Would you give the job to Allegri right now?

SirMattlives

I don't watch enough of the Italian league to know but does any club there play free-flowing, attacking football? I think Allegri is a top manager and maybe the style people imagine being his only way of playing reflects the context more. Certainly when I watched Juventus in Champs League, they were not boring. All to say, he might recognize what's required here and be more able to deliver than we give him credit for right now. But still, given the OP, I would not favor appointing now. The last few weeks have been dire, undoubtedly, but we set out this year to play youth, rebuild, try a more attacking style. I've seen glimpses, but the thin squad and a raft of injuries as derailed us all a little. I have my doubts about Ole but we promised him time so let's see it out, and let's get that DoF we were promised. If we have to make changes at lower level, can we please find some more astute tactical nous for the coaching staff than Mikey (shorts) Phelan and co. They can stay if necessary but we need someone like Quiroz to help.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I wouldn't give Allegri the job at all.
He is ultra defensive and extremely boring.
If you want Allegri, you may as well ask Jose to return - he'll do a better job and will already know what needs to be done.
Even LVG would be better.

Devil may care

No, forget whether he's better than Ole or whether his football is boring, the main problem is he's a classic Italian manager, he likes old pros, seasoned veterans that don't need coaching so much as organizing, we have the wrong type of squad for his strengths.

Murtaza

Give Allegri the job. Our players aren't good technically to play attacking football & we can't get the right players if we allow things to go on the way they are. He has the tactical knowledge & is a good man manager. He'll drill the players well & will be able to grind out the results. The squad we have is more fit for his style of play rather than Poch's anyway & there is no guarantee we will be able to get the right players for Poch's style.

Andersons Dietician

Right, so it's all the fans fault? The owners, board members, chief executive, manager, coaches and players have no responsibility?

And as for a plan, what plan? I have seen nothing on the football pitch that indicates this manager has a plan or way of playing. Nothing. There is not one player who has improved in the last eight months.
Read my post again then point out to me where I said it’s all the fans fault please?

Nick.

No just be patient for Poch. It's not as if Allegri can save our season, it's already over.

Canagel

Of course yes. We even have the numbers in defence to play one of his favorite systems : the 3-5-2. It's only missing a good CM and attacking LB which we can give him the money to buy in Jan.
And I don't think it will be too difficult for him to teach our strikers some attacking patterns and how to move properly - plus he already know how to build the team around Pogba properly. Not what clueless managers like Mourinho and Ole have done making him play in DM. Get him now before Tottenham or Arsenal do.

Last edited:

Sir Scott McToMinay

No, we need to stop appointing managers reactionary, just because someone is available doesn’t mean he is the right fit for the club.
Allegei would never come here as a caretaker.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
No. My preference is to stick with Ole but, were the worst to happen, I'd much rather pinch Bielsa from Leeds than go for Allegri.

Halal Jalal

Of course yes. We even have the numbers in defence to play one of his favorite systems : the 3-5-2. It's only missing a good CM and attacking LB which we can give him the money to buy in Jan.
And I don't think it will be too difficult for him to teach our strikers some attacking patterns and how to move properly - plus he already know how to build the team around Pogba properly. Not what clueless managers like Mourinho and Ole have done making him play in DM.
Absolutely. Watched a lot of Juve when PP was there (and a little afterwards), Allegri is probably the most flexible manager I have ever seen. Adopted Conte's 3-5-2 at first, switched to his favourite diamond/4-3-1-2 later, then dealt with Pogba's departure by switching to 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 to get the most out of Higuain/Dybala partnership, then switched to 4-3-3 to accommodate Ronaldo in his last season. Always focused on getting the most out of the players at his disposal instead of sticking to particular formation or philosophy. We really need this tactical insight right now because Ole is probably the most tactically hopeless manager to ever get a job in PL.

Allegri isn't an attacking coach like Pep or Klopp, but I wouldn't say he's a strictly defensive one like Mourinho or Simeone either. What he usually does is instruct his players to control the match once they're leading - either by dropping deep, or retaining possession - but from what I've seen he never plays for draws, Juve were always attacking if the score was tied. And obviously as you've already mentioned, he has excellent relationship with Paul and that could be crucial for the future of United.

Kammy26

No, he’s not the right fit for us. Knowing our luck that means he will be our next manager haha.

I’d go all out for Marco rose or Nagelsmann. Even if they struggled initially as long as I can see some sort of improvement or style they will have my full support.

el3mel

Allegri is a top tier manager and I don't care about his defensive football nonsense people keep saying. However I don't think he's suited for rebuilding teams and coaching proper football into awfully coached and clueless players.

Poch is a better option for us at the current stage.

But of course if we couldn't get Poch I'll give it to Allegri 100%. He will for sure do better than our current clueless and awful manager.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If you want the “current vision” of the club to be taken forward(loads of young British players committed to the club)then Pochettino and Eddie Howe are the only realistic options(Unless we take a bold decision by going for Brendan Rodgers)...
Not really- Poch,Rodgers, Potter, Rose, Hassenhuttl, Wenger - all are quite good for clubs current vision.

