest.

Rockets Redglare

The current version of Matic, is a shadow of the average player he was back then.

Ander had some great games. He's a very talented player for a less demanding league. I just personally feel that he didn't have the mental strength or physical attributes to be a consistent performer at a club like Utd. PSG have brought him in to play the less important games, when their first teamers need a rest.
He definitely had the mental strength.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Genuinely believe that Herrera would have made a significant impact on the team and improved us this season.

Vastly underrated player on here in my opinion.

Ekeke

I think he was lightweight, the same problem Fred has. But he was better at coming away with the ball regardless, tougher than Fred who gets beaten with a dribble often.

-Supreme-

Right now with our current injuries? Yes he would

But is he worth £300k+ a week as a squad player? Hell no

mu4c_20le

Genuinely believe that Herrera would have made a significant impact on the team and improved us this season.
Since we didn't bother replacing him and Fellaini, that's hardly difficult when it's Herrera vs no one.

Vastly underrated player on here in my opinion.
Just because some of us don't rate him like a Kante doesn't mean he's underrated. My opinion of him hasn't changed, jack of all trades, master of none. If he was such an amazing ball winner (like against chelsea, all the time) then we wouldn't have signed Matic, nor let him run his contract down.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Of course he would. He played in most of your best wins last year.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
McTom is good. Your winning ratio seems to be linked with him in the team. Can still improve on aspects. Don't see the fuss with Fred still.

Ultimately last season when OGS came in you had that 10 game winning streak with Matic-Herrera-Pogba as the midfield combination.

Way you could've kept him would to be to release likes of Mata and Ashley Young last summer and with their freed up wages given Herrera a little more although maybe not as much as he was demanding.

When did Mata last start a league game, seemed a pointless renewal to me. Everyone can see he's past his best now although guess Ole likes his experience around the place.

mu4c_20le

Don't want to call him greedy as he's been a servant for over five years, but can't help but feel he and his agent tried to take advantage of our broken wage structure, and secure one nice big final paycheck for himself as he starts to decline. Mata actually took a pay cut and is on less than half the wages he was asking for. Anyways, the point of this thread isn't whether or not we should've kept him, I'm pretty sure what OP meant is whether or not he could break into our first XI when Fred and Mctominay were on the top of their game before Arsenal. Otherwise this thread would just get pointlessly bumped up every time we play poorly and moan about not keeping him, like the Lukaku thread

Web of Bissaka

What's missing from the McFred partnership is the creativity at the final third.
Not a huge problem if Pogba play (his inconsistency and only relying on him are problems though) or our number 10 trio are pulling their strings consistently.
They don't.

Herrera can do everything well with good consistency, even if he's a jack of all, it's there.

Ship sailed and he's getting injury prone. But definitely will get in this team.

Pughnichi

I never understood how he went from player of the season...to benched...under the same manager. It was madness

SambaBoy

Fred and McTominay have proven themselves to be decent options this season but Herrera is still better than both.

Strelok

We once had a counter attack and Herrera got the ball. Rashford or Martial I can't remember made a rush toward the goal. And Herrera, after running with the ball all the way close to their final third decided to turn around and pass the ball back all the way to our defence. At that moment my thought was exactly wtf is wrong with this guy.

I really like Herrera but start him over the current Fred or McT? Hell no tbh.