Would you call Atletico Madrid a "European Powerhouse"?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I was having a big debate with @Vernon Philander yesterday about this. He casually said Atletico Madrid were a European powerhouse after brushing aside Marseille yesterday to pick up their 3rd Europa in 9 years.

I took exception to that, partly because its the Europa Cup for starters. What are your thoughts? A poll would help, I'm just curious as to whether the term " European powerhouse" suits Atletico.

There is no fixed definition of what is meant by the term, rather I'm asking if they suit any variation of it. I want to settle this debate once and for all!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I would say they are European power house, not because they won Europa league but because of their performance in CL in last 4-5 years.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But they haven't won anything? This season they crashed out in group stages. And the times they won the Europa Cup none of the big teams were really involved. We're Dortmund a European Powerhouse under Klopp?

Cal?

CR7 fan
No, Real Madrid and Barcelona are the only European powerhouse based on the last decade.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yes. Over the last five years, they have the 2nd highest club coefficient in Europe behind Real.

Deleted member 101472

They are absolutely one of the European powerhouses of this decade, zero debate on that, but as a whole they are still so far off the big two in Spain (who are without any doubt powerhouses) that it’s hard to put them in the same bracket.

SER19

No. Never won the champions league, instantly discounted.

Within the vagueness of the word I would call man united, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, juventus, Liverpool in the broader and historical sense with both Milan clubs too though they are absolutely sleeping giants now, to use another vague term

I personally don’t think the term can be used when discussed a short period of time eg the last five years

SirAF

Ageist
They are absolutely one of the European powerhouses of this decade, zero debate on that, but as a whole they are still so far off the big two in Spain (who are without any doubt powerhouses) that it’s hard to put them in the same bracket.
Yeah, I would agree with that. It’s hard to discount three EL trophies and two runners up medals in the CL the last decade.

Guy Incognito

They are some way off Barcelona and Real Madrid, but it's admirable how they are competitive in the cup competitions.

Raru9

Yes. You see the stats at home / away in the Champions League and is nuts.

They beat Barcelona (twice), Bayern, Juventus. Reach the final two times, but have very bad luck there.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
When I think of European power house only a few clubs come to my head: Real, Barca and Bayern. United used to be in that lot but not anymore. Needs a couple seasons going into the UCL semis to be one again.

Deleted member 101472

When I think of European power house only a few clubs come to my head: Real, Barca and Bayern. United used to be in that lot but not anymore. Needs a couple seasons going into the UCL semis to be one again.
Both Bayern and us in the last ten years have gone to 3 finals, both winning 1 and losing two. So either we are both a powerhouse or neither, no?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If we are basing it on performances over the last 5 or so years, then absolutely. They are probably behind only Real and Barca during that time, and are unfortunate to be in the same league as both of them.

If we are talking about clubs as a whole, then no I probably wouldn't. They are in the next tier down, in a similar situation as Arsenal.

tomaldinho1

They play in Europe and are a very good team, does that make them a powerhouse?

I wouldn't put them up there with RM, Barca or BM though

Zlatattack

They've been a very strong team but aren't terms like power house reserved for winners?

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
You should probably have won the CL to be called a powerhouse. They're pretty good though.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
They are one of the top European clubs and have been remarkably consistent almost every season. They probably need at least one CL to truly cement themselves as a European powerhouse.

edit- in recent times of course. Historically speaking is a different debate.

Trizy

To make 2 CL finals and winning La Liga while Barcelona and Madrid were at their peak powers I definitely would say so.

Golden era that cannot be sustained? possibly.

el3mel

They have been for few years now, not just one year or two. They always reach advanced stages in every European competition they play.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Depends entirely on how you define "powerhouse". Imo, it's a combination of history, recent succes and pulling power.

So, as I see it, you guys, Real, Barca, Juventus and Bayern are at the top, with Liverpool, AC Milan, PSG, Chelsea, City coming in second.

That's not saying they are a bad team, though.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
They've been something like Valencia in 2000 and 2001 under Cuper, only that that team wasn't competing against Ronaldo's Real Madrid and Messi's Barcelona, so it deserves much more credit. Can that be named an European Powerhouse? No, I don't think so, but it's still admirable.

They're second or third tier. The powerhouses are the big clubs with multiple wins, and then there's the likes of the Milans, us and Liverpool. All huge clubs who are going through a difficult patch. Atletico come after all those.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They should be regarded on the same level as Bayern and Barca (i.e just below Madrid) but they never give you the feeling of being a 'power-house'. They don't batter teams and usually go through playing defensive football and then scoring the odd goal. Plus their poor performances this season wouldve hurt their reputation.

They are certainly as, if not more, difficult to beat as Bayern and Barca, which is ultimately the point of football, but they won't embarass you like the other two do.

Kapardin

Any team that has the best chance to win the CL is a powerhouse. Real, Barca and Bayern are powerhouses. Atleti is in the 2nd tier with Juve, PSG, City, etc in that they may be serious contenders but never favorites.

So they aren't powerhouses. I'm not counting the Europa League, because that would make us powerhouses too and we got dicked by fecking Sevilla.

poleglass red

Not sure there's many I'd call powerhouses these days, I guess Real are due to their cl success but they haven't won their domestic league in 6 yrs. Atletico have doe well in the 2nd tier ie europa, they've one la liga back in 13-14. I wouldn't call them powerhouses, very good, effective team. Not one I'd want to rush out and watch, very Jose like in their stlye. But you have to given them some kudos

Stacks

No. Never won the champions league, instantly discounted.

Within the vagueness of the word I would call man united, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, juventus, Liverpool in the broader and historical sense with both Milan clubs too though they are absolutely sleeping giants now, to use another vague term

I personally don’t think the term can be used when discussed a short period of time eg the last five years
Ajax, Inter (won more European trophies than us), Juventus, Porto (same amount of European trophies as us)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Historical - no
Trophy cabinet - no
Recent years performances domestically and in Europe - yes

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
They are more of a powerhouse than City or PSG, that's for sure, even if none of them fit the term.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Said it all along when people were claiming we were amazing because we got to three finals in four years that we weren't because we didn't win two of them so they were both for nothing. Getting to a final is a great achievement but only winning it makes you a great side.

Atletico making it to the final and losing twice just makes them losers at CL level.

Winning the Europa three times in 9 years isn't even as impressive as Sevilla is it? Sevilla aren't a European powerhouse.