Would you be okay with state or state-backed ownership?

Dan_F

The United Kingdom does business with Saudi including selling them bombs that are dropped on Yemen. What’s your opinion on that?
It’s horrid and shouldn’t be happening. But what does that have to do with United?

Zlatattack

I used to be up for it - then I briefly felt repression and quickly changed my mind.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
No, but I think it's inevitable.

These countries are throwing money at their sports washing projects (we're in the middle of a winter world cup in Qatar FFS!), if the biggest footballing brand on the planet comes on the market I can't see them not paying up, and at the end of the day I think the bidder with the deepest pockets will win.

My old man gave up on football completely the day Utd floated on the stock market, and said big money would eventually kill the game, I can't help feeling like I'm watching the fat lady doing warm up exercises.

stevoc

I agree. They shouldn’t. And if they wanted the integrity of the game back, they’d force Newcastle, PSG and city’s owners to sell like they did Abramovich and ban counties owning clubs.

But they won’t do either ever. And Newcastle won’t be the last English team to be bought and given a blank chequebook

Therefore if they’re coming regardless, I figure there’s not much point opposing it. It can’t be stopped. At least they’d be profiting a club who should have had more PL titles anyway
You're probably right on both counts. I'd still not prefer for United not to be one of them though.

Dan_F

We reside in a country that’s turning a blind eye to atrocious so what difference would it make if we were owned by one?
Plenty of people in this country are appalled by the actions of the government, in many many areas, and continually protest against it. But as many others have told you, United don’t have anything to do with that. Under a state regime, United will be a vehicle to improve that said state’s PR across the world.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
All these opinions against some of those oil rich states and their human-rights violations, it is ironical that most of those regimes use American and European investments, weapons and weapon-systems. Also, the club itself is based in England, which if I recall correctly was supplying weapons to a country that killed more than 500 kids in one operation not so long ago.

No country rich enough is innocent enough to pass judgements on another.

The Iraq War caused the death of almost half a million people and the two main culprits there were George Bush and Tony Blair, isn't it?

So, extremely hypocritical talking about other rogue nations.

When China was hosting the Winter Olympics, there was a proper genocide going on of Uyghurs there. The Russian World Cup came under less scrutiny than the Qatar one even though everyone knows which nation is a bigger nuisance to foreign policy of Western powers.

When Ozil spoke up, Arsenal got rid of him, the German National team moved him out and suddenly they remembered about human rights when they weren't allowed to wear OneLove Bands? Hypocrisy Max!

I wish football was kept away entirely from these state-backed powers. I wish football could go back to being clean, but that is never gonna happen.

Behind every fortune lies a crime.

If Apple owns us, they have a long list of labor rights issues, hell they were even found using child-slave labor.

So, unfortunately, we just have to roll with the punches and move with the times, 'cos at the end of the day, nobody on the caf or even the fans who are season ticket holders, will have any control over who buys the club.

But, at least stop pretending to be holier-than-thou when it comes to States and human-rights violations. None of them are clean enough to point a finger at another.

The victims of Grenfell Tower fires are still seeking justice. Who speaks for their rights? Or are they not human enough?

Pickle85

All these opinions against some of those oil rich states and their human-rights violations, it is ironical that most of those regimes use American and European investments, weapons and weapon-systems. Also, the club itself is based in England, which if I recall correctly was supplying weapons to a country that killed more than 500 kids in one operation not so long ago.

The Iraq War caused the death of almost half a million people and the two main culprits there were George Bush and Tony Blair, isn't it?

When China was hosting the Winter Olympics, there was a proper genocide going on of Uyghurs there. The Russian World Cup came under less scrutiny than the Qatar one even though everyone knows which nation is a bigger nuisance to foreign policy of Western powers.

When Ozil spoke up, Arsenal got rid of him, the German National team moved him out and suddenly they remembered about human rights when they weren't allowed to wear OneLove Bands? Hypocrisy Max!

I wish football was kept away entirely from these state-backed powers. I wish football could go back to being clean, but that is never gonna happen.

If Apple owns us, they have a long list of labor rights issues, hell they were even found using child-slave labor.

So, unfortunately, we just have to roll with the punches and move with the times, 'cos at the end of the day, nobody on the caf or even the fans who are season ticket holders, will have any control over who buys the club.

