Would this be a realistic window?

Lennon

I used to be in the "Get Haaland at all costs" boat but the more I hear what's going on, I say feck him and his camp. Kane would be fantastic but financially unrealistic. Patson Daka is my shout! This guy looks like a quality player for a fair price. Let De Gea, Cavani and Martial go and get Sancho! Maybe we can get a deal with West Ham for Rice in exchange for Lingard and cash. With 2 or 3 other deadwood leaving, we should be good and do realistic business imo.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Don’t think Kane or Haaland will be coming. Think it might be worth signing a striker in his prime from the tier below those two, and spending the money elsewhere. Get someone like Ings who is 28, available and knows where the goal is. By the time he declines Greenwood is ready to lead the line. Then buy players like Grealish and Sancho to put chances on a plate for him.

We can blow all our budget on Kane but we need someone to create something.

OrcaFat

Hell no.

Absolutely no way we blow the necessary wad on Kane.

RUCK4444

Hell no.

Absolutely no way we blow the necessary wad on Kane.
We won't but we probably should.

Finishing chances has been a real problem for us this season, has cost us a shed load of points and made staying in the hunt for first impossible.

We are all aware of the various positions that we need to strengthen but an elite striker who guarantees 25+ goals probably yields the biggest improvement for us next season.

I would make signings in the following order:
~Striker (For the reasons above)
~DM (IMO this position would provide a major boost for both the defence and attacking players simultaneously)
~RW (Has been neglected for 10 years but we have Amad and Greenwood to rotate there)
~CB (Would prefer us to sign a quick CB. However as above would be improved with DM.)

In that order of importance IMO.

stubie

Let’s just face it we’re only going to sign Martin Braithwaite, at least I’m just gearing up for the summer being that way

OrcaFat

Finishing chances has been a real problem for us this season, has cost us a shed load of points and made staying in the hunt for first impossible.

We are all aware of the various positions that we need to strengthen but an elite striker who guarantees 25+ goals probably yields the biggest improvement for us next season.

~DM (IMO this position would provide a major boost for both the defence and attacking players simultaneously)
~RW (Has been neglected for 10 years but we have Amad and Greenwood to rotate there)
~CB (Would prefer us to sign a quick CB. However as above would be improved with DM.)

Makes sense but my priority order would be:
DM
CF
CB
RW

Kane is obviously awesome but his average position is too deep for me, I’d prefer a pacy off-the-shoulder-of-the-CB type to work best with Bruno. If Kane was free, gratis, at no cost at all, then yes of course. But he would be extraordinarily expensive. We need that money spent on other positions.

RUCK4444

Makes sense but my priority order would be:
DM
CF
CB
RW

Kane is obviously awesome but his average position is too deep for me, I’d prefer a pacy off-the-shoulder-of-the-CB type to work best with Bruno. If Kane was free, gratis, at no cost at all, then yes of course. But he would be extraordinarily expensive. We need that money spent on other positions.
On the bolded, Kane is being asked to play this way for Spurs as they don’t have a Bruno in the side, he’s basically a no 10 and a no 9 for them.

He’s able to play like that for Spurs as he’s a gifted footballer in fairness and very creative with a great passing range (and Son to link with.)

I would play Kane further up in his natural no 9 position. He backs into and manhandles defenders as good as anybody.
This would allow our pacy players to play off of him, with the ball sticking when it goes forward, which it rarely does now.

A fit and in form Kane could be perfect in that position for us. He’s also excellent on the counter attack (a strong point for us as a team) who almost always makes the correct pass in transition on the counter.

I’m talking myself into signing Kane over Haaland here... :lol:

OrcaFat

On the bolded, Kane is being asked to play this way for Spurs as they don’t have a Bruno in the side, he’s basically a no 10 and a no 9 for them.

He’s able to play like that for Spurs as he’s a gifted footballer in fairness and very creative with a great passing range (and Son to link with.)

I would play Kane further up in his natural no 9 position. He backs into and manhandles defenders as good as anybody.
This would allow our pacy players to play off of him, with the ball sticking when it goes forward, which it rarely does now.

