Would football be more enjoyable without commentators?

peridigm

MLS regularly have streams with no commentary and personally it makes me lose focus.
I lose focus watching MLS with or without commentary. The first el clasico I watched was stadium sound and it was great. Partly due to the alternative which was Spanish.

RedCurry

I love football commentary for most part. especially in PL but that’s probably because i find a British accent very soothing and relate it mainly to football.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Depends on the game. Nice to lose yourself in the big atmosphere of a European knockout game. For your casual Brighton vs Watford in the background I would need commentary.

Jibbs

try to watch the free-kick without...too far for Ronaldo to think about it...Ohhh.
or that that goal of Torres without Gary Naville orgasm.

Denis' cuff

Had the sound off for years, now. They contribute feck all and are annoying cnuts, on the whole.

occasionally switch it up when I know who is on and the reds are upsetting them (Tyler etc etc) McManaman last night, actually saying that Watford didn’t even try :houllier: enjoyed his dismay until his silly accent got the better ofme and I switched Off.

Charles Miller

Not exactly, he's the commentator for Fox Sports. There's plenty others in ESPN, DirecTV and so on. He's quite good and well known, though.
:D Its a joke, because a lot of commentators in the south american spanish speaking countries, sound like they are trying to be Mariano Closs.

kkengvib

I don't speak German but my Sky subscription where I live only has commentary in German/French (I live in Switzerland). I can tell you that watching matches without commentary is really dull. If you could hear the crowd more it'd be interesting but it's so much better with commentary, even though you don't understand it

RedIan

No, commentary is part and parcel of the enjoyment of a TV match. been some very boring united games in teh last few years. At least commentary diverts your attention sometimes...

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Since it recently became an option, generally I turn off a commentator and only listen to sounds from a stadium. A good commentator makes the experience better, but there aren't many of them (especially Russian), usually they annoy more than they help.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Sometimes - it depends on the atmosphere. Your average Premier League game isn't exactly a bedlam of noise. That said, I would happily jettison a few co-commentators.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Depends who is commentating, I already watch some games with it turned off. I find G Neville like finger nails on the blackboard, Micheal Owen is also awful. Some commentary I don't mind though.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I turn the commentary off on FIFA and Pro Evo and commentate the game myself. Done it since I was a kid, no mention of stats or anything and just talking about the game.

Mind you I think I like the sound of my own voice so not sure why I posted that comment.

Lynty

I generally like commentary. The format does require modernization though.

I think that some of the bollocks they chat needs to be challenged more often. Perhaps, a play by play commentator to 'chair', then two commentators unofficially representing the teams that's playing and let them spar (ex-players, prominent fans e.g. Robbie Lyle). Leave tactical analysis for half time or the after show - it's rarely accurate in real time - and often doesn't take a professional to see it what's happening, so it comes across patronizing.

A bit more passion in commentary would be nice, can't stand ex-players tiptoeing around subjects in fear of upsetting their old club/mates.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I had been wanting to watch a match on TV with just the stadium noise for years and earlier this year I got the chance to with that Amazon mode. Within 20 minutes I realised that I needed to put the commentary on because I wasn't getting the conversation stimulus I always get whilst watching football. When I'm at a game I probably spend a good chunk nattering away to the people I'm with or just listening in to the guys around me. For me the commentary in part fulfils this void when I'm watching a game on my own on the TV so it doesn't feel like I'm not getting that social experience of the match. It's a weird one but I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather listen to someone I can't stand commentate than listen to no one at all on that basis.

OleTheGreat

I'm probably in the minority, but I think it would...

I was watching a match the other day. Due to technical difficulties the sound from the commentators was gone for 5 minutes or so. This wasn't a new experience, but it reminded me of something I've been thinking for quite some time: football is best when you only hear the sounds from the stadium and the game itself. With commentators gone, the only thing I'd miss is information about things happening off screen.
That's ridiculous! Imagine a Messi goal with no one saying "Magisterial" !

