Would you give the job to Allegri right now?

Nikelesh Reddy

Would he be rather managing Real or a team in championship/bottom half of PL.

I am serious when I say that if we keep ole and wait for poch till the end of season, that’s the scenario we are facing.
Pochettino likes clubs to give him time to build his teams...At Real he won’t get the time,even if he performs spectacularly well he won’t survive for more than 3 seasons....Whereas at United he could be here for a decade if he performs well....

Adcuth

He's alright, I think he'd come here just for the money though rather than the project.

I want Tuchel. I think his tactical planning, player selection for the opponent and his trust in youth are 3 things needed at Utd. I wanted him before we got Jose but her we are. Let ole have this season and do what we can to get Tuchel in. Ideally we get him in before January and let him make any changes he can mid season before backing him fully in the summer. He's the best man for our job though. It used to be Pep or Klopp but they're not coming now, we shouldn't wait until Tuchel is the Arsenal manager and regretting it

Jibbs

Would he be rather managing Real or a team in championship/bottom half of PL.

I am serious when I say that if we keep ole and wait for poch till the end of season, that’s the scenario we are facing.
You are absolutely right. That's why I think as soon as Poch becomes available we should sack Ole and appoint him.

LoneStar

All these people who want attractive attacking football, you do realise that if we finish outside top 6 (very real possibility), we can't attract good enough players right?

We need to focus on the results, and start to consistently make top 4 again, and build from there.

Another season of finishing outside top 4/6 would make this the norm.

Alabaster Codify7

You know what, Allegri would be an idiot to take this job with this squad.

Allegri excels when he has a mean defence protected by a rock-solid midfield three. Our defence is okay, but they have no protection - even a defensive manager like Allegri would struggle trying to turn McTominay, Matic, Fred and Pereira into Pirlo, Vidal, Marchisio, Matuidi.

He'd utilise Pogba better but he'd need a lot of money to do so and our board probably wouldn't back him.

That said, from a financial POV (which is how our club operates), Allegri is a more feasible option than someone like Nagelsmann. No young, attacking manager will succeed here without £150-200m spent on a RW, a striker, a #10. They could try eking it out with Allegri by giving him £80m for a CDM and hoping he can drag us over the line with 1-0 wins.

The Siege

Nope.

It's a terrible plan. This team can still be 'saved' with a few attacking additions and a fluid attack-oriented manager. Allegri would lose his job before making this team close to the level of solid he'd need it to be before his tactics work. And we'll be left with some players with no role left in the club because the new manager has no idea how or why to use them and... wait... that sounds familiar.

Adcuth

All these people who want attractive attacking football, you do realise that if we finish outside top 6 (very real possibility), we can't attract good enough players right?

We need to focus on the results, and start to consistently make top 4 again, and build from there.

Thats ridiculous! You could buy players from outside the top 6 in this league that can play that type of football. We need to focus on building a team not buying the best player's on thr world. We've done that and shown it doesn't work. Get the basics right then add the class that fits what you already have but makes it better

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It reminds me of some people i know who are turning down offers because they're waiting for the "right job" and then they are angry and depressed because they have to ask their parents for money to get through the month.

Allegri would get us somewhere. Not exactly where we envision ourselves to be but he can help us see where the youngsters, the good players like Pogba or even the ones we think of as finished stand in a tactically sound plan that's doesn't depend solely on wishful thinking and easily spoken cliches. He won't try to convince us that it's a matter of fitness, hard-work and guile. He will be speaking about football in his pressers. And he may bring a couple of players who will stay here for the long-term.

He's not Mourinho by any means. He pays a lot of attention to the tactical aspect of the game but he rarely restraints his sides when he feels that they can produce football. The way he approached the final against Barcelona was much more courageous than the way we approached our two finals against them (i'm not comparing him to SAF, in case anyone's wondering).

United Hobbit

Genuine question- how come people haven't been put off wanting Pochettino when Total are going backwards nearly as quickly as we are? Has he lost the dressing room there if so what hope does he have with ours contained the "virus?" Surely he isn't trying to force himself out? He was even able to make signings this summer if this was going to happen I expected it last season, also the Tottenham players seem to have the same mentality ours do.