Halal Jalal

Allegri is a top tier manager and I don't care about his defensive football nonsense people keep saying. However I don't think he's suited for rebuilding teams and coaching proper football into awfully coached and clueless players.

Poch is a better option for us at the current stage.

But of course if we couldn't get Poch I'll give it to Allegri 100%. He will for sure do better than our current clueless and awful manager.
Yeah that's a good point, I don't think Allegri is interested in youth development at all. He loves his veterans and would definitely buy Mandzukic in January. Still, I'd trust him to establish us 3rd best team in England within a season and half.

Allegri > Nagelsmann > Poch for me, but honestly there are at least 10 others I'd take immediately and 100+ others better than Ole from Molde.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Is there really a difference between Poch and Allegri though?

Poch
Age 47,
Win % 54
Points per match 1.87
Goals per match 2.31

Allegri (taking his Milan stats since Juve has been dominating for years)

Age 52
Win % 51
Points per match 1.86
Goals per match 1.69

There is no big difference between him and cafe darling Poch. Goals scored are considerably better but when you have the best striker in the world, you will score more.

Only argument is he did in serie A while Poch did that in epl.
This was my post in another thread. If you are expecting goals galore with Poch, then you are in for a major disappointment. He will make our players and play better , much better than what we see now. End of the day, quality of players matters and it will be down to the signings we make.

That being said, I will definitely take Allegri next summer.

Canagel

Absolutely. Watched a lot of Juve when PP was there (and a little afterwards), Allegri is probably the most flexible manager I have ever seen. Adopted Conte's 3-5-2 at first, switched to his favourite diamond/4-3-1-2 later, then dealt with Pogba's departure by switching to 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 to get the most out of Higuain/Dybala partnership, then switched to 4-3-3 to accommodate Ronaldo in his last season. Always focused on getting the most out of the players at his disposal instead of sticking to particular formation or philosophy. We really need this tactical insight right now because Ole is probably the most tactically hopeless manager to ever get a job in PL.

Allegri isn't an attacking coach like Pep or Klopp, but I wouldn't say he's a strictly defensive one like Mourinho or Simeone either. What he usually does is instruct his players to control the match once they're leading - either by dropping deep, or retaining possession - but from what I've seen he never plays for draws, Juve were always attacking if the score was tied. And obviously as you've already mentioned, he has excellent relationship with Paul and that could be crucial for the future of United.
Exactly. His so called "defensive style" is very exaggerated. Whenever I watched them in CL it wasn't unwatchable football like Simeone's or playing for the draw like you said but he won't send his team out for the kill when they go ahead. Still better than not having a clue how to get shots on the goal.
And I don't think Pep will be staying after this season. Even Klopp might leave if he wins Liverpool the title. There could be a really good opportunity for manager like Allegri to make a mark in this league.

United Hobbit

I'm sorry you have to go to witness that dross in first person and I hate to say it.. Old Trafford truly is a wonderful place but I wouldn't set a foot inside that stadium at the moment even if Frank Castle held me at gun point. I don't understand how people are willing to spend that amount of money to go to every single game and put money in the pockets of these greedy charlatans who have dragged the club down to the gutters.

People will say "it's called supporting your team" and whatever but for me supporting the team would be to do everything in your power to get these lot out. They have completely embarrassed the club. We are a biggest joke in top flight football at the moment. Even Lampard who didn't spend a dime is having his team playing ten times better than us, it's truly embarrassing. And some people have become so desperate they even want Allegri to come in.
Oh I completely agree, it feels so wrong to be saying I don't want to go as well as I know how desperate so many fans are to go to Old Trafford, I've been lucky enough to go a few times through the supporters club as I live down south & without their ticket access and the coach I probably would have less chance to go. They also tend to lose or get a 0-0 when I go as well I've only seen them win once though that was against Liverpool so I'm pretty sure my trend will continue!
It almost feels like a sin to say I don't want to go and according to Ole you can't just expect it to be sunny days or whatever the hell he said yesterday and I would be absolutely fine with going if we were serving up exciting performances and getting beaten eg Lampard and Chelsea. He is having to use young players but they are being supported. It is also the fact its Liverpool, who are doing so well at the moment and have that chance to equal City's 18 run win streak imagine if that's against us... they will sense blood. I would rather it was City as the rivalry is less historic.

I just hope Ole (given it looks like he is going nowhere) puts the biggest rocket known to man kind up the players, certain ones in particular, and they pull off a shock win!

What I would have absolutely loved is to have had the opportunity to go and watch some of Fergie's sides live I bet that was a fantastic experience

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I don't believe it's possible to finish in the top two without adopting the high press game and developing it beyond where Klopp and Pep are.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
if you did not like Mourinho, you wont like Allegri. Very similar although a bit better.

