Would you accept a straight swap between Mason Greenwood and Jadon Sancho?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
God no. As good as Sancho is I feel Greenwood has the potential to be a top 5 striker in the world. He's literally got it all and he's 18. We could be looking at a player who scores 30 goals a season across all comps in a few years when fit.
And Sancho looks like he could be a top 5 player in the world. He's also absurdly talented.

Toad

I personally would, you have to think immediate impact! Sancho is 10 times the player, he would be an immediate impact and probably score 40 goals per season.

Greenwood isn’t progressing as well as Dan James for me so there is no point keeping him. Don’t get me wrong Greenwood has a good first touch and good control but his finishing is so poor that he will cost us too many games.

I think if we swapped Greenwood (approx. £10m) + roughly £80m for Sancho then we could play Sancho in front of Linga... It’s a no from me guys.

Robbie Boy

I would do a straight swap with Dan James and I'm very confident that Dortmund would also want that.

iHicksy

And Sancho looks like he could be a top 5 player in the world. He's also absurdly talented.
I'm not sure top 5 player in the world. Maybe top 5 wingers, but a striker that scores 25+ goals a season is more valuable than a winger. Hence why I wouldn't swap.

SAFMUTD

Just waiting for someone to say yes so we can all jump on him.

Revan

Assumptionman
Nah. Sancho is better but Mason has become my favorite player and can become even better. Plus Sancho is 25 so almost retired.

Shimo

Absolutely not in the current situation. We need more quality options, not just a best possible starting XI only.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If the difference between United and Dortmund's evaluations of Sancho is indeed 20M, is it worth losing Greenwood over it?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not sure top 5 player in the world. Maybe top 5 wingers, but a striker that scores 25+ goals a season is more valuable than a winger. Hence why I wouldn't swap.
I wouldn't swap them because Mason is one of ours and there's nothing like your club creating great players. But I don't think there's any hard and fast rule like that. I'd take Sancho over any striker around today for example. A winger who scored 15-20 and assists 15-20 can (not necessarily will) be better than a striker who scores more than him. Just as Mason has a gift for unreal shooting, Sancho has ridiculous ability on the ball whether it's his superb dribbling or his link up play and ability to creat chances.

tjb

I would never do that. Mason has more potential imo. That finishing ability is rare. Sancho is a good player but I don't ever think he will be as good or close to Mbappe level. Greenwood as a striker is different. Look at how rare great strikers are these days ( half of them became no.10s btw). Look how many games Greenwood has helped ignite for us even during this short run since the restart. He's a gamechanger, it's rare. I would actually swap Rashford for Sancho....that shows you how highly I think of Sancho, but Greenwood could be generational (as in Shearer like, not Ronaldo or Messi or R9 for clarity).

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Why would we lose Greenwood?
I thought that was the premise of the thread? If the options are swap Greenwood for Sancho or pay 20M over your evaluation to have both, surely a club of United's stature would prefer the latter? I mean 20M is basically the gamble they took last season over Dan James.

Juanuzayne

Only way I’d do a straight swap is with a buy back clause in 2 years. Gives us a better player at the moment in Sancho and more funds to invest in central defense.

Paul_Scholes18

yes or no. I would do it if we could buy Greenwood back for cheaper than we would have to pay for Sancho.
Thus it would allow us to have both. Although no if Greenwood would be lost forever from us. I like our youth products.

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Majority of members of this forum might not want this, but with their support for us signing Sancho, says otherwise.

If they truly believe that that they wouldn’t swap then they would let MMM flourish and not sign Sancho. If we sign Sancho, Greenwood would be dropped which basically equates to us swapping Sancho for Greenwood. It seems like I m one of the few on this forum who doesn’t want that.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Majority of members of this forum might not want this, but with their support for us signing Sancho, says otherwise.

If they truly believe that that they wouldn’t swap then they would let MMM flourish and not sign Sancho. If we sign Sancho, Greenwood would be dropped which basically equates to us swapping Sancho for Greenwood. It seems like I m one of the few on this forum who doesn’t want that.
Or we could play Sancho as No 10 and keep MMM together

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Or we could play Sancho as No 10 and keep MMM together
Not going to work, squad imbalances. One of MMM will have to warm the bench. Which sucks. If Greenwood, didn’t have such a breakthrough season with incredible stats, Sancho will be a no brainer. Now if we get Sancho, we might hinder Greenwood development and he will become another Morrison, Januzaj or even Pogba or Gomes in that he will want guaranteed first team football elsewhere.

Flanders Devil

That’s why I put the question mark of “Isn’t he?”

I think he is currently more talented overall. I’d find it hard to argue that Greenwood is the better player now and I’d need to see a very well put together argument to suggest that but I’m open.

Mason is a goalscorer. That’s an invaluable talent. What Sancho does is also create and score at an incredible rate this season.

As an overall package Sancho appears to be the better player. The fact there is even a tinge of doubt though shows just how well Greenwood is doing.

If Greenwood was scoring/assisting every 112mins next season or better then you have to be looking at him as being not just a promising talent but a top player. But there’s a big difference between doing it for part of a season and doing it for a full season on tired legs. So for now Sancho is better. But end of next season we may well be having a different result.
Totally agree with everything you’ve said - and it’s well articulated.

I think, my main argument about why it’s close is the premium on goal scoring / finishing - and that’s the bit I think Mason is ahead of Sancho (as you’ve said Sancho more complete all round).

The degree to which Mason is clinical is the bit that sets him apart - he is so good at a) finding space b) manouvering the ball and his body into shooting positions c) use either foot and d) hit it so cleanly. Defenders don’t seem to know how to deal with him. And as a viewer, I’m often struggling to even figure out how he’s scored.

Sancho on the other hand (just talking about finishing) is a bit more ‘routine’ with his finishes - ie his finishes look like ‘good finishes’ he gets into the right spot, or has beaten a number of players. So as a viewer I’m less in awe. But maybe that’s actually the point - he makes it look so easy.

Anyway I’m probably not articulating my point that well. And I 100% want Sancho!

treble_winner

I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT WE SHOULD

However I am curious what you guys think. A Yes or No answer would do.

Let me lead by example

NO
Reminds me of the "Would you swap Rashford for Harry Kane" debate.
The answer is No, because of the sentimentality tie we have with one of our brightest academy products. He's a true Manchester boy.

Web of Bissaka

No.

Easily no. Personally I find keeping Greenwood and seeing him improve from now on with us is more "romantic" as in more "fun" to see and experience. Sancho learned his trade with Dortmund and improved a lot, and he came from our rivals youth set-up, less interesting.

However if the deal is we buy Sancho and loan Greenwood to Dortmund, then I might say yes. Sancho here meant less games for Greenwood, and generally all three -- Martial, Sancho and Rashford have very good fitness and rarely gets injured. And honestly I'm not confident with Ole's rotation management skills (not sure he make good calculated risks and dare enough). So in this situation, Greenwood to continue learning the trade with Dortmund to improve his game, then season 21/22 Greenwood is back to us and become a far better player. Doubt Dortmund is willing to accept this deal.

James Ward

Not a hope, I think Greenwood will hit the heights of Messi and Ronaldo in terms of goal scoring.

This thread is truly embarrassing.