vodrake

Depends. TV commentators are pretty shit, radio commentators are generally better.
I like Radio 5 Live, but Talksport commentary can be quite bad. They usually wheel out some grouchy old ex pro to whinge about VAR for 90 minutes, or try and create massive controversy out of some absolute none event in the match to draw viewers to their call in show after, then you'll watch MOTD in the evening and it won't even be mentioned it was so minor

crossy1686

career ending
I like Radio 5 Live, but Talksport commentary can be quite bad as they usually wheel out some grouchy old ex pro to whinge about VAR for 90 minutes, or try and create some controversy out of some absolute none event in the match to draw viewers to their call in show after.
Yeah I don't count TalkSport. They do commentary sometimes but they're just a talk show really, and a bad one at that.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Depends on who the commentator is. I used to consider muting Peter Drury a few years back but now he's not too bad. I find Tony Jones hard to listen to. Simon Hanley and Graham Hunter need to be told less is more. Ray Hudson is beyond annoying and thankfully I've only endured him once and that was once too often.

None of the current commentators are as good Barry Davies and Brian Moore mind you. .

Last edited:

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
It doesn't help that the role of the colour commentator has changed. Now with Neville and Carragher especially, you get a MNF conversation in the middle of a game. They don't know when to shut up.

Martin Tyler and Andy Gray used to be perfect. They kept each other in check with Gray usually only speaking after a goal/incident in the game.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think it would...

I was watching a match the other day. Due to technical difficulties the sound from the commentators was gone for 5 minutes or so. This wasn't a new experience, but it reminded me of something I've been thinking for quite some time: football is best when you only hear the sounds from the stadium and the game itself. With commentators gone, the only thing I'd miss is information about things happening off screen.
Yes, for me absolutely.

I loved Amazon prime's service, all I want is the game and the crowd. I hate the pre-talk, I despise listening to pundits at half time and after the game. A few quick pitch side interviews is plenty.

BillyJoel

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool, Hansa Rostock
:D Its a joke, because a lot of commentators in the south american spanish speaking countries, sound like they are trying to be Mariano Closs.
They do? not to kill a joke but I hardly think any other commentator is trying to sound like him (not Miguel Simon, Giralt, Barril, Sosa, or any from Colombia).

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Without freaking Arlo and Le Seaux (sp?). They make my ears bleed. I like your classic British announces, better than any sports announcers I hear in the States. (Besides Romo)
They are both fine. Would you rather have Taylor Twellman announcing? Uh.

I'm vehemently against any Americans announcing English matches. I remember when NBCSN tried Tim Howard for a weekend. I had to mute the TV.

More Ray Hudson please.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Just get Ian Darke away from it and i can live with the rest of them. Bin Martin Tyler as well, actually.

Flying high

I've never been to a match and thought that all I was missing, was Mcmanamans voice telling me what I'm watching.

Vanrouge

I'm vehemently against any Americans announcing English matches. I remember when NBCSN tried Tim Howard for a weekend. I had to mute the TV.

More Ray Hudson please.
They, alongside Lee Dixon, have become my favourite commentators. Arlo White is measured and not hysterical like some, plus he shows a curiosity about the game and isn't a knowitall, while Graeme le Saux brings intelligent behind-the-scenes information and opinion, all balanced by Dixon's down-to-earth Mancunian humour. I think they complement each other as well as anyone, and I'm always happy if I see a game is on NBC.

I love that they don't take it all so seriously. Such as when White decided something on-field as "a no nonsense tackle" and Dixon asked "What's a nonsense tackle?" Another time, a player was being booed by the home crowd and White said something like, "He's being booed by his own fans. Everyone but his parents." And Dixon piped up, "I was so bad once even my parents booed me." He's like Karl Pilkington, sometimes, and it can be funny.

Vanrouge

More Ray Hudson please.
Oh, and Ray Hudson. I'll never forget the time he said, "And Lady Luck has shown Real Madrid her big, fat, cellulite-laden behind." Or, "He went down in the box like a Turkish hooker." I honestly think he got away with that kind of stuff because Americans couldn't understand a single word of his Geordie accent. I have to say, though, I think his time may have passed. Can you imagine Martin Tyler saying anything remotely similar. The phones would be ringing off the hook at Sky Sports!

SirAF

Ageist
Yes. I’d rather have just the sound from the stadium. Most of the Norwegian commentators are dreadful.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's good to have as an option when the commentating is really bad but generally I'd want commentating.