Would you give the job to Allegri right now?

Nikelesh Reddy

I said next manager appointment. Not sticking with what we got for the next 2 years. Better get it right than do panic appointment again.
The danger with this approach is that we could plunge deeper and deeper down the abyss until next May...The confidence of the squad will hit rock bottom if we let this continue for another 7 months....

Sterling Archer

We need a manager that's relentless in getting our players into the opponents half and creating patterns of play that get goals. It doesn't have to be as fanatical as Pep, but it has to be forward minded , not risk averse.

SER19

You are right and I agree with you but how to cause upheaval at board level? You know the fans won't start boycoting which is a shame but it won't happen and the charlatans are here to stay for now so what we need during their time here is someone to steady the ship and Ole has dragged us down to a relegation fight ffs he needs to go with immediate effect. I don't want Allegri btw.
Boycotting is the only way. As many people as possible with tickets to Liverpool game simply don't go. Let Woodward explain an empty stadium for a televised biggest game of the season to all his money men.

Green_Red

Why on earth would he even consider coming here other than for a nice juicy pay day. This club is a managerial/career suicide mission. If we did go for a new manager I think the Wolves manager would be a good shout but whether he'd be backed to bring in the players required would be a completely different storey.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is proven top class manager, and we are a club in a mess. If he wish to come and join us, we should be grateful and welcome him with our arms wide opened.

Bestie07

Ole is a dead man walking at this stage, and it is just a matter of time before he is removed from his position. The club needs to find the right manager to take us forward and that manager may not necessarily be someone who is currently uncontracted. We need to stop this weird habit of only looking at uncontracted managers when we are looking to replace our current manager. Allegri, while obviously being on a completely different level as a coach to Ole in almost every respect, is not the kind of coach I would like to have taking the club forward.

AaronRedDevil

Look at this point in the season, its probably not going to matter. People will still complain about why he starting lingard or fred or whomever. The fault is on ole and mostly the players. It's just a bad moment for the club. Nothing will change if we can't change the players.

Nikelesh Reddy

Why on earth would he even consider coming here other than for a nice juicy pay day. This club is a managerial/career suicide mission. If we did go for a new manager I think the Wolves manager would be a good shout but whether he'd be backed to bring in the players required would be a completely different storey.
Because he wants to test himself in England and he’s apparently learning how to speak English....

OleGunnar20

Good manager. Bad fit.

Honestly, I care less about results than I do about actually watching entertaining football again. Apart from the short stint under Ole, it's been years since we've had that.

Whoever comes next (If they even get rid of Ole before the seasons end, I have my doubts) needs to be able to implement attacking football. That has to be high up the list of requirements.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The point is that if we don’t act decisively and get a proper manager now,we could end up in the bottom half of the table.Some of our young players would lose their confidence completely....We slip further and further down the abyss if we don’t act decisively....
I’m all in favor of getting rid of Solskjaer, and Phelan/Carrick/McKenna can take a hike too if the new guy decides. I just want to see some evidence that there is a strategy in place. I don’t see how getting Allegri in would indicate anything other that we’re still stuck in a purely reactive mindset. Not that I’m hopeful of the current regime identifying a more suitable candidate. All these discussions are a little bit pointless given the general incompetence surrounding those actually running the club.

Noc-Z

ffs
I don't think he's the right style of manager for us. Yes, we are in a diabolical mess and quite desperate, but appointing the wrong manager won't help. Signing the wrong players has (partly) got us in this mess.

Ainu

The only manager we should hire on a non-interim contract, should be one we've identified as the right man for the job to take us forward in the long term. Any short term appointment, be it Allegri or whoever else, should not be given a permanent contract. I seriously doubt Allegri would come here on an interim basis or that he's the right man for us in the long term. So, despite him undoubtedly being a better manager than Solskjaer, I'm inclined to say no.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It's not what we want. We went for Mourinho out of desperation knowing he wouldn't fit the ethos of the club.

Again, we find ourselves in desperate times and how do you say no to Allegri replacing Solskjaer, but it won't fix the club.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Would fit well with our strategy, when going gets tough hire the first big name who is available. He is obviously good manager but I'm not sure how he will fit the team we have. Obviously we are in rebuild mode, we should be looking for managers/coaches who are good with young players. We can't spend billion to change the entire squad.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The danger with this approach is that we could plunge deeper and deeper down the abyss until next May...The confidence of the squad will hit rock bottom if we let this continue for another 7 months....
I think we should looking for a future success rather than a short term. In anyway, what Allegri can do right now with Mata, Lingard, James & Pereira as your main attackers?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

We're discussing it as he would accept it the moment Ed picks up the phone and dials his number.

He's a gentleman, a very respectable and calm person and a tactically astute manager. But he's not a madman.

Come here so that Rashy, Tony, JLingz, Matic, Mata and the "new class of '92" would be shoved down his throat by Woodward? I know i wouldn't.