I was all for him when we were looking for a manager last season though the lack of even a small cup such as the league cup, especially with the likes of Kane and Son at his disposable concerned me however now he comes with even more question marks.

While they couldn't defend very well and got lucky at times I liked the football Red Bull Salzburg were playing when they played Liverpool in the CL they were unlucky to lose that game however I dont know their usual style and I think their manager is quite new so not sure if he is ready yet

Last edited:

LoneStar

Thats ridiculous! You could buy players from outside the top 6 in this league that can play that type of football. We need to focus on building a team not buying the best player's on thr world. We've done that and shown it doesn't work. Get the basics right then add the class that fits what you already have but makes it better
Okay let's forget Maguire joined us for a second.

We finish outside of top 6 this season. Both us and City are in for him, who do you think he'll choose?

There's a reason teams like Barca, Madrid and even United in the past have dominated their leagues/ competitions. They always took the best talent in their leagues and had world class players. If we buy players from the lower teams, we'll end up in their position.

The best talent always has competiton and unless we give them insane wages, there is no reason to join us then.

LoneStar

It reminds me of some people i know who are turning down offers because they're waiting for the "right job" and then they are angry and depressed because they have to ask their parents for money to get through the month.

Allegri would get us somewhere. Not exactly where we envision ourselves to be but he can help us see where the youngsters, the good players like Pogba or even the ones we think of as finished stand in a tactically sound plan that's doesn't depend solely on wishful thinking and easily spoken cliches. He won't try to convince us that it's a matter of fitness, hard-work and guile. He will be speaking about football in his pressers. And he may bring a couple of players who will stay here for the long-term.

He's not Mourinho by any means. He pays a lot of attention to the tactical aspect of the game but he rarely restraints his sides when he feels that they can produce football. The way he approached the final against Barcelona was much more courageous than the way we approached our two finals against them (i'm not comparing him to SAF, in case anyone's wondering).
Yeah good managers attract good talent as well.

What I feel is we desperately need to cement the top 4 consistently at the very least.

Of course I would prefer winning and attractive football, but it's always going to be in that order.

Adcuth

We finish outside of top 6 this season. Both us and City are in for him, who do you think he'll choose?

There's a reason teams like Barca, Madrid and even United in the past have dominated their leagues/ competitions. They always took the best talent in their leagues and had world class players. If we buy players from the lower teams, we'll end up in their position.

The best talent always has competiton and unless we give them insane wages, there is no reason to join us then.
There is also a reason teams like wolves, Leicester, palace and Burnley can turn over top 6 teams. Will city and Liverpool always be in for those players?

SER19

The difference is though that I'm afraid Ole is out of his depth. He has no experience. I admire his straightforwardness and he's clearly intelligent but he has a proven record of disappointing rather than succeeding. It's just fact.

I'd love it if it worked out for him but I think he's rapidly losing the dressing room, won't command the respect from top players due to his lack of experience and overall has no idea what to do in certain tricky situations. People were saying it at the time when he first joined and its proven to be true. I don't have a clue what the next step is but we can't stick with Ole.
Yeah I think I agree with you, but my overall point is that the next manager, in the same circumstances, will absolutely definitely fail

Nick7

No. Don’t like his style of football and unsure how he’d do with this mediocrity.

Tel074

That's nonsense . Liverpool bought Mane VVD Lalana from Southampton and have they not done ok ? What about Robertson from Hull ? Is he not the best LB in the League?
If you buy the right players they don't need to be world superstars they fit a system and they can improve you

the chameleon

No it would be going round in circles.

