Would no money spent in January indicate Poch in the summer?

jamesjimmybyrondean

Well Woodward doesn't have the excuse that there's no value in the market because clearly there is. Ole doesn't have the excuse of waiting for the right fit because clearly Bruno is since we've been chasing him.

So no signing this January will mean

a) Ed and Judge have done it again

b) Ole will be gone in the summer

c) The Glazers don't care anymore and have stopped investing

Infra-red

I'd say it lessens the chances of him coming in the summer if we have no CL football, a paper thin squad devoid of quality and have shown ourselves to be unwilling/unable to invest in the previous window.

If Pochettino has any sense, he wouldn't touch United with a barge pole.

Gasolin

I don't understand this logic. I don't think it's correlated at all, we just don't have enough money I suppose.

Alabaster Codify7

Well Woodward doesn't have the excuse that there's no value in the market because clearly there is. Ole doesn't have the excuse of waiting for the right fit because clearly Bruno is since we've been chasing him.

So no signing this January will mean

a) Ed and Judge have done it again

b) Ole will be gone in the summer

c) The Glazers don't care anymore and have stopped investing

It's all 3 and the worst part is, any manager worth his salt wouldn't touch this club with a fecking bargepole and rightly so. So we may instead be stuck with Ole Yella for another season, sliding further into obscurity.

Roboc7

I’d say biggest reason we’re not spending and why players are being shipped out is cost cutting rather than Poch being lined up.

Champions League football is now a bonus rather than a certainty, wages are out of control and the club will no longer be top of the pile for biggest sponsorship/endorsement deals.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Just because we don't buy a player means Poch is coming in the summer?! I don't think so. Ole is likely sack come summer unless Ed and Glazers really back his rebuild plan but unfortunately Ole is not the man. Those losses to Watford, Burnley, Palace, Newcastle...... are not accepted by any standard from Utd regardless manager. I just think Glazer and Ed is trying to safe money so that the books looks well manage for shareholder so they can continue take money out of the club. Even if Poch comes, he would probably have a fix amount to buy players like 100 million which would bring in 2-3 players. Another 2-3 players if Pogba sale is used to fund purchase.

Champagne Football

I don't think we can afford to ignore Poch. He guarantee's top 4. He improves players.

At this point, keeping an unproven manager like Ole in charge with no top 4 finish at the end of the season, is football suicide. Lampard will get 4th spot meaning he will deserve more time.

I'm all for Ole staying if we get top 4, but I think there's more chance of Messi signing for Sheffield Utd than that happening.

romufc

Would Poch want to come here and ruin his reputation?

The facts are there, the manager will not be backed. In the past yes, in the new reformed regime no.

£70m net spend a year is not going to entice him to Manutd.

This is another dream that will not happen.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

The facts are there, the manager will not be backed. In the past yes, in the new reformed regime no.

Kinda did that himself the way he left Spurs and got replaced by the manager we sacked. Poch would 100% come here if offered.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

I don’t understand why fans keep mentioning this myth. Only Manchester City has spend more than United post Sir Alex. We back proven top manager and I am sure Pochettino will be given a warchest similar or greater than Mourinho if he choose United.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I’d say biggest reason we’re not spending and why players are being shipped out is cost cutting rather than Poch being lined up.

Champions League football is now a bonus rather than a certainty, wages are out of control and the club will no longer be top of the pile for biggest sponsorship/endorsement deals.
Sadly I cannot find any reason to disagree with this.

The Glazers may sacrifice Ole on the altar of PR but whoever comes in will have to be a magician, cos the senior management will not be sanctioning any big spending. So long as the Glazers can continue to extract a good dividend from United they don't care about us competing for the title. Sure the money they take out might have to dip from £20m a year. However, even if it drops to £10-15 million a year its still a lot of cash to them. United can sustain that kind of dividend as a midtable, occassionally cup winning side, for awhile.

romufc

I don’t understand why fans keep mentioning this myth. Only Manchester City has spend more than United post Sir Alex. We back proven top manager and I am sure Pochettino will be given a warchest similar or greater than Mourinho if he choose United.
I did mention reformed structure.

The signs are there from 2 seasons ago.

I am only going by what the trend is.

Why have a manager that you won't back then?

romufc

Kinda did that himself the way he left Spurs and got replaced by the manager we sacked. Poch would 100% come here if offered.
I doubt he would. Manutd is probably the worst club to go to as a player or manager.

I am a United fan so I would be biased however; someone who isn't will look at the club and will think twice.

Since Fergie left, no player or manager has done anything only regression.

crossy1686

career ending

The only bonus about taking over at United in the summer would be that most of players are gone and you'll have free control to bring in the players you want. Like moving into an unfurnished house.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I doubt he would. Manutd is probably the worst club to go to as a player or manager.

I am a United fan so I would be biased however; someone who isn't will look at the club and will think twice.

Fecking hell mate, hyperbole or what.

We've done more as a club than any club he's ever managed, even in our "nadir" phase.

romufc

The only bonus about taking over at United in the summer would be that most of players are gone and you'll have free control to bring in the players you want. Like moving into an unfurnished house.
Moving into an unfurnished house with no money to furnish it?