A fit and in form Kane could be perfect in that position for us. He’s also excellent on the counter attack (a strong point for us as a team) who almost always makes the correct pass in transition on the counter.

Yeah, you make some good points.

Craig Ward

I guess so.

People moaning about the potential pivot of Rice and McTominay need to look at how well Rice and Soucek have done this season.

This is a midfield combination that has seen West Ham work their way up to fourth this season.

Would we need someone more expansive in certain games? Of course, but I believe Ole wants a solid base, leaving him to rely on the full-backs and quartet to create.
The standards we need at Man Utd far outway West ham, even in this they're best prem season of all time probably.

Rice is a decent player and may well step up playing alongside better players at a bigger club, and Soucek has done well. But you cannot compare the standards needed at W,Ham and us - it's a complete different standard.

Rice and McTom would be ball achingly limited. Rice is a bit of a destroyer - decent on the ball but doesnt really pass well. Doesnt command the ball from the CB's. Biggest attribute seems to be breaking play up. A poor mans Kante in his prime, if you will. McTom avoids the ball, can only pass sideways and lets half the game pass him by. Neither are good enough positionally or technically for our DM position for me.

Granted - the two are young and it's a very difficult position to master. Both may come good. But the two of them seems a bit limited for me so i fully understand the concerns.

If we solely rely on our full backs for creativity then we need to sign new one's. AWB cannot attack, he;s the best defensive full back in the country but attacking he is not. Shaws having a great season - but he's hardly an attacking menace either.

So as well as a CF, RW, DM and CB you can add two FB's to your shopping list with your logic.

Tallis

No doubt, Kane would be great fit for us.But I don’t think he is affordable - he should have inserted an escape clause in his contract for €100m or so. As it is, I think Spurs will ask for €150m and above and there is no contract expiry pressure.

RUCK4444

No doubt, Kane would be great fit for us.But I don’t think he is affordable - he should have inserted an escape clause in his contract for €100m or so. As it is, I think Spurs will ask for €150m and above and there is no contract expiry pressure.
Yeah the money and Levy will be a problem. It would take some real pressure from the player as well, perhaps even a transfer request to grease the wheels on any potential transfer.

Nobody will pay what Levy will want, not in this post-covid market, so it will take assistance from the player and I'm not sure he seems the type to kick up a major fuss.

The contract he signed was beyond stupid, committing his absolute peak years to Spurs with no reasonable release clause.

Offsideagain

I am usually an optimistic type of person, but when it comes to United and transfers I am never convinced that they know what they are doing and that Woodward is more concerned about the money than the quality when it comes to bringing players in. I wouldn’t give anything to that greedy Raiola or Haalands Dad regardless of who they represent. Radiolaria had caused issues at the club and Alfie Haaland has stated he hates United and it’s players so f£££ them. The media will be full of nonsense for months and we will sign somebody on the last day or week as usual. No idea who though.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Realistic seems exactly what we've witnessed in previous summer window.

Better to prepare for surprising names. From OP it looks like Rice could be most realistic so far. Can't say if Dortmund can afford Martial in their current situation. With Sancho it's the same game between United and Borussia. The only way I see it realistic, if Sancho forms a transfer request to bring the prohibitive price down a bit.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I don’t think release clauses can be contained in contracts in the Uk in a way that’s meaningful.

KW2006

I would be happy with a Cavani-type striker(or that he stays), a Telles-type righ back(eg Tripper), and a good CM/DC, plus Pogba happily stays.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Rive and MCT's inability to take the ball out and start creating play would hurt that team a lot.
Also, no way in hell Dortmund would give us Sancho and take Tony in return.

However, I'd still change things:
- no Rashy -> sell him for Sancho - play Sancho on the left
- no MCT- Pogba in there obviously, or F.Ruiz
- no Lindelof - any fast and fit CB should do the trick
- no Kane - I'd go for Halaand or Lautaro
- get a new RW, maybe the Rafinha guy from Leeds - we desperately need a quality left footer.
Buy Sancho but play him on the left, so we need to get another right winger?