But, at least stop pretending to be holier-than-thou when it comes to States and human-rights violations. None of them are clean enough to point a finger at another.

The victims of Grenfell Tower fires are still seeking justice. Who speaks for their rights? Or are they not human enough?
What in the love of God does this have to do with anything?!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I wouldn’t want state backed but I’d find it hard to just switch off supporting United. Maybe I’d naturally lose interest but it wouldn’t be an immediate decision.

Will Singh

Well said!

Waynne

Don't care who owns the club as long as they have a win at all costs mentality and are willing to invest in the infrastructure to be on par or better than the best elite clubs in Europe.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Stormzy.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I’ve spent the last 17 years disassociating the club with the owners - the owners aren’t club and never will be - it’ll still be here when the next crew inevitably feck off. I’m not going to stop supporting regardless of the ownership. I don’t want it to be a state but unfortunately I have no choice in the matter.

GBBQ

I wouldn’t want state backed but I’d find it hard to just switch off supporting United. Maybe I’d naturally lose interest but it wouldn’t be an immediate decision.
Pretty much sums it up. It’s hard to imagine a club I’ve followed all my life just ceasing to have a hold on me cos of new owners. Morally it should, but it’s a huge part of my life and some of my happiest memories of supporting them and travelling to Old Trafford with my Dad. It’s a bridge I’ll have to cross if/ when it happens.

Dion

See, this entire wall of text is completely destroyed in one sentence.

I don't want the UK government to own Man Utd for PR purposes either.

Dan_F

Jesus Christ. We’re not owned by the United States government, or the causations of any of the other things you’ve listed. Grenfell? I guess that argument might be relevant if we were owned by Kingspan.

You understand that most likely the people that don’t want state owners are also likely against all the things you’ve listed due to having a moral compass? And probably more vocally than those that seem to be willing to accept state ownership.

phelans shorts

Neither Tony Blair or George Bush are currently in the running to buy the club

Infra-red

A boycott or walking away would be very difficult. As you say, I think it would be a slower process for many - after a while it would just become quite difficult to really care any more.

marktan

A lot of whataboutism but the point is sound enough - to me the political side doesn't matter as most people have very little understanding of politics and history (as we see highlighted r.e. Qatar over and over again).

What I object to is the oil states pumping unlimited amounts of funds into clubs using dodgy sponsorships. It ruins the idea of a footballing contest, which is what underpins the game at the end of the day. If lower teams have no way to build their clubs like say Spurs did because the top spots are always occupied by literal countries owning clubs then football is dead. City and PSG are already stain enough on football as it is.

Jezpeza

State or not state. Couldnt care less who owns the club tbh as long as they have some money and dont run us as a sports franchise for dividends

OldSchoolManc

No. Would be the end of the feeling that it was my club. Born and grew up in Salford.
To be just another ‘franchise’ for a state somewhere in the Middle East that has morals where women are treated as lesser beings and people are persecuted/executed for being different to their ideal is too much for me.
End of the line stuff.
United can survive and prosper without it.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
A lot of whataboutism but the point is sound enough - to me the political side doesn't matter as most people have very little understanding of politics and history (as we see highlighted r.e. Qatar over and over again).

What I object to is the oil states pumping unlimited amounts of funds into clubs using dodgy sponsorships. It ruins the idea of a footballing contest, which is what underpins the game at the end of the day. If lower teams have no way to build their clubs like say Spurs did because the top spots are always occupied by literal countries owning clubs then football is dead. City and PSG are already stain enough on football as it is.
This is my worry if Liverpool and Manchester United get bought by foreign owners I think I’d lose interest in the premier league altogether. 4 clubs owned by states pumping in tons of cash would just ruin the league as a spectacle for me.

Andersonson

People who think its ok has no interest in grasrot football. Financial doping in football needs to stop. Football should unite people on every front, not divide it. Football has that power if we let it.

