Would Jones be the best CB in the league if he wasn’t made of glass?

Would Jones be the best CB in the league?

• Total voters

Revan

Assumptionman
Steady on now. Nobody who knows what they're talking about thinks Ramos is better than Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry or Carvalho. Madrid fanboys and FIFA gamers maybe.
Both on trophies and individual awards he is far ahead of any. He is also the best ball playing CB in living memory, and has scored so many important goals which were the difference between Madrid winning UCL or not.

On modern football, CBs are expected much more than to defend, as Cannavaro (the only CB who has won Ballon D'Or in a very long time) found out when he went to Madrid and had to play with Ramos.

Ramos will easily be remembered as a top 10, if not top 5 player of the last 10 years.

Both on trophies and individual awards he is far ahead of any. He is also the best ball playing CB in living memory, and has scored so many important goals which were the difference between Madrid winning UCL or not.

On modern football, CBs are expected much more than to defend, as Cannavaro (the only CB who has won Ballon D'Or in a very long time) found out when he went to Madrid and had to play with Ramos.

Ramos will easily be remembered as a top 10, if not top 5 player of the last 10 years.
It has come at the expense of being able to actually defend. He will be remembered as you say, but that's largely because defenders in the last 10 years are poor compared to those from the 10 years before that. He is lucky he was born when he was.

foolsgold

The best in the league? No, thats too far.

Let's start with a more realistic question, is Phil Jones the best CB at Manchester United?

Eddy_JukeZ

He's not even the best or 2nd best CB at this club.

Never mind the entire league.

kidbob

It's a question that can never be answered with full certainty either way sadly. Him not being made of glass would have seen him play a lot more games and miss out much less on his development so who really knows what level he could have reached if things had been different. Maybe he'd have become incredible or maybe he'd have still been at his current level or around that. Just goes down as another player that injuries have possibly robbed people of seeing their full potential.

POF

It's an interesting question because midway through last season, many were arguing he was the best in the league and at that time he was the clear first pick of the back 3 for England.

Then he got injured, his form slumped and he was back to donkey status again.

I have to say, I never really rated him as a young player. I thought Smalling had far more potential. But last season was the first time I could see what the fuss was about. He was excellent and was developing into a real leader next to Bailly. The injuries are such a shame.

wolvored

a fit jones, and thats a laugh in itself, isnt as good as a fit bailly, which in itself is spurious

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Is this thread a joke? He is here 6 years and some people are still blaming injuries. He is average defender. Get over it

Fingeredmouse

I remember Baresi (as a start), a better ball playing centre half than Ramos.

Revan

Assumptionman
I remember Baresi (as a start), a better ball playing centre half than Ramos.
Not sure if he was better at it (haven't seen his entire career, more like just highlights and big matches) and he essentially retired almost a decade before Ramos started playing, so quite a long long time ago.

Fingeredmouse

Not sure if he was better at it (haven't seen his entire career, more like just highlights and big matches) and he essentially retired almost a decade before Ramos started playing, so quite a long long time ago.
....but in living memory.
I am, I think, alive.

SambaBoy

Poor in the air and always got a mistake in him so definitely not.

Member 113277

He's the best prone header of the ball in the Premier League :lol:

Reddy Rederson

It’s not that just that he’s made of glass, it’s that his decision making is so poor. He fecks up, then puts himself out of sorts to make up for it and ends up hurting himself.

Jojo <3 Mou

I really like Phil Jones and his willingness to put all on the line. I'm still holding hope that he'll be able to stay injury free for a sustained period and show the talent that I know (think) he has.

He has been way more good than bad even with the injuries but if the niggles/injuries continue to bother him then he's not a good investment.

Best in the league? Probably not. But very good.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
No, but when he retires he'll be the first player to have a treatment room named after him instead of a testimonial. Mentally he's tough though, which is something I think our other defenders are lacking.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
A fit Phil Jones is still not as good as Smalling, whom no one would say is the best in the league. Rojo, the "worst CB in Europe", showed more in his extended run of form than Jones has in the last 3 seasons.

Miscemayl

No, he isn't even close that level.

His headers isn't great, he constantly needs to make last ditch tackles and he gets turned quite often by the top tier attackers.

Hazard probably marks games against Jones on his calendar

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He would. Most peeps on this forum know poppycock about defending. Still throwing around nebulous concepts like good on the ball, good judgment.

Being a CB is primarily about being strong, explosive and courageous.

The things here people would have said about Robson would probably make you cry.