Would Ander Herrera get in this team?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Herrera couldn't do what Fred did tonight, simples. Was always massively overrated for having a superb attitude.
It's absolutely nuts isn't it? All I ever saw him do is chase after Hazard for 90 mins to try & keep him in his pocket whilst in another matcg occasionally shooting from 30 meters out. Literally nothing else.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yes, he is still better than Mctominay, Fred and Matic. But it doesn't matter.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

People have forgotten how unbalanced he can be in midfield & to me he lacked any sort of coordination and passing ability.
He showed tenacity in big games and passion as well a good defensive game & that was his best area - really nothing much more.

Mctomminay is much more of a direct player & sometimes looks like a great box to box player and sometimes looks great just sitting back as a DM.

Herrera to me just chased after players with the ball and ran with the ball at his feet before kicking it.

Fred is much better as well & his turns away from a press and ability to make a good forward pass that helps an attack is better than anything herrera ever did.

Champagne Football

McFredinay are clearly both a level above Herrera. Herrera only turned up in 2 out of every 10 games, was always injured, and mostly looked like a terrified 15 year old making his debut in a man's world.

PSG are realizing they've been absolutely mugged paying 300,000 a week wages, for a squad player who is not better than the kids they have in their academy. Fair play to Herrera for taking them to the cleaners.

I'm glad he's gone as he fits into that bracket of mentally fragile inconsistent players, who we bought truck loads of after Fergie quit, who are not easy to move on once they get cosy here.

Andrew Richmond

Decent enough player but is on ridiculous money at PSG. Only 6 appearances to date for PSG so earning a million plus per game given what he earns per week.

norm87cro

Yeah he would. But as a great squad option not a superstar 11 choice we all hope to sign in january

Mcking

I'd say Fred is better by virtue of being more influential with the ball - he's shown to be capable of running a midfield. McTominay is worse than Herrera though, apart from headers and a bit of ball carrying.

Wanderlust_09

This is such a pointless thread, but since I see many people having short term memories I have to say this.

Herrera was among our only good signings since SAF retired and the man himself would have loved to have Herrera in his squad.
There was a clear difference between when he played for us and when he didn't.

He was not only tenacious in tackling and covering ground, but also had some nice through balls in him. We can't forget the passes he laid out for Mata vs Liverpool, Rashford vs Chelsea, Mkhitaryan vs Tottenham etc.
He could very well be a B2B or a tackling DM. Herrera was pathetic in games in which he played in a duo with Matic and tasked to create chances, which of course he is not good at.
McTominay is still inferior to what Herrera gave us, but he is young and could be like him at his peak, except for the through balls.
Fred clearly offers something more than what Herrera did, he is a much better passer than Herrera and also is more press resistant.
Anyway, now that Herrera is gone, but I would remember him as one of our only consistent performers and good signings over the past 5 years. If you shit post on him, then you pretty much have to shit post on the entire squad.

RedStarUnited

You're not seriously putting their success down to Henderson and Gini are you? Herrera would not add anything different that Fred or Scott bring to our midfield.
No I am not, which is my point. Every part of that Liverpool team is vital to the end goal of them being a great team right now.

This is such a pointless thread, but since I see many people having short term memories I have to say this.

Herrera was among our only good signings since SAF retired and the man himself would have loved to have Herrera in his squad.
There was a clear difference between when he played for us and when he didn't.
That's selective memory for you because he was "up for it" in the big games. Ander was distinctly average and often poor for 75% of his time here. The idea there was a clear difference between when he played for us and when he didn't isn't is probably true for his final 8 months playing here and tells you more about the state of our squad than it does Herrera.

As for Fergie would've loved him, I'm not so sure about that, for the most part Fergie wanted people in his centre mid who could control games, even his "destroyers" were able to control a game, Ince, Keane, Robson.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I said at the time we were right no to cave into demands of a lengthy contract with high wages for a 29 year old Herrera and that’s only going to prove more and more correct.

He’s always had his limitations and his greatest asset is something that will age the worst - his engine.

McTominay has already put in a few performances at the same level Herrera achieved and he’s much younger and has more to his all round game.

It was never a mistake to let him go, the mistake was failing to get an additional body in to keep the numbers up. Ideally one with excellent creativity because he’s already been replaced as a tenacious CM.

lex talionis

Of course he would. But he's gone and as much as I hated to see him go it was the right decision let Ander go.

