Would you call Atletico Madrid a "European Powerhouse"?

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Fun fact: In KO stages of Europe in the last 5 years (4 CL campaigns, and one EL), no side has been able to knock them out bar Real Madrid (twice in finals, once in SF, once in QF), in this period they've knocked out the likes of Barca, Bayern, Chelsea etc. a couple of times.

You can say if it weren't for their city rivals, they would've had at least two (maybe 3) CLs by now, which would've put them up there with some of the best.

Br1_ovi

Supports
F.C. Barcelona
In the last 5 years R.Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Atletico & Bayern have been the clearly "big 5" in the CL, I think in 4 seasons in a row no other team defeat them in the CL playoffs. They only got eliminated by other team of the big 5... until this season where all big 5 drop a level compared to previous seasons.

But yes, they are a powerhouse.

Bole Top

not really, at least not anymore. especially not now when they couldn't even past their group and are in danger of losing their best player + Simeone in near future. they took 1 la liga title at their peak which is great, but there is a real possibility of decline for them in near future, from which they probably won't recover so quickly.

Minimalist

The term 'powerhouse' is a bit naff but I would say they are one of the teams in Europe people look to avoid (and not because they're some sort of boogey side).

Certainly feared them more than fecking Sevilla anyway.

Theonas

Scout
It all depends on how wide you want to cast the net. If we are talking this decade, Real Madrid and Barcelona stand out and it's unfair to include the likes of Atlético or Juventus with them as the former have achieved more. If we are talking more general in terms of high level consistency, then there are 5 or 6 teams that can be included and Atlético are certainly one of them.

Inter Yer Nan

Said it all along when people were claiming we were amazing because we got to three finals in four years that we weren't because we didn't win two of them so they were both for nothing. Getting to a final is a great achievement but only winning it makes you a great side.

Atletico making it to the final and losing twice just makes them losers at CL level.

Winning the Europa three times in 9 years isn't even as impressive as Sevilla is it? Sevilla aren't a European powerhouse.
Well, it's not more impressive because they spent the majority of that time going deep into the Champions League. They were desperately unlucky to lose both finals.

Atletico also historically have double figures in La Liga wins and Copa Del Rey wins. Compare that to Sevilla's Champions League best finish of a quarter final and 1 La Liga win in the 40's.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yes. Their performance in Europe (CL/EL) over the past few years has been phenomenal. Based on trophy count Chelsea is more of a "powerhouse" but that criteria is absurd.

SER19

Ajax, Inter (won more European trophies than us), Juventus, Porto (same amount of European trophies as us)
Yes of course Ajax I left out are one of the historical powerhouses. I mentioned inter and juventus. Porto less so in my opinion

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
No, they're in a purple patch. Need to be a successful team domestically and in europe for atleast a couple decaesd to be called a powehouse.

Denis' cuff

I don’t believe you can be a European powerhouse when you rarely compete for your domestic title.

trafford1980

I wouldn't ever use the term "powerhouse" but yes, I would have Atletico Madrid as one of the great European clubs.

My totally unquantifiable 'top 10'.

Tier 1: Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Manchester United & Real Madrid.
Tier 2: Inter, Milan, Liverpool
Tier 3: Ajax, Atletico Madrid

AkaAkuma

Where do they get their money from? Until recently I'd always thought of them as having money troubles

simplyared

Powerhouse in the terms of:
Strength in every part of the field.
Quality throughout.
Players prepared to go through brick walls for the cause.
Tough to play against (you know you've been in a match)
Perform on the big stage.
= Atletico Madrid!

Andy_Cole

Nope. Powerhouses are Barca, Bayern and Real. Three teams you expect to reach the semis. No team has been as consistent as those three.

Pagh Wraith

Yes, no doubt about that. Atletico, Real, Barca, Bayern and Juventus are the top five teams in Europe.

JMack1234

Don't they strike you as on old school Mourinho team? They play ugly defensive football and are proud of it. They're a little bit nasty and thrive of being underdogs and under appreciated.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Couldn't find a thread for their season, but seems like they went into a complete overhaul this offseason and a big style difference.

Tripper and Lodi are extremely offensive full backs with crossing ability and suspect defense. Herrera and Llorente were probably brought in to cover them defensively.

I expect Felix, Costa and Morata to be in the box a lot and a lot of crosses. I will be very excited to watch them.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If Simeone plan to be more offensive is to bomb crosses into the area then Felix isn’t going to deliver anything. :lol:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
If Simeone plan to be more offensive is to bomb crosses into the area then Felix isn’t going to deliver anything. :lol:
He's actually very good at heading the ball and at arriving in the box. Surprisingly so given how weak he is physically.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He's actually very good at heading the ball and at arriving in the box. Surprisingly so given how weak he is physically.
He is similar to Joao Vieira Pinto regarding the heading technique, but it’s very limited to take the best from him only expecting crosses to the area.

By the way, the fullback they signed from Paranaense Lodi is a massive signing, will be surprised if he doesn’t deliver.

fps

I don't know, do we have any stats on the actual power levels their house is putting out?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Whether they are on a decline is yet to be seen. They have some overhaul work to do, but when I think of a club on the decline I think of Arsenal (or us)
I just feel like they're missing some firepower. Costa is clearly declining, Felix is still young, Correa is hardly smashing them in week out, and Morata is...Morata.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I just feel like they're missing some firepower. Costa is clearly declining, Felix is still young, Correa is hardly smashing them in week out, and Morata is...Morata.
They absolutely need to get the reset right in terms of personnel and tactics in order to avoid entering decline. I'm very interested in seeing if Simeone can rejig things well. The defensive organization will provide them with a solid base; can Simeone make them more proactive is what I want to know.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
They are absolutely one of the European powerhouses of this decade, zero debate on that, but as a whole they are still so far off the big two in Spain (who are without any doubt powerhouses) that it’s hard to put them in the same bracket.
I don't know if I can take anyone seriously who gets themselves deleted.

Wotcha gonna do about it Deleted Member 101472?! That's right!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Who did they sign to replace Godin? He'll be a big miss.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Just below the elite clubs imo. Not that far behind though.