Being Italian also means that he comes from a footballing school of sheer realism. He would take this team to an upper midtable finish by treating each game like a final and by grinding out results. He could also help us in the EL, should he have a couple of transfers ready in January.

But our fans don't want that. They want attacking football and intricate passing in tight spaces with players like Rashford and Martial, who lose the ball the moment they touch it. They believe that Greenwood is the next RvP and that Gomes is the second coming of Christ. They were celebrating when we were going into the season with a paper-thin squad because the deadwood was gone, youth would be given a fair shot and a manager who gets the "United way" was at the helm.

The same fans on this thread are suggesting that we should say no to Allegri because he's "too defensive" while the club is wallowing two points above the relegation zone and needs a miracle to score a goal from open play.

Allegri would be doing us a favour, if he chose to come here.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
No point bringing in Allegri, he would essentially be giving up three or four years of his career to fix the squad.

RedNed77

Hard no from me. If we want boring but semi effective football we may as well bring back LvG or Jose. If we’re going to change manager at least do it for one that’s worthwhile

Mark Pawelek

Agree,no manager can fix this completely on his own....But under Solksjaer we will end up in the bottom half of the table!!What do we gain by keeping Solksjaer in the job?Some of our young players are going to be smashed mentally by losing all these games....
United have lost 3 games. Two by only one goal. The other by two. Newcastle lost one game 5-0. Despite that, Matty Longstaff wasn't smashed mentally yesterday. Just how pathetic do you take teenage footballers to be?

Offsideagain

Groundhog Day. Scroll back 4 or 5 years and there were threads on sacking Moyes/LVG and then Jose. Where did that gets us? On the way down. Appointing Allegri or anyone else will just result in posting in 12 months to sack them. It’s Woodward that is the problem. If you ran Lever Bros and the company lost money rather than lose matches, the CEO would go. Sharesholders would insist. Trouble is, the Glazers are the shareholders and Woodward is their man.

I don’t have an answer to the problems, but I’m prepared to wait until the end of the season before shouting for Ole’s head. Get the injured players back, sort out Pogba one way or the other and buy a class striker and midfield duo is an idea but a who would want to come to this circus?

BlueHaze

Boycotting is the only way. As many people as possible with tickets to Liverpool game simply don't go. Let Woodward explain an empty stadium for a televised biggest game of the season to all his money men.
I hope that would happen but truth is it won't and probably never will. I'm hoping everyday people will quit going because it would be very damaging for the owners and all but take a look at us right now, we're at the lowest of low and it's still full every game...

Zhadow

I don’t think Allegri is the answer to our problems. He failed miserably after his championship with AC Milan when he had to rebuild the squad because his winning team was getting to old. I would go with Wenger till the summer and then try to get Poch in for the next season.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I don't know. How did Liverpool manage to lure Klopp? And it's not like managers haven't been backed.

Must add he's not a preferred choice for me.

Offsideagain

I don't know. How did Liverpool manage to lure Klopp? And it's not like managers haven't been backed.

Must add he's not a preferred choice for me.
Liverpool presented Klopp with a five year plan and backing from their American owners to tempt him to leave Germany. This, according to a Liverpool supporting mate, included a ‘none sacking clause’ in the first two seasons. Makes sense. A successful manager wants to rebuild a team needs time. He had to deal with Gerrard leaving too but they made sensible signings. Identified problem areas and spent the money on quality not media hype like Depay etc.

United Hobbit

I hope that would happen but truth is it won't and probably never will. I'm hoping everyday people will quit going because it would be very damaging for the owners and all but take a look at us right now, we're at the lowest of low and it's still full every game...
I'm going to that through the United supporters club. I can only go to 1 or 2 games a season due to finances and usually look forward to it, this has actually been the first time I'm not looking forward to it and have considered pulling out however I've paid a deposit which I think I only get back if they can refill the space. I have little desire to go all that way to see us grind out a 0-0 or get pummeled by Liverpool. I think the atmosphere will be pretty toxic as well.

While the club isnt the most advertised, it says a lot that they still have over 10 tickets available from the club's allocation for this game, yet this is probable the biggest game of our PL season, more so than vs City. Yes they probably need to advertise more as a lot of people probably dont know they exist/ cant afford to go regularly but they have had places available for a lot of the games this season

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Allegri is a traditionalist, someone who seems to believe in strength through pride in the club and team- resiliency. Something we've been sorely lacking.

I'll take more conservative footie if it means that he re-establishes the culture of playing for United being one of the biggest honors one can have as a player.

Inter Yer Nan

I'd say if we feel Poch out and he gives us signs he'd join, say in the summer, I'd say no. If Poch is angling more towards Real Madrid then yes, I'd take Allegri in a heartbeat.