We can all say he will have money and be backed, how sure can one be?

dove

I wish it was the case but I fear it's not. We are not a CL club anymore and it hit us hard financially. I don't think we even have enough ambition to come back to CL, we are just simply existing right now with absolutely no intentions to be a top club again, seeing how Ole is still in the job just proves it. Glazers will milk it as long as possible and when we are completely fecked and don't generate much money from our brand, they will probably sell.

crossy1686

career ending
Moving into an unfurnished house with no money to furnish it?

We can all say he will have money and be backed, how sure can one be?
We can't be sure of anything but if we're not spending because we're planning on bringing Pochettino in during the summer then that would mean there are funds to spend when he comes in.

romufc

Fecking hell mate, hyperbole or what.

We've done more as a club than any club he's ever managed, even in our "nadir" phase.
Under the current circumstances, why would a player or manager want to come to United?

If you are a young player, you would 100% not chose Old Trafford as your destination. Well unless you are a player that is under the very good player level.

romufc

We can't be sure of anything but if we're not spending because we're planning on bringing Pochettino in during the summer then that would mean there are funds to spend when he comes in.
We are making excuses up to feel better for not spending any money in Jan.

If we are to bring Poch in, there would have been dialogues with him and we would not be half heartedly going for a player like Bruno. You either go for him or put a statement saying we are not interested?

Son

If your a biased United fan I dread to think what non-United fans think of our club!

In reality success is very well within our reach in the future so hardly a bad club to end up at.

I’m pretty sure we’ve won more trophies than most even since Sir Alex left btw.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Under the current circumstances, why would a player or manager want to come to United?

If you are a young player, you would 100% not chose Old Trafford as your destination. Well unless you are a player that is under the very good player level.
Because just like Liverpool won't be as great as they are at the moment forever, we won't be perennially shite forever.

I guess Greenwood, Rashford and Willams are just waiting for the right moment to hop ship? It would entirely depend on the other offers about said players. I agree that players around Pogba's age would have no interest in coming to us right now, but plenty of young players would want to come here.

shaky

We haven't backed the managers with good amounts of money in the past couple of years. The amount we spent 4/5 years ago is certainly no indication that we're still happy to splash the cash these days. We're more likely to get a budget of around £50m + whatever we salvage from selling Pogba.

Seij

Couple things I think more likely than "Ole out, Poch in"

1. Ed did his cost analysis and is skeptical that signing Bruno will be worth it. He's asking Ole to continue the PR campaign of "youth, rebuild" meanwhile.

2. Ole really prefers to sign British players over Bruno and is waiting for the likes of Maddison and Longstaff to be available in the summer.

City was bringing in players to set up Pep's team before he started the job. I imagine if Poch has already agreed to come here, he wouldn't be sitting around while the club is dillydallying this window.

romufc

If your a biased United fan I dread to think what non-United fans think of our club!

In reality success is very well within our reach in the future so hardly a bad club to end up at.

I’m pretty sure we’ve won more trophies than most even since Sir Alex left btw.
Yes, but lets be honest a player like Sancho, Maddison is what we want at United and they will be wanting to challenge for PL and CL.

In the past we have also had the managerial pull.

When you are struggling first time around, you can sell the "we want to rebuild the club".

Can you use that every summer?

We could well be in a place to challenge for titles in a few years, but this summer I think we will struggle to attract those calibre of players.

romufc

Because just like Liverpool won't be as great as they are at the moment forever, we won't be perennially shite forever.

I guess Greenwood, Rashford and Willams are just waiting for the right moment to hop ship? It would entirely depend on the other offers about said players. I agree that players around Pogba's age would have no interest in coming to us right now, but plenty of young players would want to come here.
Agreed, we wont be shit forever that's why I said current situation.

We need to get this bad negativity out, and show some kind of ambition.

You think Rashford wants to carry a team every year? he would for a few seasons because he is a United man. But with this team we need a few experienced lads.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Agreed, we wont be shit forever that's why I said current situation.

We need to get this bad negativity out, and show some kind of ambition.

You think Rashford wants to carry a team every year? he would for a few seasons because he is a United man. But with this team we need a few experienced lads.
No I agree, but a player who can't look further than where we're at now is probably not worth getting, they have to show ambition as well.

No of course not, but we are eventually going to sign players, even if it's not Jan. Poch would know that and would want to create his own legacy and would be very interested in managing one of the biggest clubs in the world, with some serious talents coming through our academy.

romufc

No I agree, but a player who can't look further than where we're at now is probably not worth getting, they have to show ambition as well.

No of course not, but we are eventually going to sign players, even if it's not Jan. Poch would know that and would want to create his own legacy and would be very interested in managing one of the biggest clubs in the world, with some serious talents coming through our academy.
If we are going to spend money and I mean like £150-200m and then this has been put to Poch as a plan for the summer.

Then thats fine, but at the moment, i do not believe in the board.

In that case Ole has done a great job to clear everything out and not moan about getting players in, because this would mean we have actually thought a good long term plan.