WTF hahaha, how do people come up with this stuff?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Summer before last we got AWB James and maguire. Spend about 150

This year we got Bruno VDB Amad and Telles. Spend about 140/150

I’m genuinely confident we spend over 100 million again this summer seeing we’ve done no deals in January and we have a few players out on loan doing well who should fetch a decent price. Fans are coming back so this is the last chance to take any value out of the covid affected market We will finally fill a few of those niggling spots and VDB Hannibal Amad Garner and Pellistri can be rotation options. We are looking pretty good before we even spend anything if we can hang on to Cavani and Pogba.

Last edited:

Withnail

Do people see us spending much? I don't. I think we'll make some improvements and sell quite a few. Anyone expecting Haaland, Sancho, a new DM and a new CB is hilarious. No club will be spending anything close to that. It's about doing smart business so we can keep on improving.
The most we spend normally is about 70m which obviously can be topped up with sales. I'd be surprised if we make even one big signing this summer.

Ali Dia

The most we spend normally is about 70m which obviously can be topped up with sales. I'd be surprised if we make even one big signing this summer.
I get the 70 million thing with Lukaku leaving but last year without any major transfer income we still spent well over 100 if you include Bruno. It’s just during the summer we spent it on players the fans weren’t really calling for which make it feel underwhelming (also apart from Cavani it’s fair to say they have been underwhelming up to this point.) I genuinely think we go over 100 again this year. I think we might even go to 200 on incoming talent if we make good sales and wage cuts. We started pleading poverty a few months back but I reckon it’s posturing with Dortmund over Sancho who will probably be our main target again this summer.

Last edited:

Withnail

I get the 70 million thing with Lukaku leaving but last year without any major transfer income we still spent well over 100 if you include Bruno. It’s just during the summer we spent it on players the fans weren’t really calling for which make it feel underwhelming (also apart from Cavani it’s fair to say they have been underwhelming up to this point.) I genuinely think we go over 100 again this year. I think we might even go to 200 on incoming talent if we make good sales and wage cuts. We started pleading poverty a few months back but I reckon it’s posturing with Dortmund over Sancho who will probably be our main target again this summer.
Looking back over the past 5 seasons, it's a net spend of 100m on average so higher than I thought but yeah to spend 200m (if this was a normal year) you're talking selling Pogba, getting a good price for Lingard and getting rid of what's left of the deadwood. I'm not sure there is anyone who's going to buy Pogba and replacing him is going to be pricey anyway so you're probably just going to spend what you get on his replacement.

With the impact of covid I just don't see a big spend happening. I'll be delighted to be wrong obviously but I'm steering clear of the muppet train this year and am not getting invested in any of these rumours. Well that's the current plan :lol:

Ali Dia

Looking back over the past 5 seasons, it's a net spend of 100m on average so higher than I thought but yeah to spend 200m (if this was a normal year) you're talking selling Pogba, getting a good price for Lingard and getting rid of what's left of the deadwood. I'm not sure there is anyone who's going to buy Pogba and replacing him is going to be pricey anyway so you're probably just going to spend what you get on his replacement.

With the impact of covid I just don't see a big spend happening. I'll be delighted to be wrong obviously but I'm steering clear of the muppet train this year and am not getting invested in any of these rumours. Well that's the current plan :lol:
I say it every year.... I said it a few weeks ago but I can feel the muppet juices stirring. Transfers are half the craic (for fans of other clubs anyway :lol: )

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If you sell Pogba, you get a replacement in, who is quite competent on the ball. If not, we are fecked.

red4ever 79

I dont think we are going to sign a marque name like a Sancho or a Haaland. People anticipating that we will are in for a shock I believe

I can see us signing younger players with potential, I really hope we get a good CB who is mobile and I would be happy with a young ish striker

I think we will see a number of players leave though
Cavani
De Gea
Bailly
Lingard

Not sure about Dalot and Perriera if they will stay or if there will be any takers

Jezpeza

There will be a lot of broken hearts this summer. I am predicting we will have only 60-70M to spend, if that.
Lots dont want to believe it, but a while back I read an article from yonder year from when the Glazers showed up where Kenyon or Gill said that there would be about £50m available for transfers a season. Last time i did the maths the Glazers net spend for the years they have owned us was at £57 odd million. Thats why we see them stop spending like they have with JM and Ole after the initial outlay for the new manager.

