Would Everton going down be the defining story of this season?

wangyu

It might be a big deal in England but the rest of the world sees Everton as just another relatively small EPL club. I can't blame them, you can't keep talking about history when the last significant prize you won was almost 40 years ago.

One of the big 6 going down that would be a story

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
If they go down then Lampard should be knighted for his services to football.

Mr. Robot

It's usually 6 points a season for Liverpool as well. Yet Everton always turn up against us.

So them going down will please me!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I can see them getting out of it in the end

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
At least there's more drama and excitement for Everton fans (trying to find a small silver-lining) this season as with last season. For quite a few seasons, they were embroiled in a 'race of 7th place) or stuck in mid-table 'no-man's land'.

During those years, I was thinking that they were the last club in England that should ever consider playing weakened teams in the domestic cup competitions.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Pep losing the title to the Lego version of himself would be bigger news. Everton going down will cause a lot of headlines in England/the UK. Not sure about elsewhere.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
At least there's more drama and excitement for Everton fans (trying to find a small silver-lining) this season as with last season. For quite a few seasons, they were embroiled in a 'race of 7th place) or stuck in mid-table 'no-man's land'.

During those years, I was thinking that they were the last club in England that should ever consider playing weakened teams in the domestic cup competitions.
No way, it's fecking horrible. :lol: It's not an exciting relegation battle, the club is in turmoil and dying a painful death.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The same thoughts when Leeds, Newcastle, west ham, villa went down. No ones too big. Everton have been skirting it for years now
Yep, at this point only a top 6 team would send shock waves throughout the country and even Europe if they were relegated. Everton just about survived last season, and they're down there again this season so it come as a shock to anyone. It certainly wouldn't overshadow Arsenal winning the title.

RopersReturn

Although they’ve been in decline for a while now, including last seasons relegation battle, it would actually still be a shock to see them go down especially as they still have a few decent players. Despite their difficulties I think they’ll just about manage to stay up, there’s worse teams stinking up the PL.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
No way, it's fecking horrible. :lol: It's not an exciting relegation battle, the club is in turmoil and dying a painful death.
Sorry was trying my best and failing to put a positive spin on it !

Given how congested the bottom of the table is, a decent run and a couple of wins strung together could be huge for any time. I'm certainly not writing Everton off just yet.

I guess Newcastle went down when mired with in-fighting and negativity in 2009 and then immediately bounced back strongly (in-fact that relegation was good for them as it allowed them to get rid of deadwood, get a winning feeling back and while there was still no love for Ashley at least pause the self-hating). Also a lot of people (including some of their fans I know) thought that last year's relegation would be devastating for Burnley given their ownership model. So relegation, if it does happen, might not be quite as disastrous as it appears right now.

Jeffthered

I think yes. Everton are a big club, never been in anything except the first tier. If they were relegated, that would be the story of the season.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Everton getting relegated would not be that big of a story !! They have been going downhill for quite some time and as Forest, Sunderland, Leeds & Newcastle have found out, the Premier League has no respect for history.
Arsenal winning the league would be the big story.

Castia

Arsenal winning the league will be the most defining. Massive underdogs winning then title having not even finished top 4 in recent years.

Everton going down would be huge though

youngrell

Felt like it would be a shock last season but not this year.

If Arsenal maintain this big gap they’ve built, that will be the bigger shock.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Even if they go down, I expect every upcoming manager to manage Everton as a stepping stone to a top 6 job

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think it would've been a bigger story last year. Now they seem to have morphed into a sort of Villa,Sunderland, Newcastle struggler who'll get relegated sooner or later given they're constantly circling the drain now.

Their squad isn't that good and most people expected them to be bottom six given their signing restrictions.

Don't see it as bigger than if Sevilla actually got relegated from La Liga which is still possible even if they've picked up lately. On a par with Valencia who are in the mix in bottom half aswell.

Bundesliga league reamains the king of fallen giants constantly getting relegated in last decade (Schalke, Stuttgart, Bremen, Hamburg, Hertha Berlin etc).

FujiVice

It might be a big deal in England but the rest of the world sees Everton as just another relatively small EPL club. I can't blame them, you can't keep talking about history when the last significant prize you won was almost 40 years ago.
This is a team who were a significant reason for the breakaway of the Premier League in 1992. One of the most successful teams in this country and one of the best supported in the world. Them going down is a disgrace, when you consider the reasons.

They havent won anything since 1995 (not 40 years FWIW), but in the current climate, how could they? Outside the regulars with billions to spend, who actually does win anything?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I wouldn’t have thought so given they only just escaped last season. Arsenal winning the league could also be framed in terms of Liverpool and City having disappointing seasons too. The story of the season could be Brighton or Fulham qualifying for Europe?
Think likes of Fulham and Brentford will slip down to 10th/11th now. Excellent seasons but don't see either being in european contention once we get to mid May.