MalcolmTucker

I liked him and I felt he was severely underused during his time here but ultimately he wasn't good enough to justify a big, long-term contract as an over 30 player.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yes. The only man who has a wife that looks exactly just like him.

You can't deny his quality.

Devil may care

I think the point is he would have been a much better option to have than Matic, Fred is playing really well and McTominay has improved this season but neither should be viewed as untouchable, we need 2 CM's to compete with them as well as rotate, we'd have only needed one had we kept Herrara.

Wanderlust_09

That's selective memory for you because he was "up for it" in the big games. Ander was distinctly average and often poor for 75% of his time here. The idea there was a clear difference between when he played for us and when he didn't isn't is probably true for his final 8 months playing here and tells you more about the state of our squad than it does Herrera.

As for Fergie would've loved him, I'm not so sure about that, for the most part Fergie wanted people in his centre mid who could control games, even his "destroyers" were able to control a game, Ince, Keane, Robson.
What a joke. I hope you are not talking about some other player.
Herrera was more than average and decent in his first 3 seasons.
In the 14/15 season he was played in a variety of roles,CAM, Box to Box and CDM roles.
He had 13 and 11 G+A in his first 2 seasons inspite of playing just around 2000 minutes.
He was heavily involved in both those mini spells we had under LVG in Dec 14 and Spring of 15, forming triangles with Valenica and Mata on the rigth side of the midfield.
He peaked in the 16/17 season as a DM in a two man midfield with tackling interception stats comparable to Kante, and even topped the squad with 11 assists from a deeper role. He played around 4000 minutes this season.
With the arrival of Matic, and Jose sticking to a 2 man midfield, Herrera's game time was reduced in the 17/18 season and had his worst phase when Pogba was injured and he was tasked to play in a 2 man midfield along with Matic as a creative force. This was the only consistenly poor phase of his Utd career, but he was never meant to be a creative player to begin with. He was pivotal in the 18/19 purple patch under Ole.

Regarding controlling the midfield,I agree yes he was not good at that. But SAF did admire him after how him along with Martinez bossed us home and away in the 11/12 Europa league campaign vs Bilbao.
He is still an average player in the global stage, but saying that he was poor for 75 percent of his time here is just outright delusional!!
I don't want to waste my time anymore.

lsd

The Oracle
The most overrated player in our history as PSG are finding out

What a joke. I hope you are not talking about some other player.
Herrera was more than average and decent in his first 3 seasons.
In the 14/15 season he was played in a variety of roles,CAM, Box to Box and CDM roles.
He had 13 and 11 G+A in his first 2 seasons inspite of playing just around 2000 minutes.
He was heavily involved in both those mini spells we had under LVG in Dec 14 and Spring of 15, forming triangles with Valenica and Mata on the rigth side of the midfield.
He peaked in the 16/17 season as a DM in a two man midfield with tackling interception stats comparable to Kante, and even topped the squad with 11 assists from a deeper role. He played around 4000 minutes this season.
With the arrival of Matic, and Jose sticking to a 2 man midfield, Herrera's game time was reduced in the 17/18 season and had his worst phase when Pogba was injured and he was tasked to play in a 2 man midfield along with Matic as a creative force. This was the only consistenly poor phase of his Utd career, but he was never meant to be a creative player to begin with. He was pivotal in the 18/19 purple patch under Ole.

Regarding controlling the midfield,I agree yes he was not good at that. But SAF did admire him after how him along with Martinez bossed us home and away in the 11/12 Europa league campaign vs Bilbao.
He is still an average player in the global stage, but saying that he was poor for 75 percent of his time here is just outright delusional!!
I don't want to waste my time anymore.
He was that good he had like 1 season here as first choice and then went swiftly back to being a bench player.

Overrated as feck.

poleglass red

I was never a big fan of his. I always felt he wasn't strong enough defensively or good enough on the ball. He wasn't bad just not great. In the end his mobility was used to play as a defensive mid to cover our other defensive mid in matic who couldn't run.Hed of been a good player to have more so under ole than jose. Although not great in the tackle he nipped away at players heels. He had a good tempo he played at. Not a regular for me but certainly would have played a part this season before we upgrade.