Would you rather a RB and a CM or two CMs?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Bit of a throwaway thread, but still. Just saw people talking about greed and what they want to see from the club this summer. I would take Dalot/Williams/whoever as backup to AWB for the season if it meant buying two midfielders (assuming Pogba is off) instead of one. And I like Fred and McTominay - view them as very good squad players, and I've not given up on Donny either, maybe he adapts to us or our style becomes more progressive.

I like Trippier as a right back option, but would people have him over augmenting the midfield further?

Jev

I don't think any signing would currently improve our football more than a proficient attacking right-back. If anything I'd rather have a right-back than one CM (that's provided Pogba doesn't leave, in which case a CM would obviously be highest priority).

davidmichael

If Pogba stays then obviously a right back and a defensive midfielder for me in my opinion but if Pogba were to go then I think you have to go with two midfielders as there’s not enough creativity in midfield and if Fernandes were to suffer an injury we’d be fecked.

Polar

I’m very very happy if we get Trippier and a CM.

If we get Trippier, we probably also can cash in Telles (Italy).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd take a RB & CM over two CM's

I'd also take one CM over a RB

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Trippier, a proper DM and Pogba leaving (because I don’t think we’ll spend big on a DM unless he leaves).

Beek/McT in the B2B role.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, I'm basing this on if Pogba leaves. We wouldn't be able to accommodate two new midfielders if he were to stay.

Just as an example, for me, Camavinga and Neves would be a more promising move than Camavinga and Trippier (I'm not too hopeful over Camavinga given his Spain preferences, but just as an example). My take would change if Ole and his staff were ready to promote Garner, but I doubt that.

Chief123

Bit of a throwaway thread, but still. Just saw people talking about greed and what they want to see from the club this summer. I would take Dalot/Williams/whoever as backup to AWB for the season if it meant buying two midfielders (assuming Pogba is off) instead of one. And I like Fred and McTominay - view them as very good squad players, and I've not given up on Donny either, maybe he adapts to us or our style becomes more progressive.

I like Trippier as a right back option, but would people have him over augmenting the midfield further?
Even though Trippier would probably be a back up player, Right back is currently our most important position to have an adequate backup.

We are probably wanting to get Trippier in for a large amount of games at Old trafford where AWB defensive strength isn’t really going to be tested. Where teams are parking the bus and we need to break them down. Also, Trippier would allow us to play a 352 effectively. We weren’t able to do that last season as wing back did not suit AWB.

RedUnited76

In: Trippier and Niguez/Goretzka
Out: Pogba

2022:
In: Haaland and Rice
Out: Matic, Cavani, Mata ++

wolvored

Cant see Pogba staying and we need to sell him, not let him run his contract down. 2 CM for me.

Bertie Wooster

It's a tough choice, as it really does depend on the available options - and whether or not Pogba leaves.

If Pogba goes then, more than anything, we obviously need an attacking midfield replacement capable of replicating his attacking and creative contributions. That wouldn't come cheap, so I think we'd only be looking at Trippier, at most, as a second signing - and saving the expensive DM until next season.

If Pogba stays, which I'd prefer, then it all depends on if we find a top quality DM to bring in. If we do, then I'd prefer that, as a starting option, to bringing in Trippier as an alternative RB. However, if we can't find a top quality DM, then I'd rather bring in Trippier - whose a quality RB - than, say, a young promising CM like Camavinga.

So, as I said, it's really difficult to choose before knowing whether Pogba is leaving and just who the CM/DM additions would be.

jesperjaap

Christ why does every thread end up about Pogba? Irrelevant whether he stays or goes he hasn tbeen THE answer in central midfield.

For me we have two very good SQUAD players in McFred, someone who so far hasnt looke dto fit in at all in VDB and an ageing Matic who is still a good squad option if his legs havent finally gone.

Right back we have Bissaka whose positioning has been very poor....so has all of our defenders bar Maguire and even he has been at times. Going forward he has improved a lot I think over the last season but improvements still need to be made of course. But lets not forget he hasnt had a proper right winger in front of him which he now has in Sancho and he also has a proper good base in his the two centre backs that should bring mre organisation. So for me he is still a very good starter, I actually thought he was one of our better players over the second half of last season and criticism though justified on some of the positioning, otherwise has been totally unfair.

We all have our opinions but I dont understand the rather a right back than ANY centrla midfielders? People keep talking about our attaking talent yet there were many games last season we didnt creat many chances. One reason is the speed and inaccuracy of us moving the ball. Varane in himself improves this with a more steady defence the midfielders can play higher hopefully. But NONE of them are the answe at the moment. McFred arent defensive midfielders and neither of them are good enough on the ball either to be startin geleven players. VDB has bene poor, Pogba for all his abilities is often very slack on the ball in poor areas.

