Would you give the job to Allegri right now?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
One of the most misleading records in the game. Won with Milan when the rest of the league were crap, won with Juventus in an era where Napoli beat themselves and the rest are crap. Plays football that makes Mourinho's style look like Brazil 1982.
Took Juve to 2 ucl finals in 3 years? Whilst playing some good football. What is the miss-leading part in that?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Allegri would be a horrible choice because I read that he prefers older, experienced players. It would require another squad overhaul. That's why I think Pochettino is the best option because of his excellent record with young players.
Dybala was very old and experienced when Allegri worked with him... As was Alvaro Morata

buckooo1978

Bielsa would crash with us after a season or two. I don't think he's ever created a sustained winning side over 3-4 seasons has he?
until the end of the season in my post

would be a really fun 5 months

Marcelinho87

Moyes was appointed in May 2013 though and yes Van Gaal's contract was running out too.

I don't see the problem in hiring managers whose contracts are about to end.
Moyes was announced, not appointed.

Anyhow I didn't say it was a problem, just that it limits who we go for.

Jeffthered

No. Let this season play out.

But I bl**dy well hope that the club are looking at next manager, because we may, may need one.

Let's have some contingencies in place and let's think about who (as a manager...) reflects the kind of character that Manchester United would like...

stevoc

Moyes was announced, not appointed.

Anyhow I didn't say it was a problem, just that it limits who we go for.
I mean thats drifting into semantics the season was virtually over and Fergie was still manager so of course he wasn't taking charge immediately.

I don't think it limits our choices at all i think timing and circumstances and dictated that 3 of the the 4 managers we've appointed post SAF were out of or nearing the end of their contracts. I mean in Moyes case with him being Ferguson's first choice to succeed him he had been advising Moyes as early as January-February 2013 not to renew his Everton deal. Which explains why we didn't need to pay compensation for him.

Of the other two yeah fair enough Van Gaal was probably always going to leave the Dutch national team and Jose was out of work.

Having said that I doubt a few million compensation would stop the club trying to appoint a manager with a years left on his current contract.

Josep Dowling

He’s a defensive coach so no. Can we not just hire an attack minded manager for a change?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Ole will get next season at the absolute minimum.

The work he’s been putting in should be peaking next season as you can already see some improvements this year - it’s just inconsistent with more quality signings added and another year in we should be a lot better next year.

His first full season is comparable with a few top managers in this league.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Can’t think of anything worse and I would bet that many of the people keen on him also wanted Mourinho. Doesn’t fit the Man Utd ethos at all!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Can’t think of anything worse and I would bet that many of the people keen on him also wanted Mourinho. Doesn’t fit the Man Utd ethos at all!
Eh? If you can't think of anyone worse than Allegri, you havn't been paying attention. But I agree, he does not suit the attacking style we want to see at United, but we are a defensive counter attacking team under Ole as well.

meamth

Let's imagine Allegri is appointed tomorrow, shall we?

Probably the first thing he does is bringing his own coaching staff. Our current staffs would be relegated to the reserves or they go out of the club.

And then he will try to bring his own players, probably Italians or demanding star players.

Oh well, just imagining that made me want to give up supporting United.

No way, close thread.

the chameleon

I don't under any circumstances want another defensive coach.

He's just not the right fit for the club or fans and his defensive style wouldn't work in this league.

The next coach needs to be someone who will build on the foundations of Ole, not someone who will overhaul the positives of Ole.

This is the exact mistake we made after firing Van Gaal. Instead of building on the positives we got Mourinho to completely rebuild on top.

Gehrman

Probably the first thing he does is bringing his own coaching staff. Our current staffs would be relegated to the reserves or they go out of the club.

And then he will try to bring his own players, probably Italians or demanding star players.

No way, close thread.
Yeah seeing Dybala in the nr 10 role instead of Lingaard gives me the creeps.

the chameleon

I don't under any circumstances want another defensive coach.

He's just not the right fit for the club or fans and his defensive style wouldn't work in this league.

The next coach needs to be someone who will build on the foundations of Ole, not someone who will overhaul the positives of Ole.

This is the exact mistake we made after firing Van Gaal. Instead of building on the positives we got Mourinho to completely rebuild on top.

No way, close thread.
Same thoughts, different words.

