Would you be ok with finishing outside the top 4

AUnitedOpinion

No, I think we need to get top 4 and I think it is a priority. I don't like saying this as I think that we should be aiming higher but that is the position we are in.

I think it will be a successful season if we manage to get top four considering what we were like most of last season. The champions league will also give us a chance to pull in top tier talent. Which we are just unable to do at the moment. If we can pull it off it gives us a chance to rejuvenate the squad again next summer by bringing in one or two top class players and have our younger players (Greenwood, Gomes, Garner, Tuanzebe) in and around them.

This would give us a more stable platform for the season after especially if the players mentioned get game time this season which I think they will.

Web of Bissaka

If it meant exciting attacking football and the young players such as Tuanzebe, Garner, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood all got a proper chance in the first team?
Yes, only if those happen. And also important is our players giving it their all, maximum effort every game. Should also include the other youth particularly our LBs.

Effort + Attacking + Exciting + Youth

Then, I'll be ok.
Having seen United's dominance during SAF era, I'm thankful since before SAF, United wasn't dominant, so wonder what the United fans in those times felt. Anyway, I don't feel eager nor desperate for another EPL. All I want to see at least the club still maintain trying to be United and this meant opening the door always for our youth, players giving it their absolute all and team continue playing good fun football. That's enough. Another championship would be a great bonus, but I'm already content. Just the maintenance of United identity that I'm worried about.

And yeah, if so, I'll accept finish outside top 4, but not too far though like passing 10th, that's too much and shouldn't happen with the actual quality of this squad. 5th to 7th should be doable. Actually even if we gave those youngsters proper chances, top 4 this season specifically 3rd or 4th is still reasonable.

Last edited:

Jeffthered

I would be ok. Frustrated yes, and disappointed. But with how things have been over recent seasons, I do not expect us to really compete any more than a top six finish, and even that may be a struggle.

It's a long season.

A few players emerging, and a couple beginning to really hit their potential (Rashford, Shaw...) would be great. A good showing in Cup competitions would be superb.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm a realist so have accepted it's already going to happen, we haven't done even nearly enough this summer.

Guapa

Yes if we show improvement and structure to our system with taking a step to the next level with consistency for the next few years.

blacktiger 10

No never, we can no longer afford to finish out top 4 again, it'll impact us in terms of image and recruitment in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not sure when we became Arsenal and started targeting "the top 4". Anything but winning the title is a disappointing season. With that being said, if we don't win the title, the most disappointing thing to me is if we don't see an improvement in play and to see us taking steps to getting back to playing "the United way". With so many people alredy writing us off I think we are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Not just rivals, but supporters as well...

overtheborder

No never, we can no longer afford to finish out top 4 again, it'll impact us in terms of image and recruitment in the future.
I think this is the thing, it affects recruitment. Top players want to play Champions League football and challenge for trophies, there's only so much a "big name" can help with this. There's a reason these giants of European football sometimes end up on the slide over a period of a few years. For me, progress is what the aim should be, just do better than last season. And then the year after, etc. Eventually you get to the top again.