Would this be a realistic window?

Jericholyte2

Hot off the heals of the Kane news, do we think this kind of window could happen?

In:
Kane: £120-150m
Sancho: Martial + £30-40m
Rice: Lingard + £30m

Out:
Pogba
De Gea - would rather not sell but to raise funds
All the deadwood

21/22 starting lineup:

Henderson
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Rice McT
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Kane

Midfield would be much more balanced; Rice the most defensive, McT box-to-box and Bruno the attacking mid. Threats from both wings and Kane in the middle.

That team would go places I think!

youmeletsfly

Rive and MCT's inability to take the ball out and start creating play would hurt that team a lot.
Also, no way in hell Dortmund would give us Sancho and take Tony in return.

However, I'd still change things:
- no Rashy -> sell him for Sancho - play Sancho on the left
- no MCT- Pogba in there obviously, or F.Ruiz
- no Lindelof - any fast and fit CB should do the trick
- no Kane - I'd go for Halaand or Lautaro
- get a new RW, maybe the Rafinha guy from Leeds - we desperately need a quality left footer.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Hot off the heals of the Kane news, do we think this kind of window could happen?

In:

Out:
Pogba
All the deadwood

21/22 starting lineup:

Henderson
Rice McT
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Kane

Midfield would be much more balanced; Rice the most defensive, McT box-to-box and Bruno the attacking mid. Threats from both wings and Kane in the middle.

With that center defence you'd still win nothing. Not to mention the total lack of a second playmaker in center midfield.

laughtersassassin

Not really we would never pull this off.

Also any combination of our midfield two would be bad.

Rice Fred or Rice McTominay CANNOT be our midfield 2

Rice and Pogba. Now that's a midfield

Kag

That sort of business isn’t remotely plausible, no.

Rice and McTominay in central midfield wouldn’t look out of place at West Ham. It’s an utterly shite midfield pair at this standard.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not a chance. We'll spend far less than most think and the media speculate.

Walters_19_MuFc

Rive and MCT's inability to take the ball out and start creating play would hurt that team a lot.

- get a new RW, maybe the Rafinha guy from Leeds - we desperately need a quality left footer.
:houllier::houllier:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Kane, Sancho and Rice would be a dream window, but I don't see it.

POF

I don't know what's more depressing. The thought that the window you've suggested has a one in a million chance of happening or the fact that the best midfield you can come up with after that window is Rice and McTominay!

Fergie neglected the midfield for years and even so, that would be the worst first choice central midfield pairing in all my time watching United. Vinnie Jones and Lawrie Sanchez had more creativity than that.

Robbie Boy

Do people see us spending much? I don't. I think we'll make some improvements and sell quite a few. Anyone expecting Haaland, Sancho, a new DM and a new CB is hilarious. No club will be spending anything close to that. It's about doing smart business so we can keep on improving.

Walters_19_MuFc

I guess so.

People moaning about the potential pivot of Rice and McTominay need to look at how well Rice and Soucek have done this season.

This is a midfield combination that has seen West Ham work their way up to fourth this season.

Would we need someone more expansive in certain games? Of course, but I believe Ole wants a solid base, leaving him to rely on the full-backs and quartet to create.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

In:

Out:
Pogba
All the deadwood

21/22 starting lineup:

Henderson
Rice McT
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Kane

:lol: Realistic

RedDevilRoshi

Precisely. History pretty much tells you that as when have we ever exceeded spending over £150M-£200M?

Folk predicting/expecting we are gonna spend over £150M-£200M are living in fantasy land.

Ekeke

We'd have done amazingly well to get Sancho or Kane, no chance we get both and most likely no player with a well known name on top of it. Maybe a squad player a rough gem or a youngster

Jericholyte2

I guess so.

People moaning about the potential pivot of Rice and McTominay need to look at how well Rice and Soucek have done this season.

This is a midfield combination that has seen West Ham work their way up to fourth this season.