Simone, Mourinho, Conte and Allegri are all similar. Defensive win 1-0 types of managers.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Exactly. His so called "defensive style" is very exaggerated. Whenever I watched them in CL it wasn't unwatchable football like Simeone's or playing for the draw like you said but he won't send his team out for the kill when they go ahead. Still better than not having a clue how to get shots on the goal.
And I don't think Pep will be staying after this season. Even Klopp might leave if he wins Liverpool the title. There could be a really good opportunity for manager like Allegri to make a mark in this league.
"Maybe the better managers will all leave" doesn't strike me as grounds for great optimism for the appointment of a new manager. :nervous:

USREDEVIL

No thanks. Feels like too much of a rebound manager - too desperate for anyone. Rather have Poch or Tuchel, someone like that.

targetman

Yes.

I wouldn't expect a huge upturn in form, or even a top four finish, but OGS is so tactically inept that we simply need a PL level manager in for the rest of the season.

mu4c_20le

I'd rather bring Jose back if we're going down this route.
if he hadn't burned his bridges sure. I don't think many actually hate him for his football, but for being a cnut, and he was never actually our cnut.

JustAGuest

We have been struggling for goals ever since Fergie retired. I would be very hesitant to give the job to a manager as defensive as Allegri.

AshRK

We're discussing it as he would accept it the moment Ed picks up the phone and dials his number.

He's a gentleman, a very respectable and calm person and a tactically astute manager. But he's not a madman.

Come here so that Rashy, Tony, JLingz, Matic, Mata and the "new class of '92" would be shoved down his throat by Woodward? I know i wouldn't.

Being Italian also means that he comes from a footballing school of sheer realism. He would take this team to an upper midtable finish by treating each game like a final and by grinding out results. He could also help us in the EL, should he have a couple of transfers ready in January.

But our fans don't want that. They want attacking football and intricate passing in tight spaces with players like Rashford and Martial, who lose the ball the moment they touch it. They believe that Greenwood is the next RvP and that Gomes is the second coming of Christ. They were celebrating when we were going into the season with a paper-thin squad because the deadwood was gone, youth would be given a fair shot and a manager who gets the "United way" was at the helm.

The same fans on this thread are suggesting that we should say no to Allegri because he's "too defensive" while the club is wallowing two points above the relegation zone and needs a miracle to score a goal from open play.

Allegri would be doing us a favour, if he chose to come here.
Trust me at this rate any top manager would do us a favour by joining us.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Depends who else is available, and if we appointed him tomorrow I wouldn't be too unhappy about it.

Don't really get the no because he's boring, let's hire Pochettino instead thing as Poch's Spurs don't really captivate me with the football they play outside of what they did the CL last season either. Thought 'Arrys Spurs were a much better watch during his time there although obviously not quite as good.

I'd probably go for neither ideally and would fancy a punt on Nagelsmann like a few others but if that isn't possible I'd be ok with Allegri. Big contrast in styles of course, but he's a good/successful manager with a nice cv and at 52 still has plenty of years left.

Last edited:

Teja

No for Allegri, go all out for Poch.

He's a better version of Ole (in that he encourages youth, plays positive attacking football, more tactically astute, not whiny like Jose etc.) and Poch would be a better fit given we chose to get rid of deadwood and focus on youth already. We made a mistake by picking Jose and hoping for a quick fix after LvG and that did not work at all. Lets not make the same mistake with Allegri again.

Amerifan

If we’re making a change, I’d like us to be more ambitious than Allegri.

RedB4ndiT

Really surprised people keep saying we should go for Poch. The man has won NOTHING in all his years at Tottenham. Zero trophies. Not even the lowly EFL Cup.

If Poch were managing PSG right now, I still don't think he'd win any trophies. He just doesn't know how to win them. He's the ultimate choke artist.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We'll just sack him in next two years and proceed to another manager who will get inevitably sacked.

Club's top of command will come up with the real plan, or we'll just have same conversations over and over again, every one or two seasons.

mav_9me

What would be the point of appointing a defensive minded coach when our biggest problem is attack and playing pass and move football?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
This is surreal. We would do it, get giddy for a while, then start abusing him and calling for him to be sacked within a year.

People can search, loads predicted this with ole, mourinho, van gaal.

As fans we should expend no effort anywhere other than calling for complete upheaval at board level.

If you think we're not at risk of decades of this you're absolutely deluded. No manager can fix it under current owners and Woodward operating the way they are
The difference is though that I'm afraid Ole is out of his depth. He has no experience. I admire his straightforwardness and he's clearly intelligent but he has a proven record of disappointing rather than succeeding. It's just fact.

I'd love it if it worked out for him but I think he's rapidly losing the dressing room, won't command the respect from top players due to his lack of experience and overall has no idea what to do in certain tricky situations. People were saying it at the time when he first joined and its proven to be true. I don't have a clue what the next step is but we can't stick with Ole.

Jibbs

The only manager we should give the job to and who would perfectly align with United vision is Pochettino.

bleedred

The only manager we should give the job to and who would perfectly align with United vision is Pochettino.
Would he be rather managing Real or a team in championship/bottom half of PL.

I am serious when I say that if we keep ole and wait for poch till the end of season, that’s the scenario we are facing.

USREDEVIL

Would he be rather managing Real or a team in championship/bottom half of PL.

I am serious when I say that if we keep ole and wait for poch till the end of season, that’s the scenario we are facing.
Nah, looks like Zidane got Real back to a reasonable state.