Would Roy Keane excel at managing an elite team?

luke511

We all know Keane managing a relatively low level football team, such as Ipswich, didn't set the world alight. I wouldn't be surprised if he was incredibly unforgiving at times, as they couldn't play at the standard he was used to, and the players couldn't hack it. However, If Roy Keane was given the opportunity to manage a very talented group of footballers, close to what he was used to seeing on a football pitch, would his incredibly high standards on the pitch bring out the best of his players? Or do you think his old school attitude and demeanour would be too rough on modern footballers? Over time I reckon he's mellowed out and let his shield down a bit, still manager potential imo.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He very might be that type... or he might be Gennaro Gattuso at the press conference.

GazTheLegend

We all know Keane managing a relatively low level football team, compared to the level he played at anyway, didn't set the world alight. If Roy Keane was given the opportunity to manage a very talented group of footballers, would his incredibly high standards on the pitch bring out the best of his players? Or do you think his old school attitude and demeanour would be too rough on modern footballers? Over time I reckon he's mellowed out and let his shield down a bit, still manager potential imo.
No.

The difference between Alex Ferguson and Roy Keane was that Ferguson knew when to shield his players and who to put an arm around and build up the confidence of.

Sir Alex succeeded at lower level teams.

Roy Keane doesn't seem to have that in him. He exists at two speeds: "stop" and "nuclear".

There are very few successful "angry" manager types out there that don't have other strings to their bows.

luke511

No.

The difference between Alex Ferguson and Roy Keane was that Ferguson knew when to shield his players and who to put an arm around and build up the confidence of.

Roy Keane doesn't seem to have that in him. He exists at two speeds: "stop" and "nuclear".

There are very few successful "angry" manager types out there that don't have other strings to their bows.
This is true, I suppose he still probably lacks that warmth/father figure role needed to succeed at the top level. Before that De Gea rant, I would've pushed the point of him being a lot more relaxed in recent times a lot more, but I'm not too sure anymore :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No.

Pardon my ignorance but what teams were these? Aberdeen weren't exactly midtable, I think

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Also, there are enough comments about the likes of Pep needing to go to Sunderland and bring them from league 2 to PL to prove their worth, that the very question of a manager excelling with a top class team is valid.

clarkydaz

He publicly fell out with players at Villa and Ireland, not even sure about Ipswich and Sunderland. Dont see how he can handle this generation of players now

SweetRightFoot

No, he's too crazy.

Also wouldn't make a good assistant manager as he's too headstrong and would likely find something to disagree with the head coach about.

Best as a pundit, where he can be outraged and angry at people doing things wrong every week.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
No. Completely wrong type of personality to manage at the highest level in today's game, modern footballers need good man managers and the need to be a good man manager gets even greater the higher the level. Also has shown no real exceptional tactical acumen over the course of his own managerial career and a manager at the highest level in today's game need exceptional tactical acumen.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Pardon my ignorance but what teams were these? Aberdeen weren't exactly midtable, I think

St Mirren for 4 years and East Sterlingshire for a year before that.

Did you think he went straight from player to manager of Aberdeen? You could just do a google search!

Skills

Snitch
Maybe 20 years ago. The top "managers" now are fantastic coaches first and foremost and there's no evidence to suggest he's anything more than an average coach.

Then you add in his toxic personality and the fact that the head coaches at most clubs are pretty far down in the pecking order, means he'll struggle.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
No. Completely wrong type of personality to manage at the highest level in today's game, modern footballers need good man managers and the need to be a good man manager gets even greater the higher the level. Also has shown no real exceptional tactical acumen over the course of his own managerial career and a manager at the highest level in today's game need exceptional tactical acumen.
I think he’s do well in charge of an elite set of players, though they’s need to be of a certain characteristics.

I think Keane would be a kinder and a more empathetic soul if he were leading players capable of delivering against his desired standards.

His teammates loved him as captain, and he was always willing to put his protective shield around them, the Vierra-Neville tunnel incident being the most visual example.

Keane isn’t a constant raving madman, these outbursts are very infrequent and he only dishes it out to get a reaction, much like SAF did.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Yes. But with an experienced squad. The new ones don't have the bottle for this anymore.

Champagne Football

Keane has that personality that is ideal to be a club captain but not a club manager, comparable to Sounness, Stuart Pearce, Gattuso etc.

Klopp and Fergie have that X-Factor that the very best managers have. Knowing when to explode and went to crack a joke, knowing who can take a bollocking and who can't.

They also have that inner discipline knowing there's a line you can't cross when you're upset or feel you've been robbed, and making sure you don't cross it.

The likes of Keane and Mourinho will never be even close to Fergie and Klopp because they don't know how to prevent themselves from crossing the line when in a rage, and it will always go tits up in the end for that reason.

I think Keane could win a load of titles as a manager if he suddenly found himself at a club that had 10 times more spending power than everybody else had, like Jose had in his first stint at Chelsea. I think he'd have them motivated and hungry and disciplined. But could he do a Fergie or a Klopp and take over a team outside the top 4 and with a modest budget take them to the top? I don't think so

Skills

Snitch
Keane has that personality that is ideal to be a club captain but not a club manager, comparable to Sounness, Stuart Pearce, Gattuso etc.

Klopp and Fergie have that X-Factor that the very best managers have. Knowing when to explode and went to crack a joke, knowing who can take a bollocking and who can't.

They also have that knowing there's a line you can't cross when you're upset or feel you've been robbed, and making sure you don't cross it.

The likes of Keane and Mourinho will never be even close to Fergie and Klopp because they don't know how to prevent themselves from crossing the line when in a rage, and it will always go tits up in the end for that reason.

I think Keane could win a load of titles as a manager if he suddenly found himself at a club that had 10 times more spending power than everybody else had, like Jose had in his first stint at Chelsea. I think he'd have them motivated and hungry and disciplined. But could he do a Fergie or a Klopp and take over a team outside the top 4 and with a modest budget take them to the top? I don't think so
That's the Mourinho of the last 10 years. At Porto, Chelsea and Inter he was fine and his players adored him. He just became a complete self-centered, toxic asshole during/after his spell at Madrid.

GazTheLegend

St Mirren for 4 years and East Sterlingshire for a year before that.

Did you think he went straight from player to manager of Aberdeen? You could just do a google search!
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/may/31/newsstory.sport1

Great article here too that probably a lot of people on here won't have seen about Ferguson's sacking too. Guy was all about getting people onboard with what he was doing.

Keane definitely has a bit of that about him but he seems a bit more insular which is probably why he was such a great player and captain but has struggled to translate that up the ladder. Need to have ALL your people onboard and just quietly shift anyone who isn't without any undue fuss or ceremony, instead of constantly berating them.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Think Jose Mourinho at a press conference after a loss. And then imagine that is a good day.

Tiber

Absolutely not. Nor would he ever be given the opportunity.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He’s too emotional/hot headed

He has a track record of picking fights and moaning at players & staff
Walks out when the going gets tough

Kicked out of United for ranting about young players
Left Ireland in the lurch at a World Cup because it wasn’t up to his perceived standard
Quit Sunderland after rowing with the owner
Sacked for Ipswich
Walked out on Villa
Tried to pick a fight with Irish players including John Walters
Numerous players have cited him for bully boy style coaching

Short answer: no chance

Stick to punditry where his wit comes out more

Skills

Snitch
I mean, he couldn't do anything with lower level teams so why would his methods work with elite level players?
For some reason most of our fanbase thinks a managers job is mostly buying players and selecting first XIs. Then the players figure stuff out, or they're thick/stupid and the manager gives the occasional bollocking to help them along with it.

It's how we've ended up with Solskjaer managing us.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He can’t even manage players like Cleverly without going round their house, climbing their fence and threatening to do them in.

meamth

Being a manager is simple, if you can't deliver in the lower teams, you won't deliver in the bigger teams.

But seeing him fail in such dramatic fashion should be fun to watch.

"Roy Keane left Paul Pogba at London and asked him to use the train by himself to Manchester." - The Sun

And then later that day

"Roy Keane is furious to see Paul Pogba is back at Manchester after he took Evra's taxi" - Daily Mirror

luke511

I think he’s do well in charge of an elite set of players, though they’s need to be of a certain characteristics.

I think Keane would be a kinder and a more empathetic soul if he were leading players capable of delivering against his desired standards.

His teammates loved him as captain, and he was always willing to put his protective shield around them, the Vierra-Neville tunnel incident being the most visual example.

Keane isn’t a constant raving madman, these outbursts are very infrequent and he only dishes it out to get a reaction, much like SAF did.
Yeah that's my hunch on it as well, if he was in charge of a good team then you'd see a lot more of his strengths as a leader, rather than his supposed weaknesses. He'd have that fear factor similar to Fergie at least, where players feared the wrath if they were to put in a sub par performance. His tactical ability is still a big question mark, but he did well at Sunderland given the circumstances, and a majority of it is down to the players on the pitch at the end of the day.

Skills

Snitch
Yeah that's my hunch on it as well, if he was in charge of a good team then you'd see a lot more of his strengths as a leader, rather than his supposed weaknesses. He'd have that fear factor similar to Fergie at least, where players feared the wrath if they were to put in a sub par performance. His tactical ability is still a big question mark, but he did well at Sunderland given the circumstances, and a majority of it is down to the players on the pitch at the end of the day.
Why would elite players be afraid of Roy Keane? They're not children :confused:

The elite players in football are far, far more valuable and rarer than good managers. Only Pep and Klopp are an exception. It's the managers job to keep the elite players on his side.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No. If any of those already-failures has a chance in a top-club, it's probably Thierry Henry — he had tried to force an incredibly challenging and complicated style of play on a bunch of an underperforming mediocre footballers with a club basically in a free fall. But that's very much it — a chance; I wouldn't bet my money on his success, he's probably way better suited to an assistant role (in which he had excelled for Belgium).

Managing elite team today requires more tactical knowledge than ever and simple motivators won't cut it anymore. You also need flexibility, which is not something that Keane is famous for.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Think he needs elite mentality players similar to Mourinho. You give him Rio, Evra, Neville, Giggs, Cristiano, Rooney etc. they would thrive, he'd keep them on their toes.

Give him shite and they will sink, let him down and turn against him.