Would this be a realistic window?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Rive and MCT's inability to take the ball out and start creating play would hurt that team a lot.
Also, no way in hell Dortmund would give us Sancho and take Tony in return.

However, I'd still change things:
- no Rashy -> sell him for Sancho - play Sancho on the left
- no MCT- Pogba in there obviously, or F.Ruiz
- no Lindelof - any fast and fit CB should do the trick
- no Kane - I'd go for Halaand or Lautaro
- get a new RW, maybe the Rafinha guy from Leeds - we desperately need a quality left footer.
I feel like I should react to this but have no idea how to. Some posts are simply bizarre.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If anyone has being paying attention you would know CB is a priority this window. RB is more of a priority than a DM atm. We are not getting a DM unless Pogba leaves. Same thing goes for Striker with Cavani. And Sancho becomes a priority but entirely dependent on Dortmund slashing their asking price (I'd say to around 60m).

CB - I think realistically we'd try for Varane and if we don't get him would end up with Pau Torres. I think we want a left footed centre back for tactical reasons and not just to defend

RB - Someone cheap. Don't know any

DM(if Pogba leaves) - Neves

ST(if Cavani leaves) - Someone cheap. Low risk high reward. Maybe Ings or we go with Greenwood if he starts performing there.

Best case scenario would be to keep Pogba and Cavani. We get Sancho as Dortmund lower their asking price. I want to say we get Varane but this stinks of us wasting our time on this one again. So we get Pau Torres and then some cheap RB if we make enough sales

Cavani
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Fred Pogba
Shaw Torres Maguire AWB
Henderson

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
IN:
Sancho - £50m
Rice - £50m
Varane - £50m

OUT:
Lingard - £20m
De Gea - £10m
Romero - free
Jones - free
I’m not sure how realistic this one is, but from the options that can at least remotely happen this would be my choice as well. Sancho and Rice would probably add north of 30m combined to that conservative tally of 150m, but if we’re selling Lingard at a good price as well as Dalot & De Gea, we can theoretically afford this. I don’t think that we will though.

youmeletsfly

Hate is a strong word, why do you feel it for Marcus?
It is a strong word to be fair.

He'd be such a great player if he'd remove the dumb part of his play where he sticks his head into the ground and tries to bomb forward through 5 defenders.

I hated that about Cristiano when he was young.

Rashford is what, 23 now and still has these moments of utter stupidity about him.

Maybe he is playing injured and can not focus, I dont know.

I can't fathom the moments of pure brilliance acompanied by his usual habbit of killing a lot of our offensive plays by just not lifting his head up and looking around him.

RkkMan

If anyone has being paying attention you would know CB is a priority this window. RB is more of a priority than a DM atm. We are not getting a DM unless Pogba leaves. Same thing goes for Striker with Cavani. And Sancho becomes a priority but entirely dependent on Dortmund slashing their asking price (I'd say to around 60m).

CB - I think realistically we'd try for Varane and if we don't get him would end up with Pau Torres. I think we want a left footed centre back for tactical reasons and not just to defend

RB - Someone cheap. Don't know any

DM(if Pogba leaves) - Neves

ST(if Cavani leaves) - Someone cheap. Low risk high reward. Maybe Ings or we go with Greenwood if he starts performing there.

Best case scenario would be to keep Pogba and Cavani. We get Sancho as Dortmund lower their asking price. I want to say we get Varane but this stinks of us wasting our time on this one again. So we get Pau Torres and then some cheap RB if we make enough sales

Cavani
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Fred Pogba
Shaw Torres Maguire AWB
Henderson

This is exactly how I see our window going. I thought Cavani would leave but I have a feeling he'll have a change of heart and extend thus shoving plans to buy a No9. At RB there's a few links to Lucas Vasquez on a free and Trippier who has a year left on his deal so I'd see a fee of £15m max

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Does Martial wants to go to Dortmund? This isn't north american sports, players have a say on where they go.

Bondi77

It is a strong word to be fair.

He'd be such a great player if he'd remove the dumb part of his play where he sticks his head into the ground and tries to bomb forward through 5 defenders.

I hated that about Cristiano when he was young.

Rashford is what, 23 now and still has these moments of utter stupidity about him.

Maybe he is playing injured and can not focus, I dont know.

I can't fathom the moments of pure brilliance acompanied by his usual habbit of killing a lot of our offensive plays by just not lifting his head up and looking around him.
He does some brilliant things but I definitely understand where you are coming from.
I think the brilliant attacking players watch the movement of the defenders when they are up close and move accordingly to go past them but I think Marcus already knows what moves he wants to do regardless what the defender is going to do and that is why he sometimes just runs into the defender and looks really clumsy.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
My prediction is an approx £50m net spend. For me, the only players that have a chance of being sold for actual fees are:

Lingard
Bailey (maybe)
James (if the club wanted to raise funds)
Martial (not sure the club will do it)

However, of those players you aren't looking at mega bucks. Lingard would be in the £15-£20m category. Bailey with his injuries £7-15m, James £10-15m, Martial I don't think would actually be sold.