I do like Garner and Hannibal but too early for Garner I feel and Hannibal I think is actually ready for a decent number of appearances, but whoever we sign in central midfield, I cant help feeling we need another.

I would without a shadow of a doubt this window at least keep Dalot as back up to sign two central midfielders. We could for example sign Bissouma AND Camavinga selling Lingard and Pogba.

CM10

Probably the RB and CM. Wan-Bissaka needs the competition/cover and I think it's more straightforward to identify the RB target (Trippier) than two midfielders in one go.

jesperjaap

Even though Trippier would probably be a back up player, Right back is currently our most important position to have an adequate backup.

We are probably wanting to get Trippier in for a large amount of games at Old trafford where AWB defensive strength isn’t really going to be tested. Where teams are parking the bus and we need to break them down. Also, Trippier would allow us to play a 352 effectively. We weren’t able to do that last season as wing back did not suit AWB.

Personally I dont understand the "most important back up" position stance. Of course a strong squad is needed....but there is a limit to the number of players or money we can spend. At the start of this window we needed ideally a centre back, two central midfielders and a right winger for our starting eleven and we have a HUGE squad numbers wise. It just isnt the window for me to be making squad signings but first eleven imorovements.

We are talking about a back up right back and I dont see us going 3-5-2 and hope we dotn either with th eplayers we have. Bissaka hasnt missed many games and for me WIlliams, Dalot and Laird...one of them for 10games over the season isnt so bad is it for one season? Also I cant see Trippier being less than £25m and he is 31, is that really a good deal at all?

jesperjaap

Probably the RB and CM. Wan-Bissaka needs the competition/cover and I think it's more straightforward to identify the RB target (Trippier) than two midfielders in one go.
But are there many other options than a 31 year old that will cost upwards of £20m at right back? As there are a dozen central midfielders under £40m as potential options

KD6-3.7

If Pogba was to leave I’d prefer to midfielders and we could just keep Dalot for RB depth. But realistically a defensive midfielde and RB would be ideal.

CM10

But are there many other options than a 31 year old that will cost upwards of £20m at right back? As there are a dozen central midfielders under £40m as potential options
You know what you're getting with Trippier. He'd give the squad the balance it needs, both in terms of a different option and cover for Wan-Bissaka should he get injured.

He's not necessarily the glamorous signing but he's the smart one. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a sustained period of Dalot or Brandon Williams at RB if it came to it, and banking on Wan-Bissaka staying fit for 50+ games is a dangerous game to play.

There may be more midfield options out there but let's face it, most of them would still represent punts. Camavinga is the only one who stands out to me in that price bracket. I know they're the pantomime villains on this forum, but I'd sooner have a period with one of Fred/McTominay in the team than Williams or Dalot.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't particularly get the idea that we need 2 CMs if Pogba leaves. I'm certainly not a massive Fred fan but a midfield of Bruno + Fred + X would be absolutely fine, depending on who X is. Obviously I'd like another CM but if we've upgraded from the McFred pairing we're doing okay for this summer.

Meanwhile even leaving aside AWB's faults and the different options an attacking RB would bring, on a basic level we need cover for him at RB. I don't fancy trying to compete for a title if Dalot or Lindelof have to fill in at RB if AWB gets injured. And in the case of Trippier, we'd be signing someone who might actually start ahead of AWB, as he does for the national side.

Cman

Don’t think it’s a case of either or with RB and CM. More a case of Dalot or Trippierfor RB. Think their prices will be close enough to the same so feel getting Trippier is more dependant on moving Dalot than anything else.

cyril C

Assuming Pogba leaves, it is only fair / make sense, to give VDB a chance. So 1 MF with higher priority. Williams and Dalots are done, possibly to loan or sell. Having said that, finding an appropriate RB is an issue because relegating AWB to the bench is not easy. I personally prefer the Koude option who can play in the middle. Hence Bailly the odd man out, without any tears from me.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need a DM in our squad for sure. PP is a CM, not a DM, and if he leaves, we’ll need a CM too, or I’d be open to Van De Beek taking the role.

I also think Dalot may be able to so a serviceable job covering RB (and potentially LB).

Tyrion

I'd take a RB & CM over two CM's

I'd also take one CM over a RB
Agreed. Unless Pogba leaves. Maybe I'm more positive on AWB than others but I think he's good and that's not as big a weakness as holding midfield for us.

RC89

If Pogba stays - easy, CM and RB

If Pogba leaves - easy, two CMs

I think we're desperate for a competent DM as is. I really don't see us challenging at the very top with either Fred or McTom as a regular feature in our midfield. Useful they may be, they're not at the level required. Neither would command more than a spot on the bench for a true top team and in the case of McTominay recently, maybe not even that.