SecondFig

No. Would be the end of the feeling that it was my club. Born and grew up in Salford.
To be just another ‘franchise’ for a state somewhere in the Middle East that has morals where women are treated as lesser beings and people are persecuted/executed for being different to their ideal is too much for me.
End of the line stuff.
United can survive and prosper without it.
Completely agree (well, I wasn't born and raised in Salford, but otherwise). If we're bought by any nation state - don't care if it's Dubai or Luxembourg - I'm out. I'll watch my local club, and would lose a huge amount of my interest in football - but I'm not supporting that

OldSchoolManc

The United Kingdom does business with Saudi including selling them bombs that are dropped on Yemen. What’s your opinion on that?
Our government is a disgrace and has nothing whatsoever to do with Manchester United.
I’ve never voted for the scum in charge and there is very little that the person on the street can do about the dictatorship we are under.
Too many just accept the status quo for there to be any meaningful protest.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
We dont need to be owned by a state. We generate enough money on our own. All we need is someone who can afford us, and wont just use us as a piggy bank. Id rather we found our successes the old fashioned way and avoid being just another sports washing vehicle for some state with a questionable take on human rights.

I fear the Glazers have made it all but impossible to avoid either of state ownership, or cnut ownership. I dont want us to be another City. I dont want to buy the league with oil money. I want us to earn it like we always have by paying our own way, recruiting well, and nurturing talent. Call me an old romantic, but I like being somewhat of an underdog. Even if we are an elite underdog. I dont want to go into every game knowing we are going to win because we have owners playing billionaires Fifa.

croadyman

We dont need to be owned by a state. We generate enough money on our own. All we need is someone who can afford us, and wont just use us as a piggy bank. Id rather we found our successes the old fashioned way and avoid being just another sports washing vehicle for some state with a questionable take on human rights.

I fear the Glazers have made it all but impossible to avoid either of state ownership, or cnut ownership. I dont want us to be another City. I dont want to buy the league with oil money. I want us to earn it like we always have by paying our own way, recruiting well, and nurturing talent. Call me an old romantic, but I like being somewhat of an underdog. Even if we are an elite underdog. I dont want to go into every game knowing we are going to win because we have owners playing billionaires Fifa.
So you are all in for Ratcliffe then who I still don't think is genuinely interested,however neither is Ortega so now options are starting to dry up a bit

Norman Brownbutter

What is this mess of a post? "Everyone else is cnut, so you dont get to say anything about these cnuts over here."? Is that really your position? Who speaks for Grenfell? Eh, fecking loads of people, mate. Thats why we haven't stopped hearing about it. Thats why cladding up and down the country has been ripped out and replaced. No one here is pretending our governments are all saints doing gods good work. We all take great issue with many things that they do. We always have, which is why we all know what they have done. And you wont hear anyone but a bellend defend them. But we aren't looking to have the tory government own us. That would be as much a deal breaker as some Dubai outfit.

This latest bullshit about hypocrisy is just noise to drown out the legitimate issues that people have with Qatar and its stance on human rights. What Ozil did has nothing to do with any other player and what they do. So theres no hypocrisy there anyway.

Theres how things are, and then theres taking the piss. Being another club to sports wash some shitty countries past wrong doings is nothing I want anything to do with. You do you though, and excuse the actions of cnuts just because theres other cnuts doing cnuty stuff.

Norman Brownbutter

So you are all in for Ratcliffe then who I still don't think is genuinely interested,however neither is Ortega so now options are starting to dry up a bit
I dont really know enough about Ratcliffe, but from what little Ive seen he seems like the best of the worst case scenarios. But as you say, it might all be bullshit. The unfortunate things about being us, we generate an ungodly amount of click bait. Im shocked McDonald's hasn't been linked to buying us yet with a move to rebrand us Big MacChester...

croadyman

I dont really know enough about Ratcliffe, but from what little Ive seen he seems like the best of the worst case scenarios. But as you say, it might all be bullshit. The unfortunate things about being us, we generate an ungodly amount of click bait. Im shocked McDonald's hasn't been linked to buying us yet with a move to rebrand us Big MacChester...
Not sure his estimated net wealth is enough

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
the whole league will be state owned at this point. Its revolting state ownership was allowed to happen to begin with.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Middle eastern owners with pockets as deep as City can't be a bad thing for us really.

New stadium would likely be on the cards, Carrington would get a huge facelift and the squad could be rejuvenated.

Pandora's box has sadly been opened by City and now Newcastle. There's no going back. We either fall in line or fall behind quite frankly. This club is dead if we don't get significant investment and right now that kind of money isn't found in too many places.