The issue I see it as is, why even go after Bruno then and create all this mess?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If we are going to spend money and I mean like £150-200m and then this has been put to Poch as a plan for the summer.

Then thats fine, but at the moment, i do not believe in the board.

In that case Ole has done a great job to clear everything out and not moan about getting players in, because this would mean we have actually thought a good long term plan.

The issue I see it as is, why even go after Bruno then and create all this mess?
That's most likely the plan. If we could get Bruno for 55m euros, that would be a good deal regardless of who the manager is.

I think the "mess" is more created by the media. He'll likely come to us or stay at Sporting for the foreseeable future. I think he's probably about the only player of sufficient instant quality available for under £50m, otherwise no one's going to sell their best players mid season that would help us and a lot of young, talented players owners, would be better off waiting until the summer to see if they can get more for them.

Amadaeus

We haven't backed the managers with good amounts of money in the past couple of years. The amount we spent 4/5 years ago is certainly no indication that we're still happy to splash the cash these days. We're more likely to get a budget of around £50m + whatever we salvage from selling Pogba.
Any more significant amount of money we give to our manager and we will have outspent all clubs in football. Ridiculous claim that we don’t back our managers and is a form of gaslighting to try and put some negativity towards Woodward and Glazers. I doubt you will back that claim this summer. I m quite sure we will have much more than £50m to spend this summer regardless of the fee we get from Pogba if we decide to sell. Especially if Pochettino chooses us

Son

Yes, but lets be honest a player like Sancho, Maddison is what we want at United and they will be wanting to challenge for PL and CL.

In the past we have also had the managerial pull.

When you are struggling first time around, you can sell the "we want to rebuild the club".

Can you use that every summer?

We could well be in a place to challenge for titles in a few years, but this summer I think we will struggle to attract those calibre of players.
Maddison and Sancho would defo come if the money is right. They aren’t exactly challenging for the Premier League or Champions League realistically let’s face it.

Personally part of me Sancho stays another year at Dortmund because they have been my fav team to watch at times this season & no they won’t win the Champions League.

shaky

Any more significant amount of money we give to our manager and we will have outspent all clubs in football. Ridiculous claim that we don’t back our managers and is a form of gaslighting to try and put some negativity towards Woodward and Glazers. I doubt you will back that claim this summer. I m quite sure we will have much more than £50m to spend this summer regardless of the fee we get from Pogba if we decide to sell. Especially if Pochettino chooses us
Ah, I'm gaslighting the Glazers now? Trying to put undue negativity towards them and Woodward? Comical. You can take your mask off now Neil Ashton. Our net spend last season was under £80m, the season before it was under £50m. For a club with our resources, in our struggling position, it's pathetic. How long are we supposed to give the Glazers a pass for the few years of spending, mostly on players who are no longer even with the club any more? Are we meant to just shrug and say, oh well, we blew a pile of money on Di Maria, Schneiderlin, Falcao, Depay, Fellaini etc and accept that that's our lot for the next decade?

Hughie77

We're making a mess of things by the looks of things, it's going wrong in all aspects on the pitch injuries galore, off it, to many players on stupid wages and contracts, this I think now Woodward has realised in giving some silly contacts with silly pay. This has to stop I suppose this is why the Bruno deal if it goes through has gone on so long.
If he doesn't sign, reports of late say deal has been thrashed out? But If it doesn't happen it's a rubber stamp I think that oles out in summer?
I do think there is transfer kitty, but how big ! As UTD others will up there price when were interested, that's a given, we've always had to pay over the odds for players we've been after, unless it's a sly one and nobody knows about it.
The club the board needs a serious look at themselves in regards of how this affects us as followers, etc, without us there is no club.

Hughie77

Ah, I'm gaslighting the Glazers now? Trying to put undue negativity towards them and Woodward? Comical. You can take your mask off now Neil Ashton. Our net spend last season was under £80m, the season before it was under £50m. For a club with our resources, in our struggling position, it's pathetic. How long are we supposed to give the Glazers a pass for the few years of spending, mostly on players who are no longer even with the club any more? Are we meant to just shrug and say, oh well, we blew a pile of money on Di Maria, Schneiderlin, Falcao, Depay, Fellaini etc and accept that that's our lot for the next decade?
Agree, they are taking the mickey, as you said only £80M in summer, and that was on 1 player, recouped most of that with Lukaku. So realy it was AWB, and James. This spend is awful for a summer window!
No-one is expecting millions millions on over priced players, the right ones are needed. For the right price. Summer window we will see what happens again, I can see more out than in.

DBT85

So now it looks like Fernandes is back on does that mean it's Ole forever?

(not a srs question)

Amadaeus

Yes, because we will continue to spend significant money now and in the future because we have the resources. I can quote you when we continue to outspend most of our rivals each window? It seems like we are working on some big deal this window and I m positive that this summer, we will continue to spend more. The fact that only City is the only club that has spend more than us in the league should clearly end this argument. Regardless, I m confident that we will continue to spend as this manager needs top players to hide his lack of managerial capabilities.

Amadaeus

£68m for Bruno