Would we need someone more expansive in certain games? Of course, but I believe Ole wants a solid base, leaving him to rely on the full-backs and quartet to create.
Absolutely. I think a midfield of those two would work as the two cover an awful lot of ground. They also have enough defensive nouse to cover for attacking FBs and would give Bruno and the front 3 license to stay further forward.

If we wanted to be for expansive in certain games we could then have a midfield 3 of Rice behind both Bruno and VDB, knowing that Rice is more reliable than either McT or Fred as being the DM in a midfield.

Precisely. History pretty much tells you that as when have we ever exceeded spending over £150M-£200M?

Folk predicting/expecting we are gonna spend over £150M-£200M are living in fantasy land.
We would be spending more than £150-200m yes, but with sales the net spend would be pulled back. The idea would be that Pogba and DDG would be sacrificed as well as getting rid of the deadwood which could bring in £70-90m, bringing the net spend down to £80-£130m (based on your numbers).

RedDevilzFox

There will be a lot of broken hearts this summer. I am predicting we will have only 60-70M to spend, if that.

Giggsy13

In:

Out:
Pogba
All the deadwood

21/22 starting lineup:

Henderson
Rice McT
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Kane

Let me know how that goes on FIFA or PES

davidmichael

No because the whole point of signing Rice is so that Pogba and Fernandes can play together to boost our creativity and play to win rather than play not to lose whilst being able to break teams down that play a heavy low block against us, McTominay is a box to box ball winner that’s adding goals to his game but has nowhere near the creativity to break low block teams down which is our problem already.

I’d start laying the groundwork now to move De Gea, Romero, Dalot, Jones, Bailly if he wants to leave, Matic, Pereira, Mata, Lingard, Chong and Cavani all on which would be something crazy like £1.5 million a week in wages alone then bring in the original rumoured targets in Sancho, Rice with Lingard going the other way and Milenkovic.

If we were bringing Kane in then I’d try to move Martial on whilst keeping Cavani on for another year so then you’d have Kane, Greenwood and Cavani and we’d actually get a fee for Martial or offer him to Spurs in a part exchange, didn’t Levy ask for Martial a couple of years ago in a potential deal ? I know Jose would be an issue but I’d be surprised if Jose is there once the season ends especially if Spurs don’t even get a Europa spot.

Sacking Jose will cost them a fortune as well as no fans due to COVID and at a time when they’re already brasic because of the new stadium, would they really turn down an offer worth £100 million for Kane at a time financially like now ? If I was Ole, Murtough and Fletcher I’d be telling the board that signing Kane on top of our original targets is a necessity and an exceptional circumstance that no one could have foreseen.

I think that a starting eleven of Henderson, AWB, Milenkovic, Maguire, Shaw, Rice, Pogba, Sancho, Fernandes, Rashford, Kane is realistic IF we managed to get Milenkovic cheap, Rice in a swap deal for Lingard to bring the price down, Sancho for cheap (£50-£60 million) due to Dortmund missing out on a CL place and Kane with Spurs missing out on Europe and needing to sell and us moving our outgoing players on so it’ll be a job but can be done.

Coops73

No and where does this talk of Rice come from?

All I’ve heard and read is that he favours a move to the chavs but to be fair I’ve only heard and read that from the same shite that tenuously links us to to him in the first place. :houllier:

Jericholyte2

No and where does this talk of Rice come from?

All I’ve heard and read is that he favours a move to the chavs but to be fair I’ve only heard and read that from the same shite that tenuously links us to to him in the first place. :houllier:
It's mostly been Cafe-chat but a few journalists have been mentioning the possibility in this happening due to our willingness to sell Lingard, their wanting to buy him, and our need to a DM. Reports had previously suggested that Chelsea's interest in Rice ended with Lampard's sacking.

dinostar77

I honestly dont get why any fan thinks Utd will buy a 3rd right winger in successive windows. Can just imagine the conversation woodward and judge will have with joel glazer about green lighting a Sancho bid.

"Joel we would like to buy a RW ie. Sancho in this window. Yeh we know covid has decimated our finances. We need a CB partner for Maguire, a long term CF, possibly a replacement for Pogba but in this window we'd like to spend £80mil on a RW."