Gehrman

Ah would you like another mercenary mate?
I wouldn't mind a player of the calibre like Dybala coming here. It's obvious that now we have firmly become a top 6 club and are so far content with it, that it's hard to pull greatest talents away from teams that are actually winning and competing for the biggest trophies. I'm not sure how many players at our club are not mercaneries. We are paying over the top wages to mediocre players. I think we are paying Rashford more than Harry Kane and Salah.

meamth

I wouldn't mind a player of the calibre like Dybala coming here. It's obvious that now we have firmly become a top 6 club and are so far content with it, that it's hard to pull greatest talents away from teams that are actually winning and competing for the biggest trophies. I'm not sure how many players at our club are not mercaneries. We are paying over the top wages to mediocre players. I think we are paying Rashford more than Harry Kane and Salah.
Argies never done well with United.

We had Di Maria, we all thought he is going to be a hit here, nope.

I'm certain Dybala will not last 2 seasons here.

Gehrman

Argies never done well with United.

We had Di Maria, we all thought he is going to be a hit here, nope.

I'm certain Dybala will not last 2 seasons here.
Tbh I woudn't want to pass on players like Maradonna, Messi, Aguero og Batistuta because they are from Argentina. Its a kind of racist way looking at it. I don't give shit what country players are from as long as they are the best. It's one of the reasons i'm not all that happy about OGS focusing on British players. It's great way to miss out on the best talents out there.

patty123

Ah would you like another mercenary mate?
One of our greatest players was a self confessed "mercenary" as were a few of our top players last 20 yrs when first contract was near ending, so we can hardly lump that label around when it suits us given we've taken and kept them before, so most likely we'll do it again no doubt.

Gehrman

One of our greatest players was a self confessed "mercenary" as were a few of our top players last 20 yrs when first contract was near ending, so we can hardly lump that label around when it suits us given we've taken and kept them before, so most likely we'll do it again no doubt.
Rooney flirted with City when we felt we lacked ambition, when we sold Ronaldo and Tevez and replaced them with Owen and Valencia. Also we refused to buy a quality midfielder. We gave him a hefty contract to shut up. Keane had a dispute with the club because he wanted to be paid what he thought he was worth. Ronaldo wanted to play for Real Madrid as soon as he became world class. Schmeicel went to play for City after he played for us. Tevez was a mercerany as well but a damn good one.

Orestetes

Yeah I really wouldn't mind seeing Carrick go. Dude has 0 charisma.

Italian players? Sure because Klopp has brought 100 Germans to Liverpool. Who are the demanding star players at Juve that you wouldn't want to see at united anyway?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Eh? If you can't think of anyone worse than Allegri, you havn't been paying attention. But I agree, he does not suit the attacking style we want to see at United, but we are a defensive counter attacking team under Ole as well.
Nah i fundamentally disagree and anyone who has paid any attention to our decisions over the past 6 years should recognise that! Ole currently plays some of the best football we have seen post Fergie and for the first time we have all the players pulling in the same direction and forming a unit. We have the youngest squad in the league which brings inconsistency but you’d have to be burying your head to not see clear progress compared to Mourinho. We just need to add more quality to our first team and squad and we will see huge differences.

Allegri is not a bad manager, he’s just not a Man Utd manager. He would rip up all the good progress from this season and put us back to square one. New players, new system, new coaches, rinse and repeat. We simply have to stick with Ole for the time being and if he fails turn to a likeminded attacking manager ala Poch.

Gehrman

Nah i fundamentally disagree and anyone who has paid any attention to our decisions over the past 6 years should recognise that! Ole currently plays some of the best football we have seen post Fergie and for the first time we have all the players pulling in the same direction and forming a unit. We have the youngest squad in the league which brings inconsistency but you’d have to be burying your head to not see clear progress compared to Mourinho. We just need to add more quality to our first team and squad and we will see huge differences.

Allegri is not a bad manager, he’s just not a Man Utd manager. He would rip up all the good progress from this season and put us back to square one. New players, new system, new coaches, rinse and repeat. We simply have to stick with Ole for the time being and if he fails turn to a likeminded attacking manager ala Poch.
We have a goal difference of +7. Leiceister has goal difference of +23 and City +30 despite being subpar.

We've had games like against City where we looked the best we had in years and then followed by spineless defeat to Watford. I disagree, I don't think we've looked consistently better during Ole's tenure.

AshRK

Would be a huge mistake of hiring him now. He is a good coach but the style we are going for and the players we have will not suit him and will in fact stall some of our players development. It already happened when we hired Jose after Van gaal. Let us stop doing that. We need to make sure if we are to replace/sack Ole then it has to be with someone who can work with the young squad.

Champagne Football

Italian managers usually do very well in their first season in the PL, then after that get bored of the weather, miss their mothers pasta back home, down tools until they're paid a monster severance package, then head somewhere warm with 4 years salary in their pocket for 1 years effort.

Ancelloti, Sarri, Conte, Ranieri, Mancini etc