Personally I Can see one major signing. Last summer was tight for a lot of teams and that was with 3 months of covid finances, not 15 months.

some obvious deadweight - dalot, pereira, lingard and chong will most likely be sold if there are buyers. Wont get trillions for them but will likey make up the bulk of what we are able to spend. I bet we still wont be able to sell Phil Jones, he’ll most likely get fit towards end of season then break his leg making a brew or something.

we have a lot of good youth players currently out on loan or on fringes of squad, can see some going out to play on loan.

romero and grant out of contract, probably Mata too. Best our wage bill has been for ages probably.

Crustanoid

Ed, for the love of god, at least don’t drag it out until deadline day, regardless of who we sign. It’s imperative that we prepare adequately if we’re going to challenge.

RedDevilzFox

Lots dont want to believe it, but a while back I read an article from yonder year from when the Glazers showed up where Kenyon or Gill said that there would be about £50m available for transfers a season. Last time i did the maths the Glazers net spend for the years they have owned us was at £57 odd million. Thats why we see them stop spending like they have with JM and Ole after the initial outlay for the new manager.

Personally I Can see one major signing. Last summer was tight for a lot of teams and that was with 3 months of covid finances, not 15 months.

some obvious deadweight - dalot, pereira, lingard and chong will most likely be sold if there are buyers. Wont get trillions for them but will likey make up the bulk of what we are able to spend. I bet we still wont be able to sell Phil Jones, he’ll most likely get fit towards end of season then break his leg making a brew or something.

we have a lot of good youth players currently out on loan or on fringes of squad, can see some going out to play on loan.

romero and grant out of contract, probably Mata too. Best our wage bill has been for ages probably.
I am not even sure how you do 'major' signing with 60-70M. If we sold all the deadwood with moderate success, maybe then we'll have 1 big signing. But then we need a striker and DM at the very least. MF too if Pogba fecks off.

Jezpeza

I am not even sure how you do 'major' signing with 60-70M. If we sold all the deadwood with moderate success, maybe then we'll have 1 big signing. But then we need a striker and DM at the very least. MF too if Pogba fecks off.
you can easily get a major signing for 60 or 70m quid. Bruno cost less than 50 for example. Dias cost City 61, Rodri about 60, both players of comparible quality to signings we might make, and in the same positions we need, so would be a similar price. Pogba would get a good chunk if he goes and wouldnt need much added to the fee to replace.

quite confident to say we wont make 4 big signings and spend 200 million quid, but we can probably make one and also replace pogba if he goes.

croadyman

Would love to sign Varane but does feel we need some established quality in other positions too and pretty confident that we will only buy one first XI player in the summer but which position right now I haven't got a clue

gorky_utd

For me
In: Sancho, pau torres, Camavinga
Total: 90+50+40=180 mil
Out: Pogba, Lingard, Bailly, Pereira, Romero
Total: 50+25+15=90 mil
If Pogba stays it should be 100mil net otherwise around 90 mil which should be doable. Cavani should stay for 1 more year.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Rive and MCT's inability to take the ball out and start creating play would hurt that team a lot.
Also, no way in hell Dortmund would give us Sancho and take Tony in return.

However, I'd still change things:
- no Rashy -> sell him for Sancho - play Sancho on the left
- no MCT- Pogba in there obviously, or F.Ruiz
- no Lindelof - any fast and fit CB should do the trick
- no Kane - I'd go for Halaand or Lautaro
- get a new RW, maybe the Rafinha guy from Leeds - we desperately need a quality left footer.
Yeah, No!

Craig Ward

Realistically this will be a window that we must focus on the outgoings. We have a bulky squad and far too many players on the books who offer little ri nothing to the first team now.