He’s a pragmatist that dominated in a one team league. I don’t think he would suited to us in terms of playing style. But also, he’ll struggle in the PL where all the top 8 are arguably on par with our thin team.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
No one could work with this board and that twerp of a CEO. They don't want Manchester United to succeed. They want to leech it, to suck it dry. Ole was naive to take the gig. Klopp was smart to see through the bs. What was the pitch from our least favourite Ventriloquist's Dummy? It will be Disneyland on Ice?

witchtrials

No. Although a better manager obviously than Ole, I don’t think he’s the man that will take us as far forward as we would like.
Yeah, I agree with this... though I'm no expert on Italian football so I could be underestimating Allegri.

When Solskjaer goes - which sadly seems pretty inevitable now - we shouldn't just be thinking in terms of whichever big name managers are currently out of a job. We need to identify a manager whose tactical setup and coaching can drag our football into the 21st Century. That might or might not mean waiting until next summer, but if so we should take the hit and wait it out with a stopgap solution. Appointing a manager like Allegri involves making a serious commitment, the kind of commitment we should only make to someone who is a great fit for that project. That great candidate is unlikely to be one of the few big name managers currently without a club. So we should poach someone else's manager if we can, or if that's not possible at this point in the season, appoint a caretaker until the right person is available.

ryansgirl

Pochettino likes clubs to give him time to build his teams...At Real he won’t get the time,even if he performs spectacularly well he won’t survive for more than 3 seasons....Whereas at United he could be here for a decade if he performs well....
So............Ole should not be given time to re-build United but Pochettino who is on the slide with Spurs, hasn`t won jack and seems to have put a few of his players offside should be given the years that some here are screaming Ole shouldn`t?

Makes sense - not. Allegri is the only viable and realistic alternative. Pchettino is only good for possiby bringing Harry Kane - and that`s not enough to put him in charge.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't know enough about him. Is he
  • A proper coach of players? Someone who can build a team and playstyle? (LVG, Pep, Klopp etc)
  • Someone who promoted youth and attacking football?
From what I hear he's another Mourinho. In which case - no.

amolbhatia50k

For your dream club you make concessions.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Allegri would just be the same mistake again, ie a name with a different style to the manager before.

No wonder some of your players are playing badly theyve bounced from LvG to Mou to Ole - if someone new has to come in try and make sure they can work with the squad or big parts of the squad that you have and then appoint a DoF to set the strategy. Otherwise history will just repeat again and again.

gajender

I don't know enough about him. Is he
  • A proper coach of players? Someone who can build a team and playstyle? (LVG, Pep, Klopp etc)
  • Someone who promoted youth and attacking football?
From what I hear he's another Mourinho. In which case - no.
Though I am in favour of appointing a progressive coach who excels in attacking football and would integrate youth in the first team while improving players individually as well as collectively but if the Choice is between Pochettino and Allegri I would rather go with Allegri because there is not much between them in terms of football their teams play and If Allegri is anything like peak Mourinho it wouldn't be a bad thing would it not the broken version we got.

amolbhatia50k

Though I am in favour of appointing a progressive coach who excels in attacking football and would integrate youth in the first team while improving players individually as well as collectively but if the Choice is between Pochettino and Allegri I would rather go with Allegri because there is not much between them in terms of football their teams play and If Allegri is anything like peak Mourinho it wouldn't be a bad thing would it not the broken version we got.
I think we need something very specific right now. A team building coach who can give us a proper tactical plan. Someone who can give us a progressive identity (ideally also attacking football and youth). I don't think we should chase managers who have a winning record but aren't great in the earlier mentioned aspects.

A part of me is hoping we can bag the next top tactician. But we never do anything out of the box really. I expect it to be the usual names people link us with. That's how it's been under Woodward.

amolbhatia50k

Also has Allegri ever properly built a team? For me the difficult work at Juve was all done by Conte. Don't know about Milan. Pochettino definitely did this at Spurs.

gajender

I think we need something very specific right now. A team building coach who can give us a proper tactical plan. Someone who can give us a progressive identity (ideally also attacking football and youth). I don't think we should chase managers who have a winning record but aren't great in the earlier mentioned aspects.

