Would United have turned down a bid of £70-100m for Pogba this summer?

Kingantti1874

Supports
Hearts
Madrid are going to have some summer in 2022. Pogba and Mbappe on a free transfer and probably buy Halland using the money they never spent on Mbappe

kthanksbye

PSG want Pogba, I can't think of a single club that can afford him, and needed him for this season, why would they pay any money in transfer fees?

flappyjay

feel United would have only taken it if they had a like-for-like replacement lined up. Otherwise it would've made their midfield even less balanced than it already is.
Ole sees Pogba as a winger before a midfielder. So I don't think it would have been about getting a like for like replacement. A box to box midfielder who can play in a double pivot or a dm would have been the target.

GBBQ

Our transfer plan was net outgoings of around £100 mil so assuming that we could only replace Pogba with however much we got for his sale means that unless we were getting 70 mil+ I don't know if it would have been sensible to sell him from a footballing front.

tomaldinho1

Madrid are going to have some summer in 2022. Pogba and Mbappe on a free transfer and probably buy Halland using the money they never spent on Mbappe
It's insane. Pogba, Mbappe, pretty much all of Chelsea's defence (Christensen, Rudiger, Azpi), Pedri, Fati, O Dembele, Goretzka, Kessi, Dybala, Insigne, brozovic, Pellegrini, Di Maria all expiring '22 according to tranfermarkt.

OleTheGreat

I don't think we would've turned anything higher than 70 mil but I think we full well knew that that isn't going to happen and we are still hoping to sign him up for the next 5 years. I think he is a great player and has a huge range of passes but he is very slow on the ball and therefore needs to play in a La Liga where the games are generally slow and you get play a lot with the ball at your feet. Leagues like La Liga and Ligue 1 will suit him well because the pace of the game is much slower compared to that of the PL. We have had him since 2016 and I have seen enough of him to believe he is definitely world class on his day but those days are far and few in between. He has started this season well and hopefully it goes well and he gets many goals and assists to prove me wrong or else he will leave for free.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I feel partly responsible for this thread... Sorry I drove you to it, stevoc :)

I feel United would have only taken it if they had a like-for-like replacement lined up. Otherwise it would've made their midfield even less balanced than it already is.

What I was arguing against was the notion that United would have had no choice but to sell because of financial concerns. They've wasted a few hundred millions too many to make that claim.
Like for like replacement is the last thing we need. There is no agreement what kind of player he is, definitely not a CM who can play in midfield two (our default, and unfortunately only effective setup) . Doesn't do it for France (there's always the 3rd supporting midfielder), and certainly doesn't do it well for United.

United would and should take any decent bid, I have no doubt about it. He's fine on the left wing for now, but we are crying for midfield reinforcements and Pogba isn't the answer.

TheLord

70-100m !
The club would have happily taken anything north of 40m, IMO.

Andersons Dietician

So I reckon there's no way United would have turned down a large bid for Pogba this summer with him having less than a year left on his deal. I posted this thought in a thread today and another poster thinks the idea is nonsense. To me the club just couldn't turn a bid like that down with Pogba looking like he probably won't renew his contract, almost no club could.

The reaction has me wondering am I alone in this thinking?

Could this be made into a poll?
I suppose it depends on how confident UNITED are that a deal can be struck. You would think if they thought there was no chance and such an offer came in then I agree he’d be gone. No way would they pass up on that.

However I feel like a lot of him signing is going to come down to how the team is playing and does he feel he can win stuff at United. If he doesn’t then he’ll surely join Real on a free and hook up with Mbappe, Cama and possibly Haaland.

cyril C

Real Madrid just tried to by Mbappe for £200million when he can also be had for free next summer. Curious comment when we have history of a club trying just this as little as 9 days ago.

Do you honestly believe, RM, like Barca, is in any condition offering 100m+ cash bid?

True details will be revealed soon enough. My bet is, it was always about swapping players. So my guess is Bale + Isco, value at 50m each, was offered, plus 60m cash, to be spread over 3 years. PSG doesn't value Bale nor Isco, hence reject it.

Eddy_JukeZ

No chance they'd turn that down.

Even if he was willing to extend, I'd probably accept that money begrudgingly.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
No one in their right mind would have offered 70/80 Million. I think a figure similar to the Varane deal would have sufficed. Varane and Pogba are both similar in age and stature. I just don't think an offer came in for Pogba from any of the clubs he would have liked to join.