That gives a gross spend of £65m-£100m.

That rules out Kane/Håland straight away. Sancho could possibly happen but would require some negotiation. Rice I think is also unlikely, West Ham will have European football next season so will be relatively flush for them and have him under contract for another 3/4 years. No need for them to sell Rive this Summer.

OleGunnar20

Love it when fans say we could easily make moves like this. Have you watched the news in the last year?
The Glazers bought us - one of the biggest sporting brands in the world - with our own money.

They're smart people who know how to make money work. To add to this FFP is now all but dead.

You don't think they could find a way to pull off a big (what are we talking here, say 150-200m? I can't find the original post I quoted) transfer window?

They lack the will to do so, not the capability.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The Glazers bought us - one of the biggest sporting brands in the world - with our own money.

They're smart people who know how to make money work. To add to this FFP is now all but dead.

You don't think they could find a way to pull off a big (what are we talking here, say 150-200m? I can't find the original post I quoted) transfer window?

Perhaps, but they didn’t do it with no covid why would they do it now?

OleGunnar20

Perhaps, but they didn’t do it with no covid why would they do it now?
Ayye well they won't, of course not.

My point was that both they and the club as a whole are perfectly capable of pulling that kind of thing off. If the will was there to do so.

They lack the will to do so as they're more than happy with top four. So it won't happen.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
That’s all our business done for the summer after today’s developments. Feels like renewing contracts will be a win.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Could guarantee the answer to this thread was "NO" before I even looked in.

Then looked in and saw us signing Kane, Sancho and Rice in the same summer. Just wow.

Diabovermelho

In:
Rice: Lingard + £ 40m
Varane: £ 50m
Ings: £ 25m

Out:
Dalot: £ 15m
Bailly: £ 15m
Pereira: £ 10m
Chong: £ 5m
Mata: Free
Cavani: Free
De Gea: loan

Total Net Spend: £ 70m

Last edited:

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
No, it's day dream fantasy football!
  • Firstly the club doesn't really have a spare 150 million at the moment to buy kane, we are losing money and should not be making record signings, (especially injury-prone players who likely have more good year behind them than in front), unless we want to get ourselves in the trouble Bara or Madrid are in
  • Secondly, no way in hell Dortmund would accept that deal! If they sell Sancho it is going to be because they want to balance the books, 30-40 million isn't going to cut that, add to that Dortmund couldn't afford Martial's wages
  • Who is going to buy De Gea? still a good goalkeeper but he is definitely on the decline and is the highest paid goalkeeper in world football, who is going to take that on? If we sell De Gea it will be for very cheap in a way to try and get the wages off the books, we may even have to subsidize it.
  • Who really has any money to buy Pogba? and how much would we even get for him considering football is skint and he has 1 year of his contract left?

Really fans you think things like this are even remotely feasible at the moment, even if the glazers up and sold need to get their head checked!

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

I'm sure if they want to they could do it, they have a club worth 4 billion to offset the debt against, so they could plunge the club into further debt reorganize loan payments..... they could raise the funds. Would it be wise to do it?
If they are smart people who know how money works, are they likely to think smashing the British transfer fee at a time football is skint, the club is losing money, for a player who is getting more injury-prone by the season and likely has more good years behind of him than ahead of him, is smart?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
CB? Bailly extension. Check.
CF? Cavani extension. Next week.
RWF? Diallo in, Greenwood picking up form. Check.
DMF? Matic still has 2 years. Check.

Job done for the summer methinks.

Tallis

I can’t see Ole spending a lot on a CB. I suspect we sign some kid with potential

DM - unless Pogba leaves, I don’t think we sign a MF.

My feeling is that Ole’s priorities are a Striker and a backup RB. Plus a low cost CB. I don’t think we are in the market for a RW. That’s the natural position for Mason (at least for time being) and Amad.

Not saying that this is what I think should happen but more of what I think will happen.

RkkMan

The last time we failed to sign a player in the transfer window was over 30 years ago. Even with The Glazers as our owners us not signing anyone even on the verge of Bankruptcy is ridiculously unlikely. Suspect a CB signing is a no go with Bailly staying. Back up GK, back up RB and perhaps a DM plus a budget attacking signing

croadyman

You know this club too well

Diabovermelho

Those rumours about Ronaldo being available for 50m, should Juve miss the UCL...

We could sign him, Rice and Trippier. I don't think we'll be in the hunt for a new CB after Bailly's extension.

Hester_manc

I would like:

Joakim Mæhle;
He is "the real deal" and not just a player who is good at this European Championship. I've seen him play several times before, and this has - gradually - become his level. He can play both right and left back. In particular, he will be able to give Bissaka competition for a place. Especially in games where we have to attack. Mæhle is at least as good offensively as Shaw.

Renato Sanches;
He is only 23 years old and can develop a lot yet. He is creative in central midfield and will be a great alternative to McTominay and Fred, who are both better defensively.