We need to find a buyer for:
Jones
Lingard
Romero
Bailly
Dalot

Questions over the long term future of:
Martial
Pogba
De Gea
Tuanzebe

Not to mention Cavani is still up in the air.

Mata and Matic are unlikely to play a big part next season so that makes you wonder whether we should push for a sale with these two as well.

At the absolute minimum we need to sign a CB, a DM and a CF.

Some quality in these positions transform us, as long as we continue the trend that Ole has started of shipping the so called "deadwood" out and trying to make the squad competitive we will be ok next year.

My biggest worry is we need 3 signings at a minimum - good signings, not up and coming signings - we need 3 established pro's in CB, DM and CF. Then we will be forced to do other business if certain players leave. Eg Pogba. If he goes, we need to sign another midfield player. it will be hard enough to sign quality players, let alone 4. We may have to be savvy or stagger the business over the next two windows.

Most of the players i've earmarked above to leave make no impact on the first team squad, but some do.

Going to be a tricky window and I hope we get it right. Outgoings are key

OrcaFat

you can easily get a major signing for 60 or 70m quid. Bruno cost less than 50 for example. Dias cost City 61, Rodri about 60, both players of comparible quality to signings we might make, and in the same positions we need, so would be a similar price. Pogba would get a good chunk if he goes and wouldnt need much added to the fee to replace.

quite confident to say we wont make 4 big signings and spend 200 million quid, but we can probably make one and also replace pogba if he goes.
Yes, this sounds pretty likely. I’d say one marquee signing. Maybe a couple of guys for the future or an experienced free transfer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Spot on. We need to and could quite easily make moves like this, considering what a money making machine we are. Of course we won't as the Glazers have nothing to gain from pushing us for a title challenge.

Even with Pogba leaving id be surprised if we get £100m to spend this summer. £60m seems more likely if he stays.

I think competition at CB / ST & Possibly RB is the best we can hope for really. Signings ala Telles / Milenkovic.

We'll need to be very smart if so.

I expect a starting 11 along the lines of the following going into next season:

Henderson
Awb - New Cb / Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
McTom / Fred - Pogba / VDB
Amad / Greenwood - Bruno - Rashford
Martial / New Striker
Love it when fans say we could easily make moves like this. Have you watched the news in the last year?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Cb last thing to sign I see.

tuanzebe, Bailly and Jones all injury prone. Lindelöf is now carrying his back. That leaves maguire. Not a good idea to go into a new season like that, I actually think it’s our priority

RUCK4444

tuanzebe, Bailly and Jones all injury prone. Lindelöf is now carrying his back. That leaves maguire. Not a good idea to go into a new season like that, I actually think it’s our priority
Yeah it needs adressing from that perspective but we’ve not really been caught short of numbers at the back over the past few seasons. Namely down to Maguire’s ability to never get injurrr..... nah I won’t say it, don’t wanna jinx it :)

I think the back four performance wise will improve with a better DM to partner Pogba. Also the defence has been in its best spell for a good while just recently.

That said I am very interested in this link with Varane, I’ve wanted us to sign him back before his Madrid move.

It’s exciting but frustrating that we still have gaps to fill in the squad, we’re close but more than one window away from fully addressing the weaknesses. Like a jigsaw that’s almost complete, what piece to pick next.

I always think about what signing would most improve our on field performances the most, I think DM and ST are the two we stand to see the most improvement from overall.

croadyman

Yeah worrying to say the least that Whitwell didn't even mention it in his podcast with Webby & O Neill

TrebleFan99

Valencia Shin Crosses

Hot off the heals of the Kane news, do we think this kind of window could happen?

In:
Kane: £120-150m
Sancho: Martial + £30-40m
Rice: Lingard + £30m

Out:
Pogba
De Gea - would rather not sell but to raise funds
All the deadwood

21/22 starting lineup:

Henderson
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Rice McT
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Kane

Midfield would be much more balanced; Rice the most defensive, McT box-to-box and Bruno the attacking mid. Threats from both wings and Kane in the middle.

That team would go places I think!
If we pay 150m for Harry Kane I’ll shoot myself.