However if they can avoid injuries to key players I actually think Brighton can have a serious go at 4th if Newcastle don't up their scoring output and have a few more 0-0s.

Current gap to 4th is 8 points and they have a game in hand. Already shown this season they can go to plenty of bottom half teams and stick 3-4 past them so often that's key for teams wanting to make europe. I can certainly see Brighton ovetaking Spurs soon anyway.

About time prem had a complete outsider not owned by a state having a serious go at making CL. Guess West Ham were only a few games off it the other season aswell.

Trequarista10

It'd just be the same as when West Ham and Newcastle went down, a lot of noise for a short while, but an opportunity to sell some players, reduce the wage bill, but still have more than enough resources refresh the squad, walk the Championship and return to mid table PL status.

croadyman

Would mean only 4 clubs have played in every season of the Premier League,however still expect them to get out of trouble

dinostar77

No. Are Everton bigger than Villa and Forest? Not for me, and the former two have European Cups in their cabinets, Everton don't.

Both Villa and Forest went down and not many batted an eyelid. This myth that Everton are this gigantic club needs to end. They're a big club, sure. But they're not too big to go down.
Good point. Though they have 9 league titles, so are fourth in all time list behind Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Its not going to happen. Dyche will keep them up.

CloneMC16

Arsenal winning the league would be way bigger. Nobody expected them to be anywhere near where they are now. They haven't even finished in the top 4 since 15/16.

Everton were flirting with relegation last season as well. It's not a surprise to see them there again. It'll still be big for the league. They've been in the top league for a long time.

SoCross

Only club to not strengthen in the Jan window even though they got the Gordon money. They might not finish last but don’t see them finishing 17th either.

Moriarty

In my lifetime, only Everton and Arsenal have always been in the top flight. When Arsenal were last in the old Second Division, the Great War was raging. Everton were last relegated in 1951. That's some record and I hope they stay up.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Never enjoyed going to Goodison park as a fixture - so I won't be sad to see them go. Especially with them having Pickford - will be hilarious seeing his face getting relegated, albeit he won't be playing in the Championship.

Regardless, it would be a massive story if they get relegated.

Baxquux

If Calvert-=Lewin can string some more games together and get , say , 3 more goals in that time, I could see him as one of Tottenham's (2, at min needed) replacements for Kane, especially in the event of Everton going down...

Chief123

Would it be more significant than say Arsenal winning the title if it actually happened?
Yes because the second scenario isn’t happening. Never was.

Everton could be getting relegated with a new stadium which will be arguably the best in the world.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They came close last season, so wouldn't be a huge shock given that they haven't improved. But it would be strange if they struggled to get back, especially with a brand new stadium on the way. I doubt they had Championship football in mind when they mocked it up.

Bouncing back right away is no guarantee. Big clubs have gone down and stayed down for ages (and a couple of those never came back), so it's not impossible that they struggle, if it happens.

I don't think they'll go down though. Leeds and Forest are awful, which I think Everton and Leicester will benefit from in the end.

BorisManUtd

In my lifetime, only Everton and Arsenal have always been in the top flight. When Arsenal were last in the old Second Division, the Great War was raging. Everton were last relegated in 1951. That's some record and I hope they stay up.
Yeah it’s a fantastic record (Arsenal’s is wow) and will be shame if it’s broken after 70+ years. But they’ll only have themselves to blame.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Was checking their transfer business, and it's worth noting that they sent away Dele Alli on loan after selling Richarlison and Gordon, and releasing Rondon and Tosun on free transfers.

The only attacking replacements they got were McNeil (top scorer with 5 goals all season) and Maupay (1 goal all season). DCL apparently missed 14 games through injury, and that pretty much dried up all the goals.

Baneofthegame

I do t know who is in charge of their recruitment, but they have been god awful for a few years now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Was checking their transfer business, and it's worth noting that they sent away Dele Alli on loan after selling Richarlison and Gordon, and releasing Rondon and Tosun on free transfers.

The only attacking replacements they got were McNeil (top scorer with 5 goals all season) and Maupay (1 goal all season). DCL apparently missed 14 games through injury, and that pretty much dried up all the goals.
This is what has killed us. Benitez started off the chain by selling Digne and Rodriguez who were two of our main creators and scorers. We also lost Gylfi to something we couldn’t control (another Main scorer and creator), DCL through injury and then sold Richy in the summer. I don’t have anything against Maupay or McNeil as squad options but they’re not starting talent if you want goals and assists.We should have been buying two more and if that wasn’t an option then we should have been signing different players.

For all the talk about Benitez being crap, Lampard being crap etc. Dyche is struggling with this group too. They're collectively absolutely dross.

Last edited: