*Hypothetically* Would Sir Alex come back to steady the ship and how would that go?

Adcuth

Given the dire times we're going through, do we think it's viable that Fergus would agree to come back on a part time basis to help get us back on track while we appoint the right manager finally? I don't think there's a chance but i just wondered how everyone thinks that would go down if it actually happened. Could he still work his magic or had the game moved on?

Apokalips

Given the dire times we're going through, do we think it's viable that Fergus would agree to come back on a part time basis to help get us back on track while we appoint the right manager finally? I don't think there's a chance but i just wondered how everyone thinks that would go down if it actually happened. Could he still work his magic or had the game moved on?
Not after his health issues. He deserves his rest.

hobbers

It might work as a proper interim manager sort of thing, if it was just until the end of the season and not a feel-good-factor-turned-out-of-depth-full-time-job sort of deal.

At least, most people would struggle to do a worse job than Ole has these last couple of months. SAF managing from now until the end of the season would easily be worth an extra 10-15 points, maybe more.

I say it might work for us, it obviously wouldn't work for him.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Not sure how he’d finish but he’d surely tear multiple assholes to the whole squad. I think retirement causes anyone to lose their touch of magic however.

fergiesarmy1

Would be a sight to behold him managing this bunch of charlatans but absolutely not.

1. Health
2. Reputation
3. Pogba

Kemizee

Not just Fergie. We could ressurect Matt Busby while we are at it.

Bloody hell! -Give it a break and let the legendary man enjoy his well deserved retirement.

AFC NimbleThumb

We beat Arsenal 8-2 with Cleverly & Ando in CM under this man.

I have no doubt he would win England the World Cup with this United squad.

#WengerIn

Red_toad

No as we need a manager to build a squad. So definitely not a caretaker Fergie.
Fans seem to be happy to call for a managers head after 1 active transfer window, so it’ll be a never ending pile of crap chopping and changing of players and systems.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
No. We need to move on from the SAF years, seriously, we really do.

And also, the game has moved on.

Fergie went out a fecking Champion - he shouldn't come back to deal with this mess, he deserves better.

And again, we need to move on as a fanbase - and that includes from the CO92 as well.

Leave it where it belongs - in the past.

redshaw

Please no.

It would affect his health trying to get these players in line.

Luke1995

He'll be 78 by the end of December and don't forget he had a brain injury recently.

Adcuth

Zero imagination in here :lol:.

At least discuss how it would work if he was healthy rather than just saying NO

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He's 77 and was seriously ill last year. No chance of him ever returning to football let the man enjoy his retirement. He deserves it.

el3mel

The man was hospitalized 1 year ago and had health issues. Give him a break.

dave1956

No, Sir Matt came back and that was not a remedy, so Sir Alex would be the same.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wouldn’t want him coming near this shite. He should just enjoy his life as much as he can.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
No, but if in some fictional world he did, I believe he's been out too long to be able to get a solid grip on it again. The motivational qualities also came from every angle, not just himself coaching. He set things up so players felt the magic walking into training. It'd take some doing to get that back now it's been ripped apart.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Having witnessed the abuse Ole receives, I wouldn't wish similar on Sir Alex.

Denis79

Even if he didn't have health issues he deserves to enjoy life and remain the legend that he is. Right now few will argue that he is one if not the greatest manager of all time. Why tarnish that?

Steven-UK

Not just Fergie. We could ressurect Matt Busby while we are at it.

Bloody hell! -Give it a break and let the legendary man enjoy his well deserved retirement.
Exactly. Ridiculous suggestion! Only a moron would suggest otherwise.

diarm

What would be the end game here? What's the best case scenario?

In even the wildest fantasy that he comes back and makes us successful again, he will eventually have to retire for good and we'll be back to square one.

The club needs to restructure itself into an organisation that no longer relies upon the genius of one man because that sort of man comes about once every couple of generations if you are lucky.

Adcuth

No, but if in some fictional world he did, I believe he's been out too long to be able to get a solid grip on it again. The motivational qualities also came from every angle, not just himself coaching. He set things up so players felt the magic walking into training. It'd take some doing to get that back now it's been ripped apart.
20th reply before I got a proper answer. Thank you. Obviously it wouldn't just be Fergie i was imagaining his old back room staff too, given he alone wasnt the reason for the way we used to play. His ability to raise a player above their natural ability was magical though, i was also thinking about the formation we used during the Fergie years and whether it would or could work today.

RooneyLegend

Biggest football related regret is that we didn't get him straight after Fergie. Imagine how things would be now
Its such a bummer hey, imagine the Fergie vs Pep debate after sealing our 7th title in a row...

Eddy_JukeZ

No.

We need to move on from SAF and those years.

I don't think SAF would have it in him now to inspire us much. The man is up there in age and has battled health issues the past year.

He deserves his rest.

Adcuth

Its such a bummer hey, imagine the Fergie vs Pep debate after sealing our 7th title in a row...
Stop it, you're killing me. Imagine football that exciting itmakes you fall behind on your pint with the lads so that when they tell you it's your round......you have to neck half of it in one and head to the bar. Those were the days :drool:

Adcuth

No.

We need to move on from SAF and those years.

I don't think SAF would have it in him now to inspire us much. The man is up there in age and has battled health issues the past year.

He deserves his rest.
Expand on why he wouldn't be able to inspire the squad? I've worded the title wrong and people think I actually want or believe he'd come back.

Also..I'm shit with titles so suggestions to rename it are welcome so we can think beyond his health issues and such

billybee99

It would be very interesting to see how Fergie would deal with Pogba.

Eddy_JukeZ

Expand on why he wouldn't be able to inspire the squad? I've worded the title wrong and people think I actually want or believe he'd come back.

Also..I'm shit with titles so suggestions to rename it are welcome so we can think beyond his health issues and such
I just think he's up there in age now.

I don't think he'd be completely up for it after being away for 6 years and after dealing with more pressing matters like his health.