Would Ander Herrera get in this team?

Josep Dowling

He's been injured most of the time. He started their version of the Community Shield, came off injured and missed the first four league games. Was subbed on for PSG's fifth league game then subbed on again in the Champions League against Real Madrid. He started the next couple of league games, left on the bench for the eighth game, then subbed on again in the Champions League. He then started four league games in a row including a Champions League game before succumbing to injury, missing eight games and has just returned as an unused sub for their last league game.
Pretty much summed up his career here. Was injury prone a lot.

Ekeke

Yes obviously. Better than Fred and a combination of him and McTominay would help us get a clean sheet once in a while

ThinkTank@Cafe

Fred this season. 15 games. EPL only.

tackles: 28, recoveries: 125, interceptions : 20, duels won/lost: 73/93, passes per game 56.13.

McT. 17 games. EP

tackles: 38, recoveries: 125, interceptions: 23, duels won/lost: 140/104, passes per game 47.47

Ander last season. 22 apps in EPL.
Tackles: 54, recoveries: 114, interceptions: 37, duels won/lost: 91/89, passes per game: 44.55.

Ander is worse than Fred in build up phase, worse than both Fred and McT in winning possession back, and defensively worse than McT.

The only stat where he is better is tackles which is understandable because we spent more time defending last season.

Ole should be credited for his work on counter pressing which was completely non existent under Mourinho.

it is hard to say whether AH would go into current midfield, but these stats suggest he was not better in his overall play than any of McFred. we miss him badly as a good option thought

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I haven’t seen much of PSGthis season, so I don’t know how he’s doing, but based on his previous performances, he would be a certain starter ahead of either McTominay or Fred. If they both will continue to improve, then maybe it won’t be true in the future.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We would be the same with him.

LInkash

Seems like it was a good thing we got rid of him as he has been injured most of the time. It would be even worse in our more physical league.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ridiculous question, he is easily better than both McTominay and Fred

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was thinking about him the other day and thought that he’s not really what we’re missing. His industry and fight has been replaced by McTominay and he was never the most creative player.

If he was still here we’d still have the same creativity issues against smaller teams.

Acole9

Outstanding
No we let him go because he wasn't good enough, now playing for the PSG reserves.

RedStarUnited

Who actually cares? He'd hardly change our fortunes, so it's a bit moot.
We neee to stop this notion that a player needs to be a game changer alone.

Hate to say it but look at Liverpool. Henderson or Gini W ate not game changers.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We neee to stop this notion that a player needs to be a game changer alone.

Hate to say it but look at Liverpool. Henderson or Gini W ate not game changers.
You're not seriously putting their success down to Henderson and Gini are you? Herrera would not add anything different that Fred or Scott bring to our midfield.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
At the beginning of the season, I highlighted his industry. He had the most successful tackles, ball wins, distance covered and fouls drawn than other midfielder. I expected us to struggle to replace him when you compared his numbers to Fred/Scott/Matic from the previous season. Guess what happened? Fred and Scott both elevated to a level even beyond Herrera. They've not only replaced him but provided an upgrade to him.

So objectively - no Herrera would not get in over Scott/Fred unless one of them is injured.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We've had Pereira, Matic, Mata and Lingard playing as one of the two central midfielders at various points this season, so whether he'd get in ahead of McTominay or Fred or not, he'd definitely be getting games.

RUCK4444

I feel Scott has the potential to be an upgrade on Herrera, I thought he was decent when he was here but nothing more.

If anything Fred on his current form is a more dynamic and some of his performances recently were only matched a handful of times by Herrera imo.

Always thought he was the least Spanish-yet-actually-Spanish midfielder I’ve ever seen.

Paul_Scholes18

He would certainly be great to have around the squad. It is not much between him and Fred/Mctominay at the moment. They have different qualities, but all of them are great at defending and often perform well in big games.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I feel Scott has the potential to be an upgrade on Herrera, I thought he was decent when he was here but nothing more.

If anything Fred on his current form is a more dynamic and some of his performances recently were only matched a handful of times by Herrera imo.

Always thought he was the least Spanish-yet-actually-Spanish midfielder I’ve ever seen.
Exactly - I appreciated Herrera on his big game plays but still this was much more a defensive marking type game usually on one o special player a game like keeping tags on Hazard.

I hardly saw him do anything else except score an occasional goal. Such an overrated player.

432JuanMata

He is a above average midfielder with a great engine and passion. He would easily start for us which says all you need to know about our midfield.
Fred and McSauce have be good this season but I think most people have forgot what a top CM looks like as it’s easily our weakest position filled with Average players

I was thinking about him the other day and thought that he’s not really what we’re missing. His industry and fight has been replaced by McTominay and he was never the most creative player.

If he was still here we’d still have the same creativity issues against smaller teams.
Aye.

And to add to that if you were to offer us a chance to sign Ander Herrera as our only midfield addition in 2020, we'd be fecking idiots to take it. We need a much better player than Ander Herrera to come in there.

Kag

With a blindfold on.

Much better than any midfielder at the club apart from Pogba, which isn’t hard.

dev1l

Any follows French football or PSG? How did Herrera fare this season?

Gopher Brown

Now we've had time for reflection after Ander Herrera left the club. Would he get into the first team? Fred and McTominay look very solid at the moment and now Pogba is trying to force his way back in. What do you think?
I’m not sure Pogba has to try very hard to get himself back in the team. As soon as he’s fit he’ll be straight back in.
Herrera was one of these players who was probably better than what we have but isn’t destined to be an important part of a title winning side. We have quite a few of these types though.

Tyrion

Yes, he's better than McT and Fred. I dont get why we sold him.

Selling Lukaku allowed us to play Martial and Rashford in their best positions but selling Herrera without a replacement seemed self-sabotage.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd take Herrera over Matic and Pereira, and he can probably do everything Fred is currently doing. He'd definitely be a good option for us in a couple of roles, but he chose to run his contract down to be a well paid benchwarmer, so feck him.

Doesn't matter how good a player is if they don't want to be here.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yes, he's better than McT and Fred. I dont get why we sold him.

Selling Lukaku allowed us to play Martial and Rashford in their best positions but selling Herrera without a replacement seemed self-sabotage.
We didn't. Once he had decided to go, we had no say in the matter.