Joel Glazer: "but we spend circa £50mil on 2 x RWs under 12 months ago and you want to sign another?"

Lets face it, Sancho ain't going anywhere, if Dortmund sell Haaland this summer then Sancho is staying put. We have bigger needs for our team.

For me personally a realistic window is a CB, a backup RB and anything above that is dependent on players going and coming in. If Cavani goes then we bring in a CF. If Pogba goes we bring in a CM. If henderson or de gea goes we bring in a keeper.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You need around 60m or 65m net spent to call it realistic. Anything above that net spent is basically unrealistic and very wishful. And also to be realistic, those deadwoods are likely to leave on loan not permanently with fees. Just like Lingard & Smalling, those players need to go on loan and perform first to prove their worth.

Jericholyte2

I honestly dont get why any fan thinks Utd will buy a 3rd right winger in successive windows. Can just imagine the conversation woodward and judge will have with joel glazer about green lighting a Sancho bid.

"Joel we would like to buy a RW ie. Sancho in this window. Yeh we know covid has decimated our finances. We need a CB partner for Maguire, a long term CF, possibly a replacement for Pogba but in this window we'd like to spend £80mil on a RW."

Joel Glazer: "but we spend circa £50mil on 2 x RWs under 12 months ago and you want to sign another?"

Lets face it, Sancho ain't going anywhere, if Dortmund sell Haaland this summer then Sancho is staying put. We have bigger needs for our team.

For me personally a realistic window is a CB, a backup RB and anything above that is dependent on players going and coming in. If Cavani goes then we bring in a CF. If Pogba goes we bring in a CM. If henderson or de gea goes we bring in a keeper.
I’ll accept Amad but James is a LW, all his best games have been from the left.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Same people going mad about a Fred McT midfield calling for a Rice Mct midfield :lol:
Did you guys see Pogba and Mct last night? It was rough enough especially vs a midfield of free transfers. Mct for me anyway is an option but not the player you start the league with and aim to keep fit and play in nearly every game. He still needs to improve an awful lot before he’ll ever be first choice here. Gun to head he’s more likely to be rotation and out of the club in his late 20s like so many squad players before him.

Oranges038

Maybe if you go into edit mode and move those players before you start your game.

theklr

Think we can get Sancho + Rice (if Lingard swap) or a CB and thats about it

Doracle

This is the problem though. I agree that level of investment is unrealistic but, ultimately, if we want a genuine shot at challenging City, then it’s needed. Those signings and retaining Pogba would give us a squad string enough to compete.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we just sign Rice and a top striker (not necessarily Kane, as 120m for a 28 yo striker in this market might be a bit too high), I'll be more than happy. Obviously, this also includes Pogba not going anywhere

OleGunnar20

This is the problem though. I agree that level of investment is unrealistic but, ultimately, if we want a genuine shot at challenging City, then it’s needed. Those signings and retaining Pogba would give us a squad string enough to compete.
Spot on. We need to and could quite easily make moves like this, considering what a money making machine we are. Of course we won't as the Glazers have nothing to gain from pushing us for a title challenge.

Even with Pogba leaving id be surprised if we get £100m to spend this summer. £60m seems more likely if he stays.

I think competition at CB / ST & Possibly RB is the best we can hope for really. Signings ala Telles / Milenkovic.

We'll need to be very smart if so.

I expect a starting 11 along the lines of the following going into next season:

Henderson
Awb - New Cb / Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
McTom / Fred - Pogba / VDB
Amad / Greenwood - Bruno - Rashford
Martial / New Striker

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21

You want to sell Rashford? Have you fell down the stairs recently?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Do people see us spending much? I don't. I think we'll make some improvements and sell quite a few. Anyone expecting Haaland, Sancho, a new DM and a new CB is hilarious. No club will be spending anything close to that. It's about doing smart business so we can keep on improving.
Yep, it's no shock we've been linked with a tonne of younger players on expiring contracts. Think it will be our MO this summer and if we can carefully structure a big deal for one big signing, we will, but I'm not holding my breathe