Andersons Dietician

No. One of the big problems we have are our fans. We jump from this to that at the drop of a hat. If we start tweeting about Allegri and stuff and discontent is surfacing at games then likelyhood the powers that be will react and Allegri would be another swift change in direction once again showing how incompetently we are run without someone strong enough to stick to one path and build on it.

Someone needs to have the balls to stand up to the fans and media and actually stick to a plan for once.

BlueHaze

I'm going to that through the United supporters club. I can only go to 1 or 2 games a season due to finances and usually look forward to it, this has actually been the first time I'm not looking forward to it and have considered pulling out however I've paid a deposit which I think I only get back if they can refill the space. I have little desire to go all that way to see us grind out a 0-0 or get pummeled by Liverpool. I think the atmosphere will be pretty toxic as well.

While the club isnt the most advertised, it says a lot that they still have over 10 tickets available from the club's allocation for this game, yet this is probable the biggest game of our PL season, more so than vs City. Yes they probably need to advertise more as a lot of people probably dont know they exist/ cant afford to go regularly but they have had places available for a lot of the games this season
I'm sorry you have to go to witness that dross in first person and I hate to say it.. Old Trafford truly is a wonderful place but I wouldn't set a foot inside that stadium at the moment even if Frank Castle held me at gun point. I don't understand how people are willing to spend that amount of money to go to every single game and put money in the pockets of these greedy charlatans who have dragged the club down to the gutters.

People will say "it's called supporting your team" and whatever but for me supporting the team would be to do everything in your power to get these lot out. They have completely embarrassed the club. We are a biggest joke in top flight football at the moment. Even Lampard who didn't spend a dime is having his team playing ten times better than us, it's truly embarrassing. And some people have become so desperate they even want Allegri to come in.

SamVimes

Allegri is a traditionalist, someone who seems to believe in strength through pride in the club and team- resiliency. Something we've been sorely lacking.

I'll take more conservative footie if it means that he re-establishes the culture of playing for United being one of the biggest honors one can have as a player.
How can it be any more conservative than it currently is? 3 shots on target against Newcastle and none against AZ.

How is this even a debate? The guy has managed the biggest Club in Italy winning successive League titles and getting to a Champions League final. Ole relegated Cardiff and won the Norwegian League with Molde.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No.

One of the big problems over that last few years has been our tendency to jump from one type of manager to another, pulling the squad hither and thither in the process. We need principles and an identity to stick with so one manger failing doesn't automatically mean a massive overhaul of everything he did is necessary.

We hired Solskjaer with the notion that he would instil supposed "Manchester United" principles like attacking football and emphasis on youth back into the side. Solskjaer might be an awful manager but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong those principles.

If that's what the club believes in (and the club has to believe in something) then we should stick to them it in all circumstances. If we sack Solskjaer (and we should) then the new manager should be someone who fits into that same idea of what the club should be, just while being a better manager in the process.

Nothing I've seen from Allegri suggests he fits.

opopop

I'd worry if you gave it to Allegri or any other manager then the likes of Young, Lingard, Matic are going to "impress" the manager in the first couple of months keeping them here longer only to inevitably fall back to their usual standards and have us floundering still.

SamVimes

No. One of the big problems we have are our fans. We jump from this to that at the drop of a hat. If we start tweeting about Allegri and stuff and discontent is surfacing at games then likelyhood the powers that be will react and Allegri would be another swift change in direction once again showing how incompetently we are run without someone strong enough to stick to one path and build on it.

Someone needs to have the balls to stand up to the fans and media and actually stick to a plan for once.
Right, so it's all the fans fault? The owners, board members, chief executive, manager, coaches and players have no responsibility?

And as for a plan, what plan? I have seen nothing on the football pitch that indicates this manager has a plan or way of playing. Nothing. There is not one player who has improved in the last eight months.

Irrational.

Any manager that's not Ole would get the job right now. It will stop the slide (momentarily) and allow us to catch our breath so that we can start planning for next season behind the scenes. (And this time stick to the plan - no hasty decisions. Just hold our horses until the end of the season).

Allegri would be a vast improvement on Ole and at least he can make us more competitive than we are.

Ole just isn't cutting it and is doing more harm to the club than good. He must go.

Offsideagain

Some years ago during the LVG era, I phoned 606 on radio five to discuss the situation at OT. I said that the Glazers only cared about the money and whilst the club churned out revenue for them they would just carry on with LVG. I suggested at the time a boycott of the Superstores and was hammered by Savage and Jason Mohamed for not supporting the team. They totally missed the point as they are thick. Nothing has changed except we would nowt last season and we did under LVG and Jose. I want the club to back Ole with a sensible approach to transfers. They make enough money to fund a few big stars with proven record but that raises another issue. What happens to these ‘stars’ when they land in Manchester? Di Maria, Depay, Sanchez etc all seem to give up when they put on a red shirt.