A part of me is hoping we can bag the next top tactician. But we never do anything out of the box really. I expect it to be the usual names people link us with. That's how it's been under Woodward.
Agree with you completely but our board seem to be way too cautious when it comes to managerial appointments one time they did experiment it has backfired, we need our board to be brave and find the a young candidate well versed with attacking philosophy and give him proper platform to succeed if it needs half our team to be jettisoned so be it.

gajender

Also has Allegri ever properly built a team? For me the difficult work at Juve was all done by Conte. Don't know about Milan. Pochettino definitely did this at Spurs.
I think team building should not be the domain of managers at all he should always have the input but he should not be dictating the direction of the club, I don't think neither Conte or Pochettino rebuild their respective clubs it was more the job of people in background.

amolbhatia50k

Agree with you completely but our board seem to be way too cautious when it comes to managerial appointments one time they did experiment it has backfired, we need our board to be brave and find the a young candidate well versed with attacking philosophy and give him proper platform to succeed if it needs half our team to be jettisoned so be it.
The problem is that even their experiment was one that they pretty much had to go for. There was a huge clamour for Ole getting the job and it became yet again the obvious choice.

amolbhatia50k

I think team building should not be the domain of managers at all he should always have the input but he should not be dictating the direction of the club, I don't think neither Conte or Pochettino rebuild their respective clubs it was more the job of people in background.
Pochettino definitely built that team given Spurs had a 5 year transfer ban and he had to develop from within.

I think we're in danger of giving far too much credit to the people in the background. No doubt it's relevant but the manager plays a huge part.

Also I was sort of alluding more to the coaching of the team and building a style and cohesive football team. Team building is also key, but possibly not the right term for what I meant. We need a proper proper coach. It may not last but even fat Frank has managed to put a strong impact on his team from a tactifal and stylistic POV.

gajender

Pochettino definitely built that team given Spurs had a 5 year transfer ban and he had to develop from within.

I think we're in danger of giving far too much credit to the people in the background. No doubt it's relevant but the manager plays a huge part.

Also I was sort of alluding more to the coaching of the team and building a style and cohesive football team. Team building is also key, but possibly not the right term for what I meant. We need a proper proper coach. It may not last but even fat Frank has managed to put a strong impact on his team from a tactifal and stylistic POV.
I get what you are saying and I think Pochettino had done a remarkable job with the tools he was given , his best work seem to be done on training ground as well hecould do very well with us but his football just doesn't do it for me and about your point about giving too much credit to people in background it's also fair ultimately football is played on the field for which coach bears the greatest responsibility .

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I would. Allegri is not Conte or Mou who believe in one way of playing. He is known to change formations to fit the players he's got. Sure he tends to go for defensive football. That's because it's easier to play defensive football in teams were talent is scarce

He is also a great man manager and is extremely present on the pitch. Allegri is a massive upgrade over ole

gajender

I would. Allegri is not Conte or Mou who believe in one way of playing. He is known to change formations to fit the players he's got. Sure he tends to go for defensive football. That's because it's easier to play defensive football in teams were talent is scarce

He is also a great man manager and is extremely present on the pitch. Allegri is a massive upgrade over ole
Just one question do you believe given the right players is he capable of competing against current version of Liverpool and City or doing one better actually winning the league because I believe Conte is capable of doing it is Allegri in the same league.

LoneStar

There is also a reason teams like wolves, Leicester, palace and Burnley can turn over top 6 teams. Will city and Liverpool always be in for those players?
Wouldn't be a problem if making it to top 4 of top 6 is our aim. I want United to win things, not become the next Arsenal.

SAFMUTD

Even Juve fans were sick of his boring football, he won’t be as bad as Ole but ffs have we learned nothing?

LoneStar

That's nonsense . Liverpool bought Mane VVD Lalana from Southampton and have they not done ok ? What about Robertson from Hull ? Is he not the best LB in the League?
If you buy the right players they don't need to be world superstars they fit a system and they can improve you
Name one team who have won consistently while not having any superstars. United have always bought the best British talent during the Fergie era.

The probability of us finishing the next Klopp is very slim, and we cannot afford to feck up the next season or two.

For every Mane or Roberston, there are so many players who have turned out to be bang average.